Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    4 miles today, "easy" pace. First run since my 7.5 Sunday, and it felt good, no leftover soreness, etc.

Nice!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Oooophhh......today was the worst run I've ever had. Got a stitch in my side and ended up just walking the last 2K. I'm going to kick butt on Saturday to make up for this (I hope). Guess a day like this happens once in awhile.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Oooophhh......today was the worst run I've ever had. Got a stitch in my side and ended up just walking the last 2K. I'm going to kick butt on Saturday to make up for this (I hope). Guess a day like this happens once in awhile.

I guess it does - I know I've certainly had a few where I just couldn't breathe right, my feet were flapping randomly and it all just seemed like toooooooo much effort to do even a couple of miles. Usually means the next one will feel fantastic though :)
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I ran 4.5 miles on Monday and felt great. I could have run further, but I don't want to push it too much and then pay for it later. Yesterday I ran 2 miles and was ready to drop. It was 48 and very windy. The wind was making my eyes water, which was rather annoying. Like Joe, I need to wear some gloves next time. My hands were freezing! I carry my phone when I run as it tracks my distance, so pulling my sleeves down over my hands doesn't really work. I should get an arm band for my phone, but need to wait until I get a new phone in another week or so. I have a Galaxy S2 and that's pretty big, the S4 is even bigger. Pretty soon cell phones will be the size of mini tablets. :smile: Thinking about jumping ship and and getting the iPhone 5s.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I ran today and it was a struggle, I did well on pace and time, but my shins started feeling tight towards the end and my mind wandered to terrible places (why am I doing this to myself places). It was my best 5k time and my furthest run, I ate cream of wheat this morning so I wonder if that had something to do with it. I usually eat something little before running. I was supposed to work at 7 am, but I'm not needed until 11 am, so the run was unplanned after breakfast. I also pushed myself out of my comfort zone a bit, I try to really challenge myself during one of my runs each week. We'll see how the next one goes.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I ran 4.5 miles on Monday and felt great. I could have run further, but I don't want to push it too much and then pay for it later. Yesterday I ran 2 miles and was ready to drop. It was 48 and very windy. The wind was making my eyes water, which was rather annoying. Like Joe, I need to wear some gloves next time. My hands were freezing! I carry my phone when I run as it tracks my distance, so pulling my sleeves down over my hands doesn't really work. I should get an arm band for my phone, but need to wait until I get a new phone in another week or so. I have a Galaxy S2 and that's pretty big, the S4 is even bigger. Pretty soon cell phones will be the size of mini tablets. :smile: Thinking about jumping ship and and getting the iPhone 5s.
    I've found I really don't like armbands. I have a pouch that goes around my waist that can stretch and expand to fit my phone. Most of the time I carry the phone, but like having the pouch available. Great about the 4.5 mile run!
  • btsinmd
    Options
    I ran today and it was a struggle, I did well on pace and time, but my shins started feeling tight towards the end and my mind wandered to terrible places (why am I doing this to myself places). It was my best 5k time and my furthest run, I ate cream of wheat this morning so I wonder if that had something to do with it. I usually eat something little before running. I was supposed to work at 7 am, but I'm not needed until 11 am, so the run was unplanned after breakfast. I also pushed myself out of my comfort zone a bit, I try to really challenge myself during one of my runs each week. We'll see how the next one goes.
    Glad that you finished the run despite what your mind was telling you. Bad runs happen. Your next one will probably be great.
  • btsinmd
    Options
    Got out and ran 5k last night. I took it slow and easy. Fells had a good time. I finished while still feeling that I could continue. Got a nice cool down walk home and then did my stretches, and then stupidly forgot to ice my knee and leg to finish my planned sequence of run, stretch, ice. This morning my entire right leg said "Ow!". It's not my knee or IT band hurting, just the all the leg muscles saying that they didn't want to move. Feeling very stupid now.

Today is my rest day, so all I'll do is 5 or 10 easy minutes on my exercise bike and then do all my stretches. I'm feeling pretty positive about the future though.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the Martin Yelling cadence intervals Audiofuel recording and am really feeling a difference. Also, that web site with the article on compression socks - there's another couple of articles about what in running is active and what is passive or reflexive.

He makes the point that getting your knee high doesn't help your running because it's reflexive. If you extend your hip back, your knee will automatically go higher and you'll be more efficient (and faster). Fascinating. And helpful. Really breaks down the total body aspect of running.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I headed out from work to the path that runs close by and ended up running around the local community college. There is an outdoor learning area with gardens that has a gravel path going through it. Pretty! They were setting up for a Zombie Run taking place today. I'd do that one, but today is my group bike ride with Girls Bike Bentonville and we are quickly running out of days where we have enough daylight to ride after work! :-(

I had decided I'd run at least 30 minutes and see how I felt after that. Kept pushing on until I had run 1 hour. My knees and those pesky sore spots on my feet were complaining, but the run felt good otherwise. Soaked my feet in epsom salt afterward and they felt much better!

10-16-2013_zpsb6d3aabe.jpg

My National Park should be back open today!!!! YAY!!!

http://www.nps.gov/peri/index.htm
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I headed out from work to the path that runs close by and ended up running around the local community college. There is an outdoor learning area with gardens that has a gravel path going through it. Pretty! They were setting up for a Zombie Run taking place today. I'd do that one, but today is my group bike ride with Girls Bike Bentonville and we are quickly running out of days where we have enough daylight to ride after work! :-(

I had decided I'd run at least 30 minutes and see how I felt after that. Kept pushing on until I had run 1 hour. My knees and those pesky sore spots on my feet were complaining, but the run felt good otherwise. Soaked my feet in epsom salt afterward and they felt much better!

Do you still find it absolutely amazing that you can run for an hour? I've still got that to come but I'm still dazzled with the idea that 3.1miles is no longer scarey lol

Such good pace too, you're doing fantastic :)
  • likitisplit
    Options

Oh no!!! You couldn't do a 5k because you have a bike ride... These are the tradeoffs that excellence is made from :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Do you still find it absolutely amazing that you can run for an hour? I've still got that to come but I'm still dazzled with the idea that 3.1miles is no longer scarey lol

Such good pace too, you're doing fantastic :)

I find it amazing that I can run at all and absolutely incredibly amazing that I want to run!
    Oh no!!! You couldn't do a 5k because you have a bike ride... These are the tradeoffs that excellence is made from :)

:heart:

Another reason I love this group! You guys just get me!
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    But wait...Did you make it to the bike ride? (Or were you running at that *gulp* fast pace?)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    But wait...Did you make it to the bike ride? (Or were you running at that *gulp* fast pace?)

I think she did a 10k with 10 minute miles, the little rocket.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options

I think she did a 10k with 10 minute miles, the little rocket.

Not quite 10k!

The run was yesterday, the bike ride is later today!
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    5lxlwx.jpg

Quick question for the more experienced runners..

My first 5 mile is tomorrow and this is the elevation profile...is it too hilly and I should just run the track...or go for it.. it's a long run so pace will be around 11:10.

thanks
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    5lxlwx.jpg

My first 5 mile is tomorrow and this is the elevation profile...is it too hilly and I should just run the track...or go for it.. it's a long run so pace will be around 11:10.

thanks

I'd say go for it, but I kind of like running hills! You might surprise yourself!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    5lxlwx.jpg

thanks

That looks like a lot of fun to me. You might end up doing it a bit slower than your recommended pace, but it looks a lot more engaging than a track. But I like hills too.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    That looks like a lot of fun to me. You might end up doing it a bit slower than your recommended pace, but it looks a lot more engaging than a track. But I like hills too.

+1

I say go for it!