Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Go Rindy!!!! That sounds crazy but a great experience.

Today was the first day of my actual 10k training program - a nice 4 miles, with wonderful music and a chill in the air. Got a new head lamp which I wore on my arm, baby steps lol
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I ran the Hot Chocolate 5k yesterday in Chicago. They were also running a 15k at the same time. There were a little over 34,000 runners. I was in a corral about half way back in the second wave of runners. The first wave started at 7am, the second wave at 7:45, I didn't start until 8:05. It was 36 degrees at the start of the race, I was dressed for it, but started to get really cold the last 15 minutes or so before I started running. It was beyond crowded, to the point of being elbowed, pushed and my feet stepped on quite a bit. The crowd didn't start to thin out at all until the last 1/4 mile where we hit a hill and the 15k course took a different path. I had my music on with one earbud in as usual and most of the time I couldn't hear the music above the crowd noise, and no I'm not complaining about that. The energy in the crowd was amazing. The post race party where we got our hot chocolate and finisher's mugs was in the park. It had rained off and on for the past 3 days so the ground was rather muddy. I seriously need to clean my shoes. It took forever to make our way through the crowd. Even with wall to wall people and the crowd hardly moving everyone was so nice and polite. Overall for me it was an awesome experience even though my time was 2 seconds slower than the last one, 39:18.

Wow! Congrats. Thanks so much for the description. And you did awesome!
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Did my longest yet long run today. 8 miles. One of the coolest parts was when I turned off the Garmin and saw "8.02 miles, longest run." The most amazing part was reaching the top of the "castle" at the top of the hill/mountain. I even made myself run up the 6 flights of stairs (that almost did me in).
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Did my longest yet long run today. 8 miles. One of the coolest parts was when I turned off the Garmin and saw "8.02 miles, longest run." The most amazing part was reaching the top of the "castle" at the top of the hill/mountain. I even made myself run up the 6 flights of stairs (that almost did me in).

Awesome job tackling the stairs after the run! Holy cow.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    1462990_695878550422834_151813685_n.jpg
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Yamsteroo and Rindy - I enjoyed reading your racing stories. Great job to both of you!
  • KathleenKP
    Options

And then you had to go down those stairs. 8 miles!!
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options

Wow! Wow! Wow! Awesome, Jessie!!! I hope to get there! :-)
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    I ran the Hot Chocolate 5k yesterday in Chicago. They were also running a 15k at the same time. There were a little over 34,000 runners. I was in a corral about half way back in the second wave of runners. The first wave started at 7am, the second wave at 7:45, I didn't start until 8:05. It was 36 degrees at the start of the race, I was dressed for it, but started to get really cold the last 15 minutes or so before I started running. It was beyond crowded, to the point of being elbowed, pushed and my feet stepped on quite a bit. The crowd didn't start to thin out at all until the last 1/4 mile where we hit a hill and the 15k course took a different path. I had my music on with one earbud in as usual and most of the time I couldn't hear the music above the crowd noise, and no I'm not complaining about that. The energy in the crowd was amazing. The post race party where we got our hot chocolate and finisher's mugs was in the park. It had rained off and on for the past 3 days so the ground was rather muddy. I seriously need to clean my shoes. It took forever to make our way through the crowd. Even with wall to wall people and the crowd hardly moving everyone was so nice and polite. Overall for me it was an awesome experience even though my time was 2 seconds slower than the last one, 39:18.

34,000 runners!!!?! Yikes! Sounds cool, amazing and a little scary all at the same time. Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your experience!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Yay 10k!

Because I overshot the run way last week and did 5.5 miles I thought why not try for 6.22 this week? Just to see ... nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that.

So off I went when the sun came up (day off today) at a chilly 3 centigrade. Started off slowish (1st mile 11.3) and just kept going, getting a bit faster in subsequent miles as I got more confident I could do this.

Final time was 1hr 8mins 19secs which was good enough for me today as I did part of it on trails and had to stop to cross traffic a lot and a train at one point. Fastest mile was 10.17 which wasn't bad for a long run.

Even though it was chilly heading out I'd done my warm up by walking the dog just before I went for my run so I made do with a long sleeved top and capris as I was able to start running from the end of my street. My blast furnace internal heating served me well and I didn't feel cold even on the mile cool down walk (wasn't meant to be a mile but the college next door had closed one of the paths - doh!)

All in all I'm very happy with that and as I've kind of spoiled my 10k training plan by hitting 10k ahead of schedule I'll use the next couple of weeks to improve my time - I'd like to be doing 10k sub 60mins before spring which now doesn't seem such a silly idea :bigsmile:

Awesome, Yamsteroo! I have no doubt that you'll be sub 60 by Spring...Maybe there is a HM in your future too? :-)
  • bttrthanevr
    Options

Beth, I chew gum while I run. Want to say I got the idea from Varda. It eliminates the cotton mouth.

I tried chewing gum (although I worried that I would lack the coordination, LOL!) and it worked!!! Thanks for passing along the tip! 6 windy, mouth-breathing miles and no cotton-mouth! :-)!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

Beth, I chew gum while I run. Want to say I got the idea from Varda. It eliminates the cotton mouth.

I tried chewing gum (although I worried that I would lack the coordination, LOL!) and it worked!!! Thanks for passing along the tip! 6 windy, mouth-breathing miles and no cotton-mouth! :-)!

I started out with throat drops - not cough drops but like the vitamin C drops or that kind of thing. And then I almost choked on one, so I switched to gum. :smile:
  • solardippo
    solardippo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello everybody.

There has been too much to catch up on for me to comment on it all, but I do have to say I was laughing out loud at the bedraggled cat circling the house like a vulture and slipping off the toilet seat. I have no words for how sweaty I get running. I DRIP a few minutes after I stop. My hair is wet through, face blotchy red and and the less said about my breathing the better. I am not an attractive exerciser.

I had to look up your temperatures as my brain only works in centigrade. It was 2 degrees when I was out this morning which I think is about 36f. It would have been below freezing had I made it out yesterday but The Blerch plus the IBS after effects of a weekend away at a wedding where I ate and drank everything in sight (whether it was mine to consume or not) conspired to keep me on the couch under a blanket. It was peculiar being that hot and cold at the same time while I was out. My internal furnace making me too hot and sweaty while my thighs and upper arms felt the cold. I felt like the cold thighs were a problem - stiffening me up.

Anyway, I managed my first run since Thursday, at about 9km in 1 hour 2 mins, with 4 x 1 minute walks/ traffic light stops. I am finding that Runtastic on my phone likes to zigzag all over the place and I can't trust its distances (and with that pace etc). Mapping my route when I get home gives me a more accurate and believable distance. I went into work really early, when there would be nobody else about, got my work done fast then ran home. I couldn't go through the big city park I intended to as it was all closed for the big annual fireworks display that is on in an hour - Guy Faulks night.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I have not run in nearly a week - not since last Wednesday morning. Friday I started to get sick. Saturday I only made it half a mile before realizing I was being an idiot trying to run with a chest cold. Truthfully it's making me a little nervous that I have no burning desire to get out and run again, although I haven't wanted to do any kind of cardio since getting this cold. I did do some quick intense cardio at the gym tonight and that felt fine so maybe I'm ready to run again. I would hope after 6 months of running 3x a week I won't completely fall off the rails after a week.
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    I have not run in nearly a week - not since last Wednesday morning. Friday I started to get sick. Saturday I only made it half a mile before realizing I was being an idiot trying to run with a chest cold. Truthfully it's making me a little nervous that I have no burning desire to get out and run again, although I haven't wanted to do any kind of cardio since getting this cold. I did do some quick intense cardio at the gym tonight and that felt fine so maybe I'm ready to run again. I would hope after 6 months of running 3x a week I won't completely fall off the rails after a week.

You won't. I promise. I have felt nervous and intimidated about running when a "long" time ( more than 4 or 5 days) has passed since my last run. But I just push through, lace up my shoes and get out the door, and before I know it I'm right back on track without skipping a beat.
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    I had similar concerns, so I just did a shorter run. And, like Beth said, I was just fine. You will have a good run. :)
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I skipped the group run last night. Went to the gym instead and did the elliptical and stationary bike. I'm going to try a track workout tonight and see how my hip feels. It's feeling much better this morning.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    When I got home from work yesterday, it was already dark outside, but I got dressed for a run anyway. As I was about to walk out the door, my daughter called- still planned to run. 30 seconds into my warm up walk, it started raining. I bailed. I feel uncomfortable enough running in my neighborhood in the dark (have almost been hit a couple of times). I really didn't want to take a chance in the dark and in the rain. Hoping I will get a run or ride in this afternoon, brought my gear to work.

Leaving tomorrow for a quick trip home to TX to visit family and friends, probably won't have much time for exercise while I'm there.

I'm struggling with the thought of being ready to move to maintenance as I weighed in this morning at my lowest weight so far- lower than when I graduated from high school! Why am I so nervous about this?
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I skipped the group run last night. Went to the gym instead and did the elliptical and stationary bike. I'm going to try a track workout tonight and see how my hip feels. It's feeling much better this morning.

Glad it's feeling better, Tim.

You just need to get out again, Laura. Being sick just throws you.

Have a good trip, Ceci. I decided the same when I was running Monday night, a beautiful night, but pitch dark. I've found that my glasses fog and distort too much in the rain. I'll run in the dark. I'll run in the rain. But I won't run in the dark while it's raining or snowing if it's coming down hard enough to mess up my glasses.

Fells and I have our night running attire set now. He wears a harness with his bright LED light clipped on top and his light up collar for backup. I wear my running clothes with my blinking vest worn backward so the bikes coming up behind can see me and my bright LED light (the same type as Fells') clipped onto the front of the vest to light me and the path in front of me. It worked great on Monday and that was as dark as it gets. We also are running a different path. More stoplights, but also just more people around.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    When I got home from work yesterday, it was already dark outside, but I got dressed for a run anyway. As I was about to walk out the door, my daughter called- still planned to run. 30 seconds into my warm up walk, it started raining. I bailed. I feel uncomfortable enough running in my neighborhood in the dark (have almost been hit a couple of times). I really didn't want to take a chance in the dark and in the rain. Hoping I will get a run or ride in this afternoon, brought my gear to work.

Leaving tomorrow for a quick trip home to TX to visit family and friends, probably won't have much time for exercise while I'm there.

I'm struggling with the thought of being ready to move to maintenance as I weighed in this morning at my lowest weight so far- lower than when I graduated from high school! Why am I so nervous about this?

It's a different way of thinking about yourself. It also feels weird not to have goals in that area.