Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    After I finished the 10-miler race on Sunday I grabbed my camera and started shooting pics of the marathon finishers until my wife crossed the finish line. My wife is in the last few photos of the set. Here's the set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timscreations/sets/72157637055191593/

I love, love love A1318.

Your wife looks so cool! You do a really good job at finish line pix. Not many people look raised from the dead.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the welcome. I did go out last night in the end. Dark and started raining half way, but I had had a big dinner so it felt fairly easy. Apparently my pace was my slowest since I started using Runtastic to track though, which I am hoping was just me watching for potholes and branches and stray junkies in my path in the dark.

I am jealous of those of you talking about biking and running trails. Since I moved house I have hardly been on my bike- Glasgow roads are not bike friendly (understatement) and I don't drive so am limited to running through places I can run to!

A beautiful blue sky day today for the first time in what feels like months! I had forgotten what it was like to see colour outside instead of rain.

I'm really beginning to look forward to your posts :wink:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Welcome Solar! Sounds like you have a lot of wet weather running in your future...

Rduh - are you talking about the one where the guy who decides to run 10 miles without any water and he sees water everywhere and nearly dies on the hwy? If so, that was flipping hilarious!

Nice job Laura! I don t ever want to love hills - lol

I would love to read a book on running but between running and regular life, I have no free time!!!! Not that I'm complaining ;)

No, it was a story about a guy's first time at a water stop and how he ends up drenched in gatorade because he didnt' know how to hand it out. Supposedly there is a strategy. At the end, one of the runner's asks him to drench him in all 5 cups of water he was holding and it makes his day. It was in the Runner's World magazine for next month, but they don't have it posted on the site yet. It is so funny, so keep an eye out for it.

I have only read one book on running so far, and that is Running on Air. I try to follow the breathing rhythm they teach, but it is pretty hard to do so. I have sort of modified one of their techniques and it is working for me.

Last night was a 4.7 mile run for me. I loved every minute of it...I couldn't shut up on my page because of the runner's high I had lol. It was bad last night lol. Tonight is weight lifting, and then tomorrow night my run with Breakaway. I love my Wednesday night runs at the store. Which reminds me, need to make sure one of my coworkers doesn't bail on me. Talk to ya'll later!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Today was an easy run day and I completed my monthly challenge of run/walking (training sessions only) 120K in October. As of today, I've logged 123.5Km. I'd guess that 3/4 or more was running.
    I went my hilly route this morning and timed 1K uphill. It took me 8:50. It's a fairly steep grade and I'm happy with that time (but will still be trying to better it). I remember when I had to stop a couple of times to walk before topping the hill, which is a bit over 1.5K in distance.

According to the weather report, the sunny days are coming to an end. Shame. I'm really enjoying them a lot. I need to find some kind of head covering for the rainy days. Any suggestions? Would a baseball cap work? I've seen nylon caps at Running Room but don't really want one of those (unless someone here can verify that they work really well). They seem a bit flimsy.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    B1505 looks like Nathan Fillion..great shots Tim
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I remember when I had to stop a couple of times to walk before topping the hill, which is a bit over 1.5K in distance.

Good job!!!
    According to the weather report, the sunny days are coming to an end. Shame. I'm really enjoying them a lot. I need to find some kind of head covering for the rainy days. Any suggestions? Would a baseball cap work? I've seen nylon caps at Running Room but don't really want one of those (unless someone here can verify that they work really well). They seem a bit flimsy.

I wear a baseball cap (actually it's a runner's hat - baseball shape, but technical fabric). It's mostly about keeping the water out of my eyes.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I got one of these at one of my 5Ks this year:
    mMwybjaqorIwvusfyWuQFDw.jpg

It is flimsy, but I like the light weight of it. And it holds up well to washings, I have washed it several times now.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    B1505 looks like Nathan Fillion..great shots Tim

OMG! He does look like Nathan!

Awesome shots, Tim!
  • solardippo
    solardippo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    5 miles crawled through. Felt ok though. I went round the local park until it became too dark and I was in danger of running into the pond then took to the streets where I swear every second person was standing around with a delicious smelling steaming bag of vinegary chips (fries).

I like the idea of a hat like those to keep the rain out of my eyes then I remember the problems I have with my glasses steaming up and think the brim would only make that worse. Does anybody else have this problem? It only bothers me in the dark.
  • solardippo
    solardippo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    After I finished the 10-miler race on Sunday I grabbed my camera and started shooting pics of the marathon finishers until my wife crossed the finish line. My wife is in the last few photos of the set. Here's the set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timscreations/sets/72157637055191593/

Wow, those really are great! Every emotion on their faces... Also, the bleeding nips really are a thing? (A1019)
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Wow, those really are great! Every emotion on their faces... Also, the bleeding nips really are a thing? (A1019)

Thanks! I saw way too many bleeding nipples!
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options

I am thinking about trying to do a Sprint Triathlon someday, maybe.

Oh, and as for my daily check in, I got in a 5k run last night. I ran easy. Next one I do, I'm using music and upping the speed. I don't thank that I need to be running as easy as I am any more.

YES!!

To both of those things. I just can't get myself to run faster outside. With or without music, it doesn't make a difference for me. My breathing is pretty easy, too.
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Tim, the pictures are great, thanks for sharing them.

This afternoon I ran 5.5 miles in 1:15:04. My pace was 13:42. I was begging for the run to be done at 5 miles. My third run with no music and today is when I really needed it. Last Friday I got a new phone and switched from Android to iPhone. I still have to download all my music from Google Play to my computer and put it all in iTunes. I have to do that before my race on Sunday!

I had another lesson learned today. I was so busy with work that I didn't eat enough and I was starving half way through my run. I will never do that again. I was struggling really bad with not having enough energy to finish the run. I pushed through and finished my run, but like I said, lesson learned, never do again!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    5 miles crawled through. Felt ok though. I went round the local park until it became too dark and I was in danger of running into the pond then took to the streets where I swear every second person was standing around with a delicious smelling steaming bag of vinegary chips (fries).

I like the idea of a hat like those to keep the rain out of my eyes then I remember the problems I have with my glasses steaming up and think the brim would only make that worse. Does anybody else have this problem? It only bothers me in the dark.

The hat helps - my glasses steam up if I run in the rain without the hat, but the hat both keeps the rain off the lenses & it keeps them from steaming up. I first bought a cheap baseball hat and it made my head sweat horribly, so I invested in the runner's version and that's better.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Yes! Congrats, Tim! And I TOO hope to someday have a WORST mile like yours! And awesome pictures!!! Thanks for sharing! :-)

And Yamsteroo, I was wondering how your run went with that whopper of a storm. Glad you are OK and had a good run!

I could only manage to squeeze in 30 mins tonight. I got in 2.5 miles of hills in that time, so I'm Ok with it. I was running in pitch dark. Thankfully my husband has a reflective vest and I borrowed my son's headlamp. It went well , although I imagine that I looked like a cyborg. I chose more hills rather than do a somewhat flatter route due to the flatter part being very dark and wooded with no houses. Did I mention that the dark scares me? However, I want to run outside through the winter, so dark it is. I flushed out deer twice on my run. Thankfully no bear! Tomorrow is weight training, then Thursday should be 4 miles. Then 6 again on Saturday or Sunday.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    The photos were fun to look at, Tim. You should come do them at my next race.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Brilliant shots, Tim, thanks for sharing :)

A frosty 2mile run this morning (my first sub zero centigrade run ever) so I decided to do it on the hill for a change. Normally I have a downhill stretch and then inevitably I run back up a different hill to get home in a loop but this morning I just kept running up and down the same section of hill near my house until I beeped 2miles. I've more than likely just underlined my 'nutter' status with the neighbours but what the hell :)

I'll maybe go a little slower next time and pay more attention to my stride but it seems to make better use of my 2mile run than just making up the numbers so I'll stick with it for a while and see if it improves .....anything!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Brilliant shots, Tim, thanks for sharing :)

A frosty 2mile run this morning (my first sub zero centigrade run ever) so I decided to do it on the hill for a change. Normally I have a downhill stretch and then inevitably I run back up a different hill to get home in a loop but this morning I just kept running up and down the same section of hill near my house until I beeped 2miles. I've more than likely just underlined my 'nutter' status with the neighbours but what the hell :)

I'll maybe go a little slower next time and pay more attention to my stride but it seems to make better use of my 2mile run than just making up the numbers so I'll stick with it for a while and see if it improves .....anything!

I imagine that my neighbors were thinking the same thing when they saw my run up and down our streets, over and over with a light shining out from the middle of my forehead. Oh, well! :-)
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Tim, the pictures are great, thanks for sharing them.

This afternoon I ran 5.5 miles in 1:15:04. My pace was 13:42. I was begging for the run to be done at 5 miles. My third run with no music and today is when I really needed it. Last Friday I got a new phone and switched from Android to iPhone. I still have to download all my music from Google Play to my computer and put it all in iTunes. I have to do that before my race on Sunday!

I had another lesson learned today. I was so busy with work that I didn't eat enough and I was starving half way through my run. I will never do that again. I was struggling really bad with not having enough energy to finish the run. I pushed through and finished my run, but like I said, lesson learned, never do again!

Good work pushing through, Rindy!

I have been wondering when fuel during a run will come into play. So far all I have carried is water on my long runs, of which the longest is currently 6.25 miles and one hour and 19 minutes long. I do always have a light protein snack before my runs. Anyone have some advice on this? If I don't HAVE to eat anything or carry anything other than water, I don't want to.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    We did an easy 2.8 mile run last night with the group. Still a little sore from the race but I felt better once I got warmed up. This is what the running store had waiting for us at the end of the run:

10572406356_32acc1a7b5.jpg