HOW WAS YOUR DAY???? A DAILY CHECK IN

Options

Replies

• rstanford3
    rstanford3 Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    We miss you too, Ann!
    I fell short of my protein goals yesterday. 19/20/17, so I'll have to work on doing better today. Yesterday I was eating leftovers from Easter brunch - a little high on carbs.
    Looks like it is going to be a beautiful day here. I hope to get in some yard work. Have a great day!
  • titus2cat
    titus2cat Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Ann, I wouldnt last two days without internet. I would have to check into a hotel. Sad but true!

28 grams of protein for brealfast. Best I have managed since the challenge started.
    Making yogurt today. Determined to get all the therapy exercises in. May put my zinnea seedlings in the ground. Still debating if I think they are hardy enough. Church meeting tonight to hear missionaries from Nicaragua. Not sure I spelled that correctly, but you know where I mean. I got mad at spell check and turned it off. This is my only day with no babysitting this week. Got to make the most of it!
  • rstanford3
    Options
    23/25/15 so I fell short at dinner. I got in a good amount of exercise today digging a new perennial bed in the front yard. I worked outside for 3 hours and will probably have to put in 3 more hours tomorrow. I should sleep well tonight.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am happy to find this group. I have been reading all the positives threads. I am a 64 y/o with Ménière's disease and Celiac's disease. I am working towards a healthier lifestyle despite a few health problems. My first goal started in January was to lose 25 lbs by May 1. I am 4 lbs away from that goal by watching calories, increasing protein, walking and peloton bike. I am dividing my goals by increments and after each goal I will try to maintain the weight loss for a month. I can lose weight but never focused on maintaining and have always regained weight. I love walking my little dogs but that does not give me much exercise...the Peloton bike is challenging but enjoyable. I am looking for friends to be supportive, non judgmental and celebrate all types of victories. I will do the same!
  • rstanford3
    Options
    Hi @bisky. Happy you found us! We are a small group, but very, very supportive and nonjudgmental. We try to touch base daily, and we weigh in on Mondays. We don't report our actual weight, just how much we went up/down or if we stayed the same. We've been creating weekly challenges for each other and are aiming for strength, fitness, and good health in addition to weight loss. Your plan of action sounds great, and congratulations on nearing your goal.
    titus2cat is Cat.
    annliz is Ann.
    rstanford3 is Randi.
    criscra2001 is Gerri.
    Welcome!
  • rstanford3
    Options
    25/27/25 today so better than yesterday. I've been digging a new perennial bed in the front yard for the past 2 days. I'm not quite done yet. My body is screaming tonight. :D
  • bisky
    Options
    Randi - Thank you for the welcome! Do you list meal plans and exercise?

Gardening is great exercise and rewarding. We planted Hostas and impatients on our north side a couple of weeks ago. The areas that get a lot of sun we recently put in pollinators and native plants.
  • rstanford3
    edited April 2023
    Options
    We don't tend to list meal plans and exercise. I have impatiens growing on our kitchen table right now, waiting to be planted in our many shady beds. I have some blue hostas that will go in the bed I am currently digging. It is well shaded and will have ferns, spiderwort, and lungwort as well. I'm in southern New England, so it's still a bit early for annuals. We are having a crazy, warm streak this week. Temps today and tomorrow are expected to be in the 80s!
  • titus2cat
    Options
    Welcome Bisky! I hope you enjoy our group.
    Getting enoughprotein is getting easier. Thanks for a great challenge, Randi.
    My doc added two more BP meds to what I already take. If it doesnt come down in two weeks, I will get sent to a cardiologist. I sm trying my best to get it down. Dash diet. Exercise. If anybody has any more advice, please post. I am desperate. My numbers are consistently around 201/105. I never had this problem until I became allergic to Lisinopril. It served me well for almost 20 years. Now I am a mess and have had reactions to two other drugs so far.

I am trying to keep up with the physical therapy exercises. It’s just impossible on babysitting days. I get home after 12 hours with a 4 year old and I am totally whupped. Any advice on finding energy in this situation?

Today I picked up two strawberry salads with chicken at Panera. Spent over $27 on them and got home to discover they left the chicken off them both. There went my protein *grrrrr*. My husband said he liked them better without the chicken.😊. I left off the dressing and chose the apple side instead of the bread that I really wanted. Do these choices ever get easier? I started last July and it seems just as hard now as it was then.

Share your non scale victories. They encourage me.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,474 Member
    Options
    Hi all, struggling a bit my weight remaining the same. My son has moved back in so most of my time has been trying to get his house into mine which has been a huge stressful time, lots of lifting and tip runs to empty the house.
    I know I am not earing properly but just don't feel like it at the moment.
    Hey ho I know I will get there in the end.
  • bisky
    Options
    Thank you Ann for the welcome. You have a lot on your plate. I am a retired ER nurse. I hope you find some solutions to your high blood pressure. It sounds like you are doing everything right, decreasing salt, exercising and eating healthy. I always go to the Mayo Clinic on line for health advice. They are kinda the mother ship of hospitals and latest evidence based treatment.https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/in-depth/high-blood-pressure/art-20046974. I hope you see a cardiologist. I am seeing one next week.

My non scale victory yesterday was no artificial sugars, no sugar and no protein bars. I cut out sugars on a daily basis in January. Was having a lot of crystal light, protein bars with low sugar and sugar free puddings. I was using protein bars as a treat and now I am trying to switch to fruit & cheese...with same amount or less calories. The protein bars pack a lot of protein....but not sure how healthy it really is. I reasoned better than a snickers bar.

Randi - I love Blue hostas...I grew them when we lived in Annapolis, MD. We are now in San Antonio, TX and I am hoping my hostas will survive the heat this summer. I have not seen blue ones here.

• rstanford3
    Options
    If I continue to behave myself for the rest of today, my protein intake will be 22/22/20. We are getting Thai food for dinner. I can't wait! We haven't had it in a long time.
    Cat, I didn't realize that your BP was still out of control. My first thought was the Mayo Clinic, too, but I think you're already doing almost all that they suggest. Do you track salt/sodium intake? Can you relax more? :D If you need to see a cardiologist, so be it. You've got to be in fine fettle for your upcoming surgery. Can you cut back on babysitting? I know you love your kids and your grandkids, but when we're in our 60s, we just don't have the same level of energy as we did when we were raising our own kids.
    Ann, your life sounds so stressful right now. It's hard to make healthy choices when you're stressed and exhausted. I hope that things ease up soon and know that you'll be back on track when they do.
    Bisky, in my opinion, protein bars can be okay, but I think cheese and fruit are better. My bias is against highly processed foods.
    I have a non scale victory! As Ann and Cat know, my weight has been pretty stagnant in 2023 in spite of eating well and exercising. People have been telling me that I am getting smaller in spite of my plateau. I went through my closet the other day. The pants I fit into for Christmas now fit with room to spare. Pants that were too small for me last summer are now too big and had to be put away. :)
  • bisky
    Options
    Happy Friday,

Randi - I agree about processed food. I am slowly trying to eliminate them but in a crunch, to get the protein in I do fall back on them.

Ann - life has cycles and sometimes as much as we want to be healthy and eat right we just aren't feeling it. Hugs.

I made the best green smoothie today: 2 cups of baby greens, 1/2 mango, ginger slice, lemon slice, vanilla protein powder and Fairlife milk plus ice cubes. It was so good I might have it for lunch.

NSV: Made it to 30 minutes on Peloton bike. First time in years since I was ill. Still need to walk my dogs...but they are such tourist to walk...they stop, look and smell every 5 minutes and that it isn't really exercise.

Last night was not a victory. I am so bad in social situations....and this was something I hosted....so I could have had more control. I had 3 ladies over for Mah Jongg....they were trying to be so nice about me needing to be gluten free. They brought over all this processed snack food that is high in sugar and salt. Sigh.....did I put out veggies or fruit? Or even cheese? Nope, I made lemon bars that were not gluten free...I did not eat them but I am just as bad. I did put out some nuts. Of course the scale was up this a.m. Boo.

Well Ciao for now, have a great weekend.

• rstanford3
    Options
    Bisky, all of us here have all confessed to having less than stellar days! Social occasions are always a challenge. I hope I didn't sound harsh about processed foods. When I reread my post, I saw it could be taken that way. I have tried to minimize processed foods in my diet as much as possible as I am hoping to cultivate a healthy microbiome. I do keep some Kind bars on hand. I'll put one in my purse if I think I'm going to get hungry, then possibly hangry which for me is a set up for bingeing. Your smoothie sounds good.
    Cat and Ann, I hope that you both had good days.
    We had our second day of temps in the 80s. Tomorrow should be better. We had ice cream for lunch, not the healthiest choice - I know - but we do that ~1x per month during the warm months, and I did stay within my calorie limit.
    Have a great weekend everyone.
  • bisky
    Options
    Randi - no you did not sound harsh at all I and I agree with you. My protein bars are very processed and not natural at all....they were good to use when I was weaning off candy bars or had nothing prepared but you know the saying by Maya Angelou “Do the best you can until you know better. Then, when you know better, do better.” That is how I feel about trying to decrease processed foods and incorporate healthier choices. My protein choice for yesterday's afternoon snack with apple was almond butter....much more satisfying than the protein bar. I realized I have a lot of choices for afternoon dips such as fat free greek yogurt and berries, nuts and or nut butter with apple...much more satisfying. I am going to a card making work shop today and taking carrots and celery with healthy dip.

Note to self buy baby kale not mature kale for smoothie...just too strong and bitter.
  • titus2cat
    Options
    Ann, I’ve got your family in my prayers. It takes some serious adjustments when a grown child moves back home with children. I know this must be hard for you.

Bisky- do you ever miss the excitement of being sn ER nurse. I am friends with a former ER nurse and she can tell some very exciting stories. Also sad ones.
    When my husband was first disgnosed with GIST cancer in his small intestines, I went to cancer cooking school at the cancer treatment center. They gave us a green smoothie recipe I made him twice a day. He had been shown to have multiple polyps during a colonoscopy where they removed the first six. The plan was to remove 6-10 polyps every two months until they got them all. When he went back for the second round eight weeks later, there wasn’t a polyp to be found. The docs said they could not explain it. I am convinced it was getting rid of unhealthy food choices and focusing on pure nutrition. Plus prayers.
    Now we grow organic veggies in the bsckyard and shop our local farmer’s market. Clean eating takes a bit of homework, but it is worth it.

Randi- I carry Kind minibars in my purse. They have saved me from manic fast food drive-thru behavior many times 😂
  • titus2cat
    Options
    How did I do today?
    So far so good with calories. Still trying to make myself go exercise. I am so tempted to have another slug day.
  • rstanford3
    Options
    So Cat, did you have a slug day or did you exercise? Enquiring minds want to know! :D
    Bisky, a card workshop sounds fun. (Disclosure: I am a card maker) Hope you enjoyed it.
    Ann, thinking of you and hoping all is well in your world.
    I had a bit of a slug day myself yesterday. I had various body aches from the gardening I was doing, so I opted not to do any yardwork yesterday.
    Are we psyched for the Monday weigh-in? Have a great day today!
  • titus2cat
    Options
    Randi snd Bisky, i admire cardmakers. If I didnt have too many hobbies than I have time for already, I would go learn to fo this. I need to make two baby gifts for the end of May. Debating if I want to sew quilts or swaddle blankets or make handknit sweaters.
    I had a modified slug day, Randi. I did my physical therapy isometric and core exercises snd skipped the quads and ellipsis. A little bit is better than nothing, right?
  • titus2cat
    Options
    I dread the weigh in tomorrow. I havent been as faithful with exercise as I should have been and I fear the scales will reflect this. If I don’t exercise, I dont lose weight. I just hope I don’t show a gain.