Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    @taeliesyn blisters are the worst, hope for quick healing!

I did w4d2 yesterday- 1.82 miles in 21:30. Planning to switch to the distance version for day 3 tomorrow.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    w4d3, distance version yesterday. It was hard. I am very disheartened, but will keep pushing through.
    :|
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    You'll get back there Ceci!
    My feet aren't healed yet, but they are improving. I managed 4.4k on Tuesday with my dog at the social run (Dog needed me to cut it short!) and then 7.4k with a friend yesterday. I've aggravated the blister on the ball of my left foot a little, but I think I should be ok for parkrun on Saturday.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I was invited by some friends to "run" the 7 mile loop around our local national park on Saturday. I went along. I hung with one girl for about 3 miles of run a little walk a little, stop to stretch my sore calves a little, then told her go ahead and not worry about leaving me behind. I ended up finishing the 7 mile loop in 95 minutes, so 13:29 pace. Not bad.
  • Just_Ceci
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I ran c25k, w5d1 yesterday. It wasn't miserable. The best part was the drizzling rain that started just as I was finishing the last run interval.
    deobtottd31v.gif3wvrolq4z983.gif
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Nicely done Ceci!

My blisters are basically healed now (Not perfect, but ok) and since I haven't had a good hit out lately, I did some 100m pickups during my group run last night, the pickups would have averaged 2:45min/k pace, while the 'recovery' was around 5:20min/k pace. So I'm quite happy with that. I'll probably repeat the session next week.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    w5d2 yesterday- 2 runs of 3/4 mile with a 1/2 mile walk between, so 2 miles in 25:03. I felt good and am happier with my progress. We'll see how I feel after a 2 mile run tomorrow!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I ran 2 miles straight on Friday in 21:58. Saturday, ran/ walked a 5k with my Girls on the Run in 38 something. We had about 900 girls completing the 5k, each one with at least 1 buddy runner. It was awesome!
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Whoo! Great work Ceci!

I helped out at a 3/6/12 hr race over the weekend, and spent nearly 24 hours on site with like 2 hours sleep. Had a few laps of the 2.5k course walking and running over the event. Aggravated my blisters a little, but they seem to have settled.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Sunday, I volunteered at the Arkansas State High School Mountain Biking championship. I stood near the finish line and called out numbers as the riders came through. :smiley: It was a blast! Those kids are hard core!

Yesterday's run was meh, w6d1- 2.25 miles in 28:53. I was running on the campus of our local community college, so lots of street crossings and changes of direction. Because it is getting dark so early, that is my best option if I can't run at lunch or get off work early because it is near work.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    My calf seems to have healed nicely. I ran a couple miles on the middle school track the Sat and Sun before last and I had no negative effects from that. I gave it another week before I did another run and ran 6 miles this past Sunday in just under an hour. My mile splits were: 9:33, 9:19. 9:31, 9:30, 10:09, and 10:05... so was pretty consistent the first 4 miles and had to let off the gas a bit those last 2 miles. Still feeling good now a couple days later... just general soreness (all over, not just the recovering calf). This week I'm going to try to get out again during the week for a shorter run and hopefully a short and long run this weekend. Have a great week everyone!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Yesterday's run- w6d2 - 2.25 miles in 26:48. This is so much harder than I remember it being the first time! I think it's mental because I know where I was last year and how far I have to go to get back there.
    :|
  • rusgolden
    Options
    @Just_Ceci ... you'll get back there again, just be patient with yourself and your body.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Did week 6 day 3 on Saturday- 2.25 miles in 26:31 on a hilly course, so had to walk a couple of times. Going to try for w7d1 today anyway.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I ran w7d1 on Monday and actually kept running for about 2/10 of a mile into the cool down walk. w7d2 ended up being my first winter run at the gym- 35 laps on the indoor track dodging people who insist on walking in the passing lane. :|

Should have run w7d3 today, but will likely ride my bike instead.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Didn't get to ride the bike until Saturday. It was glorious!

I ran yesterday at the National Park, 3.2 miles in 38:39. Had to stop and stretch the calves a couple of times. :|
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    I'm nursing a dodgy knee at the moment. Glad to hear things are going well for you Ceci!
  • rusgolden
    Options
    Coming to the close of 2016 and I hope you are all doing well. I'm looking at starting 2017 with a few running goals, one being a half marathon in April.

I have looked at a few training plans both on paper and training apps and they vary a great deal. Has anyone had good luck with a specific training app? The Rundouble half training is more distance based and the Fitness22 half training looks to be more time based. The Hal Higdon training looks good on paper, but the recent reviews of the apps seem to be very poor, so not sure I want to invest in a non-reliable app.

Also, do you know of any "active" groups like this one that focuses on questions, etc. for half marathon training?
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    @rusgolden I used a training plan from halfmarathons.net/ with a few modifications.

They have 12, 16, and 20 week plans. I counted back 20 weeks from my half and did that plan (about 16 weeks in, decided that was too long, should have done a shorter plan.) I replaced one of the shorter runs each week with sprint intervals or hill repeats. A trainer friend recommended that I do 2 days per week of sprint intervals or hill repeats, but 1 was plenty for me.

I used the RunDouble app during my training. I used the "Fun Run" options mostly, adjusting my distance as needed for the Half Marathon training plan.

For the intervals, I used an app called Interval Timer which allowed me to set up intervals. My trainer friend had me doing "so many steps at a comfortable pace followed by so many steps fast", but I was more successful with setting up timed intervals.

Good luck and have fun!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    Coming to the close of 2016 and I hope you are all doing well. I'm looking at starting 2017 with a few running goals, one being a half marathon in April. Also, do you know of any "active" groups like this one that focuses on questions, etc. for half marathon training?

@rusgolden I used a version of the Hal Higdon HM plan that I loaded into Excell and modified to fit my schedule ( tri-Athlon; swimming, biking, running ) and I also added a few more runs ( short & Long ) into the schedule. I never used any of the Smart Phone apps. I have one Smart Phone and it is a corporate phone that is locked down so we can't load any secondary apps without corporate approval. More hassle than it's worth.

Here is a link to Running Related sites that include HM Training group.
    Running Books

This link to Halfmarathons.net which lists 8 to 20 week training plans.