Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My kids graduated c25k today! Woke up to a beautiful sunny day and knew we'd get the final run done. Ran through the woods with our dog and it was very wet and muddy. My daughter lost one of her trainers in a deep patch of mud and almost got knocked over by a boisterous dog but she kept going and didn't complain! Ended the run covered in mud and celebrated with chocolate cake and a hot shower. My son ran 4.13km and my daughter ran 3.7km. The challenge now is to keep them motivated to run with me at least once a week.

This is so incredibly awesome!!!! I hope they catch the "bug"!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    On facebook, today, a friend, Beth, posted her run. Beth's friend, Sara, mentioned that she was struggling through C25k and Beth offered her support. including saying that one of the things that helped keep her motivated was that a friend told her that running didn't have to be fast.

I dropped in with some advice and it turned out that the "friend" that Beth had mentioned was me! I was really flattered. Between kids and friends and each other, it's really astounding at the effect that just this group is having on the people around us. I'm happy to be a part of something so good!

I love this!!!! <3<3<3 That particular facebook Beth wasn't me, but it could have been. It was your slow down and straighten up advice that got me through week 4 and 5 of C25K! I've passed your sage advice along many times since!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    well, since everyone else is talking about how they did in 2013, I did 247.5 miles in 5 months! I'm pretty dang pleased with that!!! Can't wait to see how 2014 goes!!! They just announced a new half marathon - a hot chocolate one - the weekend after the one I am going to do, and it's dirt cheap, like $40!!! (which is what you pay for most 5Ks around here). Wondering if I can handle 2 halfs on back to back weekends :)

Most impressive, madmiss!!!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I desperately wanted to run outside today but the warmest it got before I had to leave for a family party was -9 with a -21 wind chill, and I'm not that brave, so I opted to stop at the gym on the way home. Just wasn't feeling it today. Walked a quarter mile to warm up, ran 2 miles, walked another quarter mile, ran 1 more mile, then walked a half mile & stopped. Was hoping to run 4, but settled for 3 running & 1 walking. My IT bands have been sore just above my knees so my trainer gave me a new stretch for that. I made sure to stretch well & get on the foam roller after my run.

Wowie, that's cold! I wouldn't go out in that either. What kind of stretch are you doing? I've been having some IT band pain too and trying some different stretches.

Let's see if I can describe this in a way that makes sense. Ha. I start in a seated hamstring stretch - so right leg straight with my left foot flush against the inside of my right thigh. I put my left hand on the outside of my right knee, make sure my toes are pointed up toward the ceiling, and twist my upper body gently to the right. You should feel it right above the knee (if I don't my toes aren't pointed up enough).
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    My kids graduated c25k today! Woke up to a beautiful sunny day and knew we'd get the final run done. Ran through the woods with our dog and it was very wet and muddy. My daughter lost one of her trainers in a deep patch of mud and almost got knocked over by a boisterous dog but she kept going and didn't complain! Ended the run covered in mud and celebrated with chocolate cake and a hot shower. My son ran 4.13km and my daughter ran 3.7km. The challenge now is to keep them motivated to run with me at least once a week.

Congratulations! Your daughter sounds like she's got a fierce spirit - I love it!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Today I wanted my run to be about distance; not time. I set out to see if I could run 7K without walk breaks.
    I did it! I ran 7K in 60:36. Then I was a bit disappointed at the time.....then I was astounded because I'd just run an hour straight!! An hour!! I couldn't have imagined that a year ago. I'm very pleased with myself today.

Today was also my first ever in-the-rain run.......I need a hat. :ohwell:

Congrats on running for an hour! The first time I did that all I could think was that I started at 60 seconds and had moved up to 60 minutes, and how amazing that was. The hat is a must in the rain, if only to keep it off your face.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Let's see if I can describe this in a way that makes sense. Ha. I start in a seated hamstring stretch - so right leg straight with my left foot flush against the inside of my right thigh. I put my left hand on the outside of my right knee, make sure my toes are pointed up toward the ceiling, and twist my upper body gently to the right. You should feel it right above the knee (if I don't my toes aren't pointed up enough).

Thanks! I'll give that one a try. I've been doing the three stretches shown in the link below with "OK" results. I still get occasional soreness/tightness that comes and goes.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/stretching-and-strengthening-exercises-iliotibial-band-syndrome
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Today I wanted my run to be about distance; not time. I set out to see if I could run 7K without walk breaks.
    I did it! I ran 7K in 60:36. Then I was a bit disappointed at the time.....then I was astounded because I'd just run an hour straight!! An hour!! I couldn't have imagined that a year ago. I'm very pleased with myself today.

Today was also my first ever in-the-rain run.......I need a hat. :ohwell:

I'm so happy for you too!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

Thanks! I'll give that one a try. I've been doing the three stretches shown in the link below with "OK" results. I still get occasional soreness/tightness that comes and goes.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/stretching-and-strengthening-exercises-iliotibial-band-syndrome

I do something similar to stretch #2, but haven't tried the others. Will attempt them when I get home tonight. Thanks for the link.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I went out for a 5-mile run today after work. It was 33°F and a little windy but the sun was shining bright. The greenway was pretty deserted. I started out with 2 miles to warm up then 2 miles at 7:40 pace then a mile to cool down. Those fast two miles were pretty hard. I was hoping to get a 23-minute 5K next month but I'm not sure I can hold that pace another mile. Still got about 6 weeks before that 5K. I need 23:01 or better to get into Wave A at the Peachtree Road Race.

I was questioning my decision to do legs in the gym on Thursday because I was pretty sore during that run. I may have to move leg day to Monday, but that's the day after my long run so I'm not sure what's better. Mon & Thu are my gym days.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! We have even colder air on the way!!
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I missed my 3 mile run yesterday, but I got in 2 miles today on the treadmill. I wanted to keep it short today since I'm running tomorrow with the running group and haven't done much with two days in a row of running yet. I set the incline to 1% and my calves felt better. I've struggled really bad with the treadmill in the past, but today I didn't have to take any walking breaks.

Last month I didn't even get in half the miles I did in November and I'm sure that has something to do with my struggle. I'll probably be spending most of this month getting back to where I was at the beginning of last month, but I'll get there.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I went out for a 5-mile run today after work. It was 33°F and a little windy but the sun was shining bright. The greenway was pretty deserted. I started out with 2 miles to warm up then 2 miles at 7:40 pace then a mile to cool down. Those fast two miles were pretty hard. I was hoping to get a 23-minute 5K next month but I'm not sure I can hold that pace another mile. Still got about 6 weeks before that 5K. I need 23:01 or better to get into Wave A at the Peachtree Road Race.

I was questioning my decision to do legs in the gym on Thursday because I was pretty sore during that run. I may have to move leg day to Monday, but that's the day after my long run so I'm not sure what's better. Mon & Thu are my gym days.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! We have even colder air on the way!!

This is a great Long Distance Runners question.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I missed my 3 mile run yesterday, but I got in 2 miles today on the treadmill. I wanted to keep it short today since I'm running tomorrow with the running group and haven't done much with two days in a row of running yet. I set the incline to 1% and my calves felt better. I've struggled really bad with the treadmill in the past, but today I didn't have to take any walking breaks.

Last month I didn't even get in half the miles I did in November and I'm sure that has something to do with my struggle. I'll probably be spending most of this month getting back to where I was at the beginning of last month, but I'll get there.

Glad your run felt better today!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It's freezing 4 hrs south too Tim, holy cow!

Tequilla + new running socks + guilt of no morning exercise in 2 days = interesting 8pm 31 degrees 2 mile run I may have pneumonia tomorrow, but my mile times were actually pretty good for being fueled by Mexican food and margarita salt!!!!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Just like your chocolate-based weight loss plan, are you starting a new runner's fueling program? :laugh:
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Tequila makes me mean, so I'm going to have to stick with the chocolate diet for now.

I ran 10K this morning. Cold this morning but it's just going to get colder as the day goes on, so I was on the road at 6:45. Different route than usual because sunrise isn't until 7:55 and I wanted street lights, which my usual route doesn't have. It snowed 3" last night, but my Yaktrax worked great. I ran down to a stretch of road that's just over a mile long - ran down & back the whole thing twice & repeated a shorter section a third time, then ran back to my starting point. Had an average pace of 13:30, which is my best pace yet in the snow (I've been averaging just over 14). When I finished the first full loop of the road I really just wanted to come home - I was running into the wind at that point and my legs were so tired from running on the snow - but I turned around for my second loop and I was fine after that. I usually like a long cool-down walk but just did a 5 minute one today, followed by a little shoveling when I got home.
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Well, I'm now 8 miles into the running new year! Thanks to encouragement from my lovely running mfp friends, I layered up and ran outside in the sunny cold. Runtastic said 23 degrees again, but I think that might have been the temp in my pocket, LOL! Weather.com said 8 degrees. YakTraks rule, by the way! My footing felt completely secure on all terrains, packed snow, ankle high loose powder, and icy, gravelly bare patches. Someone had plowed the trail. Nice! It was still snowy, but just a thin packed layer. The parts of my run on the roads (probably 2/3 of the run) was on loose dirty powdery stuff. It was dismally slow...13 min pace. I was working SO hard. I worry that I've lost speed, but actually I think I can blame the footing. Eventhough it felt secure, as in no fear of falling, your feet kind of slip or slide backwards a bit with every stride on that loose dirty stuff. It's like running in sand.

Laura, just think how awesome and easy it will be once we can run on clear roads again! Happy thought!!!!

Rindy, glad to hear your treadmill run went better this last time. Obvoiusly, I am doing everything in power to avoid the mill! LOL! Kudos to you for fighting it out! Enjoy your run with the group. :-)

Madmiss, you are one crazy gal! LOL! I love your spirit! But 31 degrees is balmy in my book!

Tim, your progress last year in spite of injury, inspires me!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Glad to see everyone getting back into it after the festivities! Today I had to do a 5k run and the weather was great (slightly overcast and 4°C which is a lot better than the storms and flooding that the rest of the country is getting!) I decided it was the perfect day for my kids to run their first 5k! I chose an easy route, the first km was uphill but they had ran it several times during c25k, and the rest of it was downhill/flat. They ran it straight through, no complaining, no walking, in 43 minutes.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    It was dismally slow...13 min pace. I was working SO hard. I worry that I've lost speed, but actually I think I can blame the footing. Eventhough it felt secure, as in no fear of falling, your feet kind of slip or slide backwards a bit with every stride on that loose dirty stuff. It's like running in sand.

Laura, just think how awesome and easy it will be once we can run on clear roads again! Happy thought!!!!

Your pace running in snow is going to be slower. I've been averaging 14 minute miles in the snow. Got that down to 13:30 today and was super happy with that. Don't worry about losing speed because of your couple weeks of recovery - running in the snow is harder so it's going to be slower. I've never actually run in sand, but I imagine that's what it's like.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Glad to see everyone getting back into it after the festivities! Today I had to do a 5k run and the weather was great (slightly overcast and 4°C which is a lot better than the storms and flooding that the rest of the country is getting!) I decided it was the perfect day for my kids to run their first 5k! I chose an easy route, the first km was uphill but they had ran it several times during c25k, and the rest of it was downhill/flat. They ran it straight through, no complaining, no walking, in 43 minutes.

That is phenomenal! You must be so proud of them.