Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    The group I ride with on Thursday nights is usually split into a faster group and a more casual group. I always ride with the casual group. Last night because there were only a few of us, there was only one group. I kept up with the faster riders!

14.65 miles in 62 minutes!

Any interest in triathlons? (Or at least maybe you should consider duathlons.)

Kathleen : come on man. It's good stuff. All the cool kids are doing it. It just feels good. Here. Take a swig.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I can definitely see a duathlon in my future. I'm not much of a swimmer at all, so lots of work needed before I could attempt a tri!

That's the exact thing that most triathletes say. Just sayin'
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    The group I ride with on Thursday nights is usually split into a faster group and a more casual group. I always ride with the casual group. Last night because there were only a few of us, there was only one group. I kept up with the faster riders!

14.65 miles in 62 minutes!

Any interest in triathlons? (Or at least maybe you should consider duathlons.)

Kathleen : come on man. It's good stuff. All the cool kids are doing it. It just feels good. Here. Take a swig.

I gotta' push my passion, right? (No need to mention the extra costs and healing time involved.)
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    Weather here polar opposite of what madmiss had - it was 36 and overcast with a brisk wind on my run. Felt good during the actual run but my warm-up & cool-down walks I could have done without the wind. I plotted a new route ending at a convenience store about a mile from my house so I could stop and buy a Vitamin Water to drink on my cool down walk. I typically enjoy a long cool down walk but today it was just a bit too cool. Tough trainer workouts Wednesday, Thursday & Friday meant I was pretty sore, so I spent a full 25 minutes when I got home stretching & foam rolling.

After only doing 2 & 3 mile runs for the 4 weeks I was a little nervous about today's 4 mile run, but it went fine. It started feeling good at 3.2 miles. I don't usually check my pace while I run, but I did a couple times during the first two miles to make sure I was at my easy pace (approx 12:30). I finished 4 miles in 49:49 - 12:34, 12:27, 12:24, 12:24, so really happy with my consistency.

Oh, yes! You are amazing with consistency, AND you shaved a bit each time. That qualifies you for seasoned runner status, I think.
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    Well, a day late due to rain but first 5 mile run is done and what a gorgeous day to run...perfect fall weather! 5 miles @ 10:10...not bad for a long run!

"not bad"

[coughs violently]
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    So I'm *almost* excited.

I went to cycle class today and hit the treadmill after to work on transition. (Admittedly after a couple minutes of stretching, so I had a break).

I can ((almost)) run under a 9 min mile. I planned to run 800, walk 400, run 800 at that 8:57 pace. I decided to only walk 200 instead, then sprinted the last bit to get it under 9 min. I'll be excited when I can do a mile under 9 minutes with NO recovery, and especially when I can do it outside without the treadmill reminding me to keep my feet moving. And especially when I can do it 10K.

I am running with a friend outside on Tuesday - we have to figure out how far. I have no idea what pace, but I hope it's faster than I've done in the past. Our last run together was the end of August and we did 4 miles in 48 min. I'm interested to see what we can do this time. We might run my 5 mile course.

I didn't listen to any music on the run (I usually do). There was a pro soccer game on the TV. The best part was when the camera followed the shoulders of one of the players running down the field. I pretended I was running with him. I decided that instead of music, I need to watch videos of running - maybe Virtual 5K or VIrtual 10K or something.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    So I'm *almost* excited.

I went to cycle class today and hit the treadmill after to work on transition. (Admittedly after a couple minutes of stretching, so I had a break).

I can ((almost)) run under a 9 min mile. I planned to run 800, walk 400, run 800 at that 8:57 pace. I decided to only walk 200 instead, then sprinted the last bit to get it under 9 min. I'll be excited when I can do a mile under 9 minutes with NO recovery, and especially when I can do it outside without the treadmill reminding me to keep my feet moving. And especially when I can do it 10K.

I am running with a friend outside on Tuesday - we have to figure out how far. I have no idea what pace, but I hope it's faster than I've done in the past. Our last run together was the end of August and we did 4 miles in 48 min. I'm interested to see what we can do this time. We might run my 5 mile course.

I didn't listen to any music on the run (I usually do). There was a pro soccer game on the TV. The best part was when the camera followed the shoulders of one of the players running down the field. I pretended I was running with him. I decided that instead of music, I need to watch videos of running - maybe Virtual 5K or VIrtual 10K or something.

I can totally see how that would work for you, KP. Maybe those VR glasses showing you passing slower runners...
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Being the weekend, I went out for a longer workout.
    Not having run 5K straight since starting intervals, I first ran 5k (39:27!! Under 40 minutes!) and then did intervals, during which time I ran another 3.5K in total. Today I ran 8.5K. That's a very good day for me.

That's awesome! I like how you combined two separate running workouts for one amazing workout.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    So I'm *almost* excited.

I can totally see how that would work for you, KP. Maybe those VR glasses showing you passing slower runners...

Oh VR glasses would be awesome - I'm picturing a VR race environment for 5K, 10K, half, full. You could track your progress against the same set of runners in each distance. Think how sweet to finally pass a runner who on Day 1 left you in her dust. That would make running on the treadmill interesting.

Edit to add a shout out to Kathleen for a great workout. I got so excited about the potential of VR glasses that I spaced out the 9 minute mile. Awesomeness!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I did 9 miles this morning at a 9:33 overall pace. This matches my longest pre-injury run but I was much faster this time. The hip I injured didn't hurt at all but the other hip is getting a little sore. The DR told me before that was not unusual as my center of gravity shifts due to the exercises she has me doing to bring my body back in balance. I am ready for my 10-mile race next week for sure!!
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    Oh VR glasses would be awesome - I'm picturing a VR race environment for 5K, 10K, half, full. You could track your progress against the same set of runners in each distance. Think how sweet to finally pass a runner who on Day 1 left you in her dust. That would make running on the treadmill interesting.

Edit to add a shout out to Kathleen for a great workout. I got so excited about the potential of VR glasses that I spaced out the 9 minute mile. Awesomeness!

I think someone should make a product like this. Video game, essentially. I totally need it!

Thanks on my mile. :) (But I'm worried about the distance time...)
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Being the weekend, I went out for a longer workout.
    Not having run 5K straight since starting intervals, I first ran 5k (39:27!! Under 40 minutes!) and then did intervals, during which time I ran another 3.5K in total. Today I ran 8.5K. That's a very good day for me.

Great Day!
    So I'm *almost* excited.

Great run Kathleen and a terrific time!

Love the VR idea Laura! I'm hating treadmill running, the two times I did it this month, and only planning to do it when I don't have another choice that day. Doing it as part of a game or with VR could make it much more bearable.
    I did 9 miles this morning at a 9:33 overall pace. This matches my longest pre-injury run but I was much faster this time. The hip I injured didn't hurt at all but the other hip is getting a little sore. The DR told me before that was not unusual as my center of gravity shifts due to the exercises she has me doing to bring my body back in balance. I am ready for my 10-mile race next week for sure!!

All good news Tim! Good luck with the race next week!

On Friday I went to a running store that I had just discovered. It's closer than any of the ones I've been to before, about a 15 to 20 minute drive. They had me buy SUPERfeet orange to replace the interior pads in my running shoes. They think that I'm over-pronating on my right leg and causing the knee pain that way. I followed their suggestion of a short 2 mile run on Friday and then staying in my running shoes the rest of the day and then a bit longer run today with them. It's early yet, but it seems to be working. I'm also running short and slow, so that could be another factor. Plus, I'm also doing my assigned stretches daily and iced my knee very well on Friday. Today it was three hours between when I finished my run and when I got back home, so didn't ice it today, but my knee feels better than it has for quite a while. Yeah!
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Friday evening I ran my second 5k. I finished in 39:16. It was a local small town race. There were only a little over 200 runners, 75 of which were kids from the local elementary school's running club. It's great that the kids are out running this, but gotta say it was frustrating at the same time. There were a couple times I almost ran over a kid when they suddenly stopped running right in front of me. They haven't learned to pace themselves yet, so it's all out running and then stop to walk. At least I cleared most of the kids after the first mile. I was rather surprised the city didn't shut down the handful of streets for an hour. I was really hoping to get a better time as this course was completely flat, but not only was I dodging kids, but I was dodging cars as well. I also had a lesson learned with the small town event. Don't remove the pull tag from your race bib. At my fist one it was used as a gear check so I removed it thinking it wasn't necessary. I'm not going to get an official time now, since that's how they record the times. When you cross the finish line, they pull the tab off and write down your time. Even though it was frustrating I still had fun. My best friend came to cheer me on and I could hear my girls yelling "Go Mommie!!" as I was nearing the finish line.

Enough rambling, I started week 6 of my 10k training plan with a 2.5 mile run. I remembered my knit gloves as it was only 41 degrees this morning. By the time I hit 2 miles I had to take them off as my hands were hot. Looks like this is going to be a little bit of a learning curve to figure out how best to dress as the temperatures start to drop.

The best part of my weekend was taking my sister to a running store to get fitted for running shoes. She is wanting to get started running again, last time she went running was probably about 14-15 years ago. I learn so much from everyone here in these groups, so since she is on MFP I recommended that she joint the C25K group.. Unfortunately she lives over an hour away, so running with her won't happen very often, but I'm thrilled she's picking this up!
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Congrats Rindy on your second 5k. Perhaps you can suggest to whomever sponsored the race that they close the streets next time, especially with that many children running.

My first all running 5k is Tuesday.

I've decided on the One Hour Runner program, it's 3 days a week and lasts 10 weeks, I feel like that is a good pace for me. The first 3 weeks are 3 30 minute runs, I'm on week 2 of that.

I think I'm going to run another 5k on November 17. It's the hot chocolate 5k that seems to trot around the country. I've also decided to run my first 10k on New Years Day. It feels nice to be completing something on New Years Day rather than starting.
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    Congrats Rindy on your second 5k. Perhaps you can suggest to whomever sponsored the race that they close the streets next time, especially with that many children running.

I've decided on the One Hour Runner program, it's 3 days a week and lasts 10 weeks, I feel like that is a good pace for me. The first 3 weeks are 3 30 minute runs, I'm on week 2 of that.

I think I'm going to run another 5k on November 17. It's the hot chocolate 5k that seems to trot around the country. I've also decided to run my first 10k on New Years Day. It feels nice to be completing something on New Years Day rather than starting.

That's a neat idea to complete rather than start somethng on Jan 1.

Jan 2 is my 1yr running anniversary. I need to think of something special to do that day. Maybe W1D1 all over again, but with a spin on it.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options

Jan 2 is my 1yr running anniversary. I need to think of something special to do that day. Maybe W1D1 all over again, but with a spin on it.

Maybe run it backwards, I would say on your hands, but that won't do.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I got off work early on Friday with plans to drop by the house, grab my running gear and head to the National Park before the rain hit. Unfortunately, I locked myself out of the house, so I went shopping instead!

Saturday, I finally made it to the park. Made 10.15 miles on the bicycle and followed up with 4.01 on the feet! It was chilly, but nice. The fall colors are beautiful!

10-19-2013_zps8b0b511f.jpg

Edit: Spent most of the day Sunday walking but didn't track the distance. (Craft Fair)
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    WOW I am constantly amazed with everyone's progress in here!

I had planned to back to W4 after my lay off but being stupid, forgot to change the day 3 run on my calendar so went out and ran 4.5miles instead of 4miles so technically, I haven't dropped back to week 4 at all, I've come back in at week 5 but no matter! The run went quite well, overall time of 51.41mins giving 11.32min mile average which given my lack of proper running for the past few weeks is ok - not great, but ok!

Just to add to my frustration at interruptions to my running plans, I've got eye surgery tomorrow so not sure how that will affect things plus my darned chest infection is threatening a comeback. I can't wait until I have a month or two of clear runs without any interruptions to my schedule ... maybe I'm expecting too much lol
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    So proud of everyone!!!! You all sound like you are having great runs and everyone is doing so well lately!!!! I want to give this virtual room a big hug!!!!

PB for me tonight, even if it is slow compared to most of you guys, I'm still so amazed that I'm doing this at all! 4.78 miles in 1 hr 55secs ;) 13.23 (including warmup), 12:46, 12:22, 12:44, and 9:40 for the last bit (includes a 1 minute recovery walk every 18 minutes also) I always seem to find a good rhythm in the middle - not sure why, but I'll take it! Can't wait till next week when it starts getting serious!!! 22, 25 and 30 minute intervals instead of 18 ;) small potatoes, but today it was 7.8 km, that's almost a 10k!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Run the walk, sprint the runs and compare distances?
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Glad to see everyone is doing so well. You guys are keeping me motivated. I did a 5K run today. I got caught in the rain and it was rather windy, but made it through. I am still trying to find my rhythm again. It just hasn't been the same since a sore ankle put my half marathon training on hold. Now with no half marathons in the near future, I decided to just focus on getting speed and wait until next year to start a half marathon training program.