Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Fells and I got out just as the sun was rising this morning. I only wanted to run 5 miles, but the app never told me that I had gone halfway. I know 1.5 exactly, so as I was running, I was thinking that maybe it really should have gone off. I started walking so that I could get the phone out of my waist pack, looked at the display, and I had run 3 miles, so I just turned and ran back. I did start walking a little before where I had started, so I judge that I ran about 5.5 miles. Long run done for the weekend!

Then I took the two dogs to a local DogFest where we had agreed to do a flyball demo. I hauled the their small (2 foot tall) expen, my lunch, some water w/bowl, and they on their leashes for quite a distance until I got to where the demo was. We did two demonstrations at 12 and 2 running flyball and then challenging the kids in the audience to race the dogs. Fells enjoyed it and both demos went well, despite the heat.

Before and between them, each dog had a chance to walk around with me and look at the booths. I got a free chiropractic evaluation and he showed me that I was 7lb heavier on my right side than on my left and that my hips, waist, and shoulders reflected the imbalance. He indicated that the intermittent IT band and knee issue on my right leg is directly related. He suggested two names of chiropractors in my area, since he and the DogFest were quite a ways out of it. I really don't want to spend the time and money, but it might be a good idea to check one of them out.

I am loving reading everyone's stories (and times) - you all are very fast!!! I'm still in the 12-13 minute/mile range... but not for long!

btsinmd > I have the world's stupidest question. What do you do when you are running with Fells and he has to, um, stop and go to the bathroom? Do you stop? I was going to borrow my neighbors German shepherds to take them for a run but I don't want to stop in the middle. :) I mean, I wouldn't want to run with a bag of "stuff" :) it's these things that keep me up at night. lol
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    ^^^ I want to know this too. I want to borrow a neighbor's dog for some of my Tuesday runs.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Wow there are a lot of posts today - too many to comment on all of them. Congrats on the great runs! Good luck on the upcoming half marathons!

I also ran in the dark with a cold wind this morning. Could not face the treadmill and was going to just totally blow off my run for the first time since I started C25K back in May. Was pretty nervous about telling my trainer, but was willing to risk his disappointment in me. I was practicing telling him in my head. Yeah...I couldn't do it, but I decided I was going to run outside even though it was pitch black out, so I hauled my butt out of bed, put on a reflective t-shirt to try to make myself at least marginally visible, and went out. I live on the edge of town shortly before the street lights end, so I was looping back & forth on cross streets between my road & a major road 2 blocks over trying to stay in lower traffic areas. Down one street & back, over to the next street, down that street & back, over to the next street, etc., for 3 miles. They were pretty slow miles (12:52, 12:50, 12:37) but I was a little nervous about barely being able to see the actual road and that was the pace that felt right.

I did see a couple people running with headlamps. Pretty sure that needs to be my next investment.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Hey hey hey!

Guess what is this weekend! Half marathon! Tonight is a 2 mile jitters run! Getting nervous!

You don't need the luck but good luck anyway! You are awesome and an inspiration and I'll be thinking of you!!!!!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    btsinmd > I have the world's stupidest question. What do you do when you are running with Fells and he has to, um, stop and go to the bathroom? Do you stop? I was going to borrow my neighbors German shepherds to take them for a run but I don't want to stop in the middle. :) I mean, I wouldn't want to run with a bag of "stuff" :) it's these things that keep me up at night. lol
    Fells, well all my dogs (which at this point is just Fells and Colin, but I was up to 4 at one time), are very regular unless they're sick.
    Non-exercise day, every week day, since they were old enough to hold it:
    1) I get up, the dogs go out and pee, I feed them, the dogs go out and poop. I go to work.
    2) Pet sitter comes in at noon. Dogs pee
    3) I come home from work. Dogs go out and pee. I feed them. Dogs go out and poop.
    4) Before bed dogs go out and pee
    Weekend, home or at dog events
    1) the same as 1) on week days
    if dogs are in and out, running at a dog event, or whatever, they will drink a lot of water and pee off and on all day. They will poop at about 1 pm if active all day. They may do it again just before bed, if so they won't the next morning.

So, basically, I know their schedule. For a morning run or evening run right after work, I put the dogs out, bring them in and feed them even one treat and send them out again and then, on the run. Fells will pee immediately when leaving the front door and then not pee until the cool down walk and will not poop at all. For a weekend run, it's safe any time in the morning until about noon and then safe again after he's gone the second time.

If I choose to run with Colin, I can't run more than 15 minutes before we need to start walking so that he can pee. I don't know why, but he just can't manage running outside without stopping to pee, often. He starts trying to stop at about 10 minutes and by 15 he'll do anything, even wrap his leash around a pole, bush, or tree, so that he can stop and pee. We fought over it while I was doing C25K and he won. This is why I always run with Fells now and since Fells will turn 3 years old on Saturday, I think that we will likely have years of running together. Colin will be 10 in December.

Probably way TMI, but you asked. :happy:
  • ShannonKN
    ShannonKN Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Awesome updates, all! Good luck to those of you with races this weekend!

Btsinmd already gave a great answer, but I want to toss in my 2 cents. My dogs are on a schedule, but they will still poop unexpectedly -- particularly the big one in my profile pic, and especially while running. When I take her with me, I always carry 2 poop bags just in case and make sure to run in an area where I can drop a bag into an accessible trashcan rather than running any real mileage carrying it. The second bag is there for my own peace of mind so that I can throw out the first bag without fearing that she'll have an unexpected extra stop. Layla (the dog) has some irritating food allergies that make these precautions worthwhile, though typically overkill.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Did a 3-mile run last night with the usual group. I ran at a 9:00 pace - trying to get a feel for that pace for my 10-mile race on the 27th. I'd like to finish that race in 90 minutes (or less). My new shoes I got for short runs and speedwork (Puma Mobium) are killing my calves but I love how the shoes feel. The drop is lower than all my other shoes so it will take some getting used to. They really force you into a proper footstrike, thus the extra work on the calves.

Saturday will be a 7-mile slow run.
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I got 5 miles in last night, and it was wonderful! That's the furthest I've run since I don't know when. Certainly the furthest in at least seven years. I have done half marathons over the past few years but they were always as a walking event and not a run at all. I'll try to repeat on Saturday and then that will be my longest run until my 10k on the 20th.

On a side note I'm sorry I'm not here more often but our internet is still acting wonky. My computer is back online but for some reason our internet will cut out for hours at a time. Very frustrating!
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hey hey hey!

Guess what is this weekend! Half marathon! Tonight is a 2 mile jitters run! Getting nervous!

Best of luck to you!

I was supposed to do a 2 mile run tonight and wasn't paying attention and ended up with 2.5 miles. Week 4 done, I'm at the half way point with my 10k training plan.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Hey hey hey!

Have a great time!
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I did see a couple people running with headlamps. Pretty sure that needs to be my next investment.

I just noticed headlamps this last week, too.
  • KathleenKP
    Options
    Hey hey hey!

Hope you are having sweet dreams right now, but good luck and have a great time!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bts > your response was great!!!! Schedule, check. I asked my neighbors if their dogs were on a schedule, they laughed at me ;)

Wk 2 done! Ran 4.07 in 51 mins with WU averaging 12.xx each mile, with the last mile being 12.21 !!!! Very happy, getting quicker from last weeks 13.xx during the last mile of my first 5k. I bought myself a garmin watch as a present for my progress and spent most of the run trying to keep my pace the same or better ;) I love trying to beat myself each time I go out! It's very sad that I now run with 2 gps's one in watch, one in phone, but hey, if it makes me faster and a better runner then I'm all for it! Feel so great! Longest distance ever for me ;)
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I was going to do 7 miles today but did 8 instead. Felt pretty good and averaged a 9:50 pace. I don't know if I really need to taper much for my 10-mile race on the 27th, but I hope to do 8 or 9 miles next weekend.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I did a 5K race this morning with a friend, at her pace. She unfortunately hasn't been training (she starts but doesn't stick with it) but still she knocked 2 minutes off her PR, so that was awesome. She told me during the race I could go ahead and I told her I didn't want to, which was true. For me this was about supporting & encouraging her, and she rocked it. But when I saw how fast we finished (42 minutes and again she hasn't been running) I had a wee bitty pang wondering how fast I could have done it on my own. At no point during the race was I even breathing hard so I think this could have been my sub-35 race. But that's okay because it wasn't about me.

Had some errands to run so got home a few hours later & went for my own 3 mile run then, which was my scheduled run (W2D3 of HH 15K). I actually had a really good time compared to my recent 3 mile runs (36:59), especially considering my legs were awfully tired by the halfway point. They still hurt from my Thursday night training session so this might have been all kinds of stupid.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Today I ran an interval training run of 6x 10 minutes run, with walk sessions in between ranging from 1-5 minutes, on my hilly route.
    I felt really good throughout the run and ran at a quicker pace than normal (1.3Km/10 run). The sun was shining and the air was cool. It's wonderful to run outdoors at this time of year.

I remember the first time I ran this route. I stopped running twice going up the first hill and more than that at the second hill. It tired me out. Now, I run the entire distance of both hills and beyond (which is flat, then downhill) without stopping. It's such a good feeling to conquer those hills each time I run them.

ETA: I have new shoes (ASICS GT-2000 Lightning). I've worn out my first pair of running shoes! I celebrated by buying new socks and a running jacket for the inclement weather coming up.
  • jessiekanga
    Options
    I did a 5K race this morning with a friend, at her pace. She unfortunately hasn't been training (she starts but doesn't stick with it) but still she knocked 2 minutes off her PR, so that was awesome. She told me during the race I could go ahead and I told her I didn't want to, which was true. For me this was about supporting & encouraging her, and she rocked it. But when I saw how fast we finished (42 minutes and again she hasn't been running) I had a wee bitty pang wondering how fast I could have done it on my own. At no point during the race was I even breathing hard so I think this could have been my sub-35 race. But that's okay because it wasn't about me.

Had some errands to run so got home a few hours later & went for my own 3 mile run then, which was my scheduled run (W2D3 of HH 15K). I actually had a really good time compared to my recent 3 mile runs (36:59), especially considering my legs were awfully tired by the halfway point. They still hurt from my Thursday night training session so this might have been all kinds of stupid.

You are all kinds of awesome! Hope your body feels okay tomorrow!
  • KathleenKP
    Options

Do you think she will be inspired to train more consistently now?

There will be more 5Ks to run and get that time. And you will. ( 'Though I'd have mourned the "not knowing".)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Got a good run in yesterday after the rain moved through. I love the cooler temps! I ran a different route than I'm used to and had to walk a couple of times and stopped for water after about 4 miles. (Probably shouldn't have- got a side stitch after that, but kept going.) Still ended up with a pretty good pace, though!

10-12-13_zpsd5e7b9a7.jpg
  • jessiekanga
    Options
    Becky - how'd the half go? How are you?

Today was 7.5 miles up towards the castle. I did need a walk break for a spell before the top. I'll get there! Ran all but .6.