Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Ran in my first 5K race Saturday since completing the Couch to 5K program a few weeks ago. Time was about what I expected considering the course. The ground I train on is very level and the course was slightly hilly. 2nd in my age group though which just made me wish I had pushed harder. LOL
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    Great job everyone! Nice to see this thread more active again.

I'm running my 1st 10K next Saturday... kind of plopped that race in the middle of my half marathon training, so have a 6 mile run tomorrow, and a 12 mile run on Sunday... that will be the furthest I have run EVER! I'm going to take it easy next week with a couple shorter runs on Tues and Wed so I'm not dead tired for the race.

Have a great weekend!

@rusgolden The day after your 12 mile run try to get a small sloooow run in as a stretch and recovery run. It can be as little as 1-2 km, I usually do 3-4km. Glad to hear that you are tapering for the race.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    rusgolden wrote: »
    Great job everyone! Nice to see this thread more active again.

I'm running my 1st 10K next Saturday... kind of plopped that race in the middle of my half marathon training, so have a 6 mile run tomorrow, and a 12 mile run on Sunday... that will be the furthest I have run EVER! I'm going to take it easy next week with a couple shorter runs on Tues and Wed so I'm not dead tired for the race.

Have a great weekend!

@rusgolden The day after your 12 mile run try to get a small sloooow run in as a stretch and recovery run. It can be as little as 1-2 km, I usually do 3-4km. Glad to hear that you are tapering for the race.

Thank you @juliet3455 -- My 12 mile run went really well yesterday. I actually drove to the location of my 10K race that I have this coming Saturday to preview the route, so I ran that loop twice and finished with an average pace of 9:42 min/mile... a bit faster than I had anticipated running it. I might try to get that recovery run in after work, but I did some foam rolling yesterday and some good stretching routines this morning and already feeling much better.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    woodwardtm wrote: »
    Ran in my first 5K race Saturday since completing the Couch to 5K program a few weeks ago. Time was about what I expected considering the course. The ground I train on is very level and the course was slightly hilly. 2nd in my age group though which just made me wish I had pushed harder. LOL

Great job. I'm always middle of the pack in races, which I'm okay with. You're a competitive runner now. 8)
  • woodwardtm
    Options
    Did my 40 minute steady run yesterday after work. I kept reflecting on the fact that one minute seemed torture on Jan. 1st. So thankful that I stuck with the program. The 40 went very well. I was consistent and not too terribly exhausted by the cool down walk.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    I finished 5k210k week 5 day 3 today. I've had a bad run of weather work and family keeping me from running the past few days (throw on a good bit of laziness). Nice to get out there and log some miles.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am back to this group! I was here a year ago - did my 10k and then trained for a half. Did my half in September, another 10k in late October and closed the season. Started running again two months ago, got to 5k, and am transitioning into 10k now! Have a race on May 6th! :)
    I am suing Zenlabs, Week9 Day2 is done today (4 x 10 min runs).
  • woodwardtm
    Options
    Working on Week 3 of Active's 5Kto10K. I did the long run Monday, the tempo run today and will do the short steady run tomorrow. I did them in reverse order this week in case I wanted to race Saturday. I figured I would be less tired that way. :D
  • woodwardtm
    Options
    Week 3 of Active's 5Kto10K is now complete! 1/3 of the way through this already! Woot! I know it only gets more difficult from here but so far I think I am ready. I feel strong.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Week 3 of Active's 5Kto10K is now complete! 1/3 of the way through this already! Woot! I know it only gets more difficult from here but so far I think I am ready. I feel strong.

Awesome job. I'm getting rained out here.
  • woodwardtm
    Options
    upsaluki wrote: »
    Awesome job. I'm getting rained out here.

It is starting to rain here now and is supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow. We have flood watches until Sunday am. I was hoping to race Saturday but not sure now. I have a Color Run with some friends on Sunday.

I finally broke that elusive 10 minute mile run pace today. That made me feel like a million bucks. I used to run under 10, but that was 3 years ago. This is my first sub 10 since starting back. Woot!

• Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Piqueaboo wrote: »
    I finished Week 11 Day 1 today.

Is your Week 11 equivalent to our week 2? My transition program only has 9 weeks, plus my original C25K program had 9 weeks.

My C210K (zenlabs app) has all weeks in it - meaning 1-8 is the regular C25K and then continues on weeks 9-14. Week 11 is 3 intervals of 17 minutes running.

That being said, I saw the chiropractor and he asked me to do the 10K training once a week, so now I'll do 2x5K per week (trying to get under 30 minutes) and then the 10K training on the weekend. I started using Map My Fitness again and I saw my stats from a year ago, it's crazy how much better I've gotten (granted, I did pause running between April 2015 until I picked it up again in October 2016 :D

9u085yloqj5l.jpg
  • woodwardtm
    Options
    Piqueaboo wrote: »

My C210K (zenlabs app) has all weeks in it - meaning 1-8 is the regular C25K and then continues on weeks 9-14. Week 11 is 3 intervals of 17 minutes running.

9u085yloqj5l.jpg

Hmmm...the Couch to 5K by Active has 9 weeks, plus the 5Kto10k by Active has 9 weeks. I did week 3 this week and the long run was a 40 minute steady run.

The medium run was a 10 minute jog, a 5 minute tempo run, followed by a 10 minute jog (plus your 5 minute warm-up and cool-down walks.

• upsaluki
    Options
    Week 6 day 1 today.
  • woodwardtm
    Options
    Ran two 5K's over the weekend. Dropped my time again and felt good about that. Sunday's run was a Color Run so it was just for fun and untimed. Yesterday I ran Week 4, Day 1 of Active's 5Kto10K app.
  • woodwardtm
    Options
    I did week 4, day 3 today which was a 45 minute steady run. It went great until about the last 5 minutes and then my knees were just killing me. I finished but it was not comfortable. With the 5 minute warmup and cool down, I got 5 miles in though!
  • woodwardtm
    Options
    Did my Week 4, D2 run today with the speedwork in the middle. It was the 5th run in the last seven days for me because I raced both days on the weekend. It felt crappy but I guess it wasn't so bad. At least Week 4 of 9 is complete. Have a good weekend, everyone. I hope you have weather conducive to running.
  • woodwardtm
    Options
    @upsaluki Are you ok? Haven't heard from you in a while.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Hey fellow runners... just checking in. I ran my first 10K race on April Fool's day and finished with a time of 53:23, which was good enough for 2nd in my age group and 21 of 90 overall. I felt good throughout and happy with the results. Now back to my HM training, which is now less than 2 weeks away on 4/22. I've noticed when running in warmer temps that I need some additional hydration during my long runs

Have a great week everyone!