Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Hello,

This is (I think) my first post on any of these forums, but as I have been lurking on, and being inspired by, this daily thread I thought I would say hello. You seem like a supportive and sensible bunch!

I am a 37 year old formerly (very) fat scottish girl who is new to running. I never dreamed I would be a runner - I HATED it, or anything athletic, in school. In fact I remember a couple of years ago laughing out loud at someone who suggested I try the couch to 5K program with them. How would my knees and lungs do that?!? Anyway, last spring after loosing a chunk of weight I just did it one day. Thought 60 seconds of running was going to kill me, but by summer I had graduated the C25K app and it was... OK. Not that hard. However a few weeks later I developed shin splints, which combined with moving house and various excuses meant I stopped running for 5 months.

I started the C25K app again (from 3 or 4 weeks in) because my expensive trainers were mocking me. Graduated a few weeks ago on an official British Heart Foundation 5k that I spotted the night before that run was due and signed up for. I think my time was about 33 minutes which I was pretty pleased with. Anyway, I have moved on to following a bridge to 10k app on my iphone and it seems to be going well apart from the convincing myself to go out in the grey sludgy rain and slippery pavements part of it. I cheated one day last week when I was feeling quite good though and just... ignored the intervals my headphones were giving me and kept going. Ran 10k and felt utterly stunned at myself.

I would brought back down to earth yesterday though when I went out after a really broken nights sleep (a bad fire on my street) and after 15 minutes just had to give up and do lampost intervals to loop home. My heart rate was shooting up really high really quickly. Sleep is important...

Anyway, hello. It is pishing with rain out there again, but should I give the 3x 15 min runs I missed yesterday another go this afternoon?

Welcome! I'm also training towards 10K. I'm running 5Ks during the work week and following the 10K app on the weekends. I'm at the 12 minute intervals now and about to move to the 15 minute intervals next weekend.
    I've only once run in drizzle and it was refreshing and cooling. I say give the run a try.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    As a sort-of answer to Plexgut's question, I am reading the John Bingham books. He mentions that "adult onset athletes" generally achieve their PRs in about 7-10 years of running.

Love it! I'm definitely an "adult onset athlete", "middle aged onset athlete", even!
  • solardippo
    solardippo Posts: 54 Member
    Not drizzle! The rain was bouncing and I couldn't see the buildings opposite. So I turned the clothes airer back into an elliptical and had a go on that for the first time in forever, and the first time since I got a heart rate monitor. It definitely doesn't get my heart going as hard as even an easy run.

I am still trying to work out "training zones". My resting heartrate is (and always has been) stupidly low - 42 or so. But when I am running it seems really high, always on the edge of No More! Stop! 165bpm is unsustainable effort, but an easy jog brings it up to the high 150s, and I have to really consciously slow down to make it drop. Recovery seems pretty quick. I don't really know if I have a question about this or if I am just obsession with my new toy. To the seasoned runners - should I just go on how I am feeling or should I be paying attention to the numbers?

Anyway, hailstones rattling of the windows now. I will only be going for a run if there is a serious break in the weather.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Wow! It's great reading about how well everyone is doing! Terrific runs for all!

I'm still plodding along at 2 mile and 5k runs, but doing more 5k now than 2. You'd think that there wouldn't be much difference, but when my knee was bugging me more, one mile flat out and then back was all that I wanted to push on it. My 5k follows the same route, but it's one mile flat, then 1/2 mile up the big hill, then down and back. It feels like it's twice as long as the 2 mile, but I'm doing it easily now. I feel like I have a good handle on the icing of the knee and the stretches and that the knee improving. I'm giving myself one more week of 5k's, but going to do four of them this week.

I'm also excited that I signed up for swimming lessons. My local county swim center is offering Advanced Adult swim lessons for 6 weeks from mid November through December.

I started doing some swimming before and/or after the water aerobics drop in class I've been attending. While I feel comfortable in the water and most of the strokes are coming back to me, I have little endurance, which is not suprisingly as it's been 25+ years since I've done more than splash. I'm hoping that the class will help me get good technique back as I continue to build my endurance. It'll also be fun and low impact cross training during the winter.

You should take up biking too and keep Kathleen company :)
  • likitisplit
    Not drizzle! The rain was bouncing and I couldn't see the buildings opposite. So I turned the clothes airer back into an elliptical and had a go on that for the first time in forever, and the first time since I got a heart rate monitor. It definitely doesn't get my heart going as hard as even an easy run.

I am still trying to work out "training zones". My resting heartrate is (and always has been) stupidly low - 42 or so. But when I am running it seems really high, always on the edge of No More! Stop! 165bpm is unsustainable effort, but an easy jog brings it up to the high 150s, and I have to really consciously slow down to make it drop. Recovery seems pretty quick. I don't really know if I have a question about this or if I am just obsession with my new toy. To the seasoned runners - should I just go on how I am feeling or should I be paying attention to the numbers?

Anyway, hailstones rattling of the windows now. I will only be going for a run if there is a serious break in the weather.

Yay for clearing off your elliptical!

I run by feel, so I'd say you should figure out what your "conversational pace" is and stick to that for awhile.

However, I'd definitely recommend the book "Running for Mortals" as it has a nice explanation about how to understand heart rate in the context of running. I'm not totally through it and hesitate to recommend as John Bingham recommends heel striking (!?!) for distance runners in another of his books.

Jack Daniels is the guy who literally "wrote the book" on heart rate training for runners, so check him out if you want to dig deeper.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Holy cow there's been a lot of action on here the past couple days. Welcome to our newest members!

I went for 2 mile trail run this morning. My first trail run, and on a route I've been afraid to run because it's all hills. It's my favorite hiking trail, and my goal is to eventually run the 5K route.

Today I set out to run 2 miles, and did so more easily than I expected. Somewhere along the way I apparently started to love running hills. Running down one steeper hill I remembered a comment of Varda's and shot my elbows out like chicken wings (it helped!).

It took me 25:56, which I'm pleasantly surprised by considering the difficulty of the trail.
  • likitisplit
    Holy cow there's been a lot of action on here the past couple days. Welcome to our newest members!

I went for 2 mile trail run this morning. My first trail run, and on a route I've been afraid to run because it's all hills. It's my favorite hiking trail, and my goal is to eventually run the 5K route.

Today I set out to run 2 miles, and did so more easily than I expected. Somewhere along the way I apparently started to love running hills. Running down one steeper hill I remembered a comment of Varda's and shot my elbows out like chicken wings (it helped!).

It took me 25:56, which I'm pleasantly surprised by considering the difficulty of the trail.

You are too awesome!!!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Jack Daniels is the guy who literally "wrote the book" on heart rate training for runners, so check him out if you want to dig deeper.

My wife bought his book "Daniel's Running Formula." I gotta read that soon.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Sup everyone...

Wow, new faces. Welcome!

Sorry I dont' check in as often as I should lol. Life...lol.

I am volunteering again for a HM. Not sure where they will put me, if they are putting me with the finish line crew or if they are going to put me with the water stops. I like volunteering for races now, sort of fun to see how it goes on behind the scenes. I don't know if you guys have read the water stop story on Runner's World, it is so funny.

Anyway, this is my final recovery week. Then next week I get down and serious again. I am going off road and two of my runs will be on trails. I am making the easy runs on the trails for the first two weeks, then will shift to the long runs on the trails. Means a longer drive to either the state park and some of the trails on the Off Road Series. I don't want to go into the trails not knowing them. Not like the pavement, I need to know where the jumps and the turns are for safety reasons.

I need to work more on speed now. So my long runs are shrinking slightly, and will top at 7 miles instead of 10. But the miles will shift, so it will even out at the end of the week.
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Welcome Solar! Sounds like you have a lot of wet weather running in your future...

Rduh - are you talking about the one where the guy who decides to run 10 miles without any water and he sees water everywhere and nearly dies on the hwy? If so, that was flipping hilarious!

Nice job Laura! I don t ever want to love hills - lol

I would love to read a book on running but between running and regular life, I have no free time!!!! Not that I'm complaining ;)
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    I would love to read a book on running but between running and regular life, I have no free time!!!! Not that I'm complaining ;)

Solution: is it available in audiobook to listen to while you run?
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Wow! It's great reading about how well everyone is doing! Terrific runs for all!

I'm still plodding along at 2 mile and 5k runs, but doing more 5k now than 2. You'd think that there wouldn't be much difference, but when my knee was bugging me more, one mile flat out and then back was all that I wanted to push on it. My 5k follows the same route, but it's one mile flat, then 1/2 mile up the big hill, then down and back. It feels like it's twice as long as the 2 mile, but I'm doing it easily now. I feel like I have a good handle on the icing of the knee and the stretches and that the knee improving. I'm giving myself one more week of 5k's, but going to do four of them this week.

I'm also excited that I signed up for swimming lessons. My local county swim center is offering Advanced Adult swim lessons for 6 weeks from mid November through December.

I started doing some swimming before and/or after the water aerobics drop in class I've been attending. While I feel comfortable in the water and most of the strokes are coming back to me, I have little endurance, which is not suprisingly as it's been 25+ years since I've done more than splash. I'm hoping that the class will help me get good technique back as I continue to build my endurance. It'll also be fun and low impact cross training during the winter.

<snort> Yep!

You beat me to it, Varda. I always notice "swimming" in posts. And biking.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member

Yay! More details on your trail run!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member

<snort> Yep!

You beat me to it, Varda. I always notice "swimming" in posts. And biking.

Hey I bought my first bike since I was a kid a month ago. It's Trek Lexa, an entry level roadbike. I've only been out on it a couple of times as it gets dark too soon for me to ride in the evenings unless and until I buy lights and reflectors. I'm hoping to have some weekends home so that I can get out on it a bit more, as I'm finding it a little scary to ride. I need more experience.

I am thinking about trying to do a Sprint Triathlon someday, maybe.

Oh, and as for my daily check in, I got in a 5k run last night. I ran easy. Next one I do, I'm using music and upping the speed. I don't thank that I need to be running as easy as I am any more.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member

That's great!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    11.12 miles on the bicycle yesterday, put me over 300 miles for the month including walking, running, and riding.
  • solardippo
    solardippo Posts: 54 Member
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the welcome. I did go out last night in the end. Dark and started raining half way, but I had had a big dinner so it felt fairly easy. Apparently my pace was my slowest since I started using Runtastic to track though, which I am hoping was just me watching for potholes and branches and stray junkies in my path in the dark.

I am jealous of those of you talking about biking and running trails. Since I moved house I have hardly been on my bike- Glasgow roads are not bike friendly (understatement) and I don't drive so am limited to running through places I can run to!

A beautiful blue sky day today for the first time in what feels like months! I had forgotten what it was like to see colour outside instead of rain.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    After I finished the 10-miler race on Sunday I grabbed my camera and started shooting pics of the marathon finishers until my wife crossed the finish line. My wife is in the last few photos of the set. Here's the set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timscreations/sets/72157637055191593/
  • PaytraB

Nice run! Sounds like a lot of fun. A trail run would be a lot of fun.
  • PaytraB
    Tim, those pictures are fantastic! Everyone looks so energetic and at ease. Awesome! Your wife looks so happy. What a great achievement. Congrats to both of you.
    Thanks for posting the pictures.