Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    As a sort-of answer to Plexgut's question, I am reading the John Bingham books. He mentions that "adult onset athletes" generally achieve their PRs in about 7-10 years of running.

CarsonRuns once mentioned that a 25 minute. 5k would take about 16 weeks to train for and would require the same distances as a half, but might be a better choice for a new runner than a marathon.

My next "real" run will either be a 6k or a 10k and I'd like to do a 10 minute mile - though my asthma always hits when I start breaking 11:30.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    Ran 4 miles this morning...toughest run I have had since I started running in August...it was an easy pace, just one of those i couldn't really get into the groove of kind of days...

first 5K is on November 9th and i'm starting to get nervous about it.
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I ran 3 miles on Friday and another 3 yesterday morning. I got a new phone and yesterday spent about 10 minutes trying to get my Nike+ app to actually start my run. I gave up and started running anyhow. I know where I hit each 1/2 mile as I run this route on a regular basis. I tried to get it started again at 1.5 miles and it started without any issue. I hope I don't continue to have that problem.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad the 10-mile race is over! Now I can focus on the Thanksgiving half marathon and be confident I can finish under 2 hours.

The 10-mile race was brutal. Up and down the entire way. The worst was mile 8 - this was the famous "Cardiac Hill" that I first ran in the Peachtree Road Race on July 4th. This hill is so named because it passes right by the Piedmont Hospital heart center. During that race I hit the hill after only 3 miles (mostly downhill) so it didn't feel so bad. But yesterday I hit that same hill after 7 miles and it felt like a mountain! That turned out to be my slowest mile but I still had a bit of energy to speed up at the end.

10535082553_660acb3e50_z.jpg
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Ran 4 miles this morning...toughest run I have had since I started running in August...it was an easy pace, just one of those i couldn't really get into the groove of kind of days...

Joe, don't be nervous, your times are awesome! Just run like you do every other time and you will be fine - was very nervous before my first one also, but now I'm OK just left wondering why everyone else in the field can run so much faster than me! lol You won't have that problem you are a speed demom!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad the 10-mile race is over! Now I can focus on the Thanksgiving half marathon and be confident I can finish under 2 hours.

The 10-mile race was brutal. Up and down the entire way. The worst was mile 8 - this was the famous "Cardiac Hill" that I first ran in the Peachtree Road Race on July 4th. This hill is so named because it passes right by the Piedmont Hospital heart center. During that race I hit the hill after only 3 miles (mostly downhill) so it didn't feel so bad. But yesterday I hit that same hill after 7 miles and it felt like a mountain! That turned out to be my slowest mile but I still had a bit of energy to speed up at the end.

Congrats Tim! Wow, your times are great also... I hope I can one day say I have a "worst mile" in the 8 minute range :) Glad you knocked it out of the park and can look forward to your next challenge!
  • solardippo
    solardippo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello,

This is (I think) my first post on any of these forums, but as I have been lurking on, and being inspired by, this daily thread I thought I would say hello. You seem like a supportive and sensible bunch!

I am a 37 year old formerly (very) fat scottish girl who is new to running. I never dreamed I would be a runner - I HATED it, or anything athletic, in school. In fact I remember a couple of years ago laughing out loud at someone who suggested I try the couch to 5K program with them. How would my knees and lungs do that?!? Anyway, last spring after loosing a chunk of weight I just did it one day. Thought 60 seconds of running was going to kill me, but by summer I had graduated the C25K app and it was... OK. Not that hard. However a few weeks later I developed shin splints, which combined with moving house and various excuses meant I stopped running for 5 months.

I started the C25K app again (from 3 or 4 weeks in) because my expensive trainers were mocking me. Graduated a few weeks ago on an official British Heart Foundation 5k that I spotted the night before that run was due and signed up for. I think my time was about 33 minutes which I was pretty pleased with. Anyway, I have moved on to following a bridge to 10k app on my iphone and it seems to be going well apart from the convincing myself to go out in the grey sludgy rain and slippery pavements part of it. I cheated one day last week when I was feeling quite good though and just... ignored the intervals my headphones were giving me and kept going. Ran 10k and felt utterly stunned at myself.

I would brought back down to earth yesterday though when I went out after a really broken nights sleep (a bad fire on my street) and after 15 minutes just had to give up and do lampost intervals to loop home. My heart rate was shooting up really high really quickly. Sleep is important...

Anyway, hello. It is pishing with rain out there again, but should I give the 3x 15 min runs I missed yesterday another go this afternoon?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Hello,

This is (I think) my first post on any of these forums, but as I have been lurking on, and being inspired by, this daily thread I thought I would say hello. You seem like a supportive and sensible bunch!

I am a 37 year old formerly (very) fat scottish girl who is new to running. I never dreamed I would be a runner - I HATED it, or anything athletic, in school. In fact I remember a couple of years ago laughing out loud at someone who suggested I try the couch to 5K program with them. How would my knees and lungs do that?!? Anyway, last spring after loosing a chunk of weight I just did it one day. Thought 60 seconds of running was going to kill me, but by summer I had graduated the C25K app and it was... OK. Not that hard. However a few weeks later I developed shin splints, which combined with moving house and various excuses meant I stopped running for 5 months.

I started the C25K app again (from 3 or 4 weeks in) because my expensive trainers were mocking me. Graduated a few weeks ago on an official British Heart Foundation 5k that I spotted the night before that run was due and signed up for. I think my time was about 33 minutes which I was pretty pleased with. Anyway, I have moved on to following a bridge to 10k app on my iphone and it seems to be going well apart from the convincing myself to go out in the grey sludgy rain and slippery pavements part of it. I cheated one day last week when I was feeling quite good though and just... ignored the intervals my headphones were giving me and kept going. Ran 10k and felt utterly stunned at myself.

I would brought back down to earth yesterday though when I went out after a really broken nights sleep (a bad fire on my street) and after 15 minutes just had to give up and do lampost intervals to loop home. My heart rate was shooting up really high really quickly. Sleep is important...

Anyway, hello. It is pishing with rain out there again, but should I give the 3x 15 min runs I missed yesterday another go this afternoon?

Good job getting out there! I, personally, would give it a shot. Bad runs are usually followed by good runs (and I love running in drizzle).
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I ran 3 miles on Friday and another 3 yesterday morning. I got a new phone and yesterday spent about 10 minutes trying to get my Nike+ app to actually start my run. I gave up and started running anyhow. I know where I hit each 1/2 mile as I run this route on a regular basis. I tried to get it started again at 1.5 miles and it started without any issue. I hope I don't continue to have that problem.

I'm glad you just started running. Sometimes the technology gods just need to be placated or something.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Congrats Tim! Wow, your times are great also... I hope I can one day say I have a "worst mile" in the 8 minute range :) Glad you knocked it out of the park and can look forward to your next challenge!

That is a great race! Good job on taking care of yourself to get there!
  • likitisplit
    Options

Joe, don't be nervous, your times are awesome! Just run like you do every other time and you will be fine - was very nervous before my first one also, but now I'm OK just left wondering why everyone else in the field can run so much faster than me! lol You won't have that problem you are a speed demom!

Everybody has pre-race anxiety. Even the elites. You will astound yourself.

Edited to add a quote I ran across when I was jittery before the half:

"I had as many doubts as anyone else. Standing on the starting line, we're all cowards." -Alberto Salazar, three-time winner of the NYC marathon
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    thanks for the encouragement..

It is a 5K put on by the school my children attend, so there's a bit of added pressure to not look like a fool too...

It will be good to get the first one behind me.

Congrats Tim!...man you are fast!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

Yeah, I have many runs where I just can't get into it. But then you have a good run that makes you forget the bad ones. Good luck on your upcoming 5K! It's OK to be nervous. It happens every race for me. The night before yesterday's race I was wide awake at 1AM. Way too nervous to sleep. But the energy of race morning will get you going!
  • likitisplit
    Options

Yeah, I have many runs where I just can't get into it. But then you have a good run that makes you forget the bad ones. Good luck on your upcoming 5K! It's OK to be nervous. It happens every race for me. The night before yesterday's race I was wide awake at 1AM. Way too nervous to sleep. But the energy of race morning will get you going!

June to October was pretty much that way for me. But the last two weeks have made all that completely worth it.
  • solardippo
    solardippo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks Vardaeml,

I have had my weetabix, and am going to head out in a little while before the schools let out for the afternoon. I don't enjoy groups of sneering teenagers... and that is no drizzle out there!
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Ya'll are great, every time I check out this tread I feel inspired to keep on training. We do 4 miles, 10 mile races, 6 miles, half marathons, and everything in between. And we all seem to love it so.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Wow! It's great reading about how well everyone is doing! Terrific runs for all!

I'm still plodding along at 2 mile and 5k runs, but doing more 5k now than 2. You'd think that there wouldn't be much difference, but when my knee was bugging me more, one mile flat out and then back was all that I wanted to push on it. My 5k follows the same route, but it's one mile flat, then 1/2 mile up the big hill, then down and back. It feels like it's twice as long as the 2 mile, but I'm doing it easily now. I feel like I have a good handle on the icing of the knee and the stretches and that the knee improving. I'm giving myself one more week of 5k's, but going to do four of them this week.

I'm also excited that I signed up for swimming lessons. My local county swim center is offering Advanced Adult swim lessons for 6 weeks from mid November through December.

I started doing some swimming before and/or after the water aerobics drop in class I've been attending. While I feel comfortable in the water and most of the strokes are coming back to me, I have little endurance, which is not suprisingly as it's been 25+ years since I've done more than splash. I'm hoping that the class will help me get good technique back as I continue to build my endurance. It'll also be fun and low impact cross training during the winter.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I ran Friday after work- 4.18 miles + warm up and cool down. My left knee hurt badly for the first 20 steps of the run. I kept going and felt pretty good after that.

10-25-2013_zps98ecdd38.jpg

Saturday, I rode 25.79 miles on the bicycle. My knee was feeling tight, but loosened up after a few miles.

I decided to rest on Sunday, despite the awesome weather. Knee feels better today. I'm not going to run today, but may ride the bike this afternoon.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    As a sort-of answer to Plexgut's question, I am reading the John Bingham books. He mentions that "adult onset athletes" generally achieve their PRs in about 7-10 years of running.

CarsonRuns once mentioned that a 25 minute. 5k would take about 16 weeks to train for and would require the same distances as a half, but might be a better choice for a new runner than a marathon.

My next "real" run will either be a 6k or a 10k and I'd like to do a 10 minute mile - though my asthma always hits when I start breaking 11:30.

Thanks, Varda. This puts things into a perspective of sorts. As an "adult onset athlete" I have years to go before I reach a PR. I hope to run 5K in 35 minutes or less by the end of winter, though. That will be a stellar day and you'll all be hearing about it. :happy:

I hope your asthma holds off and you make that 10-minute mile goal.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

I had one of those runs recently, too. Very disheartening. BUT these runs are far and few between and your next run will be better.

You're going to do great on Nov 9th!!