Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I just read and caught up on everyone's activities this week and they are truly inspiring! It was a great week.

I'm a bit jealous of Tim getting to try out free gear! I was also touched by his description of the areas he ran through during his 10 mile run. We are all very blessed.

Great run, Dip! Your Parkrun sounds great!

Bts- Your week was an awesome exercise week. Dip is right!

Laura- Great job on your 6 miles! It is amazing the difference even a 15 sec difference in pace can make. I am looking forward to getting a HRM to help me rate my efforts.

Yamsteroo- I feel for you. My work life has gone crazy too. We will just have to make do as we can!

I ran 8 miles for the first time tonight. It took me 1:37. But my time at the 10K point was a whole 6 mins faster than the first time I ran that distance. I only planned to run 7, but I felt good, so I decided to push out the extra mile. I'm sore, but happy. I had a 100 foot climb in the 6th mile, but my 7th mile was almost as fast as the first few. The last mile was pretty slow.
  • solardippo
    solardippo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Despite intellectually taking in the great advice I was given here about how much to do and actually resting I went out yesterday morning and did what is for me a pretty long run. My phone said 11km, so factoring the random wibbles it records probably about 10k. It was a lovely blue sky day (but cold - ice and frost on the ground) and I wanted to get out of the flat as my partner had had friends over and they were dead bodies in the morning I didn't feel like tiptoeing around. I really don't have my perception of pace/ effort figured out because I though I was going deliberately slow, but again Mapmyrun says it was my usual pace. However, I did manage to keep my heart rate down a level for a decent portion of the run.

The way work is this week I don't think I will get out again until Thursday. Not ideal but not as bad as Yamsteroo's work sounds.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Wow lots of great runs this weekend! Congrats everybody.

Also lots of work stress & a bloody coup much less! I propose a rule that work isn't allowed to screw up anybody's planned runs. All in favor?

I did 2 miles on the treadmill this morning at the gym. 25:35:59 so not particularly fast, but TM running still kicks my rear. With my warm-up & cool-down walks I was on for 40 minutes total & went 2.76 miles. I walked out to the car with the thought that if it didn't seem slippery from yesterday's rain I might still run outside, but it was dark and 20 degrees with 20 mph winds, plus it was lightly snowing, so off to the gym I went.

Wednesday's run I'm going to try one of Varda's suggestions, which is to run faster during commercial breaks. My last couple TM runs I've listened to music on my iPod but have ESPN on so I also have something to look at it.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    After getting new running shoes, I went to my favorite running place (Pea Ridge National Military Park) yesterday and completed one time around- 6.87 miles including warm-up and cool down. I didn't run the whole way, had a few walking intervals, but finished with a respectable 11:22 pace. 4 other (younger) runners started just ahead of me running in the opposite direction. Crossed paths with the first 2 at just before the half way mark and the next 2 just after that. We all 6 arrived at the start/ finish line at just about the same time! (2 of the runners rested briefly then set off for another loop!)

11-17-2013_zps3b2d44db.jpg

I think the new shoes will definitely help with the knee pain, but I still have to figure out how to keep the balls of my feet from hurting. I'm not getting blisters anymore, just have tenderness that gets really uncomfortable. (It may be the way my foot strikes when I run? The girl fitting me for new shoes asked me if I always run on my toes. I think I actually hit on the ball of my foot when I'm running.) I had trouble finding shoes to wear the rest of the day that didn't hurt, but managed a good one hour hike later in the day. As far as cardio goes, I feel like I could run all day if only my legs and feet would accommodate!

My first official 10k is coming up this Saturday, right behind a cold front. The high on Saturday is predicted to be 36F, so I'm guessing at 7:30 AM it will be in the low 30's! BRRRR!!!
  • solardippo
    Options
    My first official 10k is coming up this Saturday, right behind a cold front. The high on Saturday is predicted to be 36F, so I'm guessing at 7:30 AM it will be in the low 30's! BRRRR!!!

Does everything in the US start so early in the day? 7.30 AM? And I keep reading about people getting up at 4.30 AM or out running or at the gym at 5.30 AM? Scotland doesn't wake up until 9... (well, awake at 7.30 maybe, but shops/ schools/ offices pretty universally start at 9.) When do you people sleep?!?!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    After getting new running shoes, I went to my favorite running place (Pea Ridge National Military Park) yesterday and completed one time around- 6.87 miles including warm-up and cool down. I didn't run the whole way, had a few walking intervals, but finished with a respectable 11:22 pace. 4 other (younger) runners started just ahead of me running in the opposite direction. Crossed paths with the first 2 at just before the half way mark and the next 2 just after that. We all 6 arrived at the start/ finish line at just about the same time! (2 of the runners rested briefly then set off for another loop!)

11-17-2013_zps3b2d44db.jpg

I think the new shoes will definitely help with the knee pain, but I still have to figure out how to keep the balls of my feet from hurting. I'm not getting blisters anymore, just have tenderness that gets really uncomfortable. (It may be the way my foot strikes when I run? The girl fitting me for new shoes asked me if I always run on my toes. I think I actually hit on the ball of my foot when I'm running.) I had trouble finding shoes to wear the rest of the day that didn't hurt, but managed a good one hour hike later in the day. As far as cardio goes, I feel like I could run all day if only my legs and feet would accommodate!

I started getting "ball of foot' soreness. The way you are "supposed to" strike (according to some theories) is toward the ball. Then your heel should touch down as your calf loads. The entire thing should reflexively spring up and forward because of the tension through the hip and calf.

What I was doing was running on the ball of my foot. When I made sure to load my calf (what it feels like is lengthening through my leg and hip at the end of my stride...not pushing through it, but just letting it complete the movement) everything became a lot easier.

I don't know if that's your issue, but it was mine.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Does everything in the US start so early in the day? 7.30 AM? And I keep reading about people getting up at 4.30 AM or out running or at the gym at 5.30 AM? Scotland doesn't wake up until 9... (well, awake at 7.30 maybe, but shops/ schools/ offices pretty universally start at 9.) When do you people sleep?!?!

Boston does afternoon races (Boston Marathon starts at like noon) and then they drink beer afterward. Sigh.

In Atlanta, during the summer, we don't have that as an option...and race organizers haven't figured out how to have mid-day races in the winter. And I guess the whole "closing the streets" thing enforces a time that no reasonable person would be awake.

You kind of have to run early (or really, really late) if you're training for a marathon. A lot of three-hour runs and you need to eat at least two hours beforehand - and I never felt like eating after (with shorter runs). So if you get off work at 5 and eat immediately, you aren't going to be running until 7. You'll get done at 10 and stretch. And there goes any time with the kids. If you get up at 5 and run fasting (which has benefits, even if you use fuel during the run), you can still make it to work by 9 if your spouse gets the kids to daycare.

EVERY SINGLE RACE MORNING, though, I question WTF I'm doing and whyTF I ever started running and how this is a good idea and what was I thinking when I signed up for it. If you are running with me, you get to hear me whine about it too. As a matter of fact, I might start texting you about it the night before.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Wow lots of great runs this weekend! Congrats everybody.

Also lots of work stress & a bloody coup much less! I propose a rule that work isn't allowed to screw up anybody's planned runs. All in favor?

I did 2 miles on the treadmill this morning at the gym. 25:35:59 so not particularly fast, but TM running still kicks my rear. With my warm-up & cool-down walks I was on for 40 minutes total & went 2.76 miles. I walked out to the car with the thought that if it didn't seem slippery from yesterday's rain I might still run outside, but it was dark and 20 degrees with 20 mph winds, plus it was lightly snowing, so off to the gym I went.

Wednesday's run I'm going to try one of Varda's suggestions, which is to run faster during commercial breaks. My last couple TM runs I've listened to music on my iPod but have ESPN on so I also have something to look at it.

Beth has suggested it might work better if we were just paid to run. You think Nike might be interested in a bunch of motivational newbie runners?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    7 miles today, first time at that distance...pace was 10:05 overall. 61 degrees this morning after being 19 my last run. but the wind heading back was fierce..

started running late August and i'm pretty excited how far I have come since then...more confident now that I'll be able to tackle that 25k in February.

Wow, joedefro! You've only been running since August?! That's some awesome progress

Yeah, he's a recent 5k graduate. 7 miles is pretty amazing. I don't remember, have you run before?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    A quick 2miles yesterday as I was pushed for time - didn't put my Garmin on but it was over a known course and I think I probably did it in the early 20s ... nothing amazing I'm sure but certainly nothing horrible like my last run so I'm more than happy!

This week and next are going to be very tricky to get 'proper' runs in as there's been a bloody coup at work meaning we've lost a director so my days off have been effectively cancelled for this week coming plus I'll be working longer hours to sort some things out. Next week I'm back at the hospital to get my eye 'fixed' again so that usually means loss of depth of field for a day or so.

I might just take the chance to stop the longer runs for a week or two and do 3 or 4 short runs each week instead. With any luck I'll come back fresher and faster ..... oh ok, just fresher lol

Hugs! You'll get through this. And you might just be faster with nice fresh legs. Experienced runners sometimes notice a bump after laying off because of injury.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Today my wife & I did a 10-mile course run for the Atlanta Half Marathon. It was nice to get a taste of the actual race course we'll be on in less than 2 weeks. I stayed with the 2-hour pace group until about halfway through the run. They were supposed to be running about 30 seconds slower than actual race pace but we started out a bit fast before they slowed it down after 3 miles or so. When we hit the halfway point I started moving ahead of them (which will be my race strategy). The last two miles I did about 8:00 pace and nearly caught the 1:50 pace group (where my wife was running). Overall my pace was 9:07, which is nearly exactly the 2-hour race pace.

Parts of the run were a bit depressing - we went through some bad parts of Atlanta and it was sad to see so many homeless people. At a food kitchen there were hundreds lined up for breakfast. These are the parts we never see until an event like this. It makes me feel thankful for having a good roof over our heads and a warm bed to sleep in at night.

Wow and wow Tim. A 2 hour half! That's like a 4:30 full marathon, which is dead-on average - amazing for a runner as new as you. I don't think I'll be capable of anything like that for another couple years.

And seeing those people at the food kitchen. How heartbreaking...especially as we head in to the holiday season. Reminds me that I need to stop by TJ Maxx for my Christmas Angel (and also to check out their sportswear section).
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I think instead of blindly following the app on my phone that has had me running nearly an hour 3 times a week I am going to move to just one long app-recorded run a week, a day on that hill and a faster 5k attempt Parkrun on saturday mornings. I feel like there should be another day in there as well - another longish slow?
    If you do another day, it should be a long slow one. The hill would be considered interval training and the 5k would be a tempo run. So that's a lot of speedwork. Which is consistent with "Run Less, Run Faster" but that can be a contentious philosophy.

I'm SOOO excited to hear about the parkrun. It's going to be awesome.

Parkrun Ran. Run. Well, there was some significant walking but that was because oh my, who moved that park to the top of a jaggy mountain? I swear there was not a single flat section, just hills that went up for a very long time and went down for a little bit before going up again. And the route takes in the biggest hill 3 times.

But I did it. About 50 people there, some of whom lapped me, but they were all really nice. I will be going back next week I think. I have a time to beat now! (31.45) The Parkrun website is great for statistics and a 15 year old boy came up behind me in the final seconds so there was a very short sprint finish... And I wasn't last but I really wasn't far off it.

Thank you Vardaeml for all the sense you have talked at me.

Who wouldn't do a run in a park at the top of a mountain!?! Ok. That sounds insane. Love the sprint at the end! This is what makes races exciting all the way down the field. There's this 14 year old kid in the Atlanta 5ks that is sometimes out in front of the lead woman...once those boys start getting testosterone, they can be serious competition.

And is that a 31:45 for a 5k? That's just about my goal for my next race.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Didn't have a great running week so far this week. I didn't run Monday after running Saturday and Sunday. Had water aerobics on Tuesday. Wednesday was cold and I just didn't feel like running outside, so I figured I try the treadmill again. I got two miles in and my knee was screaming, so I stopped. Since I was at the gym I did the weight machines for my arms. I looked at the leg weight machines and then decided to talk to the woman who was working at the desk (meaning she's being paid by the company to help with employee fitness in some way). Normally it's a guy at the desk named Keith who was the one who gave me the stretches to do after my runs that have worked so well. Wednesday was the first time in two weeks that my knee has been complaining and swollen.
    Anyway this woman talked to me, had me do a squat, and pointed out that as I do it I shift most of my weight to my good leg and that it's probably not a good exercise for me at the moment. She did encourage me to do the leg machines and continue the stretches and to use the exercise cycle rather than the treadmill when I don't run outside.
    Thursday I had no time to do much, plus my knee was still quite unhappy.
    Friday, I tried to come up with any excuse I could think of to avoid exercise, but it was a beautiful reasonably temperature day and I had the time, so no excuse would come to me. I ran 5k, with my IT band and knee complaining somewhat, not really bad, most of the run. Finished, stretched and iced.
    Was a little stiff this morning. Went to my water aerobics double class (90 minutes) and I'm feeling good tired, the sort you feel when you've really exercised, tired, not sleep, and nothing is sore.
    Tomorrow I'm planning to run longer than I have been, probably will go for run 5 miles or run/walk for 6.

Remember that one of the "Mother Runners" trained for a marathon on an exercise cycle due to injury. Stay fit, and you'll be able to pick up running again when you are ready.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Wow and wow Tim. A 2 hour half! That's like a 4:30 full marathon, which is dead-on average - amazing for a runner as new as you. I don't think I'll be capable of anything like that for another couple years.

I'm pretty happy about that. I know I can definitely finish ahead of the 2:00 pace group but the question is how much. If I wanted to I think I could hang with the 1:50 pace group but at the risk of hurting myself even more. I'll use the 2:00 group to keep me in check for the first 6-7 miles, then begin my move to leave them behind. The last 2 miles will be all-out. It'll be just like the yellow/orange/red zone method by Jenny Hadfield.

I saw my therapist last Thursday and she thinks I have a small tear in the fiber tissue where the IT band begins and lots of stuff connects at the outside of the pelvis. Nothing major but it is painful after a run. Rest & ice are the only things that help right now. I can't really rest until after Thanksgiving so I'm just dealing with the pain for now.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options

I started getting "ball of foot' soreness. The way you are "supposed to" strike (according to some theories) is toward the ball. Then your heel should touch down as your calf loads. The entire thing should reflexively spring up and forward because of the tension through the hip and calf.

What I was doing was running on the ball of my foot. When I made sure to load my calf (what it feels like is lengthening through my leg and hip at the end of my stride...not pushing through it, but just letting it complete the movement) everything became a lot easier.

I don't know if that's your issue, but it was mine.

I guess I need to take some time to concentrate on exactly how I'm running? Maybe find someone who knows about running to watch me run and offer suggestions? Maybe I'll start with getting someone to video me and go from there. I'm sure it's the way I'm running that is causing the pain!
  • timeasterday
    Options
    I guess I need to take some time to concentrate on exactly how I'm running? Maybe find someone who knows about running to watch me run and offer suggestions? Maybe I'll start with getting someone to video me and go from there. I'm sure it's the way I'm running that is causing the pain!

Do you have any Good Form Running classes near you? That's what really helped. me. I didn't think I was heel striking but the video does not lie! Maybe someone at a local running store can help?
  • solardippo
    Options
    Boston does afternoon races (Boston Marathon starts at like noon) and then they drink beer afterward. Sigh.

In Atlanta, during the summer, we don't have that as an option...and race organizers haven't figured out how to have mid-day races in the winter. And I guess the whole "closing the streets" thing enforces a time that no reasonable person would be awake.

You kind of have to run early (or really, really late) if you're training for a marathon. A lot of three-hour runs and you need to eat at least two hours beforehand - and I never felt like eating after (with shorter runs). So if you get off work at 5 and eat immediately, you aren't going to be running until 7. You'll get done at 10 and stretch. And there goes any time with the kids. If you get up at 5 and run fasting (which has benefits, even if you use fuel during the run), you can still make it to work by 9 if your spouse gets the kids to daycare.

EVERY SINGLE RACE MORNING, though, I question WTF I'm doing and whyTF I ever started running and how this is a good idea and what was I thinking when I signed up for it. If you are running with me, you get to hear me whine about it too. As a matter of fact, I might start texting you about it the night before.

So the early starts make sense with longer distances. Doesn't stop me thinking it is mental though. I think it was just on my mind because I am working for an American company for the rest of this week and have a 6.45am call time tomorrow. 80% of my year is spent working more in the 1pm 1 11pm range so that may as well be 3am in terms of how my body will react.

Heartened to hear you don't *enjoy* that time though!
    And is that a 31:45 for a 5k? That's just about my goal for my next race.

Yup, and there was a lot of hill-forced walking in there. I suspect my next obsession will be beating that time week on week until I can actually run/shuffle the whole course. One of the organisers did say that lots of experienced regular runners do this Parkrun once, but go back in disgust at their time to one of the other two Parkruns in the city that are run on flat routes!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options

Do you have any Good Form Running classes near you? That's what really helped. me. I didn't think I was heel striking but the video does not lie! Maybe someone at a local running store can help?

I really don't know, haven't lived here very long and haven't gotten connected with the running community. I'll do some research and check with the running store.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    It's official...Work sucks! Ok, so after doing a little catch up reading at lunch today, I think we should try for a sponsorship deal...Heck, I might even agree to be on a reality TV running program, if it meant getting to leave the interfering madness of my job behind and focus on running. And that's saying something, because reality TV typically irks me. We'd make it good though. Inspiring even! :-)

And if that doesn't pan out...Anyone know of any available positions that would made a real difference in the world, or even in one other person's life? Because all this stress and drama over designing inexpensive apparel for boomer aged women is just so not worth it. I need to find a job with real meaning. I'm willing to relocate...
  • timeasterday
    Options
    I need to find a job with real meaning.

I have that thought often as I sit in a sea of beige cubicles.