Shape Shifters Team Chat - JUNE 2023

Options

Replies

• PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Do any of you pay for the MFP membership, currently it costs $79.99/year.

If so, do you think it is worth it?

I don’t pay for the membership but I use many of the free features, such as the short videos on specific topics, etc. I think @jessicakrall8 pays for full membership and finds it useful. So, she may be able to point to the paid features that she values (if my memory is correct about her MFP status).
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    @Itadakimasu7 - I love your sense of adventure — and also your sense of humor!

My older son will celebrate his 23rd birthday in August so I feel your (aches and) pain. I also understand the paradox of not feeling old at heart — I’ll embrace it with you!

You might want to consider moving to Kanazawa or Kyoto in Japan. Kanazawa is a quieter location the really seems to embrace the idea of introducing the Japanese language and culture to international visitors. Kyoto attracts more tourists, of course, but it still feels much smaller than Tokyo. There are also places like Hakone that are closer to Tokyo but have more ‘rural’ areas.

Have you heard of the JET program? Many of the locations are quite rural or suburban. Here’s a link: https://jetprogramusa.org/

When I first moved to Japan, I taught English and lived with a family who had a daughter that wanted to practice her English so she could attend a college in the United States. I lived in the outskirts of Machida, which is about a 35 minute train ride to the center of Tokyo. I had to take a bus to Machida (about 20-30 minutes, if I remember correctly) so my family considered the area to be ‘inaka’ (rural, countryside).

My home stay family also took me to visit their hometown in Nagano, which I enjoyed. I traveled there again with my husband, uncle, and a friend when my Dad was one of the coaches for the 1998 Olympic team (USA men’s ice hockey) and explored the area a little more. If you like the mountains, Nagano and Sapporo (on the Hokkaido island) might be fun.

For some reason, I picture a trip to Studio Ghibli in your future. Are you a Miyazaki fan? We took our boys there in 2011 while visiting some friends and family because they loved Tonari no Totoro My Neighbor Totoro) and his other animated films. My husband is half Japanese so he has some cousins and other relatives there. He was born and raised in Boston but teaches karate and works with Japanese clients in his current business (and as a government employee before retirement). I’m thinking about visiting Japan with him during one of his future trips but I have to get my passport renewed first.

One place I want to visit is Toyota’s Woven City but I’m not sure if it’s open to everyone so I’ll need to do some research first:

https://www.woven-city.global/

Japanese food is so delicious and I find it relatively easy to find healthy options. Since I do a lot of walking and use a bicycle to get to the train station, it’s probably easier to stay fit through every day life, too! I’ll look forward to hearing more about your travels as your plans develop!

• jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,111 Member
    Options
    Do any of you pay for the MFP membership, currently it costs $79.99/year.

If so, do you think it is worth it?

I don’t pay for the membership but I use many of the free features, such as the short videos on specific topics, etc. I think @jessicakrall8 pays for full membership and finds it useful. So, she may be able to point to the paid features that she values (if my memory is correct about her MFP status).

Yes @patricefitnesspal and @looneycatblue I pay for the annual membership. I like having some of the extra tracking features like ability scan items into your food history...I also HATE ads, so don't have to deal with those...
    Jess
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,111 Member
    Options
    Long day at the office day and stayed later to finish up something. Got a lot done today, but can never keep up with all of the emails...

Air quality is in the dangerous zone...can only imagine what it's like in NY and in Canada...they have my sympathy!!! So can't walk outdoors without a mask and it's humid too...so walked inside today. I do that a lot anyway because of the heat/humidity.

Very tired and getting ready to lie down. Having a weird food day...eating my breakfast for dinner...way under on calories...so my planning wasn't shabby.

Have a nice evening!
    Jessica
  • Itadakimasu7
    Itadakimasu7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    @PatriceFitnessPal - Wow, thanks for elaborating on your time in Japan. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews from love to hate. I've spent a lot of time learning the culture and attempting to learn the language because I wasn't sure how long I would have there and wanted to understand what I was seeing and how things worked. I have friends that have gone for a couple of weeks on vacation and come back with discovering a few food dishes, but not much else, lol. I didn't want to get put into a fish bowl of foreign traveler.

My husband wants to teach English and since his step Dad was an English professor at a major University his skills are really good in that department, although he's a tech / security expert - he thinks teaching English would be relaxing at least for awhile. I would rather teach tech or art. I would definitely love to visit Studio Ghibli.

There is a kinda other worldly vibe to Japan, it's like that on the Oregon Coast too - not the same vibe, but a vibe that makes you feel like you've arrived at a different sort of place.

Hey thanks for sharing, I'll add you to my friends list if that's okay!
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Here is the daily card
    pl1nup2forim.jpg
  • izzyred9400
    izzyred9400 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
  • izzyred9400
    Options
    Just trying to see if I can add a photo
  • alleykat69
    alleykat69 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Steps for June 6: 2880
    June 7: 4994
  • izzyred9400
    Options
    @Pupowl thank you for your tips but as you can see above my photo posting under the spoiler still wasn't successful!
    I'm having a lovely time in Greece,my son & his girlfriend arrive tomorrow so it will be good to see them.
    I wanted to ask to be removed from the step challenge for June please.Unfortunately my Garmin watch tracker has died on me 🙁
    I did go in the sea with it on yesterday but as far as I know it's OK to swim wearing it.I have no other way to track steps as I don't want to stroll up & down the beach holding my mobile phone.
    Great reading everyone's posts.Just going to have an afternoon siesta to prepare for another night of eating & drinking 🍸
  • Zaxa2021
    Zaxa2021 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Step Update
    6/6 - 17,167
    6/7- 10,397
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Wed, Jun 7th
    Steps = 10,085 (had to do a bit of house stepping to make it to 10k)
  • Sbus12
    Sbus12 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Steps
    6/6 14,819
    6/7 14,906
    6/8 14,235
  • Itadakimasu7
    Itadakimasu7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    @Pupowl -- Not sure you're active in your local art community / guild / gallery but your photos are professional quality and would be appreciated anywhere you showed them. You have a real knack for capturing several types of layouts and appreciating how light works. That's not a good camera, that's a good eye.
This discussion has been closed.