Get Your GREENS! August 2024 Challenge 🧉 🥗 🥝 🥑

Replies

• mkksemail
    mkksemail Posts: 1,661 Member
    edited August 22
    That photo is just gorgeous, @SafariGalNYC ! I can only imagine how beautiful it must have been IRL 😍.

I got my GREENS today!

Thursday GREENS was my now-staple, Avocado Toast w/ egg & greens, but I used Red Wine Vinegar for the drizzle today, rather than the Balsamic Vinegar. Bad choice! LOL It's way too 'vinegar-y' for me! 🤣
  • mkksemail
    PS, that egg scramble, butter lettuce, and flax toast looks sooooooooo good !
  • dannytrees1
    dannytrees1 Posts: 314 Member
    Good day everyone 😁
    My greens were at lunch with a fresh salad.
    It was a busy day for me doing firewood, plus working in the shop.
    But the weather is great up north here.
    I did manage to pick some green string beans, onions and another cucumber for tomorrow… my goodness I have so many cucumbers… I need to give more away soon.
    Smoothie is in the plan tomorrow morning and celery for a snack tonight.
    🛺🌴🌴🌴🌴⛵️
  • mkksemail
    Sounds like a lovely day, Dannytrees! What part of the world do you live in? I'm in Maine/US :).
  • BodyTalking
    BodyTalking Posts: 2,813 Member
    I don't know if I mentioned, but every evening, I have a drink made from ginger shot, turmeric, gelatine, frozen fruit and tonic water 😋 I first made it for another challenge and I've had it with mango (the best), cherries, raspberries, blueberries or first fruit mix.

That's morning, I had yoghurt with banana, psyllium, fruit and seed muesli, dried apricots and prunes, walnuts and cashews.

(The app isn't letting me post a picture)
  • BodyTalking
    pzw7gg51xkzb.jpg
    Could add it here
  • dannytrees1
    mkksemail wrote: »
    Sounds like a lovely day, Dannytrees! What part of the world do you live in? I'm in Maine/US :).
    I’m up in the bear country Ontario Canada 🤠🌴

• dannytrees1
    @BodyTalking You are making some interesting blends.
    We all seem to like trying new stuff here 🌴🌴
    @SafariGalNYC You must be getting excited this week… and that shake yesterday looked amazing
    I think the Cucumbers gave it that extra kick 😁🌴⛵️
    Well this morning my shake
    Diet Pom juice
    Cucumber 💪
    Cacao nibs
    Celery
    My own green beans
    Blueberries
    Greek yogurt
    Green powder
    1 scoop of fiber
    Baby spinach

nmx562f0b454.jpeg

My green shakes never look like there green… maybe I need to skip the pomegranate juice and use water?

It’s Friday and I feel great
    Have a great day everyone
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited August 23
    @SafariGalNYC You must be getting excited this week… and that shake yesterday looked amazing
    Diet Pom juice
    Cucumber 💪
    Cacao nibs
    Celery
    My own green beans
    Blueberries
    Greek yogurt
    Green powder
    1 scoop of fiber
    Baby spinach

nmx562f0b454.jpeg

My green shakes never look like there green… maybe I need to skip the pomegranate juice and use water?

@dannytrees1 - love the shake!!

typing from the Caribbean 🏝️ 🌊 as we speak!! Going to have Creole greens for dinner for sure. Will get a pic! 📸
  • daria0919
    daria0919 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Hello All! I just joined this group today 😀

Love all the green photos and healthy food choices! Here’s a meal I had a couple of days ago:

alti6iybjgte.jpeg

Looking forward to posting my greens here! It’ll help me consciously increase my greens daily.

Thanks for letting me in this group!

Cheers!
  • dannytrees1
    daria0919 wrote: »

Love all the green photos and healthy food choices! Here’s a meal I had a couple of days ago:

alti6iybjgte.jpeg

Looking forward to posting my greens here! It’ll help me consciously increase my greens daily.

Cheers!

Welcome to our group
    That looks delicious
    How did you cook the shrimp
    Were they frozen?
    Cheers🌴🛺
  • dannytrees1
    More green for lunch
    2 wraps
    Smoked chicken
    Baby spinach
    Light feta
    Cucumber
    Cacao bits
    wxocko3yhugw.jpeg
    Green grapes
    Life is good 🌴🌴🌴🛺🛺🛺⛵️
    @SafariGalNYC lots of fresh protein out there🤠🌴🌴🌴
    Happy Friday
    Danny
  • mkksemail
    I don't know if I mentioned, but every evening, I have a drink made from ginger shot, turmeric, gelatine, frozen fruit and tonic water 😋 I first made it for another challenge and I've had it with mango (the best), cherries, raspberries, blueberries or first fruit mix.

That's morning, I had yoghurt with banana, psyllium, fruit and seed muesli, dried apricots and prunes, walnuts and cashews.

(The app isn't letting me post a picture)

@BodyTalking , that drink sounds interesting ! 👀 I'd love to see the recipe, and I'm not sure what ginger shot and gelatine are 🤔. I may have to 'translate' that to 'American' 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. But, I"m intrigued~!

Diet Pom juice
    Cucumber 💪
    Cacao nibs
    Celery
    My own green beans
    Blueberries
    Greek yogurt
    Green powder
    1 scoop of fiber
    Baby spinach

nmx562f0b454.jpeg

Noooo, how can you dump pom juice in favor of water! 🤯😍 Looks and sounds delicious, and wooooo yay for feeling great !

daria0919 wrote: »

alti6iybjgte.jpeg

Cheers!

Welcome, @daria0919 !! That shrimp salad looks fab 😋

Diet Pom juice
    Cucumber 💪
    Cacao nibs
    Celery
    My own green beans
    Blueberries
    Greek yogurt
    Green powder
    1 scoop of fiber
    Baby spinach

nmx562f0b454.jpeg

@dannytrees1 - love the shake!!

typing from the Caribbean 🏝️ 🌊 as we speak!! Going to have Creole greens for dinner for sure. Will get a pic! 📸

ooooo @SafariGalNYC Caribbean !! Which island are you visiting, I forget now, which you said. Enjoy !! We leave on Monday for Istanbul. Can't wait !

• mkksemail
    edited August 23
    More green for lunch
    2 wraps
    Smoked chicken
    Baby spinach
    Light feta
    Cucumber
    Cacao bits
    wxocko3yhugw.jpeg
    Green grapes
    Life is good 🌴🌴🌴🛺🛺🛺⛵️
    @SafariGalNYC lots of fresh protein out there🤠🌴🌴🌴
    Happy Friday
    Danny

Cacao bits! 👀😍
    Wow, that looks great !

• mkksemail
    edited August 24
    I'll be out of town for a couple weeks starting Monday, so I started a September thread today :).

My greens were a bit of a desert today 😬, tho I did have some lettuce and pickles on my sandwich 😄🥬 🥒

🤣
  • filmgal30
    filmgal30 Posts: 4,186 Member
    I’m definitely not young, but I feel like a newbie when it comes to eating fruit/veg, especially greens.

Before I got married I was a pescatarian, but moving to the midwest when I married destroyed that. It’s all pork & beef out here & my partner is a big meat eater. Many years later and a whole lot of gained weight I’m trying to be healthier for some chronic health issues but it’s hard. I’ve become super picky about lettuce-the minute it looks wilted a tiny bit I’m like “no!”

I’m hoping this challenge will really help me eat more plant centric and up my fruit/beg intake.

This past work week (back to school) was very hectic so I ended up relying on fast food, but I did get some avocado in a sushi roll, cucumber, dried seaweed twice (not sure you’d really count that as a veg, but it’s green & I love snacking on it, some salsa (again no green, but definitely tomatoes, onion, jalapeño a bit, corn on the cob, roasted potato). So some veg, but my goal for the weekend is to ramp up the veg, especially greens!

@mkksemail I sm excited to see what fruit/veggies you est while in Turkey. Have a great trip!
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited August 24
    Hi @daria0919 !! & @filmgal30 so nice to have you join the group!! 🌿

@filmgal30 - I am also picky about greens esp lettuce. I’ve abandoned more than a few lonely heads of lettuce in my time. Now I only buy what I think I will use so it doesn’t wilt or go to waste. I eat so many more lettuces now as an adult. I really only grew up on iceburg lettuce. (The foxy head in cellophane at the grocery store lol. 🥹)

@daria0919 - love the shrimp salad!! 🥗

@BodyTalking - ooh really enjoy turmeric /ginger and either gelatine or collagen in my shakes.. really like the hydration it’s given my skin. I wish I had known about the anti inflammatory effects of roots earlier!

@dannytrees1 @mkksemail
    I am currently in St. Lucia- this sailing ⛵️ expedition is -Barbados, Mustique, (Grenadines) and then on up to Antigua and finally Turks and Caicos. Weather has held up.

This morning on my field trip- had some amazing mango, pineapple, cantaloupe and soursop- added it to some collagen protein (brought from home ✈️ ) to local green vegetables . 🥬 (cucumber, callaloo and okkra)

I love going to grocery stores when I travel. 💚

mppb0g257df3.jpeg
    sarun5dbxija.jpeg

npwrigr27jgy.jpeg

🥬 Greens aboard ⛵️☺️🥒 🌿

• BodyTalking
    edited August 24
    @mkksemail ginger shot is a drink that is made from freshly squeezed ginger and lemon, some have apple or spices added. There are several of these ginger based drinks and I think the Lidl version is the best for taste and value - especially the XXXL bottle. Of course, you can make your own mix, and I sometimes do, but it just makes it quicker to buy the bottle. Gelatin, in US English, I just dissolve a sheet in the drink.
  • BodyTalking
    I had a 'what's in the fridge?' lunch today - half mini quiche, small sausage, boiled egg, grilled pepper, cherry tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, spring onion, mixed beans, coleslaw, hummus and a slice of buttered wholemeal bread. Didn't take a pic.
  • dannytrees1
    Homemade salad for lunch today
    Red onion and cucumber fresh out of my garden.
    I also picked some green beans for tonight.
    @SafariGalNYC Thanks for the photos, looks relaxing there.
    It’s great that you get to try new foods and drinks there🌴🌴🤠
    Sail on⛵️

c0340f9b2esg.jpeg

Happy Saturday everyone 🌴🌴🌴🌴🛺
  • filmgal30
    filmgal30 Posts: 4,186 Member
    @BodyTalking is the geletin a way to add more collagen in your diet or for something else?
  • mkksemail
    ooooo, so interesting, BodyTalking. TY for explaining.

ahhhhhhh your pix, SG !!! Love love love love love !!! Filmgal, I'm about where your are on your freggie journey, but I LOVE this challenge SG encouraged me to join. It's really exactly what I need. I will do my best to take and add pix while travelling. You guys are going to anchor me - I disappeared after my trip last year (I fell and injured my knee, while on a 3+ whirlwind country/place-hopping trip last yr, and used it as an excuse to absolutely sabotage every good gain I'd made over the previous 19 mos :p ).

I've been stupid busy this week. When I return, I'll be much more grounded, and amping up my freg intake fer sure.

~ mk :)
  • mkksemail
    edited August 24
    Homemade salad for lunch today
    Red onion and cucumber fresh out of my garden.
    I also picked some green beans for tonight.
    @SafariGalNYC Thanks for the photos, looks relaxing there.
    It’s great that you get to try new foods and drinks there🌴🌴🤠
    Sail on⛵️

c0340f9b2esg.jpeg

Happy Saturday everyone 🌴🌴🌴🌴🛺

Happy Saturday, dannytrees !!
    I absolutely adore that you can go outside and pick what you need, throw it in your smoothie or salad, and then YUM! Love it!
  • dannytrees1
    @mkksemail have fun on your trip
    And play safe🤠💪
    You will be able to try new smoothies too🛺🌴

I made this for a snack
    Lots of greens in it
    Broccoli
    Cucumber
    Spinach
    Lemon
    Celery 😳🌴🌴🌴
    ueizpzkt2obh.jpeg

Life is good 🌴⛵️🌴
  • daria0919
    daria0919 Posts: 1,094 Member
    mkksemail wrote: »
    I'll be out of town for a couple weeks starting Monday, so I started a September thread today :).

My greens were a bit of a desert today 😬, tho I did have some lettuce and pickles on my sandwich 😄🥬 🥒

🤣

Where are you headed @mkksemail? I hope it’s a grand vacation!
  • mkksemail
    edited August 24
    Thank you ! 🤗 We leave late Monday night for Istanbul, then Copenhagen.
    • We have an overnight flight from Boston to Istanbul, which gets us in at 14:30 local time, since they're 7 hrs ahead of us. We'll be in Istanbul for for 10 days, until Thurs of the next week,
    • then we have another late night flight from Istanbul to Copenhagen, which gets us in to Copenhagen around 11:30, b/c the flight is shorter than BOS-IST (lol) and b/c Copenhagen is only 6 hrs later than here, so we pick up an hour flying to CPH from IST 😎.
    • Four days in Copenhagen, then back home again, on a morning flight that leaves CPH, with a layover in IST, that gets us back to BOS early evening, b/c of the time zone hopes :).
    Really looking forward to it, but kinda stressed, too :p.

Got some veggies today, but none of them are GREEN 🤷‍♀️. For my Hogwart's challenge, one of the challenges is to try a veggie in a new way, so I made a very odd but healthier version of an old favorite from my teenage years lol:

88gavs9pjncu.jpg

The teenage version was buttered rolls with Doritos 🤣. This version is toasted tuna sandwich with habenero roasted chick peas ... and grape tomatoes on the side 😎👀😄. Hubby's version got buttered toast, with a slice of American cheese on both slices of bread. After this pic was taken, I closed up the sandwiches, cut them into quarters, and shared out the grape tomatoes b/w the two plates.

I know I know a bit lame, but hey, at least I ate some plants ! 😁 Hubby said, "It's interesting ... " 😂🤣🤣

Cheers,
    ~ mk :)

• mkksemail
    Happy Sunday !! Gosh, those are beautiful, BT & SG !
  • dannytrees1
    @SafariGalNYC that looks super healthy good work for staying in the grove whilel out exploring new adventures.
    hope the weather been good🌴⛵️

@BodyTalking love the dish you made , i may be adding beet roots soon… good job

@mkksemail your new version looks amazing…. Have fun packing 🌴

This is the Danny Boy Special
    And it tastes great.
    Pomegranate juice
    Celery
    Baby Spinach
    Avocado 🥑
    Strawberries
    Blueberries
    Greek yogurt
    Blend then add a pinch of Cacao nibs on topu73q9abq2cfg.jpeg

Life is good 🌴🌴🌴🌴⛵️🛺