Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your race Varda!! My boss is running that one too.

Yeah, this type of weather is tough to dress for. Sunday it will also be pretty cold in the morning but warming up quick. But my race will be over quicker so I will dress for a typical 40° run. I'm going with a long-sleeve tight top with a t-shirt over that, shorts, and gloves.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Yeah, this type of weather is tough to dress for. Sunday it will also be pretty cold in the morning but warming up quick. But my race will be over quicker so I will dress for a typical 40° run. I'm going with a long-sleeve tight top with a t-shirt over that, shorts, and gloves.

I'm doing the tee over long sleeves with running tights, gloves and a baseball hat.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Good luck to both of you - hope you finish well :)
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I had 3 pages to read to catch up from when I was on here last. That's amazing!

Beth...how are you just joining us now? Welcome, welcome, welcome!

Varda...I'm going to be thinking about you tomorrow, cheering you on from Minnesota. Can't wait to hear about it!

I talked to my trainer today about a new running plan for myself. I'm a few weeks into Hal Higdon's 15K training, but I don't want to run that many miles on the treadmill, so I'm going to do shorter runs incorporating speed/interval training when I'm on the treadmill (using the Active 5K-to-10K app) and then longer runs when I can get outside (at a minimum one on the weekends when I can run in the daylight). The goal is to at least maintain the level I spent the spring/summer building up to, and then in the spring start working on increasing distance again. In the meantime the speed work will be good for me, and hopefully will make the treadmill more interesting breaking it into segments.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    When I start running tomorrow it will be 30. When I stop running it will be 48.

Is tomorrow a long run (I mean, come on, I'll probably be averaging a 14 minute mile) or a race?

Because the clothes I should wear for a 30 degree long run (Jacket, hat, tights) are very different than for 48 degree race (singlet, shorts)

Good luck!!! Will be cheering you on from Canada
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Just finished up week 1 of Run Double's 5K Improver program. I ran my fastest non race 5K today at a 12:28 pace without even pushing very hard. My race pace is 11:42. I am felling really good about this program. Well 13 more weeks to go before I'm done with this and start training for a my first half.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options

I'm doing the tee over long sleeves with running tights, gloves and a baseball hat.

Go Varda!!! I'm so excited for you! I'll be thinking of you and cheering you on from the soccer field! I think your clothing plan makes sense, good luck!
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options

I have heard of people layering an old shirt and stripping it off at some point during the race and tossing it aside to be picked up and donated to charity. (Hopefully, after being laundered!) Got any old shirts that you wouldn't miss too much?
  • bttrthanevr
    Options

Good luck, Tim and Varda!!!! :-)
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options

Good luck Tim! I'll be cheering you on virtually!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    I had 3 pages to read to catch up from when I was on here last. That's amazing!

Beth...how are you just joining us now? Welcome, welcome, welcome!

Varda...I'm going to be thinking about you tomorrow, cheering you on from Minnesota. Can't wait to hear about it!

I talked to my trainer today about a new running plan for myself. I'm a few weeks into Hal Higdon's 15K training, but I don't want to run that many miles on the treadmill, so I'm going to do shorter runs incorporating speed/interval training when I'm on the treadmill (using the Active 5K-to-10K app) and then longer runs when I can get outside (at a minimum one on the weekends when I can run in the daylight). The goal is to at least maintain the level I spent the spring/summer building up to, and then in the spring start working on increasing distance again. In the meantime the speed work will be good for me, and hopefully will make the treadmill more interesting breaking it into segments.

Sounds like a good plan, Laura!

I am starting a Hal Higdon HM Novice 1 plan...so hopefully by Dec 28th, my one year "fitness-versary", I will have run 13.1 miles. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by that thought at the moment! But excited about it too!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Welcome Beth!!! I'm doing a half in Jan and maybe another in May.

4 miles done tonight, averaged 13:23 pace according to my new Garmin. It was a birthday present, arrived yesterday, and I'm so excited to have it. Now I don't have to worry if my phone app is accurate or not!!

Thanks for the welcome! :-)
    I am asking Santa for a garmin! Keep me posted on how you like yours. I know I want one, but I don't really had a clue which one to get.

Welcome to the new people!!!! I picked my Garmin because it looked pretty lol - I got the third from top of the line because that's what I could afford. It's awesome because I watch my pace a fair amount, and the countdown timer occasionally and it pushes me to keep my pace steady or beat it. I still run with my GPS phone on my arm also, but my wrist is so much easier to look at and alert me to my intervals!

It's not super cold here yet, ran for the first time in the dark Wednesday, that was a bit harrowing!!!! Apparently you run faster when threat of death could be imminent!!!! Tomorrow I get a treat for all my hard work - compression running arm sleeves, so I can still wear my tank top and have my arms covered but not be too restricted (I get stressed when I wear layers and get hot, etc) - and they are pink!!!! I'm going to be quite the sight, neon green compression calf sleeves, neon pink arm sleeves and random colors in the middle ;)
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Welcome to the new people!!!! I picked my Garmin because it looked pretty lol - I got the third from top of the line because that's what I could afford. It's awesome because I watch my pace a fair amount, and the countdown timer occasionally and it pushes me to keep my pace steady or beat it. I still run with my GPS phone on my arm also, but my wrist is so much easier to look at and alert me to my intervals!

It's not super cold here yet, ran for the first time in the dark Wednesday, that was a bit harrowing!!!! Apparently you run faster when threat of death could be imminent!!!! Tomorrow I get a treat for all my hard work - compression running arm sleeves, so I can still wear my tank top and have my arms covered but not be too restricted (I get stressed when I wear layers and get hot, etc) - and they are pink!!!! I'm going to be quite the sight, neon green compression calf sleeves, neon pink arm sleeves and random colors in the middle ;)

I ran in the dark one morning and was SUPER slow. I was afraid I'd step in a pothole or trip over something. My friend told me she just carries a mini Maglite so I bought one today.

I am enjoying the visual of your outfit. It got cold here fast and I'm trying to figure out how to dress - I feel the same way as you about wearing layers & getting too hot. I bought a long sleeved running quarter zip pull-over from Target that's actually really comfortable while I run (it's got air vents) but it's starting to get too cold for just that.

Edit to add that I love my Garmin, but I also use my phone app too. I bought the Garmin with the intention of not having to carry my phone, until some people on here reminded me it might be nice to have it in case of emergency & I need to make a call. I bought the HRM too so I can also use it in the gym.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    My older running clothes are all black, grey and deep grape. My newer stuff looks like I handed my kids a box of highlighters and unleashed them on my closet.
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Thanks, Madmiss! I am also enjoying the mental picture your description of your gear makes! And fear is a great motivator for me too! I run faster to get home before the dark hits. I am going to have to face my fear of the dark or I won't make my goals. I think I might try my son's headlamp. (Won't that make a look!)

Varda, the last running top I bought was highlighter yellow! I want to glow in the dusk. I need new running clothes, tights especially. The few times I've worn them this season, they keep sliding down and I have to keep hitching them up. But the one thing I desperately need is a lightweight breathable jacket or pullover that sheds rain and sleet, but doesn't overheat me.

Laura, I'm headed to Target.com right after this!

As for training, my trainer timed me on 1/2 a mile of "ladder" sprints during my HIIT last night and extrapolated to a mile my pace was 8:49! There's hope for me yet! :-)
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    ran my first 6 mile long run today! 10:10 pace, i felt good it was a cool late morning fall afternoon .. madmiss-- congrats on your new garmin!..i bought a soleus awhile ago and absolutely love it compared to the arm phone thingy!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    My older running clothes are all black, grey and deep grape. My newer stuff looks like I handed my kids a box of highlighters and unleashed them on my closet.

Same here!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    ran my first 6 mile long run today! 10:10 pace, i felt good it was a cool late morning fall afternoon .. madmiss-- congrats on your new garmin!..i bought a soleus awhile ago and absolutely love it compared to the arm phone thingy!

Congrats on your first 6 miles. And wow that's fast!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I hadn't run since last Saturday so I went out with the goal to run as long as felt good, but hopefully somewhere between 4-5 miles. I stopped at 4.25 (in the parking lot of my favorite post-run convenience store). It was a pretty slow run (54:28), followed by my usual 1 mile cool-down walk. I never really did feel good physically (I was under-dressed for the weather) although mentally I was happy to get out for my run.