Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Tim, you are a rock star.

Aww, thanks! Among the people in our Sunday group run I feel like such a newbie. They are all very accomplished runners. I really learn a lot on those long runs.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Tim & Laura, you are both awesome!

I'm a weather-wuss, it seems. I was hoping to run outdoors today but there's still snow about on the roads & sidewalks, so I treadmilled it.
    The treadmill is set up in a sunroom and we've recently put a tv in there to try to ward off my treadmill boredom. I've been running 7.5Km/hr during the programs and 8.5Km/hr during commercial breaks. The average commercial break is 3-5 minutes long. Today, I was watching a Christmas movie and the commercial breaks were 6-8 minutes long.
    It did wonders for my time, though.....6K in 47:50. I passed 5K in 39:30. Anything under 40 minutes is great for me.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Great run, Tim, despite the weather!

Good idea Laura with interspersing the treadmill running with the weight training to mix it up a little.

I loved finding out that chocolate is a good weight loss tool!

Didn't get out early this morning for my run for various reasons. Then had to get to the dog training building for the freestyle taping. What a fiasco! Getting all ready, then having them start the wrong music. Then having the right music start, but halfway into the song. All of the dogs, not just mine, but everyone's got distracted and started wandering off during the song or quit all together. I really wish that the dogs that did the practice with me a week ago Friday had come to this taping, but they seem to have sent some substitutes in instead of them. I guess we'll try again in April. The guy who took the videos will send a copy of each dogs' performance to me, but I have little hope that either of them is good enough to submit.

Varda, here's a video of me and Free
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLNzv1pXzxY
    You have to realize that 1) Free was the dog I started freestyle with as a retirement sport for her, so I only worked with her, not the boys until this summer, and 2) we are both rank beginners at this and 3) when this was done, Free was just a couple months short of her 14th birthday.

Edited! Forgot to add my run! The purpose of this post! Anyway, because everything was upset and delayed, i didn't get in the long run that I wanted, so instead I tried to do hills. I walked down my street for 5 minutes which put me at the bottom of a hill with a gradual incline. I ran up the hill. The other side of the hill has a much sharper decline/incline. I ran slowly down it than up it as fast as I could, five times. Then I jogged down the gradual side and then walked the 5 minutes home. Hopefully that's the way to do hills. I was just guessing, but it did make me gasp for breath quite a bit.
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Great workouts everyone!!!! I ran yesterday but I'm so wiped I only got 3.5 with 2 walk breaks ;( on the plus side I ate more chocolate and lost more weight!!!! No idea what is going on. I added protein shakes to my diet on sat, not sure if that's helping this phenomenon, but I'll keep you posted!

And... Yesterday was my 5 month running anniversary!!!! ;) tonight I may bike or something, even tho all I want to do is run, even if some days I have no energy....
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I hit the gym Friday and did 10k on the elliptical, 10 minutes on the stationary bike, and 10 minutes on the rowing machine.

Saturday, I did Zumba and a circuit on the weight machines, followed by miles and miles of walking (shopping!)

The weather still sucks!
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I finally got back on and caught up on everyone’s posts. Great progress all of you! I am not tolerating my forced break very well. It’s not helping that the snow has melted away, the rain has stopped, and the last few days were perfect running weather – dry and between 50-60 degrees!

Congratulations on an Amazing year Tim! Your photos were so excellent. I love the moments you caught. But how will you run and be photographer?

Happy Anniversary Varda!!! I’m going to need your advice when I start back up running again…sounds like I might need to start with run/walk again. I love that bear picture!!!! LOL!!!

Rindy, glad to hear you are mended and getting back on track. I’m really excited for you to have found a running group! I can’t wait for mine to start up again in February.

Ceci, I’m interested to know what lap counter app you found. I can’t run, so that energy must have channeled into my driving. I got my first speeding ticket-14 miles over the limit…don’t know yet how much it will cost, but it may delay my Garmin watch purchase. ☹ Glad to hear the weather let you get back on the bike, since that seems to be your favorite activity. ☺ Sorry about your blood blister…ow! BTW, 6 miles on the elliptical is crazy!

Laura, what make and model are your new shoes? I have trouble with shoes sliding on my heel. It hasn’t caused any blisters, but they are Asics…so I’m curious. I laughed so hard reading about your “religious” experience at the running store! Maybe once I’m through all this leg business, I will treat myself to a visit to the Erie run store.

Plexgut, congratulations on your great 5K time! The commercial break speed ups sure help the monotony.

Rduhlir, your running crowd sounds a bit rowdy! LOL!

Madmiss, congratulations on your new buddy! 11.4 min/mile chatting is pretty awesome! I will be working some chocolate into my diet. It’s a macro category, right?

Btsinmd, I watched the you tube of you and Free. Wow! What teamwork! And congrats for having it all together during this hectic holiday time. I should channel some of my excess energy into organizing and planning like that! Enjoy your vacation. Hills are awesome!

Keep killing it, all of you. I’m living vicariously. Oh, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! :-)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Ceci, I’m interested to know what lap counter app you found. I can’t run, so that energy must have channeled into my driving. I got my first speeding ticket-14 miles over the limit…don’t know yet how much it will cost, but it may delay my Garmin watch purchase. ☹ Glad to hear the weather let you get back on the bike, since that seems to be your favorite activity. ☺ Sorry about your blood blister…ow! BTW, 6 miles on the elliptical is crazy!

The app I found is called "Clicker"- pretty basic! I have found that I like the elliptical better than the treadmill. I guess it's kind of a cross between running and riding?

I am so thankful for cruise control! Probably saved me from hundreds of tickets!
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Congratulations on an Amazing year Tim! Your photos were so excellent. I love the moments you caught. But how will you run and be photographer?

Thank you! I will photograph events that I would not typically run. Like the Women's 5K and the Peachtree Jr. And a handful of other smaller events. I'll run the three major Atlanta Track Club events where Marathonfoto will already be there. I wanted to volunteer next year anyway so I think this is a good way to give back (I'm not charging much for my services in exchange for free entry in ATC events for my wife & I).
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Started training for my next 10k today, it's only 14 weeks away, yikes! It's come round so quickly.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Laura, what make and model are your new shoes? I have trouble with shoes sliding on my heel. It hasn’t caused any blisters, but they are Asics…so I’m curious. I laughed so hard reading about your “religious” experience at the running store! Maybe once I’m through all this leg business, I will treat myself to a visit to the Erie run store.

I posted on your wall too, but I bought Mizuno Wave 14. I have the same problem in the heel with my Asics. The Mizuno are narrower through the middle of the foot, and they're more rigid than the Asics, but still fairly lightweight. I like a secure fit with my shoe and I'm liking them so far.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    I posted on your wall too, but I bought Mizuno Wave 14. I have the same problem in the heel with my Asics. The Mizuno are narrower through the middle of the foot, and they're more rigid than the Asics, but still fairly lightweight. I like a secure fit with my shoe and I'm liking them so far.

I'm going to try those out early next year. I like the fit of Mizuno's for my narrow feet and they are a bit more responsive (stiffer). Adidas has a few models I want to try too.
  • bttrthanevr
    Options

Thank you! I will photograph events that I would not typically run. Like the Women's 5K and the Peachtree Jr. And a handful of other smaller events. I'll run the three major Atlanta Track Club events where Marathonfoto will already be there. I wanted to volunteer next year anyway so I think this is a good way to give back (I'm not charging much for my services in exchange for free entry in ATC events for my wife & I).

What a great idea! Nice!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options

That's what the run shop fitted my daughter for...different salesperson. I will have to check those out.
  • bttrthanevr
    Options

The app I found is called "Clicker"- pretty basic! I have found that I like the elliptical better than the treadmill. I guess it's kind of a cross between running and riding?

I am so thankful for cruise control! Probably saved me from hundreds of tickets!

My first thought was "Why didn't I set cruise control?!" Doh.
    I will check out clicker, thanks!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    We had our Secret Santa at work on Thursday. I got running socks as part of my present! Was really pleased that someone had put a bit of thought into it.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    We had our Secret Santa at work on Thursday. I got running socks as part of my present! Was really pleased that someone had put a bit of thought into it.

Nice!

We had ours Monday last week, and the results were mixed. Some people obviously put a lot of thought into it and others clearly didn't. I got a new pair of work slippers and a really nice glass water bottle with a rubber protective sleeve. The water bottle is too heavy to haul around on a workout, but is perfect for getting my water in at work.
  • timeasterday
    Options

That's cool! We used to do Secret Santa but now we just draw numbers and grab unmarked gifts. We have the option to steal someone else's or pick a new gift. Someone stole mine and I ended up with the last remaining gift. It was a $15 Dunkin Donuts gift card and five lottery scratch-offs. One of the tickets was a $25 winner so I came out ahead.

Right now I'm enjoying some salted caramel biscotti with my coffee as I prepare for a short morning run. Tonight the local running store is having a "Jingle Jog" where we run through the neighborhoods with lights and jingle bells. Should be fun!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options

That's awesome! You know you are a runner when...you get excited about socks for Christmas!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    7 miles, 5 of which were 10.26 to 10.50 - so happy!!!! Never done this before at that "caliber" lol for that distance, and set a new pb for 3 miles - 31.21 which is a 50 second improvement!!!!! Did I mention I'm so happy!!!!

Also - if you eat chocolate and do not run, you will gain .2 lbs ;) lol merry Christmas everyone!!!!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I'll come say hi at the PT Junior ????