Shape Shifters Team Chat - SEPTEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• Yukie_OP
    Yukie_OP Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hello September! hopefully the high heat starts to temper down a bit (here in CA).
    Quick Intro: Full-time working mom, focusing on living a healthier lifestyle & improving my professional career/skillset.
    This month's goals:
    • Keep the progress/momentum I've had these past few weeks
    • Step count 6k daily
    • Study, Study, Study - take & pass exam (professional/work related)
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,087 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Walela617 wrote: »
    YAY! I found it! (Amazing what scrolling down can show you!) ;)

SEPTEMBER TIMETABLE
    Starting Weights - Submit from Sun AUG 28 - Sat SEPT 3

Week 1 Weigh-in - Submit from Sun SEPT 4 - Sat SEPT 10

Walela617
    WI day: Thursday

Based on above, my starting weight on Thu SEPT 1: 166.4 (Stats say "166.6" but 2nd WI said "166.4"; so I'm going with the lower weight because it seems I've dropped a lot since 9/1 already.)

I will submit my Week 1 Weigh-in on Thu SEPT 8 (following above timetable). Please correct me if the starting weight should be this week instead of last week.

Thanks so much and enjoy your day!

@Walela617

We have your starting weight as 166.6, taken from your last weigh in for August. So when you report in, just give us PW: 166.6; CW: whatever it is. You're doing great so far! So excited for your progress! I love your amazing attitude and enthusiasm!

Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,087 Member
    Options
    Yukie_OP wrote: »
    Yukie_OP , steps udpate & will keep September step challenge goal at 6k daily @jessicakrall8
    9/1 8,078
    9/2 4,755
    9/3 6,621
    9/4 6,873
    9/5 3,878

Spent most of the weekend studying (alot of sitting) but I did put in some time walking while reading on the treadmill * only issue is it doesn't count as "steps" on my tracker, it's counted as exercise (seperately), so I'm okay accepting the lower step count knowing I did my best not to remain too sedentary.

@Yukie_OP When you go on the treadmill, put your watch in your pocket and it WILL count your steps, just as if you were swinging your arm. I do the same thing when I go into a store and push a cart, putting my watch in my pocket...your hip movements allow it to track.

Either way, great job!!
    Jessica
  • Walela617
    Walela617 Posts: 384 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Hi, @angmarie28

Wow, that's a LOT to think about! What always helps me with difficult and life-altering decisions, is the good ol' "PLUS/MINUS" columns. It sounds simplistic, I know, but if you make two lists (change jobs and stay as is) and then make two columns for each list marked "PLUS" and "MINUS", it might help make things clearer so you can make the best decision for you and your family. In my case, once I lay it out like that, there are usually more pluses in one decision and more minuses in the other. In your case, it's more complicated because of your daughter's asthma (would the other job be as flexible?) and I'm not sure about your own physical and emotional condition and stamina. "Memory care" sounds like a really challenging and demanding role.

I hope your arm is feeling much better now? I gave plasma - once. It was over three hours. I was shivering so much (due to being cold, though they gave me a heated blanket) they even taped both my arms down! They set up Netflix so I watched a whole movie and part of another one before it was done. I also drank a lot of water before and I was really desperate to use the restroom by the time it was over, LOL! (They really, really are desperate for plasma but I'm not in a hurry to do that again!) I hope they develop a method by which it can be done a lot quicker, then I would try to donate plasma more often.

Bless you, I believe most nurses are like "angels in disguise"! <3 Thank you so much for being there for so many!
    7xcehdt0mydg.jpg
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,789 Member
    Options
    @LaurieWrobo OMG, how scary, so glad she is ok.
  • angmarie28
    Options
    @Walela617 I have done the 2nd job for years, I regularly work 2 jobs and memory care I work weekends and 40-60 hours a week in the summer, so I know I can do it, only thing thats been holding me back is my kids and child care, but if the other job is willing to work with me, I think id like to have more than one day off a week.

and holy cow, 3 hours to give plasma??? That is insane. my first appointment was like 2 hours because of all the screening and questions and paperwork, ect, but now from the moment I walk in to the time I leave, it is 45-60 minutes total. After I am hooked up to the machine, it takes 30 minutes to finish, I have been going twice a week since May. I drink tons of water starting the day before and I pee when I get there so I am not doing the potty dance with a needle in my arm, haha. My right arm is finicky though and I only use it when my left arm needs a break, and this is why, haha. I also take calcium and that helps me not feel so crappy because the anticoagulant they put in you clings to calciun cells and depleats your calcium.
  • Walela617
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Dear @angmarie28,

WOW! Thanks for letting me know! I should totally look into it again then. I donated in Summer, 2021 - maybe they DID come up with a quicker way? At the time, I wondered, "Why are they giving us a Netflix screen?", and it was because it took so long! I will definitely make inquiries. (Not only that, when I donated, BOTH arms were hooked up at once - one taking stuff out and one putting stuff back. (Whole blood out/red cells back?) That's why they had to tape both arms down. (I'm not very technical but I'm very trusting; so I didn't ask too many questions.) I had been receiving about two-three calls per week since then asking me to come back. I had to block the numbers. Maybe I will try again, if they only need one arm and if it takes an hour from screening to end!

Yikes! I don't think I could keep up with all those hours, PLUS kids and child care responsbilities. You must be TOUGH! I hope you do get to have two days off per week.

Cheers and thanks! (Carole)05w49b731xoj.png
  • Walela617
    edited September 2022
    Options
    WAIT a minute, @angmarie28! It was platelets, NOT plasma (DUH!)

Nevahmind! ;)

I might try donating plasma instead then...I usually donate blood when there is a Mass General bloodmobile stationed near my office (I work for Mass General Brigham).

From the Red Cross Site:

How long does it take to donate platelets?

From start to finish, it takes about three hours to donate platelets. It will take approximately 30 minutes to complete the health history questionnaire and for the machine to be personally set-up for you. From there you can expect to be donating for about two hours followed by enjoying a snack in the refreshment area.
    This is because it takes time to separate and collect the platelets from the other blood components. During the process, platelets are removed from your blood and other fluids are returned to you.
    During your donation you can relax, watch a movie, listen to music…in a few hours you’ll have donated enough platelets to help as many as three patients.
    Many donors say platelet donation is their ‘me time’ to unwind from the daily stresses of life while helping save lives.

Source: https://redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/how-to-donate/types-of-blood-donations/platelet-donation.html#:~:text=From%20start%20to%20finish%2C%20it,you%20through%20the%20other%20arm.
  • angmarie28
    Options
    @Walela617 OMG, I was like there is no way I would do that, haha. I get one poke in the arm and that needle takes out the blood, the machine separates the plasma out, then puts the red blood cells back in through the same needle. im far to fidgety to sit still for 3 hours unable to move either arm, haha.
  • angmarie28
    Options
    9/1-7,231
    9/2-8,388
    9/3-5,027
    9/4-10,187
    9/5-9,174
  • pedal__power
    pedal__power Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Happy September Shape Shifters!

Here's my introduction:

I joined this group in August 2022 an enjoying the community motivation and accountability that it brings.

I have a much easier time with getting in daily physical activity. I'm naturally drawn to it. My favourite types of activity include cycling, hockey, walking my dog and circuit training with weights.

I work a desk job, 100% from home. Next week I'm starting one day at the office and looking forward to it! I'll walk to work and plan to take the stairs up 6 floors instead of the elevator!

I get big time fatigue cravings and mostly get into trouble mindlessly snacking at the end of the day when I'm emotionally and physically tired. I haven't figured out how to curb/slow this yet.

Goals for September:

1. Get better sleep. Plan to go to bed earlier
    2. Keep logging my food everyday
    3. Work on being more mindful at the end of the day when I'm tired
  • pedal__power
    pedal__power Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    @Armygirlarmyof1 Welcome to the team! I've been here for one month and have benefited from a lot of great support and encouragement here.

@LaurieWrobo Wow, what a scary and stressful trip! Take care, hope you can find some time to relax through this difficult time.

@Walela617 Can't wait to hear about your new wellness program! You sound very excited about it and it's inspiring to feel it from your posts!

@angmarie28 Sounds like you are weighing the pros and cons. Like Walela617, I usually find it helpful to write out a list of them and talk them over with both family and close friends.

• leni1us
    leni1us Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I forgot to put on my apple watch until late in the day (1:30 pm). I still got a presentable amount of steps in. I got up in the morning and began prepping things for a Labor Day gathering (shopping, cleaning, cooking....)

Steps
    9/5 - 7,871
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    I’m enjoying the introductions and appreciate your insights on what motivates you @Walela617!

@angmarie28 - You’ll make the decision that is right for you and your family. I hope you get the compensation you’re seeking through your meeting with the manager tomorrow. It sounds as though you could really benefit from a break, whether you leave your school nurse job or not. Best wishes for an outcome that brings more balance — and sleep!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the reminder to donate blood. I always donated regularly until I was restricted because I lived in Germany during the ‘mad cow’ outbreak. I am clear now that enough time has passed since living abroad but I need to rebuild the habit. Thanks for the nudge @angmarie28 and @Walela617!
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,593 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Hello Shape Shifters!
    I am a little slow this month, but figured I would post a short intro anyway. There are a lot of people in the group, and I always enjoy reading about everyone, so here goes.
    My name is Laura and I live with my cat Tinus in a tiny town in the Netherlands. I enjoy going for walks in the nearby national park, I read a lot of fantasy books, I like taking pictures of anything nature (my instagram is floraunalaura if you are curious) and I also enjoy singing, jigsaw puzzles and gaming. My energy is very limited due to some health issues so I can't really work out on a schedule. I have always tried to have goal, walk x times a week or something, and I never really manage anyway. So to take that pressure off, I will only be focussing on my calories in for September. Losing weight is 80% food which means I will still be able to do well. I also step a lot throughout the day; it is a lot easier for me to do little walks spread out and I still get a decent calorie burn every day because of my high step count. If I do manage to go out for a walk; awesome! But I am not going to set goals and then feel bad because I can't do it. I sometimes 'forget' I am not healthy, or think I should be able to it anyway, because other people do it too. That's sadly not how it works, so for now it is time to let it goooo. :D
    Good luck to everyone this month. Let's make some positive changes. <3
  • Pupowl
    Options
    Steps (hi, Jess, please add me again to the challenge with 14.000 steps, thank you!)
    Sep 4: 17.764
    Sep 5: 17.657
    Sep 6: 16.506
    Good morning shape Shifters. The past few days have been really hot again, so I have mostly been lazy. Read a lot, stepped some, napped some. We haven't had rain in probably a month; it was really bad. Grass is yellow everywhere and when you walk on it, it is crunchy as if you are stepping on snow. I also ran out of rainwater so I had to water my plants with tapwater twice; I hate doing that! Since it seems like the summers are only getting dryer, I think I will get a second 750L water tank soon. The one I have always fills up really easily since it collects water from a flat roof so filling up a second one will be a piece of cake. We finally had rain last night and 1,5 hours of thunder around 2:00. So sleep wasn't great, but I am really happy this hot weather seems to be done. Happy Wednesday everyone <3
  • Pupowl
    Options
    @PatriceFitnessPal
    I have seen the kitty several times, and thankfully she looked better again. I am still not sure what his plans are since he seems to change his mind very easily. It is possible he will still give her up to the shelter. I know in some cases they ask for a clean bill of health thing from a vet before taking in a surrender, so maybe he needs to sort that out first. I honestly don't want to ask him or engage because he pisses me off so much. :D I will still keep an eye on the cat though.
    I am glad the book has been helpful! Dementia is such a hard illness to deal with as a loved one.
    My reading list feels like a never ending rabbit hole. A lot of the books on there are part 1 of a series. So if I enjoy the fist book, there is another pile hidden underneath I have to tackle as well. I could read only the first books of them all to start with, but that makes no sense to me. So knocking out those 66 books is going to take a while. I do read very fast. When I am in the mood, I average around 5 books a week (if they aren't crazy long).
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Armygirlarmyof1 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    @PatriceFitnessPal , what motivates me is my retirement 11 year old black lab mix. He gets me up no matter how I feel. He's my best friend.
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Current Maintenance Weigh In:
    Still higher than I want to be, but I'm bloated from vacation, stress & migraine- which is finally gone today after having it for 3.5 days 😔
    So I should be able to get my water in since I'm not feeling nauseous anymore
This discussion has been closed.