Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    BTW - Since I cyber-stalk Mark Remy (he encourages it), I ran across these stats on his website:

"Mark has been a runner since 1994 and has run 24 marathons (including six Bostons) with a personal record of 2:46. He has run 1:16 for the half-marathon and 16:29 for the 5K. (Note: All of those PR’s were run in 1999; see The Runner’s Rule Book, Rule 1.51.)"

Note that his PRs were set 5 years after he started running.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Just bought a pair of Mizuno Wave Sayonaras to get closer to the feel that my old PureFlows provided. I also tried on something totally mimalist by New Balance, which was a lot of fun and makes me wish that I had an unlimited shoe budget.
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm having motivation issues being stuck on the treadmill. I ran outside on Saturday, and did 3 miles with no issues at all. Today I ran 3.5 miles on the treadmill and I had to take a couple of walking breaks. I can't seem to go more than 1.5 miles on the treadmill without having to take a walking break. I have it set at 0 incline and am huffing and puffing at a 15 min/mile pace. I run outside for 3 miles at 13:30 and no huffing and puffing at all even on the hills. I just don't get it. I keep running because I love it. I do not even like running when it's on the treadmill. I've been incorporating riding on an exercise bike as cross training, but there have been days I opt for that instead of the treadmill. I can't wait until spring!!!

A week ago I wasn't able to meet up with the running group as it was too slick to run. Even several of the marathon runners wouldn't risk it. I had to work a few hours Saturday morning this week and wasn't able to run until afternoon. So hopefully I'll be able to run with them next Saturday.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Just bought a pair of Mizuno Wave Sayonaras to get closer to the feel that my old PureFlows provided. I also tried on something totally mimalist by New Balance, which was a lot of fun and makes me wish that I had an unlimited shoe budget.

I hear a lot of good things about the Sayonaras. Today I received a pair of New Balance Minimus 00's. Got them at a huge discount from Joe's New Balance Outlet. The shoes are incredibly light and comfortable. Heck of a deal for just $35. Can't wait to take them to the track Wednesday and test them out.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Working on my 2014 running plan. Pretty much done: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_WFiqu1-lm7WnhSVFZLQ2xjOVU/edit?usp=sharing
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I think the ones I looked at were the Minimus 10v2 Trail shoes. They were amazing...just not what I'm looking for right now.

ETA - can't see your running plan.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    I think the ones I looked at were the Minimus 10v2 Trail shoes. They were amazing...just not what I'm looking for right now.

ETA - can't see your running plan.

I think I fixed the sharing on that file. At least my wife can see it.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I'm having motivation issues being stuck on the treadmill. I ran outside on Saturday, and did 3 miles with no issues at all. Today I ran 3.5 miles on the treadmill and I had to take a couple of walking breaks. I can't seem to go more than 1.5 miles on the treadmill without having to take a walking break. I have it set at 0 incline and am huffing and puffing at a 15 min/mile pace. I run outside for 3 miles at 13:30 and no huffing and puffing at all even on the hills. I just don't get it. I keep running because I love it. I do not even like running when it's on the treadmill. I've been incorporating riding on an exercise bike as cross training, but there have been days I opt for that instead of the treadmill. I can't wait until spring!!!

I trained on the treadmill last winter and had no problems at all (also no comparison to running outdoors). This winter, it's been a struggle to keep motivated on the treadmill. I huff & puff more, sweat more (even with the outer door open, letting in the cold air), I want to run slower (but have been good so far at keeping my pace up) and I have to concentrate really hard not to look at the time.
    My husband put a small TV in the room so that I could watch something to keep my mind away from the timer on the treadmill. It works a bit but I can't wait until spring either. I run outside as often as possible.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on running 10 miles Laura! That's an awesome goal!

I had my first "long" run since the middle of October on Sunday. It was 6km and I really struggled. The first 2km were on the flat, then there was a steep hill for about 0.5km and another gentler uphill for 1.5km after that. I thought the hill would never end! At the 4km point it was downhill for 1.5km before climbing back up for the final half km. I think next time I'll run it the other way round and see if it is easier that way!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    congrats on the shoe purchases :) new shoes are always fun!!!!

I did the 10 miles in my new minimalist merrels - (which I traded my new balance minimalists for). I bought them specifically for long distance and they did great yesterday! A little bit of a bruised toenail on left foot middle toe - but I didn't feel it hitting the end or anything, so I guess I just have wierd toes lol I'm so happy to know that theoretically I can do a half now - come on Feb 8th!!! I asked my hubby for entry fee for it for my birthday in a week - he said sure!!! So awesome!
  • timeasterday
    Options
    10 miles in minimal shoes? Wow! I'm going to slowly start working in mine, just a mile or two at a time until I get more used to them. I'm sure it will take me a long time to get up to 10 miles in those shoes. In the meantime I'm switching my long run shoes to something neutral. Going to get away from any pronation control.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I ran a mile on the treadmill today, faster than I usually do (5.3 speed with 1.0 incline). I was aiming for 2 miles but I was dressed way too hot for running at the gym (full length tights & a cotton t-shirt) and my face was dripping. I cut it short thinking I would run a second mile after my trainer session but he suggested I bike instead, so I did not argue. Will get a longer run in Wednesday.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

A week ago I wasn't able to meet up with the running group as it was too slick to run. Even several of the marathon runners wouldn't risk it. I had to work a few hours Saturday morning this week and wasn't able to run until afternoon. So hopefully I'll be able to run with them next Saturday.

I really struggled with it too. I finally decided it was the belt moving - it impacts your stride so I was fighting against that. I didn't feel like I had control over my speed either - when I stop running outside the ground does not keep moving under me. Finally, at 1.5 miles outside I always hit a point where I'm tired but that goes away by the time I get to 2 miles, so when I'm feeling tired on the treadmill I decide it's the same thing and push through. My trainer has me use a 1.0 incline (it's easier on your hips) so try that - I know it sounds like it should be harder but it might make the movement more natural for you. I bump it up for my warm-up walk too so I'm used to that incline before I start running, then for my cool-down walk I do drop the incline back down to 0.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

My new treadmill running shoes are Mizuno Wave 14. Now that I've had a few runs in I really like them.
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I really struggled with it too. I finally decided it was the belt moving - it impacts your stride so I was fighting against that. I didn't feel like I had control over my speed either - when I stop running outside the ground does not keep moving under me. Finally, at 1.5 miles outside I always hit a point where I'm tired but that goes away by the time I get to 2 miles, so when I'm feeling tired on the treadmill I decide it's the same thing and push through. My trainer has me use a 1.0 incline (it's easier on your hips) so try that - I know it sounds like it should be harder but it might make the movement more natural for you. I bump it up for my warm-up walk too so I'm used to that incline before I start running, then for my cool-down walk I do drop the incline back down to 0.

Thanks for the suggestion Laura. I'll give that a try next time.
  • madmiss
    Options
    10 miles in minimal shoes? Wow! I'm going to slowly start working in mine, just a mile or two at a time until I get more used to them. I'm sure it will take me a long time to get up to 10 miles in those shoes. In the meantime I'm switching my long run shoes to something neutral. Going to get away from any pronation control.

I run only in minimalist since I bought my five fingers - my first run was 4 miles in them and I never looked back after that ;) you are supposed to go slow and small amounts, but I never listen to anyone - apparently I am stubborn ;). I tried to run in my newtons twice since then. It my calves hurt, I pronated in and out all over the place and I lost about a minute of time per mile, I can barely walk in the newtons anymore, it's crazy. It feels so much better to be close to the ground. To give you insight, my five fingers have 4mm of sole, my merrells have 8mm. I can happily run 7 miles in the five fingers but not much more, my foot "pads" start to get sore, but I think I could run a half marathon in the merrells no problem - they didn't hurt one bit and if felt great today - I'm happy I made the switch...

So is everyone running on New Year's Day? What's everyone's new year running plan to start the new year off ;)
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Repeated the Thursday run today. My sisters, my dogs, and I did Day 3 Week 1 on C25K and then Cathy and Colin went inside while the rest of us ran for another 40 minutes. Beautiful sunny day today with a temp of 38 degrees F, 10 degrees higher than Thursday. Yesterday, Linda and I did a brisk walk with the dogs for 40 minutes. My dogs are loving this vacation.

How's Cathy doing with C25K? Do you think she'll want to keep going?
    I'm hoping. I really tried to talk it up and tell her all about the different options to get the program off of the computer. She doesn't have a phone that can run apps, so she needs it in mp3 form or just paper form with a stop watch. She admitted that the third day was much easier than the first. It's up to her now.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options

I run only in minimalist since I bought my five fingers - my first run was 4 miles in them and I never looked back after that ;) you are supposed to go slow and small amounts, but I never listen to anyone - apparently I am stubborn ;). I tried to run in my newtons twice since then. It my calves hurt, I pronated in and out all over the place and I lost about a minute of time per mile, I can barely walk in the newtons anymore, it's crazy. It feels so much better to be close to the ground. To give you insight, my five fingers have 4mm of sole, my merrells have 8mm. I can happily run 7 miles in the five fingers but not much more, my foot "pads" start to get sore, but I think I could run a half marathon in the merrells no problem - they didn't hurt one bit and if felt great today - I'm happy I made the switch...

So is everyone running on New Year's Day? What's everyone's new year running plan to start the new year off ;)

Congratulations on the 10 mile run!

I love my 5 fingers, but don't do more than a mile or two with them. I'm so afraid of aggravating my right knee.

I'm going to try to get to a race on New Years day, just an informal one from the local running store.

Question: I was still hurting my knee with the running shoes I bought. When I brought them in, it was pointed out that they could see the uneven wear on the right shoe and recommended SuperFeet insoles (orange). I put them in and the knee has improved to rarely bothering me. I also increased my water aerobics/swimming and did consistent stretching after my runs, so they might not be the only factor. However, ever since I first started using them, I "felt" them in my left foot. A pressure at the highest part of the arch in my foot. It went from feeling it, to slightly bothersome, to ow! during the months as I continued to use them. Just before I went up to my parents' house for the holidays I put the original insole back into my left foot and after a couple of days, including two runs, the pain in the arch of my foot went away. Now I have brand new shoes and brand new SuperFeet insoles in them. I'd like to, right from the beginning, have the SuperFeet insole in my right foot and the original to the shoe insole in the left foot, but the guy at the running store didn't think it was a good idea. He said I should be balanced. I don't like balanced and I don't see the problem in just trying it. What do you think?
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Repeated the Thursday run today. My sisters, my dogs, and I did Day 3 Week 1 on C25K and then Cathy and Colin went inside while the rest of us ran for another 40 minutes. Beautiful sunny day today with a temp of 38 degrees F, 10 degrees higher than Thursday. Yesterday, Linda and I did a brisk walk with the dogs for 40 minutes. My dogs are loving this vacation.

How's Cathy doing with C25K? Do you think she'll want to keep going?
    I'm hoping. I really tried to talk it up and tell her all about the different options to get the program off of the computer. She doesn't have a phone that can run apps, so she needs it in mp3 form or just paper form with a stop watch. She admitted that the third day was much easier than the first. It's up to her now.

I first did C25K the summer of 2012 and just used the Cool Running schedule I found online & my Timex watch (which had a timer on it).
  • madmiss
    Options

Congratulations on the 10 mile run!

I love my 5 fingers, but don't do more than a mile or two with them. I'm so afraid of aggravating my right knee.

I'm going to try to get to a race on New Years day, just an informal one from the local running store.

Question: I was still hurting my knee with the running shoes I bought. When I brought them in, it was pointed out that they could see the uneven wear on the right shoe and recommended SuperFeet insoles (orange). I put them in and the knee has improved to rarely bothering me. I also increased my water aerobics/swimming and did consistent stretching after my runs, so they might not be the only factor. However, ever since I first started using them, I "felt" them in my left foot. A pressure at the highest part of the arch in my foot. It went from feeling it, to slightly bothersome, to ow! during the months as I continued to use them. Just before I went up to my parents' house for the holidays I put the original insole back into my left foot and after a couple of days, including two runs, the pain in the arch of my foot went away. Now I have brand new shoes and brand new SuperFeet insoles in them. I'd like to, right from the beginning, have the SuperFeet insole in my right foot and the original to the shoe insole in the left foot, but the guy at the running store didn't think it was a good idea. He said I should be balanced. I don't like balanced and I don't see the problem in just trying it. What do you think?

I have a similar issue, I run in custom made orthodics from my 2 foot surgeries on my R foot. It feels super comfy in my 5 fingers, but in my merrels I really feel it on the left arch and it's somewhat annoying, but not sure how annoying right now. Mine are solid plastic inserts that go halfway from heel to front of foot and I know I have a longer leg / misaligned hip, but not sure which one so I often wonder if I could just run in the right one. I haven't tried it, but I'm sure if it didn't hurt you (ie forcing one leg higher or something) then it would be ok - but I haven't yet had the courage to do it and risk tweaking a hip or leg. But if it's unfomfortable and you can't run in them on one foot you are likely already favoring that foot and are looking at the possibility of a tweak injury - just my .02c