Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should open your own line. Call it "Better than Ever" Make dress clothes from technical fabrics....

Oh yes, Beth! That would be great! Work and dress clothes for bikers and runners, and to expand your consumers, people who would like to be.

Varda, you are doing a great job with the admin stuff! Love the reorganization!

Glad to see you back, Romy!

Running with a terrier, I'm always happy for the least amount of wildlife possible. Although we did have one run during the C25K with a bunny staying right in front of us for one of the running intervals. He waited until we got about 10 feet from him than would run and then stop about 30 feet away and wait until we got within 10 feet again and repeat, for the entire running interval. Fells pretty much pulled steadly forward for the entire thing. It was definitely the fastest we went for quite a while.

So so glad we haven't seen a skunk!
  • solardippo
    solardippo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Loving the spacious new digs we have here. All that clutter tidied away.

I have... done nothing for the past two days. Nothing. Not even walked to the train station at anything over ambling speed. Oh well. Possibly tomorrow evening after work. It is just so not happening tonight - freaking freezing out there and pitch black and I was standing about in the cold all day. Excuses excuses. And I have tried to eat everything that wasn't cat food in the whole kitchen.

Also; selective blindness. No, that is not an elliptical there in the corner of the room, you must be mistaken Sir! That is merely an expensive towel hanger...

But you will all hold me to getting out there tomorrow night?

But for now I am getting back under the duvet on the couch.

Sorry.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Loving the spacious new digs we have here. All that clutter tidied away.

I have... done nothing for the past two days. Nothing. Not even walked to the train station at anything over ambling speed. Oh well. Possibly tomorrow evening after work. It is just so not happening tonight - freaking freezing out there and pitch black and I was standing about in the cold all day. Excuses excuses. And I have tried to eat everything that wasn't cat food in the whole kitchen.

Also; selective blindness. No, that is not an elliptical there in the corner of the room, you must be mistaken Sir! That is merely an expensive towel hanger...

But you will all hold me to getting out there tomorrow night?

But for now I am getting back under the duvet on the couch.

Sorry.

http://hundredup.com/learn-georges-100-up-running-exercise/

If George can do it, you can too! And now that you're out of food, staying within your calorie limit should be easy-peasy.
  • solardippo
    Options

If George can do it, you can too! And now that you're out of food, staying within your calorie limit should be easy-peasy.

Great link. I even got out of bed and had a go at the minor exercise. More tomorrow!

...and there is always that cat food.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Great link. I even got out of bed and had a go at the minor exercise. More tomorrow!

...and there is always that cat food.

Yay, you!!!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I read an article on Fox News the other day about a group of people who run with people with disabilities or injuries. This group ran with a blind man who had then been hit by a cyclist in Central Park and broke his back. They trained with him, ran with him and all we're holding hands across the finish line. I start crying every time I think of this story, it was amazing. That's something like what I want to do with my life. You have to read this, It's amazing.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/11/04/blind-man-completes-18th-marathon-after-devastating-accident/

Love it!

It's interesting...I was reading about the New York Marathon on Runner's World and the advice that everybody gave was the 1st Avenue was hard. So it wasn't just him, but his injury probably made it harder.

And, new shoes! How happy! Which ones did you get?
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    - everyone is doing so great here I am so proud of everyone!!! I love coming here after a long day,....

Varda, I got some vibram 5 fingers ;) freaky, but awesome!!!! I loved my newtons, but these are amazing, and I'm almost a full 30 seconds or more quicker per mile!!!!
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    OMG. I just realized that I have a "delete" option for posts on this board. I'M A MODERATOR!!!

So, what do you want changed???

Don't let all that power go to your head! LOL!

Watch me change the group description! Who else wants to be a moderator?

It's looking good, Varda! :-)
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    It's official...Work sucks! Ok, so after doing a little catch up reading at lunch today, I think we should try for a sponsorship deal...Heck, I might even agree to be on a reality TV running program, if it meant getting to leave the interfering madness of my job behind and focus on running. And that's saying something, because reality TV typically irks me. We'd make it good though. Inspiring even! :-)

And if that doesn't pan out...Anyone know of any available positions that would made a real difference in the world, or even in one other person's life? Because all this stress and drama over designing inexpensive apparel for boomer aged women is just so not worth it. I need to find a job with real meaning. I'm willing to relocate...

You know what? Affordable, attractive clothes for boomer women IS an important thing to do. One of the things I hated about being fat were the lack of options available to me. It's really hard to maintain a positive self-image when getting dressed each morning is a struggle and a visit to the clothing store ends in tears.

However, stress and drama is stupid. We do it here too. It's not like any of this is a surprise to anybody. It's not like the company is going to go under if we revise a schedule by two weeks and actually do a pilot so we don't play catch-up on the back end. But we're not about to do anything that like that.

Maybe you should open your own line. Call it "Better than Ever" Make dress clothes from technical fabrics....

You know you are right. It is important. I do love what I do. It's just unfortunate that the work climate right now is a little toxic.
    As for your independent private label idea...I totally love it! I would totally love to design and sell a line of on-trend, figure flattering, affordable clothes for extended, beyond average sizes, plus or tall. And btsinmd...I would totally include performance/technical clothing! Now all I need is some seed money! :smile:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    - everyone is doing so great here I am so proud of everyone!!! I love coming here after a long day,....

Varda, I got some vibram 5 fingers ;) freaky, but awesome!!!! I loved my newtons, but these are amazing, and I'm almost a full 30 seconds or more quicker per mile!!!!

That's right...that's a huge increase in speed!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I had time yesterday for a quick 30 minute run after work. :laugh: (Giggling at "quick" and "30 minute" and "run" all coming out of my mouth in the same sentence!!)

I really just wanted to try my new shoes and see if I could figure out how I'm striking.

The shoes are GREAT! Almost no knee pain at all!

I pretty much decided I have been running on the balls of my feet. Yesterday, I made a conscious effort to follow through like Varda suggested. It made a big difference. My feet didn't hurt at all! My next longer run will be the 10k on Saturday, so we'll see if that holds true for the longer distance. (fingers crossed!)

11-19-2013_zpsf5abd692.jpg
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I pretty much decided I have been running on the balls of my feet. Yesterday, I made a conscious effort to follow through like Varda suggested. It made a big difference. My feet didn't hurt at all! My next longer run will be the 10k on Saturday, so we'll see if that holds true for the longer distance. (fingers crossed!)

Sounds like you had a great run there. Hopefully the next one is even better. What new shoes did you get?
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I got New Balance 770 shoes. I had narrowed it down to either those or Saucony's. Both felt good. I opted for the New Balance because they are American made.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    This keeps showing up on my home page:

Foam_zps874a362d.jpg

Unfortunately, there's not one close to me at all.

PS. I keep going back to posts I've made just to see my ticker! :bigsmile:
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    It was a balmy 43 degrees this morning so I ran 3 miles outside. I wasn't in the mood before or during my run, but as always I'm glad I did it. Pace was consistent with what I've been running in the dark (12:40).
  • solardippo
    Options
    PS. I keep going back to posts I've made just to see my ticker! :bigsmile:

As you should!

I went for a quick run tonight when I got in from work. Pitch black, freezing (3 / 37 degrees), and pretty windy after a long cold day at work. Only went because I promised here I would, and you know what?

I loved it.

Felt like the best run I have done in ages. Told myself I was going to do a 3 mile loop around back to my flat, no more and I quickly realised I was going relatively fast and nothing hurt too much. Did the miles, came home, and am glad I went out even if I did have to wear a pair of wooly gloves for the first 15 minutes.

I think it was the catering at work that fueled that one. Lamb curry then banoffee pie. Oh dear.
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Wow, miss a few days of checking in and lots of changes!! Nice work Varda!!

I have found that if I have to wait until evening (or on the weekend) to run, when I get back one of my girls is on the computer and the other on my tablet, so I don't always get to post when I want to. (Sometimes I'm just too lazy to boot up my work laptop.) Saturday I ran 6.2 miles for a second time, this time I was a couple minutes slower than last week. I did it in 1:28:51. Monday was my first below freezing run, I did 3 miles in 39:43. I'm on call for work this week and wasn't able to get out for my run on my lunch break, so I went out after I got off work. The sun was going down just as I started my run, it was windy and very cold. I got a cheap pair of running tights that weren't warm enough. Today I got out on my lunch break and did my first speed work session for a total of 4.5 miles in 57:22. (Yes, speed is a relative term, for me that was pretty good.) I put on my running capris with my running tights over top and was plenty warm enough.
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome ceci!!!! You def should, you should post it on your fridge, and on all your mirrors too ;) after 3 grueling 10+ hour days I finally got to go out for a 3 mile in the beautiful 54 degrees and slight rain. I wasn't with it, my head wasn't with it either but together we did it. And did some great times for the first two miles, even under 11 minutes I saw at one stage! Can't wait ill hours settle down and I can run in the am and go in a little later...I stepped on a giant nut with one foot while I was in my neighborhood rounds, and it hurt. I was looking up at the rain at the time in my headlamp because it looked like bugs. Stupid stupid! Owey! I've tried to train myself not to look down, but apparently at night it's a good idea ;)
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Ceci that ticker looks amazing! Well done!

solardippo it's funny how sometimes those are the best runs. When I really don't want to go out I remind myself that it might turn out to be awesome.

Rindy I'm still trying to figure out clothes for running in colder temps too. It was 43 degrees here this morning and I was dressed much too warmly. It's been cold & windy so I dressed for cold & windy.

madmiss my trainer hounds me about looking forward when I'm running, but I decided that doesn't apply when it's dark out. I do appreciate that you stepped on something because the rain looked like bugs, however.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Last night we ran six 400m intervals at race pace. Pretty much everyone in the group has a race next week so our coach wanted us to get a good feel for our target pace. It was a big difference from last week when we were running 800m intervals at a sub-7:00 pace. Running 400m at 9:00 pace felt slow but it did help me get a feel for my race pace. I nailed every interval within one second of my target time. That's the last speedwork session I'll be doing for a few weeks. I'll take a recovery break after the half marathon. And so will my wife due to a "stress reaction" in her upper tibia. She needs 2-3 weeks totally off running so it doesn't turn into a stress fracture.

Great work everyone! Keep up the fantastic progress!