Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• JSC145
    JSC145 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Had a hard time waking up this morning and just did not feel like the planned 1 hr run. BUT.... I told myself, "just 2 miles.... you can do 2 miles..." and once I started, I kept going. I can't believe I've reached the point where 2 miles is an "easy run". I barely went around the block without wanting to die 3 months ago.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So after the abject failure on Monday, 18km in 1:56, I've been eating all the food. Far more than seems sensible, but it's probably the right answer.

I could barely walk at work yesterday. Every time I got away from my desk I was lumbering around, my quads and hams throbbing. Today hasn't been as bad, but still uncomfortable. Even the cycle to and from work has been laboured.

So I've sacked tonight's run, and replanned my training out to the Jurassic Coast. The replanned training looks a bit more manageable. Having just started a new job I'll need to test and adjust once I have a better feel for how the battle rhythm will work in respect to my training cycle.

A few lessons from that episode.

I went straight into a new cycle after two weeks of very little deliberate phys.

I hadn't been eating well for two weeks, which meant my recovery from the last race was more limited. I think I'd probably been light on calories most days actually.

The new job. I'd been in for a week before being away for two weeks, so Monday was my first proper day, and it was busy as hel. I did it light on breakfast and with a late, rushed, lunch. I was hungry when I went out, and potentially a bit dehydrated. Running gives me headspace after work, but 11 miles was probably a bit much for the day.

I've maybe gone out a little fast. I was holding a nicely steady 5:50km for the first 9km, which is about 30 seconds slower than my 10km race pace. Given everything else, it may have been a bit much.

And the HIIT cycle session on Saturday night might have contributed to the legs failing. I probably need to avoid that session on the turbo trainer for the moment and stick with time trial or race simulations.
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Got ready for a run and left home yesterday evening..2 minutes into my warmup, my phone started acting up. No music, no apps, nothing. After stopping and trying to restart the phone a couple of times, I gave up and came home. Was annoyed at my mental weakness, but just couldn't run without music or any indication of time. Started bright and early today and completed Day1 of week 12. Paced myself and for the first time, felt that I could keep going and run 10k, provided I had music and a voice giving mileage cues.
  • maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    So after the abject failure on Monday, 18km in 1:56, I've been eating all the food. Far more than seems sensible, but it's probably the right answer.

I could barely walk at work yesterday. Every time I got away from my desk I was lumbering around, my quads and hams throbbing. Today hasn't been as bad, but still uncomfortable. Even the cycle to and from work has been laboured.

So I've sacked tonight's run, and replanned my training out to the Jurassic Coast. The replanned training looks a bit more manageable. Having just started a new job I'll need to test and adjust once I have a better feel for how the battle rhythm will work in respect to my training cycle.

A few lessons from that episode.

I went straight into a new cycle after two weeks of very little deliberate phys.

I hadn't been eating well for two weeks, which meant my recovery from the last race was more limited. I think I'd probably been light on calories most days actually.

The new job. I'd been in for a week before being away for two weeks, so Monday was my first proper day, and it was busy as hel. I did it light on breakfast and with a late, rushed, lunch. I was hungry when I went out, and potentially a bit dehydrated. Running gives me headspace after work, but 11 miles was probably a bit much for the day.

I've maybe gone out a little fast. I was holding a nicely steady 5:50km for the first 9km, which is about 30 seconds slower than my 10km race pace. Given everything else, it may have been a bit much.

And the HIIT cycle session on Saturday night might have contributed to the legs failing. I probably need to avoid that session on the turbo trainer for the moment and stick with time trial or race simulations.

I feel like I just burned 1000 calories by simply reading how active you've been. Wow!
  • maggiekat7
    Options
    JSC145 wrote: »
    Had a hard time waking up this morning and just did not feel like the planned 1 hr run. BUT.... I told myself, "just 2 miles.... you can do 2 miles..." and once I started, I kept going. I can't believe I've reached the point where 2 miles is an "easy run". I barely went around the block without wanting to die 3 months ago.

I remember those days! I'd jog across the intersection during one of my walks and get all winded. It's amazing how fast our bodies adapt and how much we are capable of. It's a good reminder to acknowledge how far we've come since our early c25k days. :smile:
  • maggiekat7
    Options
    samra338 wrote: »
    Got ready for a run and left home yesterday evening..2 minutes into my warmup, my phone started acting up. No music, no apps, nothing. After stopping and trying to restart the phone a couple of times, I gave up and came home. Was annoyed at my mental weakness, but just couldn't run without music or any indication of time. Started bright and early today and completed Day1 of week 12. Paced myself and for the first time, felt that I could keep going and run 10k, provided I had music and a voice giving mileage cues.

It does feel good to reach the place where you feel confident to continue on running! I get goosebumps while out sometimes when I realize I've been RUNNING for the last 30+ minutes. I clearly remember week 4 of c25k and struggling to finish the final 5 minutes of running. I hated week 4!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I've been reading, just haven't found time to comment on everyone runs and now there is too much.
    Robbie & MM hope your runs pick up, it sounds like you're onto a solution MM
    JSC, Samra and Maggie, it sounds like you're all moving along nicely.
    Maggie, 13% isn't that steep compared to some hills I hit. People make segments on the harder stuff, so they can track their progress.
    Ceci, sometimes I wish I had a gym to run in, good luck for your 5k on Saturday.

Ok now for my running, Tuesday I took the dog for a social run, even though I technically wasn't meant to be running this week, except for the programmed runs as part of the study. The puppy needed an outing and it was a gentle 3.5k with some walking.
    Wednesday saw the rolling tempo workout, which I suffered through, hit most of my target paces on average, but definitely wasn't even, during the 'recovery' interval, I was dropping back to a walk for up to 30sec before running a bit too fast and bringing the average pace down.
    This morning was 10x 2min on/6min recovery. My on period was meant to be @ 3:55pace, several were within my usual +/-5s spec, but I also had several where I went too fast. The advantage and danger of group intervals with faster guys. I was taking off too fast every time.
    Last interval of the session, my aim was to either "blow up or throw up" I didn't quite reach either target, but I definitely ran out of legs after about 200m, my speed peaked @ 2:40min/km and I hit the 200m mark in 35sec or less, and then the pace dropped down to the 4min, before I picked up to average out at 3:40. I was surprised as it just felt like I ran out of legs, not out of lungs, which I what I would have expected. Guess there's more fast interval work to come in the future.
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 12 of the 14 week Zen Labs 10K trainer. I've decided to just stick with this trainer (rather than alternating with the Active 10K trainer) as Zen Labs is the one I find most challenging. Plus the timing works out very well; my plan is to start the Higdon Novice 1 half marathon trainer on 8/25 to be ready for my half on 11/15. I'm feeling stronger with every run...still slow, but a work in progress.

I'm looking forward to the 5K on the beach on Saturday night. I'm not going to "race", but just have fun; I'm doing it with a friend who is even newer to running than I am so I'd like to encourage her. I've signed up for so many 5Ks and 10Ks for the rest of the summer/fall that my friends are probably thinking I've lost my mind. I'm just looking for practice and hoping to reduce my nerves for the big running events I have later in the fall. Plus I guess I could use all the new t-shirts :)

Happy running to all!!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    I've been reading, just haven't found time to comment on everyone runs and now there is too much.
    Robbie & MM hope your runs pick up, it sounds like you're onto a solution MM
    JSC, Samra and Maggie, it sounds like you're all moving along nicely.
    Maggie, 13% isn't that steep compared to some hills I hit. People make segments on the harder stuff, so they can track their progress.
    Ceci, sometimes I wish I had a gym to run in, good luck for your 5k on Saturday.

Ok now for my running, Tuesday I took the dog for a social run, even though I technically wasn't meant to be running this week, except for the programmed runs as part of the study. The puppy needed an outing and it was a gentle 3.5k with some walking.
    Wednesday saw the rolling tempo workout, which I suffered through, hit most of my target paces on average, but definitely wasn't even, during the 'recovery' interval, I was dropping back to a walk for up to 30sec before running a bit too fast and bringing the average pace down.
    This morning was 10x 2min on/6min recovery. My on period was meant to be @ 3:55pace, several were within my usual +/-5s spec, but I also had several where I went too fast. The advantage and danger of group intervals with faster guys. I was taking off too fast every time.
    Last interval of the session, my aim was to either "blow up or throw up" I didn't quite reach either target, but I definitely ran out of legs after about 200m, my speed peaked @ 2:40min/km and I hit the 200m mark in 35sec or less, and then the pace dropped down to the 4min, before I picked up to average out at 3:40. I was surprised as it just felt like I ran out of legs, not out of lungs, which I what I would have expected. Guess there's more fast interval work to come in the future.

This is me most of the time- heart rate and breathing are fine, but the legs just say, "No!"

I ran 2 miles yesterday, outside in the heat of the afternoon in a respectable 18:57.
  • maggiekat7
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »

That's CRAZY TALK!

:p

Had a good run tonight. I've decided to skip a few weeks in the b210k program and completed w13-d1 (2, 22-minute jogs with a 1 min walk sandwiched between). I managed 7.1km in 46:11. Yesterday I tried an interval program on my treadmill - it was horrid (read: hard). My heart rate went through the roof when I pressed the 10 mph button instead of the 10% button - twice at different times.

Ya, I don't go that fast. Scary (and somewhat funny)!

:o
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Good run for me last night. Left the house planning on only 2 miles. But the first 1.5 miles was so smooth! In the past I get a mental block at about 2 miles that if I work through I'm good for another 1 to 1.5 miles. I'm seeing that stumbling point move back to about the 3 mile mark now. Ended with a total of 4.5 miles using W11D3 (17 min intervals). Next run for me is Sunday.
  • samra338
    Options
    @Just_Ceci and @LLduds good luck with your 5ks tmrw.
    @taelisyn your training plan seems like a real killer
    @maggiekat7 lol...your posts always makes me laugh! Nice that you moved on in the program and are incorporating interval runs.
    Did day 2 of Wk 12 today...was tough running with the sun beating down on me. Was seriously concerned about a sun stroke and had to find shade wherever I could to run in. But it's done and one more run left in these 18 minute running intervals.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that many of you are enjoying your runs and having success. It genuinely cheers me up. At the moment my running sucks. Even my wife said today "You are really grumpy, is that because you are not running?" Well I have gone from running daily to 3 runs in the last 10 days. Had a 45 run yesterday which was ok until I ran along the cliff top and jarred my knee again, walked the last mile, even turned off the watch. Tried running this morning and stopped after 200m, it was just too painful. However have been walking today and other than deep steps it was ok. So planning another outing tomorrow and will see how it goes.

On a plus point have spent some time over the last 4 days teaching the boys to ride a bicycle. Both can now ride and with only one wipe out each, both trying to turn. It has taken a while for them to be interested but all their mates can ride and they have got to the point where they were embarassed. So a life skill learnt.

Enjoy your runs.

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    A further 2 days of not being able to run, it feels as though I have reaggravated the medial knee ligament injury I had a few years ago, might need to go back and see the quack. I managed to go 13 miles on a bike yesterday, intended to be 10, didn't plan well enough so effectively went wrong and took a minor diversion for an extra 3 miles. Backside holding up well, I cannot understand how I put so many mental barriers in place before, just like C25k and B210k, most of the issues are in the mind once you get a basic level of fitness. Hope your running is going well.
  • samra338
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your knee injury, Robbie. Hope it's all sorted out soon and you can start running again.
    Nothing new to report, as I had to cancel today's run..took the kids to the zoo yesterday. After spending 7 hours on my feet, I was totally wiped out. I thought it was better to rest today and run Wk12D3 tmrw.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Hope you find your mojo again Robbie, and soon mate. I know how crazy I went when my mileage dropped significantly. Good work on the boys and their bike riding :)

@maggiekat7 Good work on your runs, but yeah stay away from 10mph, that's a fairly cracking pace lol
    @DianaLovesCoffee Great progress there! Gotta love when you shift mental blocks!
    @samra338 Yeah running in full sun can be brutal, good decision to skip a day and recover :)
    And yeah the plan was fairly intense, not so much a true training plan, but part of a study, so designed to wear us out :)

I'm cranking along well, Friday was a short 2k jog with my dog and she did well, so this coming week one of runs is going to extend out to 2.5 and I'll see how she goes from there.
    Saturday was my final session of the study, 60min @5:25 pace, a nice gentle run for the morning, including the WU&CD I clocked 14k that morning, then led friends on a hilly 12k trail course in the afternoon.
    And today, I was silly enough to do a trail HM (and a little extra) with friends, which gives me 10 days in a row of running, and just over 90k this week alone, I think about 120k for those 10days. Legs are feeling surprisingly good.
    Hopefully all keeps going well. Normally I'd have up to 24k planned tomorrow, but I'll see how I'm feeling around the 8-10k and play it by ear.
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The 5K on the beach last night was beautiful but tough! The course was down-and-back, and the first/last half mile was fairly brutal due to super loose sand. Once you made it out to the water line, the sand was more compact and the scenery even more gorgeous. It was at night so everyone was wearing head lamps; my friend said it looked like there were stars in the sky and on the beach :) Official times aren't posted yet, but mine should be 35 minutes and change. Not too bad considering it was my first ever run on the sand (and my third ever official 5K).

I'll be finishing up W12/D3 of my 10K trainer tomorrow, which leaves just 2 more weeks. Exciting! My first 10K is on 8/29...they call it an "urban trail run"...it's on a golf course :) Happy Sunday to all!!!
  • maggiekat7
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your knee, Robbie. I'm just new at running, and get super antsy when not able to run like I want to. I can only imagine your frustration.

@taeliesyn - what kind of pup do you have?

@LLduds - loved reading your update, sounds like an excellent run! Your 10k should match up really well with the end of your trainer program. Really exciting!

I had a nice run outside today. It's been a while since I've been able to get out, and I was missing it. Got 8.06 km in 51m:47s. New PB for 5 km - 31m:29s (included a 1 min walking break from w13d2). Not too sure how I feel about closing in on the last two weeks of the zenlabs app; I like the motivation I find in a structured program like this.

I'm still learning what to wear for running. It seemed cool and quite breezy this morning when I was dressing to leave so I wore a long sleeved running shirt and I WAS SO HOT! Won't make that mistake again.

Enjoy your day!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Robbie- sorry to hear about your injury, wishing you a speedy recovery!
    LLduds- that sounds like a great course, although, I don't think I would much like running in sand!
    Diana- I love seeing the progress you are making! Keep it up!
    Maggie- I've heard dress for 10 degrees warmer than the actual temp when you are running (10 degrees cooler if you are biking). Finding that balance can be tricky!
    Taeliesyn- That's a lot of running!

Yesterday when my 5k started at 7 AM it was already 80 degrees and very muggy. It made for a miserable run, but I still managed a PR of 29:13.5 and first in my age group. Four of my friends showed up to run with me, so it was great fun!

After the race was over some of us girls went out for a bike ride and managed 26.5 miles despite the heat.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    @maggiekat7 I've got what is supposedly an English Mastiff X Rottweiller, but honestly I think there is Great Dane in there, and possibly something else. She's 3.5 but unfortunately has hip dysplasia so I need to be careful with her exercise.
    Dress for at least 10 degrees warmer than it feels, not forecast. I'm someone that runs hot, so I'm pretty much a singlet and shorts all year round.

@Just_Ceci good run, despite the heat, well done on your PR and placing :)