Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Varda, that's a great pic!

Tim, wow!! That's a great opportunity.

I have finished with Christmas baking and preps...well, as much as can be done ahead of time. There's just a bit of wrapping left to do. Which means that I won't be missing any more runs....at least very, very few.

Today, I ran 5.5Km in 47:10 (approx. 13 min mile). That's a little slow, even for me. Need to pay a bit more attention to pushing myself a bit. I've been coasting this past month.

I find myself doing that sometimes - the other day I checked my pace after a man ran past me like I was going backwards and was aghast to see it was almost a full minute off the pace of the previous mile all because I was daydreaming about stuff and not putting in the effort! Mind you, even picking up my pace he was still out of sight in no time lol

You all are so cute "Yeah, a 13 minute is a little slow" Go say that over in the 5k group :)
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    This was my last work day until after Christmas. So I left the office a little early to get out and enjoy this beautiful weather. Ran 6.2 miles on the greenway at 9:00 avg pace. Did the first mile slow, then a really fast mile, then two sorta-fast miles, then a really fast mile, then a slow mile. My right IT band was getting a little tight but everything else felt good. Looking forward to pilates class tomorrow and yoga on Saturday. Not looking forward to another rainy Sunday. Hope I can get my long run in before the rain.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Ok. I just did a mile and a half. The first of the week. I'm slacking, but next week I'll have some really good opportunities to lay it on the road. Namely Monday (day off), Tuesday (daycare open until 4) and Wednesday (husband home). I might just take all three opportunities + Saturday. If it's nice, I might take the girls to a track.
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Tim - have you ever run in the rain? It's actually kind of fun!

Good job Rindy on the running club, its awesome running next to someone, changes everything, and makes you faster! You'll get back to where you were before you know it!

Hey varda, anything is better than being in the couch. ;)

Ran 4 miles with my new running buddy today. She decided she wanted to know all about me and vice versa so we chatted the whole way, at about an 11.4 min mile - first time running with no music, it was actually nice! She's gotten me out of bed twice now with 32 degree weather. It's really nice having someone that's counting on you for motivation, and great for making it fun and helping each other out. I'm quite enjoying it, even if I would like to be running faster, it's nice not going all out every run -
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Tried out my new running shoes today with a 2 mile TM run. First run after my mini running break to let my Achilles & knee rest. Felt pretty good once I got warmed up, and I ran a bit faster than my usual TM pace. My pace conversion chart tells me most of my run was at 11:44, with my final few minutes at 9:52 (to finish faster because my trainer was ready for me early), which is pretty much what I had been running outside for my short runs. The shoes are pretty rigid (which I like) so they will need a little breaking in. Trainer initially wanted me to run a third mile after our session but I talked him out of it after reminding him he wanted me to ease back in.

I should be able to get outside on Saturday for a longer run. While we're throwing out slow paces, my running-in-the-snow pace is a 14 minute mile.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Tim - have you ever run in the rain? It's actually kind of fun!

Oh yeah! Many, many times in pouring rain. Just sick of rain every weekend. Looks like the storms are hitting mid-morning so if I get my butt out of bed early enough I can get started in the dark and finish before it hits. I don't mind rain but I do mind lightning.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I hit the gym yesterday, made almost 6 miles on the elliptical, then did some strength training. I am loving the gym!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    What Tim is getting at is that's it's kind of been icky for awhile. In Georgia the appropriate response is to hide inside your house until it gets better. Why go out in 40-degree drizzle if it's going to be 65 in a few days. You can tough it out, but it takes a lot of willpower.

Though it's actually going to be 72-degree drizzle.
  • madmiss
    Options
    lol Varda, I know exactly what he's talking about, I live 4 hours south of him :) I've never run in heavy rain, but I have in medium rain :)
  • timeasterday
    Options
    I hit the gym yesterday, made almost 6 miles on the elliptical, then did some strength training. I am loving the gym!

Good job!! I am loving the gym too. We had an awesome Pilates class this morning. Just my wife & I showed up so the instructor asked what we wanted to do. We said hips & core and boy did she give us a good workout! After an hour of that I stayed to do 90 minutes of legs and back stuff. I did some squats and could really feel how tired my core was. Blasted the leg press at 270 lbs and I think I'm ready to take it higher.

I'll be watching the weather closely. Different forecasts are all over the place on the timing of the coming storms. Last one I saw showed it hitting 9AM Sunday morning. I can get my run in before that if that forecast holds true. If not, it doesn't look like it will last all day so I can always push my run until later.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Busy busy day today, but on VACATION from now until January 2nd!

Instead of regular work today I was scheduled to help monitor the two groups sprucing up our work area. One group was painting and doing some minor construction and upgrading our appliances. The other group was replacing the flooring, very interesting to watch as they put much of our stuff (desks, file cabinets, shelves) on wheeled carts and shifted it around as they worked. My scheduled time was noon to 7 pm.

So last night I got all my bills, annual dues, and entries for dog events in 2014 together and wrote a bunch of checks. This morning, I needed to get everything mailed, take a Christmas card to a friend, get my oil changed, get in a run, and go to a water aerobics class. I started out, mailed the stuff, stopped for the oil change and was told "not today" and got an appointment for tomorrow, went to a park to run since I was already in the car and started my run. Then I remembered that someone was coming to my house some time today and needed to get into the backyard. I was supposed to remove the gate locks. Fells can open gates unless they are locked, so they are very rarely unlocked, because I need to be outside every minute that he's out, if they are. So our planned 5k run because a 2 mile run, but at a slower pace than I'd normally have done a 2 mile run. I went home and luckily no one had been there yet, so I unlocked the gates. Then finished my other errands, got to water aerobics and added a bit of swimming in afterward, then showered, got the dogs settled and headed to work.

Boy! Is it boring to watch painters paint, even worse than watching paint dry, but I did that too. Luckily, after 3 hours, I switched off and started to monitor the guys that were hauling new things in and hauling old stuff out. Got to walk through the building, carry some light stuff (being careful not to be noticed as it's against the rules for the monitors to move, lift, or carry anything), open doors, and operate some of the freight elevators - some of which had to be antiques and original to the building. So I'm pretty pleased with the exercise I got today, even with my run being a little shorter than I planned. Operating the freight elevators was a little like working on a weight machine, pull this down, pull this up, push this other thing across. :)

Tomorrow two more back to back water aerobics classes and finally get the oil changed, and tackle the "Saturday before Christmas" scheduled errands and jobs, including buying gifts, getting a tablet fixed or replaced, and getting Christmas cards written and out, and finding an empty parking lot and practicing my freestyle routines to music sans dogs. I have been practicing these freestyle routines for months, but was doing tweaks up to last Friday. I have to make sure that I know them cold. Sunday, another run is scheduled, 4 to 5 miles, and in the afternoon, I'm getting the two freestyle routines taped, one each with Colin and Fells. Ack! I have to figure out what I'm going to wear! Nothing fits!

Hope that you are all enjoying the holidays and will continue to do so.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    You all are so cute "Yeah, a 13 minute is a little slow" Go say that over in the 5k group :)

LOL! That is a bit of perspective, Varda. Thanks for that! I do tend to forget how far I've come.

Ceci, that's a great gym day. Way to go!

btsinmd, I'm on vacation until the New Year now, too. Yay!!

I did the 10K Runner, Week 11, Day 2 program today, with a shorter run session added at the end. Ended up running 6.3K, on incline levels 1-4 (I varied it as I tired or rested), in 51 minutes.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    You need to post video of your freestyle. I watch YouTube videos of it when I really need a pick me up.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Sup everyone. Work day today, but no one is here so I get to surf on here for the day...ha ha!

Had an awesome few days off work. Didn't get to the running group on Wednesday, had to work, so I did my 3.5 miles down on the water front here in Memphis. I would have done more, but I ran Thursday as well, and I have learned that if I run back to back I need to keep them nice easy runs. Did my weight lifting on Thursday morning as well, dead lifts. And man did they suck Thursday. Have some nasty DOMS right now going on.

Thursday night was the running store's Holiday party. Best motivation to get people to come out? Free beer! Yes you heard me. They do that every Wednesday night too lol. But Thursday, the running store went through 4 kegs, 6 huge bottles of wine and 4 cases of Corona....plus like 25 pizzas and 4 HUGE things of Gumbo. We did the easy 3.5 route that they normally do on Thursday nights there, which is really hilly. But it is easy. The group I am run with is usually the last people to get back lol, we are slow as molassis lol. But it was really really fun. Lorie, the group director, gave me a jingle bell to wear, so I was jingling all up and down the streets lol. Then the party was after, and they had a band and stuff. A bunch of the less mature adults there decided to molest the blow up frosty they had. Poor thing.

Man it was a lot of fun though.

Today is a 6 mile run, haven't decided which way to go. If I am going to just go through down town or back again on mud island.

Happy Holidays and Merry Running!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Good job!! I am loving the gym too. We had an awesome Pilates class this morning. Just my wife & I showed up so the instructor asked what we wanted to do. We said hips & core and boy did she give us a good workout! After an hour of that I stayed to do 90 minutes of legs and back stuff. I did some squats and could really feel how tired my core was. Blasted the leg press at 270 lbs and I think I'm ready to take it higher.

I've been doing a Pilates class on Tuesdays since the beginning of the year. Started out as every other week (alternating between Pilates & Zumba although the past few months we switched to just Pilates). It's pretty much a straight hour of just core & hips, with a little bit of shoulder work thrown in at the end. I'm astounded how strong my core is from even doing that once a week (plus the smaller core work my trainer throws in during our sessions, although we're more limited on time). We do some of the same things regularly in Pilates so it's a lot of fun to track my progress - things that used to be hard or impossible that now I can do easily.
  • madmiss
    Options
    Way to go everyone!!!

Btsm - that's quite the busy week/end you have going there ;)

I've run for 4 days straight so today when I went out I was already wiped and it decided it was going to be hot and humid - go figure - so I didn't even make it to 3 miles before pooping out. Tomorrow is supposed to be my long run day with the neighbor girl, so we'll see how I do then, I quite like running next to someone because you don't want to stop when you are tired and worn out even though you had 12 hours sleep!

Yesterday was the company Christmas party so I ate pizza and lots of chocolate and felt guilty all day until I got on the scale this am and I was down 2.2 lbs! I got back on the scale because I don't believe it., who knew chocolate was a weight loss tool Lolol
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Okay well finding out chocolate is a good weight loss tool just made my day! I bought some dark chocolate the other day but haven't had any yet. Might need to break that open later today.

I just ran 3 tough miles outside. It snowed a couple of inches, and the roads didn't get plowed, and then cars drove on it, which leaves these greasy clumps of snow on the road. It's the kind of stuff that grabs your car tires & makes it tricky to drive, and running in it isn't much better. I had planned on running 5 miles, but my form was so bad from spending most of those 3 miles needing to look at the ground right in front of my feet that I cut it short. I'm heading to the gym later to do some strength homework so I'll work in some short running intervals on the treadmill between sets.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Ran another 2 miles on the treadmill, in 1/2 mile intervals. Had 4 sets of strength exercises to do so tacked on a half mile run at the end of each. Since I was running shorter distances I ran quite a bit faster than I have been. Felt good to challenge myself.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    It was a wet group run this morning. I checked the weather radar right after getting up and saw the line of heavy rain already moving into Georgia. I got out a little earlier than usual so I could get a few miles in before everyone showed up, and before the rain came (at least I hoped). My car showed 68°F outside and it really felt nice. My goal was 10 miles today and most of the group stops at 7 - that's the distance from town center and out to one end of the greenway and back. I got out while it was still dark and ran 3.5 miles and then met the group at 7:30 to start our run. It was raining off and on while I did my solo run but stopped right at 7:30. We had a great run out to the end of the greenway. There was a warm breeze coming at us the entire way. Very humid, reminded me of late spring. We stopped short of the end because some of the group didn't want to run very far. As we turned around the sun started breaking out low in the sky. It was just for a few minutes - soon after the western sky turned very dark and the wind completely shifted direction. It was now an ice-cold wind and I was already wet and wearing a light t-shirt and shorts. As we were making our way back some light rain started, turning heavier and heavier as the wind got even worse. At the same time my pace got quicker and quicker. The last two miles were a total downpour, and as we exited the greenway and climbed up to the town center parking area, we were greeted by the full force of the wind. At that point I was at 9.7 miles so I ran up and down the road getting pelted with stinging rain until I hit 10 miles. I was glad I keep towels in the car at all times! After saying our quick goodbyes I jumped in the car and now it was showing 57°F outside. It was nice to get into some dry clothes at home.

I hope everyone stays dry and enjoys what's left of the weekend!

11497552265_027d59c768_o.jpg
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Tim, you are a rock star.