Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    MM you are brave! I wouldn't even cycle on a lot of the roads where I live and that's in the middle of nowhere.

Took my dog for a walk today to see how my knee was. It is the ligaments again, my knee is bending too far back and is awkward to walk on as it keeps feeling like it is going to lock. It gave out on me a few times. Managed a very short run, only about 6 minutes, on the flatter part of the track. Running felt easier because I don't straighten my leg when I run, but it was a bit sore afterwards. Might get my bike out as cycling doesn't involve straightening my leg so that should be okay.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Took my carbon road bike out this morning for a gentle spin, so a lot less fatigued than the long runs and the quad isn't feeling too bad at all. 50K in two hours, quite warm at 9 degrees and reasonably quiet back roads. Good session.

The big impact is that I'm short of 35km this week so Endomondo will reduce my targets significantly next week. I'll end up manually adjusting some of the planning to keep the mileage up.

Romy, trust that you manage to recover quickly, very frustrating having an injury like that.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    "Graduated" from C25K on Wednesday. After my strength workout & bike Thursday, strength & rowing machine workout Friday morning, and swim Friday after work, my legs were tired today. My trainer told me to swim if it would aid my recovery. I really wasn't sure so I went, but 20 minutes in realized it was a mistake so I stopped. Did my run later in the day today than usual to give my legs a little extra recovery time. Did a hybrid 10 miles (1 mile on the elliptical to warm up, then run/walk intervals for a total of 6.5 miles running & 2.5 walking).

My chiropractor did another treatment on my foot Thursday and he broke up a pretty big adhesion. Feels so much better rolling my foot without the big knot in there. Iced it after my run.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Paytra, No issue with lengthening your stride, if you can do it and keep your foot landing close to/under your centre of gravity. You'd find your stride length probably increases as you run faster. :) If you're getting your miles in and you're injury/niggle free you're doing great!

Robbie, yeah probably a good idea with the HM close. Swimming can be an exhausting activity!
    Glad you sucked it up and did your pyramid session and that it was a good one! You're also kicking my butt on the MTS this month ;)

Ceci great work on your trail run, glad it was clear enough for you to head out! I've dropped my Jantastic targets for this month too. Otherwise I was going to run myself into the ground.

upsaluki, do what you need to mate! If running is a regularly a chore you'll give it up. Just make sure you still drop by here and let us know how the runs you do, do go :)

Hope your knee comes good for you soon Romy!

MM bugger about the ride stressing you and glad the quad isn't too bad. Sounds like a good bike session! I really want/need to get a bike myself. Too much other crap to buy first though LOL.

Laura, congrats on your graduation! That's a heck of a workout schedule you keep by the sounds of it. I feel like a lazy bugger reading what you've done ;)
    Glad the chiro is doing you good on your foot!
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Ok now I've caught up with everyone above (I really hope I didn't miss anyone). Time for my update.
    After re-evaluating my max HR on Tuesday, I recalculated my ranges and had a new set of numbers to use for my low HR training. I am now attempting to keep my HR between 157 & 165/166 (Calc puts it at 165.5) So with those new numbers in mind I headed out on my trail run on Friday night. I had the thought of sticking with the low HR stuff on the way out, and going by feel on the way back. In the end I tried to stick to my range for the entire run.
    I peaked past 166 several times on hills, but if I wasn't on the ball I dropped below 157 quite easily. Left calf/shin didn't feel quite right heading out, and even by the 8k mark where I have normally run things out, it was still a little funky. I persisted to the 12k turn around point, and by about 14k my calf/shin was finally feeling ok, pity my hammies and quads died somewhere in there. Towards the end I found it hard to stay in my HR range, partly due to exhausted legs, and partly because my headlamp was dying and there was a full moon, so the headlamp was only bright enough to wash everything out when combined with the moon light, rather than let me know where the bumps/drops were.

Saturday was parkrun, and this was a Zombie run! (I swear my parkrun has the best council!) Being that I did 24k the night before and that I was doing my low HR stuff again, I was definitely a zombie. So I got there early, got my face painted and just had a good day.

Off to Madrid tonight for work, so I'm not sure how much running I'll get done and I've told my friends if I manage more than 40k this week to yell at me. I think my body needs a bit of a rest, but I want to keep running.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Laura, well done, looks like you have been busy. Romy you need to look after those knees.

Easy recovery run yesterday, which was nice, went out in full race kit, including number. The MacMillan charity shirt did not rub, so it all looks swell for next week. Last long run this morning, which I got bored on, so just kept pushing the intervals, so both the tempo and recovery intervals were done faster than plan. Quads feel trashed at the moment, so reffing later this morning will be fun (not). However mentally in a really good place. Taper going well, rest tomorrow then short tempo session, light recovery, light recovery, short sprint interval session, light recovery and then race. This time next week I'll be traveling to Silverstone.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    Ok now I've caught up with everyone above (I really hope I didn't miss anyone). Time for my update.
    After re-evaluating my max HR on Tuesday, I recalculated my ranges and had a new set of numbers to use for my low HR training. I am now attempting to keep my HR between 157 & 165/166 (Calc puts it at 165.5) So with those new numbers in mind I headed out on my trail run on Friday night. I had the thought of sticking with the low HR stuff on the way out, and going by feel on the way back. In the end I tried to stick to my range for the entire run.
    I peaked past 166 several times on hills, but if I wasn't on the ball I dropped below 157 quite easily. Left calf/shin didn't feel quite right heading out, and even by the 8k mark where I have normally run things out, it was still a little funky. I persisted to the 12k turn around point, and by about 14k my calf/shin was finally feeling ok, pity my hammies and quads died somewhere in there. Towards the end I found it hard to stay in my HR range, partly due to exhausted legs, and partly because my headlamp was dying and there was a full moon, so the headlamp was only bright enough to wash everything out when combined with the moon light, rather than let me know where the bumps/drops were.

Saturday was parkrun, and this was a Zombie run! (I swear my parkrun has the best council!) Being that I did 24k the night before and that I was doing my low HR stuff again, I was definitely a zombie. So I got there early, got my face painted and just had a good day.

Off to Madrid tonight for work, so I'm not sure how much running I'll get done and I've told my friends if I manage more than 40k this week to yell at me. I think my body needs a bit of a rest, but I want to keep running.

Not how I missed your great update, you seem a bit happier with the revised numbers, I would still recommend Matt Fitzgerald for you. I think it may fill a gap for you, if you want to follow someone else's plans. After next weekend I have dialed in another 15 week cycle of Matt's Level 2 HM plan for The Humber Half 28 June.

Re the yelling, good yelling or bad yelling! More than happy to join in, with happy writing or scolding writing. ;) Your choice

• PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Sounds like you're all set Robbie! Tell me more about your race.

taeliesyn, hope you have a nice work trip. We don't have parkrun here, unfortunately. It sounds great.

I attempted HR training very briefly in January - my trainer thought it would be a good time to try it since I was doing C25K with walk intervals - but it only took 38 seconds of running to shoot my HR past where he wanted it to be. 38 seconds. I hadn't been running for 6 weeks so my HR was even higher than usual. I will at some point try it again - maybe after my marathon when I'll be better conditioned.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Laura6887 wrote: »

4 laps of the Formula 1 grand prix circuit, almost. Lap of grand prix circuit, lap of the infield, lap of the perimeter road, lap of grand prix circuit the opposite way round. 6000-8000 runners, it's a warm up race for the London Marathon. Course is relatively flat with a good surface for the most part but it is exposed. So if it is windy or wet, you feel it. Support is limited to runners families and so is scarce and concentrated in certain areas. All this is from the research I did before signing up. A few work colleagues who have done it before all rate it.

It will be my first HM, but the distance is not the issue, have gone the distance 5 times in training, it is the pacing and ensuring that I can drive back. I am going unsupported which is the biggest risk for me. Trained for 2hr 15, but aiming for 2hr11, but feel I can get closer to 2hrs than that, but not below. Clothing, fueling etc sorted. Just hoping to enjoy the day. Been using Matt Fitzgeralds Level 2 training plan, which is all about low intensity running with tempo, interval and long runs thrown in, pretty standard stuff really. My running started with C25k on June 15 last year, weight Feb 2014 127kgs, now 86kgs. So it's all happened fast, hence my nervousness and detailed planning. This time last year, I wouldn't believe I could run a HM and that I'd sign up for a full for this coming fall

Hope that feeds your curiosity :D

Have fun

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Romy, I hope you heal quickly. Take care of that knee.

Nice run, Ceci!

Taeliesyn, the parkruns sound like a lot of fun. We don't have those here.

Today I ran 9K! It felt great and I still feel great. I went slow (very slow; 74:15), just wanting to go long today and see how I do.
    I've looked over my running for the last few weeks and noticed that my distance has increased from about 21K/wk to about 24-25K/wk without my realizing it (same running time), which may explain why I'm having difficulty running and finding it so hard.....I've sped up without realizing it and probably aren't quite conditioned to that increase yet.
    So for today's run, I kept it very slow. When I felt myself breathe harder, I slowed down. It felt great to just run and feel good about it.
    I ran north along the river today. It was warm (about 70deg) and sunny....a perfect run.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    Laura6887 wrote: »

4 laps of the Formula 1 grand prix circuit, almost. Lap of grand prix circuit, lap of the infield, lap of the perimeter road, lap of grand prix circuit the opposite way round. 6000-8000 runners, it's a warm up race for the London Marathon. Course is relatively flat with a good surface for the most part but it is exposed. So if it is windy or wet, you feel it. Support is limited to runners families and so is scarce and concentrated in certain areas. All this is from the research I did before signing up. A few work colleagues who have done it before all rate it.

It will be my first HM, but the distance is not the issue, have gone the distance 5 times in training, it is the pacing and ensuring that I can drive back. I am going unsupported which is the biggest risk for me. Trained for 2hr 15, but aiming for 2hr11, but feel I can get closer to 2hrs than that, but not below. Clothing, fueling etc sorted. Just hoping to enjoy the day. Been using Matt Fitzgeralds Level 2 training plan, which is all about low intensity running with tempo, interval and long runs thrown in, pretty standard stuff really. My running started with C25k on June 15 last year, weight Feb 2014 127kgs, now 86kgs. So it's all happened fast, hence my nervousness and detailed planning. This time last year, I wouldn't believe I could run a HM and that I'd sign up for a full for this coming fall

Hope that feeds your curiosity :D

Have fun

Curiosity fed. It sounds amazing! I ran my first HM last year and the best advice I got was to enjoy the day. I stood at the starting line knowing that as long as I didn't take off too fast because of the adrenaline, I could run the distance, so I watched my pace pretty carefully the first couple of miles but after that I just went by how my body felt. I had a few people tell me before the race that I could trust my training and as I was running I finally truly got that. I knew how often & what to fuel, I knew I could run the miles, I had done the hard part of figuring out the details, so race day all I had to do was relax and enjoy the experience. I hope you enjoy yours half as much as I did mine - like you, running a HM had been beyond my wildest imagination (I thought if I worked hard maybe I could run an entire 5K) - so that experience will stay with me forever. I started C25K in May 2013 and ran my HM June 2014 so my timeline was very similar to yours. I waited another year though to sign up for a full!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    No time to comment individually, but you guys are rocking this- so inspiring!

I had an awesome run on Saturday- 11 miles in 1:52:58 (from RunDouble which includes the 2 pauses waiting for lights to change so I could cross the street!) I even sped up the last mile finishing it in 9:33! I carried a small water bottle with me, ate energy jelly beans before and gummies during the run. It was in the 50's F, but I sweated buckets!

• ftrobbie
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Laura, nice to see someone follow a similar timeline. I learnt from a 10k how disconcerting having a high HR is alongside people flying by you. The only saving grace was that in the second half, I went past hundreds (felt like it) of runners and got passsed by 2. I understand my pacing I just need the resolve to stick to it.

Ceci nice run and bike session, I'll get in early before you report it.
    Taeliesyn, nice going on your runs in Spain, do you need to be warned yet?
    Upsaluki, nice runs, where are you man?

Rest day yesterday, which I sort of enjoyed but was angsty, felt out of sorts not running. Nice tempo session this morning. I did the tempo interval along one of the first segments I ever did. Although the heart rate was slightly higher average 151 vs 146. The time came down from 11:23 to 9:52. So something has definately happened since the end of C25k. It's nice to see the improvement. Still feeling strong and positive towards Sunday. My wife asked if I was nervous, not yet, but there are still 5 days left. I have a sniffling nose at the moment so hoping that a cold does not brew between now and Sunday. Have fun, spring has definately arrived in the UK.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Robbie, hoping you stay healthy (maybe it's allergies?)

My ride yesterday was a miserable hour in the gym, thanks to cold rainy weather. Still raining, but it might stop in time for me to run outside today. I'm scheduled to do speed intervals.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Ceci, thanks, I had the dreaded tickly, slightly sore throat, it is still lingering around, but masking the symptoms with cold remedies, even if they are all ineffective.You got a good paced 5 miler in yesterday, well done.

Easy pace turnover session this morning, nothing else to report. Cleared 80kms for the month yesterday, should clear 120 by end of Sunday, then wait for Taeliesyn to run me to ground again. :p
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I should hit 80k by this weekend. It shocked me how quickly I made 40k this month. I'm not used to all this running!

I had a great 5 mile run yesterday with speed intervals. My instructions were-
    5 miles
    Warm up 1 mile.
    6 x (1/2 mile increasing your speed each one. Like the first one start at your normal pace, then next one just a bit faster, the next one a bit faster, etc. Your last one should be uncomfortable.) After each one, walk for 2 min.
    Cool down to make 5 miles.

I used a day from the half training plan on my RunDouble app to track the intervals:
    1cb2vhhw23fw.jpg
    The last 1/2 mile segment was definitely "uncomfortable", but I quickly recovered and finished the five miles in a respectable time. I should have turned off the auto-pause feature on Strava, because it paused during some of the walking intervals and didn't pause during others.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have been avoiding this thread as I haven't been able to run for a week. Getting withdrawals! I am away Friday-Sunday with my girlfriends. My knee is starting to feel better so I might try a short run tomorrow or Sunday afternoon when I get home. 10 days until my 10k race so hoping I'm okay for that.

Good luck this weekend Robbie, it sounds like a great circuit. Hope you don't get the horrendous weather we have been getting.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »
    I should hit 80k by this weekend. It shocked me how quickly I made 40k this month. I'm not used to all this running!

I used a day from the half training plan on my RunDouble app to track the intervals:
    1cb2vhhw23fw.jpg
    The last 1/2 mile segment was definitely "uncomfortable", ......

Some impressive intervals, I can go slightly faster and longer than 5 but not as fast as 6. But I always said, in a sprint, you would beat me. :p Well done, and when the weather improves you will have a real dilemma, running or cycling. Or alternatively do both. ;)

Romy, love the new avatar, great sense of humour. I hope you can maintain your fitness and not re injure your knee before your 10k. Weather in the Midlands has been great this week, dry but cold in the morning and lovely sunshine during the day. They are forecasting rain and snow for Sunday at the moment. But hey what do weather forecasters know.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    London has warmed up a bit this week, so last night and tonight felt a bit overdressed.

10K recovery pace last night, then 6K tonight. Both quite comfortable sessions.

Robbie, I was looking at Silverstone on GoogleMaps this afternoon, working out the route. Given the number of runners it should be a good day.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    I'm not getting/finding much time to keep up to date here with the work training schedule.
    Short recap of my runs
    Monday I got lost trying to find the park, so I did an interesting out and back type thing
    Tuesday I found the park and had a good run, except for some gastro/bowel issues that almost saw me diving into the bushes at times :s
    Both were good runs gastro/bowel issues aside.

I'll hopefully come and catch up properly with everything this weekend. I've now had my trip extended so I'm not leaving Madrid until Sunday night. So I'll have some more running around Madrid, and my low mileage for the week may ummm... be thrown out the window as I'll probably go for another 10k tonight and I may run/walk into and out of Madrid proper over the weekend, which is 12-13k each way making it about 25k round trip, plus touring.

Robbie, unless I do the stupids with touring on foot you're gonna own me this month.
    Don't stress about the sniffles etc. One friend I know always gets niggles/colds/etc during the last few days of taper, which turn out to be entirely psychosomatic and she's fine during her races.
    Good luck with your race this weekend!

Great running everyone, and Romy I hope your knee feels good soon!