Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first 12 mile run. (I ran 13 once, but this was my first 12 miler.) It was a new route - headed out on a paved trail that I thought wasn't going to be nearly as long as I wanted it to be, so I did a detour on a street to pick up a little extra mileage. As I was coming back I saw another runner cross the street where I thought it had ended, so I followed him. Dang he was fast, but I was able to watch him go across the street, over a block, down a block, across another street, then pick up the trail again. Thank you bright yellow for being extra visible, and the runner for being so tall.

I can't say I loved this run. The final 2 miles I felt pretty exhausted, although looking at my splits they were right in line with what I ran most of the rest of it (the 5th mile was particularly fast for some reason). I felt really satisfied when I was done though because it wasn't easy and I kept going anyway, and my average pace was faster than what I have been getting on my long runs so I'm pleased about that.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Just finished a 29.7-mile week with a wet, rainy 9-mile run today. Got totally soaked but loved it. Yesterday was a 5-mile run after being on my feet for 4 hours running around photographing the Peachtree Jr event in Atlanta. Just finished going through 1300 photos and ending up with with about 150 to send off to the track club. I can finally relax a bit and get ready for the week to come.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first 12 mile run. (I ran 13 once, but this was my first 12 miler.) It was a new route - headed out on a paved trail that I thought wasn't going to be nearly as long as I wanted it to be, so I did a detour on a street to pick up a little extra mileage. As I was coming back I saw another runner cross the street where I thought it had ended, so I followed him. Dang he was fast, but I was able to watch him go across the street, over a block, down a block, across another street, then pick up the trail again. Thank you bright yellow for being extra visible, and the runner for being so tall.

I can't say I loved this run. The final 2 miles I felt pretty exhausted, although looking at my splits they were right in line with what I ran most of the rest of it (the 5th mile was particularly fast for some reason). I felt really satisfied when I was done though because it wasn't easy and I kept going anyway, and my average pace was faster than what I have been getting on my long runs so I'm pleased about that.

Yay for keeping going anyway! That is a HUGE win! And awesome that your average pace was faster than your long runs! Don't you love seeing the dedication and persistence paying off?
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Thanks Lauren. Official time is 26:25, so 1:03 off my all time 5k PB (set at the same course) and my 3rd fastest time there. It's rare for the course to measure 5km on a gps unit, so the fact it hit 5km for Strava and setting a new strava PR rocked!!.

I can't believe I was at conversational pace/effort for the first 4km. It's amazing what some regular running can do. I think if I had a pacer to push me I could have broken 25min today.

Wow! That's great!!!! Congratulations!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    My running partner bailed on me yesterday, so I went to my National Park and ran. 6.51 miles in 71 minutes, so 10:53 avg pace. Probably the best run I have ever done. Everything felt great! I could have gone farther and had plenty of steam left to sprint the last 1/4 mile. Ended up with a slight blister on my left foot, but not nearly as bad as it has been in the past. (I've been concentrating on landing lighter on my feet and ran on the grass as much as I could, instead of on the pavement.)

Put in just over 24 miles on the bike this morning too!

That's fabulous Ceci!!!! You are a powerhouse!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    It's just been in the past few weeks that I've started doing any kind of speed work, and it turns out I really like it. It breaks up the run, and I like seeing the faster pace I'm able to run because of it. I've been having a hard time breaking the 12 minute mark even on shorter runs (had a 2.25 mile run last week @ 11:27 that I was giddy about). This morning I ran 4.18 miles with an average pace of 10:51. That was with 6x400 speed intervals (3/4 mile warm-up run, intervals, cool-down run). I crossed the line the final time at 44:59, and there was an extra 29 seconds in the middle where I hit the wrong button on my Garmin and took the opportunity to take a quick water break when I backtracked to restart the lap.

My 4 mile run five days after my eye surgery took 47:50. My horrible 4 mile run on Easter took 53:59. My 4 mile run with hill repeats last Tuesday took 48:23 (avg 12:05 - which I was really happy with). My 4 mile runs prior to that were in the snow so they were even slower (55:00, 53:52, 54:44).

Also I had forgotten over the winter how much better of a mood I'm in when I can start out the day with a run.

For those of you struggling with the heat already: it was 40 degrees with a cold wind on my run this morning, so I was layered up (including a hood).

Yes! Intervals do make such a difference. The really cool thing is, that you will eventually find that you can maintain that speed over distance, without the breaks. This post makes me anxious and excited to get back to real training again. You need to do a 5K race for fun. I bet you would just KILL it.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Great work everyone! I love seeing everyone's progress. :)

While I try to figure out if I have completely lost my marbles and if I am going to do a 75km ultra next year, I figured I should at least pick my training up a bit in case I decide to do it. So I dug out my Bridge to 10k app, since I haven't been running over 6km at any one time. Picked up where I left off, so Week 2 Day 1 and off I went, 5min warmup walk, 3x 15min run/1min walk 5 min cool down. Made sure I had all pace/distance type alerts turned off so I didn't start to subconsciously race the clock and off I went. Added a few extra loops to my my normal run and only once did I check my phone to make sure it hadn't locked up or something.
    Good run, good pace. Although my headphones started malfunctioning near the end :(
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! My first 10K is coming up this Saturday. I ran the distance (for the first time!) this past Saturday...really to make sure that I could actually do it. I did it in 1:02:31. Would you guys recommend running a 10K with music or not? I've done 5 or 6 5Ks with my friend and we run together, so I didn't have music for those. I did 2 5Ks alone and had music. I'll be doing the 10K alone. Part of me doesn't want to bother with the huge arm band, dangling headphones, etc. but the other part thinks it might be boring to run for an hour with nothing! Not sure if the race excitement is enough. What do you think?

Any other advice for a first-time 10K racer?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! My first 10K is coming up this Saturday. I ran the distance (for the first time!) this past Saturday...really to make sure that I could actually do it. I did it in 1:02:31. Would you guys recommend running a 10K with music or not? I've done 5 or 6 5Ks with my friend and we run together, so I didn't have music for those. I did 2 5Ks alone and had music. I'll be doing the 10K alone. Part of me doesn't want to bother with the huge arm band, dangling headphones, etc. but the other part thinks it might be boring to run for an hour with nothing! Not sure if the race excitement is enough. What do you think?

I think the race excitement is enough. I spent miles three and four fantasizing about punching the guy who kept running backwards to encourage his wife.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

I don't wear music to races but many people do. I like to hear what's going on around me and I also like to hear other people huffing like mad as I pass them! The excitement of the race is enough for me.

My best advice I can give you is to pace yourself. Divide the 10K into segments, like maybe 2 miles each. The first 2 miles should be just on the verge of challenging but still mostly comfortable. You should be able to speak some short sentences to someone else. For the next 2 miles start settling into a slightly faster but manageable pace. Hold it there and don't get tempted to push it yet. The next two miles should be closer to max effort, where you could only speak a couple of words at a time. The last 0.2 should be an all-out sprint to the finish line.

Good luck on your race!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Coming home around 26:23 (According to my phone) So a minute off my all time PB and without leaving myself nearly dead at the end, very happy with that.

Super time! Way to go on the PB!
  • PaytraB
    Options

Nice mileage! It's posts like this that I remember when I'm running and they spur me on.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    I'm still here; just not posting often. I'm running around the neighbourhood, still enjoying the runs and getting stronger. Still running 5K, then adding a few 1K runs as well, usually for a total run of 7-8K. My pace is the same (about 7:30-7:45/km), even with the longer distance. I take that as a win.
    Today, I ran 5K + 2x1K, realized that another 5:45 would mean 60 minutes of running so I did that (total 7.75K/hr).
  • bttrthanevr
    Options

I don't wear music to races but many people do. I like to hear what's going on around me and I also like to hear other people huffing like mad as I pass them! The excitement of the race is enough for me.

My best advice I can give you is to pace yourself. Divide the 10K into segments, like maybe 2 miles each. The first 2 miles should be just on the verge of challenging but still mostly comfortable. You should be able to speak some short sentences to someone else. For the next 2 miles start settling into a slightly faster but manageable pace. Hold it there and don't get tempted to push it yet. The next two miles should be closer to max effort, where you could only speak a couple of words at a time. The last 0.2 should be an all-out sprint to the finish line.

Good luck on your race!

Excellent advice, Tim! When I ran my HM, I approached it as if I were running two 5 mile races and a 5K. I mentally "celebrated" finishing each race.

As for music, I find I often run faster without it, unless I have carefully crafted the playlist. I totally unconsciously speed up or slow down depending upon the BPM of the music. So if you use it, craft your playlist to correspond with the pace you wish to keep. Jogfm.com can give you the pace/bpm for most songs. If I do run with music, I run with only one ear bud in, or keep my music low enough to still hear and talk easily to the person next to me.

Good luck! Can't wait to hear how it goes!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    I'm still here; just not posting often. I'm running around the neighbourhood, still enjoying the runs and getting stronger. Still running 5K, then adding a few 1K runs as well, usually for a total run of 7-8K. My pace is the same (about 7:30-7:45/km), even with the longer distance. I take that as a win.
    Today, I ran 5K + 2x1K, realized that another 5:45 would mean 60 minutes of running so I did that (total 7.75K/hr).

That sounds really good, Petra! Especially the "enjoying the runs" part! :-)
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

That's awesome advice. Once I get through my HM I'm hoping to find a 10K to run, and this is the kind of breakdown I need.
    When I ran my HM, I approached it as if I were running two 5 mile races and a 5K. I mentally "celebrated" finishing each race.

Oh I like that advice too. I'm all about breaking it down into smaller portions. Saturday's run I pretty much just broke it up by when I was going to fuel next, but I like the mini celebrations.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

I haven't actually done a 10K race yet, but I am training for my first HM and I'm not planning on wearing headphones, but I guess there are huge crowds that show up for this race so there's a lot going on to keep me entertained as I run. That and the thousands of other runners, of course. I currently listen to audio books on my long runs but I don't see myself being able to focus on race day so I'm just leaving them behind. The past few weeks I've been skipping the headphones on my shorter runs just to get used to that (the first time I ran without them I was distracted by how loud I felt like I was breathing) and I find I really don't miss music at all.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Ran w3d2 of c25k with my friend yesterday. She is doing great, even wanted to run some into the cool down! I'm doing a pretty decent job of alternating running and riding days with the occasional rest day (usually weather or schedule induced!)
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    The past few weeks I've been skipping the headphones on my shorter runs just to get used to that (the first time I ran without them I was distracted by how loud I felt like I was breathing) and I find I really don't miss music at all.

Yes! Hearing my own breathing was weird! But it was good too, because I could focus better on controlling it.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    Sorry been away.... had my first hard run today, but finding time to run has been hard...

after soccer practice I plan on catching up with everything thats been going on...