Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    That is great, Romy!!!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Finished first 8 mile long run today @ 9:31mile/min...

felt great during the run, but afterwards felt weirdish, and couldn't understand why...i didn't eat supper last night and only had about 600 calories before the run...anyways i found out today that 8 miles was my limit if i am low on food for the day

I felt weirdish after my first 8 mile run last week too. I think I might be getting into GU territory. Time to figure out race gels. I have heard that after 1 hour you need a little something, but I have been trying to not use anything other than a little water until I absolutely have to...Apparently 1 hour and 15 minutes is about when I need a boost.

BTW...last week i broke 20 miles for a week :)

That's so awesome congrats!!! Feels pretty good doesn't it!
    Well I did my 1.5hr run and it went ok all things considered (that is, considering I've been a right slacker the past week or so!).

Managed 7.75miles. I was tempted to push on the last quarter of a mile to make it up to 8miles but if I'm being honest, I was pretty done in by then plus my return journey was at a faster pace so I was already having to walk up and down my street several times like some sort of dayglo cat burglar in order to cool down before going indoors.

Ceci that was a great time for your 10k - even better that you still had some in the tank at the end :)

So great for you too!!! I can imagine you running back and forth like a fellon, at night I run the same laps around the neighborhood, the neighbors must have all sorts of crazy notions about me ;)
    My 10k went really well, I think! Official time 1:04:51.5, pace 10:28. I finished 104 overall out of 136 and 9th (last) in my age group. (I did finish just ahead of a guy my age- I had more left at the end than him- he walked the last 100 yds or so, which I sprinted!)

I think the temp was about 27F when we started. I dressed in layers and felt pretty good. After about 2 miles, I unzipped the jacket. At just before the 3 mile mark, I took off the gloves. I had to stop once to adjust my sock, but felt pretty good the whole way!

The weather promises to be entirely too cold to get out and do much most of this week. :grumble:

Good news is, I get to join a gym next week! :bigsmile:

Thats so awesome!!! Congrats! That's a great time, I can't believe people are so fast I can't even imagine a 10 minute mile right now, good job on the layers, sounds like you did it right. Happy gyming it! I ran in the cold and wind and loved it today, can't imagine being indoors....
  • madmiss
    Options
    Wore the old shoes for a 3 mile jaunt in the cold wind with hat gloves, ski songs, two sweaters etc.... Got hot right away, have yet to figure out this layer thing, but happy I went out! Not loving wearing the old shoes any more at all, but figuring they work different muscles so it's a good change of pace every once in a while even if I am way slower in them! I read an article in runners world about running every day for at least one mile for. 30 days. Given its 30 days to Christmas I decided I'm going to do this! I'm kinda excited!!!

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/a-season-to-streak?page=single

Funny funny article, I love reading this guys columns - it motivates me! ;) today is day 1! If nothing else it gives me something to feel guilty about while I'm sitting here thinking it's too cold outside ;)
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Wore the old shoes for a 3 mile jaunt in the cold wind with hat gloves, ski songs, two sweaters etc.... Got hot right away, have yet to figure out this layer thing, but happy I went out! Not loving wearing the old shoes any more at all, but figuring they work different muscles so it's a good change of pace every once in a while even if I am way slower in them! I read an article in runners world about running every day for at least one mile for. 30 days. Given its 30 days to Christmas I decided I'm going to do this! I'm kinda excited!!!

My friend told me to wear light layers - I had three light layers on Saturday and despite it being quite cold & windy out I was very comfortable during my run. I had a light fleece closest to my body, followed by a quarter-zip tech pullover (which I wore alone when the temp dropped to about 30F), and then I had Danskin full-zip hooded sweatshirt on top. That's closer to a tech fabric than cotton. It was pretty brisk on my walk but was perfect on my run.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Very proud of my kids, completed week 6 of c25k which is a 25 minute run. They managed it easily (much easier than I did first time round!) and still managed to sprint the last minute. Finding it harder to fit in the runs now that the weather is becoming more unpredictable but we'll be finished before Christmas.
    Really great!!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Very proud of my kids, completed week 6 of c25k which is a 25 minute run. They managed it easily (much easier than I did first time round!) and still managed to sprint the last minute. Finding it harder to fit in the runs now that the weather is becoming more unpredictable but we'll be finished before Christmas.

Sprinting the last minute...now that's impressive! I seem to recall plodding along those last minutes praying for the time to end.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I won't see my trainer again until next Monday because of the holiday (he's traveling), so he gave me homework at our session tonight. He wrote out a couple of strength workouts and at the bottom he wrote "Saturday's Long Run = 8 Miles!!" I just realized he made the exclamation points after that into a smiley face. :smile:
  • likitisplit
    Options

Sprinting the last minute...now that's impressive! I seem to recall plodding along those last minutes praying for the time to end.

Well, they have personalized and expert guidance.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I won't see my trainer again until next Monday because of the holiday (he's traveling), so he gave me homework at our session tonight. He wrote out a couple of strength workouts and at the bottom he wrote "Saturday's Long Run = 8 Miles!!" I just realized he made the exclamation points after that into a smiley face. :smile:

8 miles! Can you believe it?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Today (36 and raining) I wore a long sleeved tech shirt, a water resistant tech shell (it has a fleece liner that I removed). Cheap nike Capri yoga pants (tech fabric) and water resistant warmup pants. My jacket had a hood and I wore a tech hat under it and tech gloves. The gloves got damp so my hands were cold but everything else felt pretty good.

I ran to Kroger, and I can tell you that coffee was a deciding factor. I could clearly envision enjoying tasting it and it seemed more than worth the annoyance of the rain.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Today (36 and raining) I wore a long sleeved tech shirt, a water resistant tech shell (it has a fleece liner that I removed). Cheap nike Capri yoga pants (tech fabric) and water resistant warmup pants. My jacket had a hood and I wore a tech hat under it and tech gloves. The gloves got damp so my hands were cold but everything else felt pretty good.

I ran to Kroger, and I can tell you that coffee was a deciding factor. I could clearly envision enjoying tasting it and it seemed more than worth the annoyance of the rain.

Wow, can't believe you went out today. We went downtown to the race expo and the rain was horrible! Good job getting out there - more than I would do today!!
  • madmiss
    Options

Wow, can't believe you went out today. We went downtown to the race expo and the rain was horrible! Good job getting out there - more than I would do today!!

My 30 days in a row ended yesterday at day 1 cause a) I'm starting to get sick and b) it was raining storming and nasty ;( so I'm in the couch with brandy thinking how awesome you are varda!!!!!
  • likitisplit
    Options

It was worse later. I'm glad I didn't put it off.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    My 30 days in a row ended yesterday at day 1 cause a) I'm starting to get sick and b) it was raining storming and nasty ;( so I'm in the couch with brandy thinking how awesome you are varda!!!!!

Yuck. Sorry you're not feeling well.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

I can't. Last night I was trying to figure out my route on Endomondo's website. For fun I decided to see how far it was from my house to my parents' house. They're in the next town over. I'm on the west side of my small city and they're on the east side of their even smaller town. Eight miles would take me just past their house. I don't even like driving to my parents' house because I think it's a hassle. Now I feel compelled to run there because it just feels so ridiculous. I don't feel compelled to run home again, though, so I'd want to hook up a ride back.

TM run this morning. Quarter mile warm-up, 2 mile run at incrementally varying speeds, quarter mile cool-down. Bumped my usual Mon/Weds runs to Tues/Thurs this week so I can run outside on Thursday.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

You are a rock star.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

Yuck. Sorry you're not feeling well.

I second that. Feel better soon.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Sorry you're not feeling well madmiss. Hope you get over it soon.

You rock, Varda! Next time I'm tempted to stay in because it's yucky out I'll think of you.

Good luck with the 8 miles, Laura.

I haven't run since last Wednesday, with the flyball tournament on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and then shifting my priority to the pool for the few days that it's open this week, closed today through Friday and they said no water aerobics until next Monday. Today I need to get out! It was rainy, chilly, and miserable this morning. I hope that it gets better by this afternoon as I'll get off work by 2 pm. Do my run and then head to the store to see if any groceries are left on the shelves. I've got no idea how far I should run today, but will probably go with the old standby 5k training run.

Planning to bike on Thanksgiving, run on Friday, bike on Saturday, and run Sunday.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options

I can't. Last night I was trying to figure out my route on Endomondo's website. For fun I decided to see how far it was from my house to my parents' house. They're in the next town over. I'm on the west side of my small city and they're on the east side of their even smaller town. Eight miles would take me just past their house. I don't even like driving to my parents' house because I think it's a hassle. Now I feel compelled to run there because it just feels so ridiculous. I don't feel compelled to run home again, though, so I'd want to hook up a ride back.

TM run this morning. Quarter mile warm-up, 2 mile run at incrementally varying speeds, quarter mile cool-down. Bumped my usual Mon/Weds runs to Tues/Thurs this week so I can run outside on Thursday.

Wow! 8 miles! So awesome! I love the idea of running to your parent's house. What an accomplishment that will be and the fact that you are running to a place you normally only drive to, makes it even more fun! Good Luck!
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options

Bummer! Get well, madmiss.