Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    @Just_Ceci and @juliet3455 -- thank you both for you input.

Ceci, I have to admit I had a palm to forehead moment when I read your suggestion of using the Fun Run option. Lol. I guess I was so focused on the built-in plan that I didn't even think of that. I'm finishing up my 2nd week on the 12-week Rundouble program, but I think it is still early enough to re-evaluate it. The Rundouble program does have some intervals/fartleks and hill runs built-in as well. Running 5 days a week though is a lot for me, so my body is still adjusting to that, but no nagging pains or anything to be concerned with. The race is closer to 16-weeks from when I was starting, so my plan is to repeat a couple of the weeks with some modification because I also want to do a 5K and 10K between now and then.

Thanks again to both of you and I will look at those links and re-evaluate my running plan. :smile:
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    @rusgolden The plan I did started me out at 4 days per week, about 1/3 through switched to 5 days a week, then back to 4 days as the long run surpassed 11 miles. I would think that any plan that has increasingly longer runs each week with some intervals/ hill repeats thrown in would be good. Figure out what works for you!

I ran 1 mile on Tuesday and 2 miles yesterday, each with a walking interval in the middle. Because it's so cold, I'm running in the gym. :neutral: I have friends who are running a 10k on March 4. I'm hoping to be ready for that.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I ran outside on Saturday with some girlfriends. It was cold, but I dressed appropriately enough. Managed just over 3 miles in 35:35 including a short walk about half way through.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I signed up for a 10k on March 4, so better get back at it! I ran yesterday after work (and after a lunchtime bike ride). I made it 2.5 miles in 30 minutes.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    I signed up for a 10k on March 4, so better get back at it! I ran yesterday after work (and after a lunchtime bike ride). I made it 2.5 miles in 30 minutes.

Nice. I'm almost done with Week 4 of C25K, so I hope to be posting in here soon. I have two 5ks then an 8 k in my sights in late April. I'm going to do the run double 10 k program after I finish C25K.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I ran 5k after work on Wednesday and 1 mile yesterday. I can do this!
  • upsaluki
    Options
    I finished my c25k. On to the 5210k program next. I'll be posting on here. Hopefully more folks will join as the weather turns nicer.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    With the amazing spring weather lately, I've been on the bike more than running. I even got my motorcycle out for a short spin on Saturday! I had forgotten how much I love that bike!
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    With the amazing spring weather lately, I've been on the bike more than running. I even got my motorcycle out for a short spin on Saturday! I had forgotten how much I love that bike!

It has been beautiful weather in KC for the past week also and my winter running clothes have had a nice break. In my half marathon training, I was up to 10 miles on Sunday. It was a tough run for me though, especially miles 7-10 and I had done 9 miles just 2 weeks ago without much problem. I'm running a 5K race this coming Sat, so taking this week easy and then going to repeat a couple of weeks from my HM plan. Would also like to run a 10K race before the HM and I have my eye on one April 1st.

@Just_Ceci --- a couple weeks before your scheduled 10K race... how is your training going?

@upsaluki --- congrats on graduating the c25k! I moved on to the B210K afterward as well (last fall) and it really helped my endurance and speed.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    @rusgolden Not much running going on, but I think I'll be okay. I won't be trying for any PR's or anything, but I'll finish and have fun!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So after the Bovington HM in early December I was just doing a bit of maintenance until Christmas. Ten miler on Christas day, then on a short 4 mile recovery run on Boxing Day I managed to stumble in the woods and sprain my ankle quite badly. That was frustrating but it led to a bit of downtime, and being worn down led to me picking up a nasty infection that led to being in hospital.

Last night was my first run out again after that, a fairly gentle 6KM along the Thames in London.

Pitifully slow, as it took me 38 minutes. That's the slowest I've been in a couple of years, but it felt ok and I managed to maintain a decent form throughout. Very out of condition after nearly two months of limited training.

My March Marathon is probably off the table, and even the 20 miler is potentially a bit beyond me. My next event after that is a multi-race weekend in May; 12 hour ultra, followed by a night 10K and a morning 10K, with an HM after that. I'm already in the 12 hour and aiming for 50K, will then consider which of the other races to do. The night 10K is a lot of fun, and I think it'll be good to add the morning 10K. The HM is probably beyond me at the moment, having done it twice before it's a brutally tough event.

Assuming I make a credible recovery that'll be a good rehearsal for the rest of the year.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Finished 5k210k week 1 day 1 today. Felt pretty good, but definitely a big jump from c25k. I was appreciating the minute walk interludes.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    1.38 miles yesterday in 16 minutes. Felt like a slug. I think it was the heat- almost 80F here yesterday. :#
  • upsaluki
    Options
    1.38 miles yesterday in 16 minutes. Felt like a slug. I think it was the heat- almost 80F here yesterday. :#

Wow. It's been getting up to the 60s here, but the 80s would be cooking Possible chance of snow Friday and Saturday. That's the Wisconsin I know and love. Fake spring was nice while it lasted.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    upsaluki wrote: »

Wow. It's been getting up to the 60s here, but the 80s would be cooking Possible chance of snow Friday and Saturday. That's the Wisconsin I know and love. Fake spring was nice while it lasted.

We are expecting a hard freeze this weekend. No wonder everyone is sick!
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    W9 D1 done!
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Finished 5k210k w1d2. Tough running today. Muddy trail 31F and drizzling the whole way. Feel better though.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Piqueaboo wrote: »
    W9 D1 done!

Nice to see you over here.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    upsaluki wrote: »
    Piqueaboo wrote: »
    W9 D1 done!