Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the great time, Romy!

Ceci, the treadmill isn't my favorite way to run. However, if I keep my mind occupied and refuse to look at the treadmill's display, it makes it easier to bear. Do you have access to a TV or some music?

The treadmill really slows me down. Today I ran 7K in 62:45. I keep telling myself "hey, you ran for an hour!" but it's still a bit deflating. Running outdoors, I can shave 5-8 minutes off of that, which is a lot. I wonder if the old treadmill needs calibrating.

Jantastic won't let me log today's workout. Is anyone else having problems?
    The workout is in the Strava section of my profile page but when I go to "log workout", it's not there and if I manually try to enter it I get a message telling me I can't add a workout until I've completed it. It's ruining my perfect record! :smile:
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Ah...the Jantastic site says that Week 4 was only until Sunday, Feb 1st. I thought we had until today. I hope it lets me add the workout for tomorrow. My perfect January isn't so perfect after all. :neutral_face:
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    PaytraB- I logaged two from strava with no incident today. Hopefully it clears up for you.

Thinags are looking sketchy for running on this work trip based on sunrise/sunset times and work schedule.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Dreadmills detest them, I started on them, ran outside when the gyms aircon failed in the middle of summer, it did get hot in the UK once or twice, honest :D . Went outside never looked back. Best place to start with a dreadmill, walking and then gradually build the speed until you gain confidence, 1% incline makes it fell like outdoors (allegedly), you have to work to go forward as opposed to just getting off the belt. Ignore the pace settings, dreadmills are notoriously inaccurate. Alternatively do some run walk intervals outside, if you feel safe, just take plenty of fluids. You don't have to do what you do at home. Treat it like a set of slower fartlek sessions

taeliesyn, I was in front of you on Strava for 24 hours, suspect not now. Well done, I always find your attitude to your runs refreshing, it seems like a constant set of go/ no go decisions on the fly. Hope you enjoy your group session.

Dreadmill runners, well done, I prefer cross training to dreadmill running, almost anything to a dreadmill. Dreadmills are taeliesyn kids to me.

upsaluki, I am sure you'll find a way. You do some cross training and save the legs for a big effort on your return, if the weather allows.

Great stuff guys
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    Ceci, good work on getting some miles in. I've never braved a dreadmill since I learnt how to run. I have a feeling I may have to in the near future.
    Great improvement Romy! bugger about your elliptical though.
    Glad your back is behaving now Robbie!
    AglaeaC, it's amazing what you want when you know you can't have it. I hope you can successfully brave the dreadmill on your holiday. Totally agree that trying to run there though would not be the smartest of ideas.
    Good work on the treadmill run Skye, definitely the smart decision with those temperatures.

20k Mediumish effort run last night. First few km sucked and I thought I might have to pull the pin early from still carrying too much fatigue after the trail run on Friday. Fortunately everything came good after I got up a hill... yes running UP a hill loosened me up LOL. Cruised along, picking up some pace after about 8k, everything was good until around the 16k mark when the legs started to run out of juice. Pushed on to make my 20 for the day, It would have been about 19k if I turned back when the legs really started to die. Happy with the run and with the pace. Especially after a big week last week.
    Social run tonight.... hope the legs survive.

Summed up like that I realise I'm in good company and should just learn the blasted skill. We have gyms here at home too and I've been making excuses it seems. Oh well, I've just been so hesitant for so long because it seems dead boring unless you have even some kind of a view.

Hope your legs don't die either, you have put in quite a few miles on them again.
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    Dreadmills detest them, I started on them, ran outside when the gyms aircon failed in the middle of summer, it did get hot in the UK once or twice, honest :D . Went outside never looked back. Best place to start with a dreadmill, walking and then gradually build the speed until you gain confidence, 1% incline makes it fell like outdoors (allegedly), you have to work to go forward as opposed to just getting off the belt. Ignore the pace settings, dreadmills are notoriously inaccurate. Alternatively do some run walk intervals outside, if you feel safe, just take plenty of fluids. You don't have to do what you do at home. Treat it like a set of slower fartlek sessions
    Dreadmill runners, well done, I prefer cross training to dreadmill running, almost anything to a dreadmill. Dreadmills are taeliesyn kids to me.

Okay so nothing else then, had already picked up the small incline tip. I'll have to consider cross-training too, because it is a gym after all, maybe some rowing or such might be possible, and they have a pool too. And then at the other hotel there will be swimming.

Thanks, I hope I didn't come across as whiny yesterday, but I actually miss running.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    AgleaeC, not whinny just someone who cares and is frustrated. Runners with a plan and not doing it, bear with a sore head!!

Mixed views about the tempo run this morning. Even the warmup had niggles, right foot sore, left quad sore. I nearly bailed and then thought of you guys and that you would not wimp out. The first 10 minutes were fine as were the first 5 mins of the tempo piece, 30-50 sec faster than half marathon pace. Then it was hard work the legs were tight. The final uphill was hard work and I could not hold onto the tempo pace. It was faster than HM pace pace but not at target. The 10 minute running cooldown was bliss. Looked at splits when I got in and found I'd missed the tempo pace but 15 sec per mile, so I was pretty despondant. However looked at strava which then announced that I'd had my 3rd best 5k time and 3rd best 2 mile time and set various fastish times on segments all over the place. So mixed emotions, missed the plan but did well on things I was not trying to measure.

I am also struggling to hold onto bodyweight. The same planning parameters that kept my weight stable from mid October to mid January are now failing. I keep losing weight. Need to get more fuel on board. After losing 40+kgs over 8 months and being stable for 3 months I thought I had my physiology cracked, but something has changed. I am eating more to compensate for the extra training, so may need to eat even more!

Have fun guys, it's a rollercoaster for me at the moment.

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Paytra, the dreadmill may slow you down, but at least you still get it done. I hope you got your jantastic issues sorted.

Robbie, ill try and remember that advice. I have a feeling I'm going to spend time on a dreadmill soonish due to work :(
    You got your run done, which is thr most important thing. Plan failures happen for a myriad of reasons and it sounds like you would be happy if it wasn't for what the plan said you should do.
    I am struggling with weight loss a bit too and have returned to logging to try and keep on top of things. Still not there but getting better.
    Yeah, unless I'm having an excellent run where I don't notice the km ticking away, most of my runs contain multiple go or no go decisions based on how I'm feeling.

AglaeaC nope, not whiny just a runner that can't run. Dreadmill and cross training sound like a good idea until the weather improves.

Group run tonight, got there early for my pre-run 10k which went surprisingly well considering I finish 2 meat &cheese pies only about 45 minutes before I started running. Group shuttles with some chatting and then onto the main run. Quite happy with my pace and that I picked it up for the last 2k.
    Got a hrm off a friend, so that's going to be interesting. Oh and allnthe runs tonight were during an electrical storm, not that the storm was on us, but it put on a nice light show for us. A little closer than 100% comfortable with, but it was a good night.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    I managed to log yesterday's run on Jantastic today. It must have been an issue with the date and the month's changing. It logged Monday's workout for this week. Bummer! This messed up my perfect January score. That'll teach me to not pull my back out during Jantastic time! :smile: I missed a workout last week but thought I had it covered since the week included Monday.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Went to the gym yesterday after work, hoping for some quality time on the stationary bike. Unfortunately, the gym was packed, so I had to cut it short. Managed just over 7 miles.

I love that whenever I check on this thread, I see real struggles that everyone faces (and overcomes) daily. Inspires me to keep going no matter what!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »

I love that whenever I check on this thread, I see real struggles that everyone faces (and overcomes) daily. Inspires me to keep going no matter what!

Snap and it makes me realize how lucky I am.

• taeliesyn
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    I managed to log yesterday's run on Jantastic today. It must have been an issue with the date and the month's changing. It logged Monday's workout for this week. Bummer! This messed up my perfect January score. That'll teach me to not pull my back out during Jantastic time! :smile: I missed a workout last week but thought I had it covered since the week included Monday.

Monday is always the start of the week, it just won't let you log Monday runs until late monday or Tuesday(in my case) due to stupid timezone stuff.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I was able to make it out for a five mile trail run today. No headphones and a fair amount of Hills although it ran mostly on a ridgetop. My quads were feeling it, but it was a welcome change of pace.

Taeliesyn- I see you have a 40 km badge for February's strava MTS. Are you secretly a cyborg?

Great job either getting on a machine or getting outside everyone!
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Monday is always the start of the week, it just won't let you log Monday runs until late monday or Tuesday(in my case) due to stupid timezone stuff.

That must be the issue then. It says Tuesday morning is the cut-off for the week on the site, so I had that day in my head. I'll know from now on. It won't get me again. :smile:

Nice run, upsaluki!
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »

That must be the issue then. It says Tuesday morning is the cut-off for the week on the site, so I had that day in my head. I'll know from now on. It won't get me again. :smile:

Nice run, upsaluki!

Tuesday for logging, not running.
  • ftrobbie
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You got your run done, which is the most important thing. Plan failures happen for a myriad of reasons and it sounds like you would be happy if it wasn't for what the plan said you should do.

Sort of, I was despondent because the structured plan has a reason for each session, so yesterdays was getting the neural pathways ready for the HM as well as stressing the body at a faster pace than the HM. I didn't manage it so I was disappointed. It's not the end of the world, will it make much difference? Probably not. If I had being going out unstructured, then I would have been happy with that result, which was your point. Running to me at the moment needs to be structured, it is not a love or a passion, but it is coming. Nice going on the group run, did the HRM show anything?

Ceci, nice effort on the crosstraining and the speedwork session.

Upsaluki, how are you finding running without the distraction of music/ podcasts? Nice going on getting out in different surroundings.

Very easy session for me today, just over 4 miles, a recovery piece after yesterdays tempo session. Went longer, slightly faster (inside target paces) with a lower average HR (the TomTom played up but I had a chest monitor on too, which recorded a more sensible pattern). So all feeling pretty good, the rollercoaster of emotions when looking at training outcomes. An easy pace foundation session tomorrow ahead of a fast interval session on Friday. Tuesdays and Fridays are not my favourite days at the moment.

Good luck on whatever you are doing.

• Just_Ceci
    Options
    My run yesterday looked like this:
    1.5 mi run (9:56 pace)
    6 x 30 sec fast, 60 seconds slower (Average pace on fast segments- 7:03)
    1.5 mi run (9:47 pace)

Scheduled for 6 miles today. Hoping to get that done outside before the snow gets here.
  • ftrobbie
    Options

Scheduled for 6 miles today. Hoping to get that done outside before the snow gets here.

Nice going

• Just_Ceci
    Options

Nice going

Thanks!

I got the 6 miles in at lunch! 58:56. So thankful for a job that is flexible so I can take a longer lunch if I want to!
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    You got your run done, which is the most important thing. Plan failures happen for a myriad of reasons and it sounds like you would be happy if it wasn't for what the plan said you should do.
    Sort of, I was despondent because the structured plan has a reason for each session, so yesterdays was getting the neural pathways ready for the HM as well as stressing the body at a faster pace than the HM. I didn't manage it so I was disappointed. It's not the end of the world, will it make much difference? Probably not. If I had being going out unstructured, then I would have been happy with that result, which was your point. Running to me at the moment needs to be structured, it is not a love or a passion, but it is coming. Nice going on the group run, did the HRM show anything?

Very easy session for me today, just over 4 miles, a recovery piece after yesterdays tempo session. Went longer, slightly faster (inside target paces) with a lower average HR (the TomTom played up but I had a chest monitor on too, which recorded a more sensible pattern). So all feeling pretty good, the rollercoaster of emotions when looking at training outcomes. An easy pace foundation session tomorrow ahead of a fast interval session on Friday. Tuesdays and Fridays are not my favourite days at the moment.

Good luck on whatever you are doing.

I understand what you're saying Robbie. The love will come with time ;) Good luck with your intervals tomorrow. Try to embrace the suck LOL if you tell yourself you enjoy them, they don't seem as bad.

Good runs there Ceci! I'd love to get out for a lunch run, but it's just not practical for me. :(

HRM didn't show anything as I got it before the last part of the group run, and I didn't want to be messing with it so I chucked it in the car. I'm going to skip my hill/trail session tomorrow for something far worse......
    Stress Test! Time for me to Embrace the Suck. I figure now I have a HRM, it will be good to do the stress test for both a fitness benchmark and to hopefully find my max HR. I'm kinda scared about that one tbh. Warmup, 6 minutes of hell (Well hopefully not the entire 6 minutes) recovery for 10-15minutes and then repeat hell. Finish with a cooldown. I know it's technically wrong but I have set pace alerts for my 6 minute intervals that will hopefully keep me on the edge of sustaining the pace and blowing up. Background target is to break a mile in that 6 minutes.
  • iainletham61
    Options
    Just joined the bridge to 10K version i'm on D2 W7 of the C25K and hope to complete about 19th February, I have entered a 10K race on April 12th so that gives me 6/7 weeks to train, I was considering jumping onto W6 of the Bluefin Ease to 10k programme but would take any advice or pointers in respect to this....