Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    maggiekat7 wrote: »
    Busy day planned, so only have time to pop in and quickly say . . .

. . . this morning I ran my first 10k in 1:04:14 with an average pace of 6:25/km

Proud of myself. Now, I'm off to have some fun with family and will be back over the weekend to see how everyone else is!

Well done!
  • eyethree
    eyethree Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I completed B210K this morning. I ran 6.30 miles. got an iPhone this week and switched from an Andriod so my last two runs couldn't be completed on the app since it wasn't list in Apple Store. They were straight 60 minutes so I didn't need the app. I don't know where I'm going after this. Maybe 3 miles every other day with 6 miles on the weekends for now. With school starting that's about all can do until the weather cools down. I find it impossible to run in this heat in the evenings. Anyone know of any good interval training apps? I'd love work speed next.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! It's been awhile since my last post. This summer has been excruciatingly hot (mid-30C and higher) and running has been a problem. Each run was slow and ponderous. But I haven't stopped running.
    Yesterday, the first cool (mid-20C) and overcast day, I ran 5K in 37:25; my quickest time all summer....then ran another 1K to celebrate the "speed". :smile: I actually felt as if I were running; not pushing through quicksand.
    Great to be back. How's everyone's summer been? What's new?
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Congrats @eyethree!! I'm scheduled to finish B210K this week. A few months back, in a haze of misguided grandiosity, I signed up for a half marathon on 11/15...soooo, I'll be moving on to Hal Higdon's half marathon trainer. Have you signed up for any "official" 10K's? I've got a few coming up that I'm nervous about!

Well, my "urban trail run" 5K last night was TOUGH!!! It was run on a golf course - not the walking trail, but rather over/through the various grassy areas. The hills/steep inclines were no joke! Some were so steep that my run felt more like a walk; I think this was more difficult than running on the beach last weekend. There was some kind of malfunction with the bib/timer chips, so no official time but my Runkeeper app had me in around 34 mins and change. I don't have a run next weekend, but the following weekend is my first 10K. It's another "urban trail run" on a golf course, so now I'm a bit nervous. I thought it would be an ***easy*** first 10K...now, thinking it might be one of the toughest :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @taeliesyn , well done. Excellent result.

So after two weeks of being both extremely busy and still feeling a bit rough I was supposed to start my new plan with an 11 miler this morning. Given the circumstances I cut it short and did 12K, so just shy of 8 miles instead.

All felt ok, with a reasonable 5:54/ km in the end.

10Km tempo tommorrow evening now.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    @taeliesyn looks like we are going to have a podium finisher, well done and a great start!!

I won. I freaking won it! 85.3km in 12 hours. Was great till the last 2, then it was a sufferfest

That's awesome
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    @maggiekat7 That is a great time! You should be very proud!

@moyer566 I'm with Robbie. I'd move on. Every body has a bad run from time to time.

Alright then. Tomorrow or Tuesday. Legs might be pooped from climbing the towers for zip lining today
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    maggiekat7 wrote: »
    Busy day planned, so only have time to pop in and quickly say . . .

. . . this morning I ran my first 10k in 1:04:14 with an average pace of 6:25/km

Proud of myself. Now, I'm off to have some fun with family and will be back over the weekend to see how everyone else is!

Well done!!!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    and my knees were shot this morning. walking hurt. Mondays are my flex days anyways. so rest day it is. I was looking forward to trying w10d1 but it will have to wait. hopefully, tomorrow i'll be able to run.
  • eyethree
    eyethree Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    LLduds wrote: »
    Congrats @eyethree!! I'm scheduled to finish B210K this week. A few months back, in a haze of misguided grandiosity, I signed up for a half marathon on 11/15...soooo, I'll be moving on to Hal Higdon's half marathon trainer. Have you signed up for any "official" 10K's? I've got a few coming up that I'm nervous about!
    @LLduds I haven't signed up for any races. I've looked but haven't found anything coming up that I'd like to do yet. I may sign up for something in October. I love that you've jumped into all of these races. Congrats to you and good luck!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I had one of those runs yesterday. Seriously sucked. One hour, 5.56 miles. But at least the views were great at my national park!
    11904698_10153563959174414_2559349357748651007_n.jpg?oh=f93a7f56655295f3527b67d005342342&oe=56467318
    11903822_10153563959129414_4046493704299156893_n.jpg?oh=c8ad2a5bbd6cc4f13f97e22bf6d399da&oe=56745CE4
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Some great stories coming through over the last few days, you are all excellent and inspiring.

The Sunday run never happened, it got replaced with a 5 mile bike ride for the boys. The only downside was my eldest panicked on a cattle grid and the front wheel went between the grids. It's a lesson he won't forget in a hurry. Went running yesterday, 5.8 miles in an hour, it was harder than it should have been and the knee was sore and achy afterwards, although not too bad today. Completed two bike rides, back from work yesterday and into work today, 20 and 15 miles respectively at 14.5 mph. Given the amount of junk I was carrying, not too shabby.I am pleasantly surprised about how easy it is compared to how hard I thought it was going to be. Now just see how bad it gets when it is dark and wet!!

@MeanderingMammal it turned out when I got the cadence meter on the new bike my perceived 80+ turned out to be high60s low70s. Having it live on the bike helps me keep a good gear. I have noticed that my HR is higher when keeping the cadence higher, but maintaining 80-90 is getting easier. It's just a shame that sitting at lights and slowing down all take a toll on the reported cadence. Hope you training gets better soon.

Have fun everyone
  • mbaker566
    Options
    W10d1.
    So much better.
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Sunday did 5 miles and felt great the whole way. Did about 5 telephone pole to telephone pole speed bursts. I'm at my max distance ever now. 10k is in sight! Still 12-13 minute miles but I'm more concerned with distance than speed right now.

Slow 30 minute run with Hubs today.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    rest day. I feel the shins and calves all tight and ready to be a pain. working on some flexibility tonight. looking forward to the run tomorrow to see if I can have a repeat or better performance
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Didn't realize how hard I had run on Monday until I got on the bicycle yesterday. Holy sore muscles! 18 miles on the bicycle with the girls and feeling much better today!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    well I ran w10d2 with no breaks but one busy street. and I ran it all but I loss a half mile. i'll try to dig a little deeper on Saturday.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    After a cold front moved through yesterday, it was in the mid-60's when I met a friend at the national park to run. She is younger and faster than me and training for a triathlon, but we had a good run. 5k in 30:38.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Great running, I am envious, hoping to stretch the legs on Saturday morning. Have a 45 mile ride tomorrow 17 on the way in to work and a 28 mile long route home by the river
  • maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Been a while since I checked-in. Loving the updates. I'm a little late on the congratulations but, @taeliesyn : you are a beast!! Well done, you crazy man you. ;)

@moyer566 : hope your shins and calves co-operated better this morning and Saturday is a great run for you.

@Just_Ceci : loved your pictures! That is a good idea, I'm going to see if I can snap a few photos on an upcoming run.

@ftrobbie : how is your son, poor guy. I love reading your cycling updates, by the way. I have only the slightest knowledge of what you and the other cyclists on this board are saying, but I'm storing all the tidbits away for the day I work up the courage to take my bike out for a spin.

@DianaLovesCoffee : congrats at reaching your newest max distance! Feels good, yes?!

@eyethree : nice job finishing your B210K program! I'm moving into a 10K program now via Endomondo. I think it will be a good fit.

@PaytraB : good to see you improve on your 5K time! I love the feeling of a new personal best, it's my favourite motivator!

@LLduds : have your completed your B210K program yet - how'd it go?

Sorry if I missed anyone, there's been a lot of activity while I was away!

I'm graduating myself from the B210K program (whoot!). I went for my second 10K run this morning and took almost 2 minutes off my previous time, finishing in 1h:02m:28s. I've added a training program to my Endomondo app to improve my 10K and plan to start Saturday. It's several weeks long, winding down at the end of January. We have an April Fool's run where I live, and I'm CONSIDERING signing up. It would be my first race since I bombed the relay race for my team in 5th grade (are you sensing issues?).

I'm sorry, I can't believe I'm actually running for an hour at a time now. I sneak back to the C25K board occasionally and recognize myself in so many of the posts. It wasn't that long ago that I was struggling with running more than 3 minutes at a time. Pinch me, I have got to be dreaming!