Shape Shifters Team Chat - SEPTEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• CasandraW
    CasandraW Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    @LaurieWrobo
    Wow, I’m so glad she is going to be ok. What a difficult journey you’ve been on

Sending you well wishes
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Thanks @jessicakrall8 & @CasandraW - I appreciate it & the support - it's been a very tough time
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Armygirlarmyof1 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Weighed in this morning. 216.4. Starting in the group with 222.0. What I originally weighed in at when I started with mfp was 265.5. Still aways too go but it's better then where I was right?
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Options
    @LaurieWrobo, omg. I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. Prayers, love and hugs gf. And its a good thing mil is gonna be fine. You have tons on your plate.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    @laurie_wrobo - I’m sorry to hear about your mother-in-law’s heart attack and all the additional stress of trying to support her while managing your husband’s precarious health — AND dealing with the emergency as you were traveling back home from Las Vegas. You could really use a respite trip just to take care for yourself for a few days. I hope your mother in law recovers quickly so you and your husband can focus on his next round of chemotherapy and healing. Take care!
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,085 Member
    Options
    kspo8oyhrmft.png

Good morning y'all! Happy Labor Day for those celebrating! Don't you DARE do any work today! LOL :wink:

Got up early and did a little cleaning around the house. Took a walk... .60/mile but it's quickly warming up here in coastal Virginia, so not sure what the day will bring. Started a good book and since I'm on vacation this week, that will likely be my focus.

Tomorrow the painters come to paint my kitchen. Awaiting the installation of the new appliances, the electrician to install the new recessed lighting and the lights under the cabinets, then cleaning and inspections and it will FINALLY be finished! I'm SO psyched!

Feels good to be nearing completion. I'm going to fix a chicken sandwich in my air fryer for one meal today...maybe some french fries with it...other meal will likely be turkey with melted cheddar sandwiches and some steamed veggies. That's my menu for today.

Hope you guys enjoy a wonderful day today! What's everyone up to?
    Jessica :smile:
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Motivational Monday

Since today is the Labor Day holiday in the USA, I selected some quotes that relate to labor and work, which I'm interpreting here as the energy, discipline, or practice of improving our health. We all need to find balance between working to achieve our goals, and managing to rest and rejuvenate. If we see positive results, it gives us momentum to continue building our "practice" of incorporating healthy habits into our daily life. Is there a quote that resonates with you today? If so, let us know which one, and why?

(1) Aristotle — "Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work."

(2) Martin Luther King, Jr. — "All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity."

(3) Colin Powell — "There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure."

(4) Ralph Marston — "Rest when you're weary. Refresh and renew yourself, your body, your mind, your spirit. Then get back to work."

(5) Ovid — "Take rest. A field that has rested gives a bountiful crop."

(6) Margaret Mead — "I learned the value of hard work by working hard."

(7) Ralph Lauren — "A lot of hard work is hidden behind nice things."

(8) Thomas Edison — "Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration."

(9) Donovan Bailey — "Follow your passion, be prepared to work hard and sacrifice, and, above all, don't let anyone limit your dreams."

(10) Pearl Buck — "To find joy in work is to discover the fountain of youth."

There are 30 quotes in the source I used to select the ones above. The pictures include lots of American flags and feels very nationalistic or patriotic depending on your point of view :-)

• Susanna527
    Susanna527 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    Susanna527
    Weigh-In: Mondays
    PW: 202.6
    CW 201

Apologies yet again for being MIA during the week; things have just been overwhelming, but I'm trying to get back on track. Wishing everyone a week filled with health, peace & happiness
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    I'm always struck by the fact that the people working on Labor Day are mainly the people who are underappreciated for the frontline work they do, such as first responders, caregivers, store clerks, restaurant and hospitality industry workers, entertainers, etc. So, this picture is intended as a tribute to those of you who work when most of us have a day off. I'll be doing a little work today but it's not mandatory. I'm developing a website for my company which is long overdue! I'm so grateful for this day to make progress toward that goal. Focusing on gratitude is proven to make us happier. What are you thankful for today? I hope everyone enjoys the day -- Be well, Shape Shifters!

sv7dmuiqlku4.png
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Options
    @PatriceFitnessPal , Thomas Edison has always resonated with me. But I also like some of Colin Powells views on life but I think with him it's the military connection. With Thomas Edison though I think its because he resonates that autistic viewpoint I see in my youngest brother.
  • izzyred9400
    izzyred9400 Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    @LaurieWrobo sorry you've having such a stressful time.Glad your mom in law is OK.Sending hugs ❤️
  • leni1us
    leni1us Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'm going to up my step count from 6,000 to 8,000 for the month of September. I'm slowly working my way up to 10,000/day.

9/4 8,565

• frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,202 Member
    Options
    Daily step goal: 10,000
    Sun 9/4: 10,285
    Mon 9/5: 15,531
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    This is just a quick note to let all our new Shape Shifter team members know that we took an informal poll of our members at the beginning of summer to learn what motivates us.

So, I wanted to give you all a chance to share what motivates you to continue tracking your nutrition and exercise on days when you just don’t feel like it. We want to encourage and support you in ways that work best for you.

If you get a chance, let us know what works for you!
  • Walela617
    Walela617 Posts: 384 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Hi Patrice, What motivates me now is that I am enrolled in a "Path to Lifestyle Change" wellness program run by Massachusetts General Hospital Diabetes Center to help people alter their lifestyles in order to delay or prevent the onset of Diabetes 2 (or improve their heath if they already have it). It can also help prevent development or worsening of heart disease, hypertension and other ailments. It mainly focuses on good nutrition, portion control, increasing activity, etc. Our regular, hour-long conference calls will occur almost every Thursday for six months, then monthly, then bimonthly, etc. (It is a two-year program.) We have to text a photo of our feet on the scale to report our weight every Thursday morning to the nutritionist/dietician who heads up our session; so that's a STRONG motivator for me! (I'm not only "eager to please" but I am also rather competitive!) I'm very excited about this program and I believe that Shape Shifters and the PLC meetings will help me attain my goals!

I should note here that we are also required to submit a food and activity diary every week and we are encouraged to use MFP to generate reports! How 'bout that? MFP approved by Massachusetts General Hospital! I think that's pretty impressive! :smiley:

Have a great week!
    <3 Carole
  • Walela617
    edited September 2022
    Options
    YAY! I found it! (Amazing what scrolling down can show you!) ;)

SEPTEMBER TIMETABLE
    Starting Weights - Submit from Sun AUG 28 - Sat SEPT 3

Week 1 Weigh-in - Submit from Sun SEPT 4 - Sat SEPT 10

Walela617
    WI day: Thursday

Based on above, my starting weight on Thu SEPT 1: 166.4 (Stats say "166.6" but 2nd WI said "166.4"; so I'm going with the lower weight because it seems I've dropped a lot since 9/1 already.)

I will submit my Week 1 Weigh-in on Thu SEPT 8 (following above timetable). Please correct me if the starting weight should be this week instead of last week.

Thanks so much and enjoy your day!
  • Walela617
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Hey @walela617 The timetable you're referencing is mainly for brand new members. Because you've been with us for a few months, we'll go with your last weigh-in and it will remain as recorded that day. I'm looking forward to your reports with this new program you're started because I can just hear/see the motivation in your posts. Can't wait to share your joy as you learn new things, start new habits and really begin to shine in it! Good luck to you! Please share your good and bad days...it will help others going through similar challenges.

I recorded your steps, but our Sept stats begin on Sun, the 4th, so the Sept chart will start on that date.

Take care!
    Jessica
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    OOPS! Hi Jess! Sure! It's fine to go with my final August weigh-in as the start weight for September. I will make sure to post my September 8 weight for week one this Thursday.

166.6 -4.2 -2.59% shows as the End weight recorded for August [9/01 Weigh-In] so I understand that as a returning member this is now my Starting Weight for September.

(FINALLY, "Light dawns on Marble Head"!)

Thanks so much for clarifying and I look forward to sharing news about the program I have joined.

Thanks so much for all your time, effort and patience! (Carole)
  • Yukie_OP
    Yukie_OP Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Yukie_OP , steps udpate & will keep September step challenge goal at 6k daily @jessicakrall8
    9/1 8,078
    9/2 4,755
    9/3 6,621
    9/4 6,873
    9/5 3,878

Spent most of the weekend studying (alot of sitting) but I did put in some time walking while reading on the treadmill * only issue is it doesn't count as "steps" on my tracker, it's counted as exercise (seperately), so I'm okay accepting the lower step count knowing I did my best not to remain too sedentary.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,789 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Hello Everyone, hope you all had a great long weekend. I didnt do much, I worked Sunday but had Saturday and Monday off. Saturday I donated Plasma, and the needle infiltrated my vein, so my arm has been swollen and hurting all weekend, I finally have full range of motion back in it today though, I had no strength in it and couldnt lift anything for a couple days, which made work quite entertaining, lol.

Also, Im taking alot of consideration into making some big changes in my life. For 7 years now I have worked 2 jobs, main job being a school nurse, which I dont have to worry about child care because my kids just come to my office before and after school, and if my daughter is ever admitted into the hospital (shes been hospitalized 4 times due to asthma) they have been wonderful to just let me off, Holidays and weekends off, But the pay isnt great, We have Christmas and summer break, all of which are unpaid, and I just can not afford to not work a 2nd job. My second job is a CNA in a Memory care unit, which is harder work, but better pay. I am thinking about quitting my school job and going full time at the other one. Im already paid $1 an hour more there, Ill have work all year round. I'll get paid for holidays whether I work them or not, and if I do work them, its double time and a half, but only if I am full time. I spoke with my manager, They want me full time and they are willing to work with me and work my schedule around my kids school. Im going to talk to them tomorrow, and if they are willing to pay me more, I might actually do it. I would need a $3 raise to make the same I make with 2 jobs, but I would settle for a $2 raise because they offer OT plus call in pay, plus incentive pay, and shift differential pay, which really adds up. If I switch, I lose a really awesome job that is way easier on my body than my part time job, but it is a lot of sitting and desk work which I do not like. Switching, I would go from 1 day off a week, to 3 or 4 depending on my schedule I take on, which that itself makes it almost worth it to switch. Also I fit in better with the people at the other job, I am just not clicky enough for the school.

I have been thinking for days, and can not decide what to do though, so I will wait for tomorrow and see what management has to offer me, then decide
This discussion has been closed.