Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Ran the first annual Furkey Frot with my kids today and we finished @ 27:05 for a 5k distance today. A PR(although not official) for my daughter. It was cold and windy, but we ran together before most folks were awake.

That is totally awesome!! Big congrats to you!!!
  • timeasterday
    Options
    My first half marathon is done!! Endomondo has my time at 1:52:28 but we'll see the official results when they come out this afternoon. Man, that was a tough course! Atlanta is just so hilly. My next half is also in Atlanta (oh, great!). My wife did great too - she did 1:46.

EDIT: Results are up - I am at 1:53. Pretty happy with that!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    My first half marathon is done!! Endomondo has my time at 1:52:28 but we'll see the official results when they come out this afternoon. Man, that was a tough course! Atlanta is just so hilly. My next half is also in Atlanta (oh, great!). My wife did great too - she did 1:46.

EDIT: Results are up - I am at 1:53. Pretty happy with that!

That is awesome. Congratulations Tim!
  • solardippo
    solardippo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have been busy busy busy, but just caught up on the last two pages. You are all so inspiring, but special mention is going to
    My 30 days in a row ended yesterday at day 1 cause a) I'm starting to get sick and b) it was raining storming and nasty ;( so I'm in the couch with brandy thinking how awesome you are varda!!!!!

For making me laugh. I hope you are feeling better Madmiss.

I had a terrible run on Tuesday morning. In the pouring rain that was mostly fighting not to walk, walking and having no energy and a stupidly high heart rate. Not a hint of a runners high after that abomination. Went out last night and did an easy 5K though. Straight after work- no excuses. Evenings are so much... easier. I am going to keep trying to run mornings and see if it gets any easier but my body really doesn't seem to like it. No hill run this week because I can't do it in the dark, and even my parkrun is looking dodgy due to the work work work work work.

Speaking of which, I have to get back. Boo.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I am going to keep trying to run mornings and see if it gets any easier but my body really doesn't seem to like it. No hill run this week because I can't do it in the dark, and even my parkrun is looking dodgy due to the work work work work work.

Speaking of which, I have to get back. Boo.

I drink pedialyte in the morning. You might want to try gatorade.
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Way to go Tim!!! And to everyone else on their turkey activities!!! I stuffed a pile of sudafed down my throat then went for a nice 3 miler where I got a personal best mile on #3 then went to a fancy dancy buffet with the other childless neighbors in our village and ate 1000 delicious calories worth of oysters and shrimp and other delectable southern things ;) I am the only person I know who actually lost a pound on thanksgiving ;) then we sat round and drank whiskey and watched football for like 12 hours (mental note, I don't like whiskey or football really, but it felt like the thing to do ;) I felt so guilty I didn't run today but I still feel poopy ;( I left a lot of snot on the side of the road for my run yesterday lol TMI, I am sure!!!!
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations, everyone on your turkey runs, official and otherwise!

I ran an impromptu, informal "stuffin' run" group-run 10k up/down our local mountain (1,000FT elevation). I have never before been able to manage it without walk breaks. This was my 3rd attempt, the 1st as a "race" and was delighted. My time was... last (82 minutes). But I finished when half the pack turned back, either for cold, wind or hills.

I cried most of the way back down.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

I ran an impromptu, informal "stuffin' run" group-run 10k up/down our local mountain (1,000FT elevation). I have never before been able to manage it without walk breaks. This was my 3rd attempt, the 1st as a "race" and was delighted. My time was... last (82 minutes). But I finished when half the pack turned back, either for cold, wind or hills.

Not last then - the final finisher. "Last" would be all those people who turned around. So proud of you!!! I know this has been a goal of yours, so it must feel incredible to have done it.

You crying on the way down makes me smile and want to hug you all at the same time.
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Was it tears of happiness? Congrats for finishing, that's a big deal!!! Not a bad time either for a giant hill!!!

Today my good neighbor friend decided to take me out and push me along at my new pr pace, for 3 miles.... I held it for 2 then slipped by 45 seconds the last mile, but beat my 3 mile time by 2 minutes 13 seconds! I've never run next to anyone before, and I've never run that fast for so long! it was very neat, we talked, I had one earphone in, and I swore at him the whole time for torturing me, it was awesome!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I ran 8 miles for the first time. Total time 1:48:49, which includes stopping for a minute to do some dynamic stretches at 6.2 miles. Legs started cramping at 5 miles. The final half mile I finished by sheer force of will. I could see the convenience store where I expected to finish and had laser vision on their sign. I hit 8 miles in their parking lot & went in, whimpering slightly, to get my VitaminWater for the walk home. I walked a mile afterward, which usually is enough to get rid of the cramping in my legs, but not today. Stretched but am going to get on my foam roller too.

Jason told me to bring Gatorade with me (the kind with calories) so I bought one of those bottles with the hand strap. I was annoyed with it for the first four miles and incredibly grateful for it the final 4.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Finished first 8 mile long run today @ 9:31mile/min...

felt great during the run, but afterwards felt weirdish, and couldn't understand why...i didn't eat supper last night and only had about 600 calories before the run...anyways i found out today that 8 miles was my limit if i am low on food for the day

I felt weirdish after my first 8 mile run last week too. I think I might be getting into GU territory. Time to figure out race gels. I have heard that after 1 hour you need a little something, but I have been trying to not use anything other than a little water until I absolutely have to...Apparently 1 hour and 15 minutes is about when I need a boost.

Okay I feel weirdish after my first 8 mile run too. I knew someone else had posted that so went looking for it. (Also enjoying the fact that my 8 mile run took SO MUCH LONGER than everyone else's.) I can't quite warm up - wasn't cold on my actual run, this was just after getting back in the house. Turned up the furnace, put on more clothes, turned up the furnace again, drank some hot tea, ate lunch, took a nap (okay I really just wanted a nap), but still I feel chilled. And overall I'm just feeling a little off.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    Congrats Laura!!!

and Congrats Tim!!! can't wait tip I get cut loose on a half.

BTW, I was supposed to run 8 miles today, but I looped around for a 3 miler to drop my son off (3 miles is as far as he wants to run)..then miscalculated my turnaround point and ended up running 9 miles today @ 9:36...

I ate well the last few days and noticed immediately that the weirdness wasn't there. I am sure that I was just low on fuel the last time...this time felt like an easy long run...felt good enough that after the shower, I took the girls shopping then played a pickup basketball game with my son went we got home...

I think i'm serious enough now to buy a good pair of shoes...I have been running in Nike Free 3.0 and mostly in adidas crazy fast AZ...was at academy today and they have a pair of asics cumulus 14 for 55.00(US). Anyone have experience with theses shoes? They felt great, but I'd like to do a bit of research first. But that price tag is very attractive.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    BTW, I was supposed to run 8 miles today, but I looped around for a 3 miler to drop my son off (3 miles is as far as he wants to run)..then miscalculated my turnaround point and ended up running 9 miles today @ 9:36...

I ate well the last few days and noticed immediately that the weirdness wasn't there. I am sure that I was just low on fuel the last time...this time felt like an easy long run...felt good enough that after the shower, I took the girls shopping then played a pickup basketball game with my son went we got home...

Wow! An extra mile, a shopping trip AND a basketball game. Way to kill it!
    I think i'm serious enough now to buy a good pair of shoes...I have been running in Nike Free 3.0 and mostly in adidas crazy fast AZ...was at academy today and they have a pair of asics cumulus 14 for 55.00(US). Anyone have experience with theses shoes? They felt great, but I'd like to do a bit of research first. But that price tag is very attractive.

I don't know these shoes, but on the Asics website they're out of stock but were selling at $110(US).
  • timeasterday
    Options

I tried the ASICS Cumulus but they didn't feel right for me. They felt sloppy but then I have a narrow foot. I need a shoe that fits tighter. If they felt great to you that's a positive but make sure it's the proper shoe for you. The Cumulus is meant for a more neutral runner to a slight overpronater. You need to have a running store analyze your gait if you haven't already.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    Seems like a lot of drama for a shoe..lol. Honestly, i have ran in 3 different shoes, the nike free have been good for speed work and short runs after about 4 miles the bottom of my feet feels like it's getting an indian burn. The adidas crazy fast have been solid on longer runs, its a stiff shoe, but real light. I tried running in some pumas but they felt like i was running in combat boots. But no pain in legs or other parts with any shoe that I have worn. Running store involves driving about 2 hours to get to one, and getting time enough to make the trip ( hard to do with 4 teenagers who are active in school sports as well as 2 of them in elite leagues from time to time)

Finish Line has brooks ghost 6 for 69.00, so I think tomorrow, I'll go to academy and try both of them on and maybe make a decision. I don't know anything about my gait, but I assume i'm a neutral runner.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Wow Laura! Nice work. Are you feeling any better.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I ran 8 miles for the first time. Total time 1:48:49, which includes stopping for a minute to do some dynamic stretches at 6.2 miles. Legs started cramping at 5 miles. The final half mile I finished by sheer force of will. I could see the convenience store where I expected to finish and had laser vision on their sign. I hit 8 miles in their parking lot & went in, whimpering slightly, to get my VitaminWater for the walk home. I walked a mile afterward, which usually is enough to get rid of the cramping in my legs, but not today. Stretched but am going to get on my foam roller too.

Jason told me to bring Gatorade with me (the kind with calories) so I bought one of those bottles with the hand strap. I was annoyed with it for the first four miles and incredibly grateful for it the final 4.

This was me. As a side note, don't run over 3 hours. It doesn't really gain you anything and it just kind of sucks. Let me also reassure you that you'll be fine on race day. Try supplementing with magnesium for the cramps. Experiment with fueling. Run your own race.
  • likitisplit
    Options

DFL > DNF > DNS

I'm so proud of you!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

This was me. As a side note, don't run over 3 hours. It doesn't really gain you anything and it just kind of sucks. Let me also reassure you that you'll be fine on race day. Try supplementing with magnesium for the cramps. Experiment with fueling. Run your own race.

Varda,

Good to know about the 3 hours. Honestly my race isn't until the end of June so this isn't even really training. I think this is my trainer just wanting me to log some longer runs outside while I can, although I'm going to ask him on Monday since the last time we discussed strategy I'm pretty sure he told me this was my "off season" where I just maintain.

Definitely also think that if I'm going to run close to 2 hours I need to eat more before I head out, and then fuel mid-run.

I have a powdered magnesium supplement, so I'm going to go drink some now.

Jessie, I am feeling better, thanks!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Seems like a lot of drama for a shoe..lol. Honestly, i have ran in 3 different shoes, the nike free have been good for speed work and short runs after about 4 miles the bottom of my feet feels like it's getting an indian burn. The adidas crazy fast have been solid on longer runs, its a stiff shoe, but real light. I tried running in some pumas but they felt like i was running in combat boots. But no pain in legs or other parts with any shoe that I have worn. Running store involves driving about 2 hours to get to one, and getting time enough to make the trip ( hard to do with 4 teenagers who are active in school sports as well as 2 of them in elite leagues from time to time)

Finish Line has brooks ghost 6 for 69.00, so I think tomorrow, I'll go to academy and try both of them on and maybe make a decision. I don't know anything about my gait, but I assume i'm a neutral runner.

I have problem feet, so there is drama involved when I buy shoes. LOL. But the running store is maybe a mile out of my way when I drive home from work, so it's not an issue to get there. In general Brooks makes awesome running shoes. What I've been told about Asics is that they run the spectrum so just because it has the Asics name on it doesn't mean it's a great running shoe. Having said that, I switched from Brooks to Saucony to Asics.