Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Meant to post this here, but it ended up in the 5k thread instead:

A couple of co-workers talked me into running at my national park Wednesday. It was 94 with a feel like temp of 98- miserable. I survived. It is very disheartening to look at current pace in comparison to previous runs on the same course. Yesterdays time for the 3 mile Strava segment was 10 full minutes slower than my best time for the same segment. I know there are a lot of contributing factors, but still makes me sad. Got to get back there!
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Longer runs are getting easier for me... last week I did 10K for the first time and yesterday I ran a full 8 miles without walking in 1:19:09. I have a 5K race next Sat., so will be a couple of weeks before my next long run, but really excited with my progress! :smile:
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Short bike ride on Friday and longer one today, but no running.

I had a follow-up at the ortho doctor on Friday. He gave me a cortisone shot in the left shoulder and scheduled surgery for October 10. He's certain the pain I'm feeling is from bone spurs, not from a stress fracture. :neutral:
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    As my last big run before my 50k races in the US in a few weeks, I went out for a few hill reps.
    3 Reps of 2 joined hills, turning around on the top of the second, gave me just shy of 15miles, and umm about 4700ft of elevation change. Legs are feeling pretty good today. Taper starts now.. two weeks oh feck!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Weather, and life, have interfered with running recently. Plus, lack of enthusiasm. I think it's not just the length of the 10K runs that's been getting to me but having to run up so many steep and/or long hills. I just stopped enjoying it. So, yesterday, I just did a 15 minute run - which was just over a mile. It was almost all uphill, just not the really long, steep hill. Then, I rejoined my husband for our usual walk (which also involves most of the same hills, but not running up them).

I still want to find a day to go somewhere where I can do a 10K run without hills, just to complete the program. Then, I'll try different approaches to bring back the enjoyment I once had in running.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Today we went into town and I ran the final run of the 5K to 10K rundouble program on relatively level ground (Boyd Lake State Park - the maximum elevation difference looks like it was around 100 feet). It took a lot of willpower but I ran the whole time, except for a few times when I slowed down briefly to blow my nose or adjust what my phone was playing. Now I can go back to shorter runs without feeling like I didn't complete the 10K program.

Stats for my final 10K training program run: 6.22 miles in 76:32 for a pace of 12:18. Not having huge hills makes a big difference! I gradually slowed down over the length of the run, so I guess I didn't pace myself properly at the beginning.
  • rusgolden
    Options
    I ran in my 2nd 5K race this past Saturday and ended with a time of 24:31, which is 1:37 faster than my first 5K that I did in the beginning of August. Felt really good about it and had a pretty consistent pace.

I am planning my next race on October 9th and it will be an 8K double run (5K+3K). The 5K will have a start time of 8a and the 3K at 9:15a so will have approximately 45 minutes of rest/recovery time.

Although I have done some 10K and 8mile training runs this past month, I still feel like a newbie runner (having just started running in April), so would welcome any tips on my preparation for this next race and how I should approach it as far as pace goes.

Thanks!
  • rusgolden
    Options
    This thread has grown a little stale, lol.

A quick update... still planning the 8K double run next Sunday and my training runs have been going well. I've been able to run a few of them on the site of the race, which is good because it has some fairly steep inclines in places, but I don't have the exact course map, so not 100% what it will be like. I've been pushing myself to run further on my long runs and this past Saturday I ran 10 miles at a pace of 10 min/mile and felt okay afterward. I still can't believe that I am running that far. A few running friends are trying to encourage me to run a half marathon in the middle of November.

Thoughts? Does 6 weeks give me enough time to prepare for that?

Rus
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    This thread has grown a little stale, lol.

A quick update... still planning the 8K double run next Sunday and my training runs have been going well. I've been able to run a few of them on the site of the race, which is good because it has some fairly steep inclines in places, but I don't have the exact course map, so not 100% what it will be like. I've been pushing myself to run further on my long runs and this past Saturday I ran 10 miles at a pace of 10 min/mile and felt okay afterward. I still can't believe that I am running that far. A few running friends are trying to encourage me to run a half marathon in the middle of November.

Rus

If you are already running 10 miles, 6 weeks should be plenty of time to prep for a half! Great job!

I'm not running at all until I recover from the surgery that I have scheduled for next week. :(
  • rusgolden
    Options
    Thank you @Just_Ceci !! I hope surgery goes well for you and that you have a quick and full recovery!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »

Most plans would have two to thee ten milers, without the need to train to 13. You should be fine.

• taeliesyn
    Options
    A big update will be coming from me in the next few days, 2 50K races and the Grouse Grind while I was on holidays. I still need to get some uploaded to strava etc LOL
  • rusgolden
    Options
    Well, bummed out after my 8K from yesterday. About 50 meters into the initial run, I pulled a muscle in my left calf. I went ahead and pushed through it to finish the 5K and kept it warm and as loose as I could and also ran the 3K. Might not have been the best thing medically, but I'm a stubborn fool and wanted to complete. In any case, I am going to begin the rest and recovery period and not worry about doing a half marathon this fall. Hopefully it heals quickly and I can begin easing into running again in a few weeks.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Saturday, I rode with my best cycling buddies on one of my favorite routes- 45.74 miles.
    Sunday, we rode to town for pizza- 19.38 miles.
    Monday, I had surgery on my left shoulder. It was minor compared to the last one. Dr. had to scrape bone spurs and found some scar tissue (likely from the stress fracture) that was causing impingement. I started PT yesterday, and should be back at it in no time. Dr. said it could be up to a year before I have full range of motion though. I'm optimistic that with hard work, that won't be the case!
  • Just_Ceci
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Follow-up with the doctor today. I can ditch the sling and start running, but no bike for another 4 weeks.
    jhdtvtl2jcwe.gif

ETA: Where is everybody?
  • rusgolden
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    Follow-up with the doctor today. I can ditch the sling and start running, but no bike for another 4 weeks.
    jhdtvtl2jcwe.gif

ETA: Where is everybody?

I've been wondering the same thing... everyone must be taking a break from running, lol.

Good deal on the running.

I saw the ortho doc last week and told me another 2-4 weeks before I can start running again. So, I went out and purchased some new cold weather running gear so I'm ready to run as soon as I am able :smile:
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    A little running been going on for me, just going through post race blues and mojo issues mostly. :(

Glad you're getting out again @Just_Ceci and hope you're out again soon @rusgolden !
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    "Ran" a practice 5k with my Girls on the Run group yesterday. My girls were more interested in walking than running, but we finished in about 43 minutes. :p
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Saturday, I did w4d1- 1.81 miles in 21:30. Felt good.
    Sunday, hiked at my national park- 7.42 miles, not as good as riding there, but it will do.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Great work Ceci!
    I've been out of action for a week, since a 5k barefoot walk resulted in horrendous blisters that are still giving me grief.