Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yes! Congrats, Tim! And I TOO hope to someday have a WORST mile like yours! And awesome pictures!!! Thanks for sharing! :-)

And Yamsteroo, I was wondering how your run went with that whopper of a storm. Glad you are OK and had a good run!

I could only manage to squeeze in 30 mins tonight. I got in 2.5 miles of hills in that time, so I'm Ok with it. I was running in pitch dark. Thankfully my husband has a reflective vest and I borrowed my son's headlamp. It went well , although I imagine that I looked like a cyborg. I chose more hills rather than do a somewhat flatter route due to the flatter part being very dark and wooded with no houses. Did I mention that the dark scares me? However, I want to run outside through the winter, so dark it is. I flushed out deer twice on my run. Thankfully no bear! Tomorrow is weight training, then Thursday should be 4 miles. Then 6 again on Saturday or Sunday.

I literally about spit my after out when I read this about your cyborg comment ;))) Lolol the dark scares the crap out if me too!!!! And if I see a panel van I imagine what would happen if someone tried to abduct me!!!! This is what keeps me up at night - ;)
  • madmiss
    Options

Good work pushing through, Rindy!

I have been wondering when fuel during a run will come into play. So far all I have carried is water on my long runs, of which the longest is currently 6.25 miles and one hour and 19 minutes long. I do always have a light protein snack before my runs. Anyone have some advice on this? If I don't HAVE to eat anything or carry anything other than water, I don't want to.

I have the same questions - I don't want to eat but I use those gu energy chews. I've tried gels, food, water, jelly beans, peanut buter, and none of it ever seems to work?!?!?? I feel zapped of energy a lot, then I come back and want to hurl - and still don't want to eat.... It takes me at least an hour usually before I can stomach anything... I've been debating reading a book in my non-spare time about this cause the longer I go the worse I assume it will get.
  • madmiss
    Options
    I originally did C25K last summer (repeated it this year & kept going this time) and intentionally ran early in the morning so nobody would see me. I was worried I looked like a moron, plus was convinced that people would see me and think "she's too big to run." The day I ran past a yard full of high school boys playing football and didn't care was the first time I felt like a real runner.

Good for you Laura about running past the school boys and your great attitude ;)!!! I too used to feel very weird running in front of people especially at the end in my neighborhood because I'm like a bedraggled cat when I'm done and exhausted and on the last few minutes circling by my house like a vulture... But I love running on the road and by people now, I think it makes me run faster because I want to make sure I don't look like an idiot... Then I look at race pictures and think I look like an idiot ;) and I still circle my house like a bedraggled cat at the end when I feel like I'm going to die of exhaustion ;) it's just now I don't care lol

Edit... Sorry fir all the posts - I don't know how to multi-quote on the iPad....

I noticed before people were talking about blogs - how many people have running blogs? I started one a while back in a fun third person way, just curious what you write?

Also I went for my first run tonight since my fall on Sunday with my oozing knee and it went very well - 2 intervals of 25 minutes with a 1 min walk in the middle - not the fastest time but not the slowest, and my knee and I lightly struggled through to fight another day... I'm running out if daylight, however, and that makes me sad ;(
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Good for you Laura about running past the school boys and your great attitude ;)!!! I too used to feel very weird running in front of people especially at the end in my neighborhood because I'm like a bedraggled cat when I'm done and exhausted and on the last few minutes circling by my house like a vulture... But I love running on the road and by people now, I think it makes me run faster because I want to make sure I don't look like an idiot... Then I look at race pictures and think I look like an idiot ;) and I still circle my house like a bedraggled cat at the end when I feel like I'm going to die of exhaustion ;) it's just now I don't care lol

This literally made me laugh out loud. I totally get you about the bedraggled cat.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Good work pushing through, Rindy!

I have been wondering when fuel during a run will come into play. So far all I have carried is water on my long runs, of which the longest is currently 6.25 miles and one hour and 19 minutes long. I do always have a light protein snack before my runs. Anyone have some advice on this? If I don't HAVE to eat anything or carry anything other than water, I don't want to.

I have the same questions - I don't want to eat but I use those gu energy chews. I've tried gels, food, water, jelly beans, peanut buter, and none of it ever seems to work?!?!?? I feel zapped of energy a lot, then I come back and want to hurl - and still don't want to eat.... It takes me at least an hour usually before I can stomach anything... I've been debating reading a book in my non-spare time about this cause the longer I go the worse I assume it will get.

Are you getting enough carbs through the day? On my longer runs, I don't feel hungry after so I make sure and eat a couple of hours before I run. Have you tried drinks? Gatorade can help a lot.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I love trail running - That extra bit of bounce under your feet makes all the difference even if it is at the expense of speed (well for me anyway) -roll on Spring when t will be light enough in the mornings to get back on them.

Do you think you'll run trails more often now?

Yep! It was easier on my knees than I expected! We have a few dirt trails around here I am looking forward to exploring.
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I found a dirt road on Sunday that is now part of my long run. The dirt portion is maybe a mile and a half but it makes for a nice break from the asphalt. Managed to knock out 5 last night despite the heat and humidity. Truly amazed with how much my weekly mileage is growing from where I started in July. Wen't from six mile weeks to 20+, and loving it. Although I really have to thank my husband for making sure I get out the door on most of my runs. He has my training plan memorized and is a dang good kid wrangler as well!
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I ran 3 miles today in a light drizzle. I'm just glad it was about 60 degrees. Don't think I want to run in rain if it's in the mid 40s the way it has been the past week or two. Here's to hoping today's weather prediction is wrong. It's supposed to rain all day and throughout the evening and I'm supposed to take my girls trick or treating tonight.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I ran 3 miles today in a light drizzle. I'm just glad it was about 60 degrees. Don't think I want to run in rain if it's in the mid 40s the way it has been the past week or two. Here's to hoping today's weather prediction is wrong. It's supposed to rain all day and throughout the evening and I'm supposed to take my girls trick or treating tonight.

Yikes. It's supposed to be 70 here. SO not missing Minnesota, where it would occasionally snow.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    In Minnesota. We have had snow.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I skipped running today to help my IT band calm down. I went to the gym instead and did the elliptical and stationary bike. Got a good cardio workout without any soreness. I stretched for a long time after that and the IT band feels much, much better.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I skipped running today to help my IT band calm down. I went to the gym instead and did the elliptical and stationary bike. Got a good cardio workout without any soreness. I stretched for a long time after that and the IT band feels much, much better.

Do you have a foam roller? It's a lifesaver for the IT band.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Do you have a foam roller? It's a lifesaver for the IT band.

Yep, we have two with different degrees of torture. I haven't been really good about rolling regularly but I am now. One side almost makes me want to cry when rolling the IT band and the other side is fine.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options

This literally made me laugh out loud. I totally get you about the bedraggled cat.

Bedraggled wet cat circling like a vulture!?!?!?!!! Ha! That's me too! Gotta finish that distance, even if it means running up and down the street a couple of times to finish it off. Way to not let that knee hold you back, madmiss!

And...You are a runner and an athlete, Laura! For real! Isn't it awesome? :-)
  • bttrthanevr
    Options

Are you getting enough carbs through the day? On my longer runs, I don't feel hungry after so I make sure and eat a couple of hours before I run. Have you tried drinks? Gatorade can help a lot.

I kind of forgot about Gatorade now that the weather is cooler, but that is a good idea. I really like G2 Raspberry Lemonade and hydration is not my strong suit, so extra focus on that wouldn't hurt either. My mouth is cottony sometimes during my runs (that's why I started carrying water for runs longer than three miles).
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    I found a dirt road on Sunday that is now part of my long run. The dirt portion is maybe a mile and a half but it makes for a nice break from the asphalt. Managed to knock out 5 last night despite the heat and humidity. Truly amazed with how much my weekly mileage is growing from where I started in July. Wen't from six mile weeks to 20+, and loving it. Although I really have to thank my husband for making sure I get out the door on most of my runs. He has my training plan memorized and is a dang good kid wrangler as well!

Awesome progress! How lucky you are to have a husband that is so supportive! Mine tries. :-)
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Brilliant shots, Tim, thanks for sharing :)

A frosty 2mile run this morning (my first sub zero centigrade run ever) so I decided to do it on the hill for a change. Normally I have a downhill stretch and then inevitably I run back up a different hill to get home in a loop but this morning I just kept running up and down the same section of hill near my house until I beeped 2miles. I've more than likely just underlined my 'nutter' status with the neighbours but what the hell :)

I'll maybe go a little slower next time and pay more attention to my stride but it seems to make better use of my 2mile run than just making up the numbers so I'll stick with it for a while and see if it improves .....anything!

I imagine that my neighbors were thinking the same thing when they saw my run up and down our streets, over and over with a light shining out from the middle of my forehead. Oh, well! :-)

I terrified mine with my red running light the other night. They were all standing out in their yard to see what it was.

lol. I'm imagining that scene.
  • KathleenKP
    Options

I am thinking about trying to do a Sprint Triathlon someday, maybe.

Oh, and as for my daily check in, I got in a 5k run last night. I ran easy. Next one I do, I'm using music and upping the speed. I don't thank that I need to be running as easy as I am any more.

YES!!

To both of those things. I just can't get myself to run faster outside. With or without music, it doesn't make a difference for me. My breathing is pretty easy, too.

It might be form, then. Do you have access to a clinic or a coach? There was an article on "the science of running website" that is beginning to make all the difference in the world to me. He talks about the parts of running that are voluntary and involuntary. For instance, the entire motion of the leg from picking up the foot to the apex of the knee movement is involuntary. Trying to raise knee height bleeds force from the movement and wastes energy. You get that good high knee movement when you let your calves fully load - so allowing your body to follow through the full stride is a mechanically easier movement.

That's what I was doing with the cadence runs over the last couple weeks- working on that and remaining stable in my core as I run to a rhythm. Take everything I say with a grain of salt because I'm one of the slower runners on this board, but your speed work shows you have more capacity.

Hmmm. Maybe I should have someone look over my form again. Today I was running behind this guy who had beautiful form, running at 7:30 pace. Of course, I *thought* I looked like his form, but I was probably way off. What I think I look like and what I actually look like are probably two very different things. I do remember my husband running behind me (one time only) and he said that my form looked really good (to his untrained eye) the faster I got.

I also have an endurance issue when I go faster, but that's not a brilliant statement by any stretch. So that's part of what I need to work on. But I think the main thing is working through whatever is holding me back with speed in general (muscles, mental, technique, etc). I never thought I could run, and I suspect that part of my issue is overcoming that block - "couldn't run at all, so now that I can, I just can't run fast".
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    I originally did C25K last summer (repeated it this year & kept going this time) and intentionally ran early in the morning so nobody would see me. I was worried I looked like a moron, plus was convinced that people would see me and think "she's too big to run." The day I ran past a yard full of high school boys playing football and didn't care was the first time I felt like a real runner.

What a great moment.

I also look like a bedraggled cat. And I get so sweaty that I have slipped right off the toilet seat twice after my runs. Not that you all need that visual. But my husband thought it was funny and wanted to install a grab-bar for me. That's when I knew I loved the Apple earbuds. I was sweaty enough to slide around, but they stayed in my ears for the whole run.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    6 mile long run at 4:00 AM @ 9:48 pace...

I decided to run to a trail and run the trail this morning at a local park....BIG MISTAKE!!!...As soon as I go off the road, I flushed a coyote and several other animals I couldn't identify! I couldn't see the trail. Pulled my headphones out and swore that I was being followed by something along the creek bank...

I popped back onto the road at the next chance and adjusted my route to follow lighted streets on the fly.

I absolutely love that trail..it's a perfect 4 miles up and back, however, it holds something creepy in the dark, an unspeakable horror that drove my pace a full minute faster than I intended.