Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Taeliesyn, you are right in hindsight, but the task orientated side of me wanted to finish the run, without walking 0.75 miles. Will see how Saturday plays out, might take a separate pair of shoes out as backup, or just plan shorter. 2 runs yesterday, as today is proving to be a stinker, already had 5 hours at work, another 8 or so to go. No way I was running before or after work today. Good news, the intensive rehab including a neoprene compression calf splint has almost got the calf completely healed. Just a small amount of tenderness left.

Have fun
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Nice 22 mile ride on Sunday afternoon and a slow 3 mile run yesterday because my friend asked me to pace her. Will try to run at lunch today since bad weather is on it's way.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    but the task orientated side of me wanted to finish the run, without walking 0.75 miles.
    I have the exact same attitude and it one reason I have stayed away from a proper plan, since finishing B210K. I would probably go lame 5k into a 30k long run and find a way to finish it.

Glad the calf is feeling better mate.

Ok well Tuesday night social run done and dusted, with excellent news. 95% Niggle free. Small niggle at start of first run (The push off niggle) which hung around for a bit, but had disappeared before I finished the 3.7km It was just a short run as I was trialling some new shoes which are Zero drop, so didn't want to do too much. Then 5.2k in another pair of Zero drop shoes. I'm glad I spend a lot of the time barefoot, otherwise I don't think I would have gotten away with that much distance. That lap was just running along casually and chatting with a mate, then another 5.1 with my mate, this time in my normal shoes, which felt like planks of wood at first, but soon felt normal again.
    Then the social lap, I did a mix of the lap, and some 3min intervals with some friends as it is getting dark now, and neither had a headlamp/torch. Felt good to open up a bit.
    Now calf is a bit niggly, so it's got another appointment with the tennis ball.

• DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Just finished couch to 5K and want to move on to bridge. I finished C25k running the full 30 minutes but not to 3.1 miles yet. So adding 5 minutes per week until I can get there. I'll start the bridge to 10k process then. I'm pretty slow, but hoping experience and more miles on my shoes will eventually help with that. My first 5k race is Mother's day weekend in May.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Just finished couch to 5K and want to move on to bridge. I finished C25k running the full 30 minutes but not to 3.1 miles yet. So adding 5 minutes per week until I can get there. I'll start the bridge to 10k process then. I'm pretty slow, but hoping experience and more miles on my shoes will eventually help with that. My first 5k race is Mother's day weekend in May.

Welcome, have a look at the bridge to 10k now, it isn't really doing anything different to what you are already doing. Time on feet will get you a 5k in under 30 mins. If you follow c210k it will take 3-4 weeks, without effort ;) . Enjoy the journey and post regularly about how you are getting on. You have gone through the least enjoyable bit, now have some fun. Have you entered a race yet?

• ftrobbie
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    I'm glad I spend a lot of the time barefoot, otherwise I don't think I would have gotten away with that much distance.

Now calf is a bit niggly, so it's got another appointment with the tennis ball.

I spend the whole time at home barefoot, it drives my wife mad. The only time I wear shoes is outside the house, and even then I sometimes use the gorilla shoes (vibrams).

Glad the runs worked for you, but you need a spiked massage ball for the niggle, I have a love affair with mine :o I also have a neoprene calf support sleeve, I am convinced that has helped the healing a lot by applying heat and pressure during the day.

I was looking at some Skora's as a more padded alternative to the vibrams, but I can't decide whether to pull the trigger on them. Have fun

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    . I'll start the bridge to 10k process then. I'm pretty slow, but hoping experience and more miles on my shoes will eventually help with that.

I think I may have suggested on the 5K group just going straight onto the 10K plan. It's a similar principle, inasmuch as it's intended to get you running for 60 minutes. Doing that will improve your 5K time, as you'll improve your capacity.

You'll make faster progress towards a better 5K time by moving straight on than trying to improve your 5K time in isolation.

• MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Bit of a rough few days, I picked up a chest infection last week that took a bit of time to mature. I wasn't feeling up to a run at the weekend so took my road bikef out for areasonably rapid 50K session. Average HR was high, about 150, for the session so about 10bpm higher than I'd normally expect for that level of effort. If I'd gone out for a run, an 18Km planned, I'm pretty sure I'd have been blowing out fairly rapidly and wouldn't have got significant value from the session.

I've recut my HM plan again, to account for the infection, and supposed to start again on Saturday. That gives me 9 weeks to the next HM, with a trail 10K about two weeks before that.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    @DianaLovesCoffee I'm with the others here. I'd move right on to a bridge to 10k plan. In fact, that's what I did. Speed will come with more running. Just keep building your endurance.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I ran 4 miles at lunch today, was supposed to be 2 slowish miles and 2 fast miles (with 2 minute rest between). Felt really slow throughout, but I guess technically, miles 2 and 3 were fast(er). 1-10:42, 2-8:31, 3-8:51, 4-10:26. And the 2 minute rest became more like 3 minutes of slow walking.
  • taeliesyn
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Welcome @DianaLovesCoffee‌ like everyone else, I think you should jump into the B210K program, it is designed as a follow on. You'll be fine :)

MM, hope you're over your infection and everything goes to plan for your HM

Ceci, sometimes things just feel slow even when you're moving! Good work on getting your run done :)

Robbie, I go many places out of the house barefoot too, down to the horses, out and about generally etc. If I don't need to wear shoes it's likely I won't.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Robbie, I go many places out of the house barefoot too, down to the horses, out and about generally etc. If I don't need to wear shoes it's likely I won't.

Perth/ Nottingham/ Perth/ Nottingham. I think you are safer walking around unshod in Oz than I am in the UK, especially at this time of year. Hey impressed man.

Nice foundation run this morning, calf behaved itself, so I will give it another go with the gorilla shoes at the weekend, but will take it easier this time, if it hurts I'll stop (well probably).

MM hope the infection clears up, are you better making sure it completely cleared up and launching into your recut plan fully, rather than struggling on? Whatever you decide to do, hope it goes well, I am not one for taking my own advice.

Ceci, sub 9 minute miles are not shabby, although it does depend on how hard you were pushing. You will still nail the HM if you allow a taper. I expect that will be hard for you, but bear with it, it does help.

Have fun everyone.

• ftrobbie
    Options
    Fair weather runners, it's tipping down outside and I am not getting wet and cold. Might run later
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Well today I have a two hour drive to get to my reserve forces unit, then a mile and a half fitness test/ threshold run.

Still feeling like I've got gravel in my lungs though, but it's not as bad as it was earlier in the week.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Best of luck MM and here's hoping the fitness test doesn't drain you too badly!
    Robbie... fair weather runner indeed! Truth be told, I'm happy to be hit by the rain while running, just not start a run in the rain myself.
    Tomorrow night I'm going to be leading a group trail run by headlamp, hoping for 20km or so myself, will be interesting to see how it pans out.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Robbie... fair weather runner indeed! Truth be told, I'm happy to be hit by the rain while running, just not start a run in the rain myself.

Dark and wet, and I knew it would be cold. Like you, if I get wet while out so what, I'm warmed up. Warming up in the wet, not inspiring. Early evening looks bright though.
    Tomorrow night I'm going to be leading a group trail run by headlamp, hoping for 20km or so myself, will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Good luck, sounds fun

• Just_Ceci
    Options
    6 miles on the indoor track for me yesterday, as we had thunderstorms with hail and lightning. Finished in just under an hour and felt good throughout.

My brother who is running the half with me is on a motorcycle trip. This week his runs have included a 6 mile run below sea level in Death Valley and a 6 mile run a mile above sea level in the mountains of New Mexico. I don't know if I'm more jealous of the running or of the motorcycle trip!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Taeliesyn, do you do the Canning River parkrun? I follow Phil Gore on Instagram, every time he posts a picture of a darkrun I think of you because I had never heard of those until you mentioned them on this thread.

I'm still doing nothing and I am pretty bored of it. I plan to start weight lifting (modified) and cycling next week (weather permitting). Typing that here will hopefully keep me accountable!

Hope you are all enjoying your running and I hope to be joining you again soon!
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Well it was a painful experience and I had to slow down considerably at about 1.9km to clear my nose as I couldn't breathe at that point. Against a target for my age of 12:55 I managed 10:57, so about 118 seconds of wasted effort.

Of the 11 doing the test today I arrived 5th, all but one were younger than me and the four in front of me were all young infantry soldiers.

Reasonably pleased with the outcome.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    romyhorse wrote: »
    Taeliesyn, do you do the Canning River parkrun? I follow Phil Gore on Instagram, every time he posts a picture of a darkrun I think of you because I had never heard of those until you mentioned them on this thread.
    Hahaha, small world syndrome. I know Phil through darkrun. I run at Pioneer parkrun usually it's just down the road from Canning River parkrun.
    Hope everything comes together for you Romy!

Yeah, I'm not sure what I would be more Jealous of either Ceci! Both parts of your brothers trip sound good. Glad you've got the indoor track for your runs with that weather!

Good outcome MM, especially considering your cold etc.