Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    But wait...Did you make it to the bike ride? (Or were you running at that *gulp* fast pace?)

the little rocket.

an understatement

I :heart: you guys!

The group I ride with on Thursday nights is usually split into a faster group and a more casual group. I always ride with the casual group. Last night because there were only a few of us, there was only one group. I kept up with the faster riders!

14.65 miles in 62 minutes!

Going to try to get a run in at my National Park today after work, if the rain will hold off!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Bill Rodgers was there?!? THE Bill Rodgers. Oh man.

Yep. He's in the area for the Fast Pace Race in Cumming. He'll be a guest speaker there tonight for a dinner they are hosting. Wish I could have done that race - it really is a fast 5K course. I need a good Peachtree qualifier.

Oh, man. I'd be in the "H" wave. Which is pretty awesome that I even HAVE a Peachtree qualifying time.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Oh, man. I'd be in the "H" wave. Which is pretty awesome that I even HAVE a Peachtree qualifying time.

I think I will do the Locomotive 5K in Kennesaw (February). It's the fastest Peachtree qualifier, so they say. I think I could be in "B" wave based on this year's Peachtree result but I would love to be in "A." I'll have to wait and see the new time standards when they come out.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I think I will do the Locomotive 5K in Kennesaw (February). It's the fastest Peachtree qualifier, so they say. I think I could be in "B" wave based on this year's Peachtree result but I would love to be in "A." I'll have to wait and see the new time standards when they come out.

Oh la la, Tim!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for the kick in the pants to do this thing, and the comments ;) I'll let you know how the weekend goes starting with tomorrow!!!! Think wings and beer the night before make a good pre-run diet? We'll find out as I don't eat anything in the am's before I run...
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for the kick in the pants to do this thing, and the comments ;) I'll let you know how the weekend goes starting with tomorrow!!!! Think wings and beer the night before make a good pre-run diet? We'll find out as I don't eat anything in the am's before I run...

That sounds like an awesome source of protein and carbs. I drink pedialyte before morning runs to hydrate.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    The group I ride with on Thursday nights is usually split into a faster group and a more casual group. I always ride with the casual group. Last night because there were only a few of us, there was only one group. I kept up with the faster riders!

Any interest in triathlons? (Or at least maybe you should consider duathlons.)
  • likitisplit
    Options

Kathleen : come on man. It's good stuff. All the cool kids are doing it. It just feels good. Here. Take a swig.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Kathleen : come on man. It's good stuff. All the cool kids are doing it. It just feels good. Here. Take a swig.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I can definitely see a duathlon in my future. I'm not much of a swimmer at all, so lots of work needed before I could attempt a tri!
  • madmiss
    Options
    We'll my awesome plan crashed and burned. Set alarm, got up, got ready, got out the door, got to the bank early and had to wait half an hour for them to open before I headed to my race, and then... Car wouldn't re-start. Apparently my battery was going ;( lovely bystander pushed me out of the drive thru lane, (I owe her a lot!!!) rescue attempt from husband ensued, then a disappointing trip home with no super awesome costume themed free run race # for my collection. ;(((((

So, then it was 81 degrees and 70% humidity, so I naturally went out and did my usual Saturday morning run, 4.25miles or something like that... Went out strong because I was mad, finished weak (I blame the humidity) but a run is a run and it felt pretty good! So now tomorrow there is still the crab crawl race that I may yet do depending on how the day unfolds.... ;)

All in all I guess the universe was telling me I really didn't want to run that race this morning! I'm a firm believer in everything happens for a reason, so whatever it is I'm sure it was worth me not making it there.... Just some food for thought.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    We'll my awesome plan crashed and burned. Set alarm, got up, got ready, got out the door, got to the bank early and had to wait half an hour for them to open before I headed to my race, and then... Car wouldn't re-start. Apparently my battery was going ;( lovely bystander pushed me out of the drive thru lane, (I owe her a lot!!!) rescue attempt from husband ensued, then a disappointing trip home with no super awesome costume themed free run race # for my collection. ;(((((

So, then it was 81 degrees and 70% humidity, so I naturally went out and did my usual Saturday morning run, 4.25miles or something like that... Went out strong because I was mad, finished weak (I blame the humidity) but a run is a run and it felt pretty good! So now tomorrow there is still the crab crawl race that I may yet do depending on how the day unfolds.... ;)

All in all I guess the universe was telling me I really didn't want to run that race this morning! I'm a firm believer in everything happens for a reason, so whatever it is I'm sure it was worth me not making it there.... Just some food for thought.

Disappointing, but you've got an awesome attitude about it. I also believe things turn out the way they're supposed to if you let them, but it would be nice if a little bird could whisper in your ear what that reason was, wouldn't it?
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Weather here polar opposite of what madmiss had - it was 36 and overcast with a brisk wind on my run. Felt good during the actual run but my warm-up & cool-down walks I could have done without the wind. I plotted a new route ending at a convenience store about a mile from my house so I could stop and buy a Vitamin Water to drink on my cool down walk. I typically enjoy a long cool down walk but today it was just a bit too cool. Tough trainer workouts Wednesday, Thursday & Friday meant I was pretty sore, so I spent a full 25 minutes when I got home stretching & foam rolling.

After only doing 2 & 3 mile runs for the 4 weeks I was a little nervous about today's 4 mile run, but it went fine. It started feeling good at 3.2 miles. I don't usually check my pace while I run, but I did a couple times during the first two miles to make sure I was at my easy pace (approx 12:30). I finished 4 miles in 49:49 - 12:34, 12:27, 12:24, 12:24, so really happy with my consistency.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    Well, a day late due to rain but first 5 mile run is done and what a gorgeous day to run...perfect fall weather! 5 miles @ 10:10...not bad for a long run!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Well, a day late due to rain but first 5 mile run is done and what a gorgeous day to run...perfect fall weather! 5 miles @ 10:10...not bad for a long run!

That's an awesome pace! I'm not even close to that on my short runs.
  • madmiss
    Options

Disappointing, but you've got an awesome attitude about it. I also believe things turn out the way they're supposed to if you let them, but it would be nice if a little bird could whisper in your ear what that reason was, wouldn't it?

Yes, I would love a little bird! Would save me a lot of stress!!!
    Weather here polar opposite of what madmiss had - it was 36 and overcast with a brisk wind on my run. Felt good during the actual run but my warm-up & cool-down walks I could have done without the wind. I plotted a new route ending at a convenience store about a mile from my house so I could stop and buy a Vitamin Water to drink on my cool down walk. I typically enjoy a long cool down walk but today it was just a bit too cool. Tough trainer workouts Wednesday, Thursday & Friday meant I was pretty sore, so I spent a full 25 minutes when I got home stretching & foam rolling.

After only doing 2 & 3 mile runs for the 4 weeks I was a little nervous about today's 4 mile run, but it went fine. It started feeling good at 3.2 miles. I don't usually check my pace while I run, but I did a couple times during the first two miles to make sure I was at my easy pace (approx 12:30). I finished 4 miles in 49:49 - 12:34, 12:27, 12:24, 12:24, so really happy with my consistency.

Great consistency, I somehow can't remember how cold feels and it's only been a year since I moved from the frigid white north ;) I need to do better cool down walks I'm really bad about them ;(
  • madmiss
    Options

That's an awesome pace! I'm not even close to that on my short runs.

Ditto!!!!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

Aw, that's a shame. But your attitude is wonderful, you got a run in and there'll be another race another day.
  • PaytraB
    Options

That's a terrific pace! Sounds like a lovely run.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Being the weekend, I went out for a longer workout.
    Not having run 5K straight since starting intervals, I first ran 5k (39:27!! Under 40 minutes!) and then did intervals, during which time I ran another 3.5K in total. Today I ran 8.5K. That's a very good day for me.