Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Windy here today. I'll take snow over wind and rain any day. Speaking of. .. anyone have a lightweight visible water/wind resistant jacket they like for days that are wet and rainy between 32- 45 F degrees. I'm in the market for a piece of gear like that.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    @upsaluki -- I'm sure there are some better options, but I used what I had, which was a golfing jacket. It is very wind and rain resistant and is roomy enough that I don't feel "bound up" when running. In colder temps, I would wear it over my base layer and be good down to about 20-25 degrees. For Christmas I got a UA jacket for the colder temps, but it was almost more of a sweat jacket but was quick dry. Looks like we have a 100% chance of rain/snow on Saturday, so will be a wet and cold run I am sure.

Good luck... would be interested to know what you end up with.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    upsaluki wrote: »
    Windy here today. I'll take snow over wind and rain any day. Speaking of. .. anyone have a lightweight visible water/wind resistant jacket they like for days that are wet and rainy between 32- 45 F degrees. I'm in the market for a piece of gear like that.

@upsaluki So many good products - Minimum recommendation from me is Machine washable, Gore-Tex or equivalent, Zippered Arm/Pit Zips, Velcro Wrist closures, and maybe some type of Zippered Vent on your back to let heat and humidity escape while keeping rain/snow out. Some people in my local club have jackets with a secondary short inner sleeve with a Thumb Loop so it seals the arm entry better and keeps wind/rain out of the sleeve. These interfere with wrist based Heart Rate monitors. Between the front zipper, side vents and back vent I have lots of control of the internal temperature/humidity of my jacket. Most vents should have double zipper pulls so you can open all of it, part of it, left side, right side etc. End of season X-Country Ski shells, Downhill shells might offer good value if you have the ability to Fit Test before you buy.

When you go to Fit Test Jackets don't forget to bring your lightest and heaviest running Shirts with you so you can truly check it out.

When I started running I re-purposed my 3 Season Gore-Tex Hiking Jacket and Winter Ski Shell until I could buy some more running specific gear. Which ultimately became my default running jacket and I replaced my Hiking jacket with a different version. On really Nasty days I use an old Cycling Jacket as it is Bomb Proof when it comes to Rain/Wind.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. I use a nylon shell without a hood for really cold days and a lighter weight track jacket for warmer days. It has venting. Both are pretty dark though. I'm going to keep an eye out on clearance. I was able to get my favorite pants and shirts at a really good deal since they were an older version.

P.s. ran week 3 day 2 of 5k210k today.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @upsaluki Of course my comments are based on a Northern Canada Winter running program so I need good breathability yet windproof so you don't get frost bite from wind chill effect.

Forgot to mention look for lots of reflective material - so it helps improve how drivers on the road will see you on evening runs. Clearance - End of season is always a good way to stock up on gear.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    I got my week 3 day 3 of 5k210k in today. I ran a 5k race at the beginning of it, and then just ran the rest after it was done. Since I was in a different town I got to run on a lakeside trail I've always wanted to run on. I also got trapped in a parking garage looking for an elevated walkway across some busy streets. I ended up running 6.4 miles in total. My chip time for the 5k was 31:54.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I'm back after a little break - I couldn't find motivation - Week 10 Day 3 done!
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Finished week 4 day 1 of 5k210k today.
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Finally finished week 1 today. I haven't run in 12 days due to a stomach bug last week and snowmaggedon earlier this week. Finally I got one in. I was amazed to still be able to jog 30 straight minutes. Had to run laps around the school area here because people still do not have their sidewalks cleaned/shoveled, but it is done. Now to get back on track!
  • upsaluki
    Options
    Finished week 4 day 2 of 5k210k tonight. Beautiful 40 degree running weather.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I'm cycling more than running lately, but still try to get in a run a couple of times a week.
  • woodwardtm
    Options
    Ran W2, D1 of Active's 5Kto10K app yesterday. Will probably run again today while it is somewhat warm.
  • woodwardtm
    Options
    Ran W2, D2 of Active's 5Kto10K app today. I really dislike tempo runs. They sap my energy very quickly. I am more of a steady even pace kind of runner but I will keep putting in the effort.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    I finished 5k210k w2d3 on Sunday and w3d1 today. Today was a really nice run along a couple of nature trails.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I finished Week 11 Day 1 today.
  • woodwardtm
    Options
    I finished 5k210k w2d3 today. 35 minutes of steady run. I laugh when she prompts for a steady run telling me it is faster than a jog but still at a conversational pace. Bahahaha I basically have just one pace. :D
  • woodwardtm
    Options
    Piqueaboo wrote: »

Is your Week 11 equivalent to our week 2? My transition program only has 9 weeks, plus my original C25K program had 9 weeks.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone! Nice to see this thread more active again.

I'm running my 1st 10K next Saturday... kind of plopped that race in the middle of my half marathon training, so have a 6 mile run tomorrow, and a 12 mile run on Sunday... that will be the furthest I have run EVER! I'm going to take it easy next week with a couple shorter runs on Tues and Wed so I'm not dead tired for the race.

Have a great weekend!
  • upsaluki
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    Great job everyone! Nice to see this thread more active again.

I'm running my 1st 10K next Saturday... kind of plopped that race in the middle of my half marathon training, so have a 6 mile run tomorrow, and a 12 mile run on Sunday... that will be the furthest I have run EVER! I'm going to take it easy next week with a couple shorter runs on Tues and Wed so I'm not dead tired for the race.

Have a great weekend!

Awesome. Go get 'em!
  • upsaluki
    Options
    woodwardtm wrote: »
    Piqueaboo wrote: »

Is your Week 11 equivalent to our week 2? My transition program only has 9 weeks, plus my original C25K program had 9 weeks.

Mine only 5k210k only has six weeks. It was a pretty big jump at first.

I finished week 5 day 2 today. It was unexpectedly warm here today (62 F). I was struggling out there in my long pants and shirt. I'm going to have to start bringing shirts and short sleeves to work for my runs.