Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Tim, that's a wonderful pace!

Madmiss, hope you feel better quick.

Laura, I'm looking forward to hearing about your half marathon training. It's very inspiring to hear such great progress.

joedfro, super pace!

All of your paces keep me trying harder to bring my time down, too.

My body seems to have moved forward a step this past couple of weeks. I'm running longer distances with no discernable extra effort. Before when I tried running longer distances, I felt worn out but not this past couple of weeks.
    Today, I ran 6K on the treadmill in 51 minutes.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Your granddaughter is so cute Ceci!

I managed to motivate myself enough to do some weightlifting yesterday. I made the mistake of picking up where I left off 3 weeks ago rather than dropping back a bit. I am so sore today! Couldn't even pick up my towel off the floor after my shower today! Did an uphill 4k run today and it was a real struggle but I was only 10 seconds outside my target pace so I was happy with that in the end.

LOL!!!! (About the towel) Congrats on the hill run!!! Woot! Woot!
  • bttrthanevr

My body seems to have moved forward a step this past couple of weeks. I'm running longer distances with no discernable extra effort. Before when I tried running longer distances, I felt worn out but not this past couple of weeks.

This is awesome, plexgut! Isn't it a wonderful feeling when you get real evidence of your commitment paying off?
  • bttrthanevr
    Finally hit 30 degrees...sooo... 50 minutes @ 10:03 per mile...

Woo weeee! Awesome, Joe! I want to do that some day. And you are just STARTING your speedwork, LOL!
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    bttr...lol, actually this is phase 1 general..i think its base building

11v3ci1.png

looks like jan 27th starts speed work

thanks plex and bttr for the motivational kind words and 8:36 is phenomenal
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    I got distracted...I forgot to tell you about my run tonight! I'm getting faster! I forgot my headphones, so I was running without music. I thought that might suck, BUT my first mile was 8:36! I was working hard and pushing a bit, but not going all out. My second mile I got a stitch and I tried to very consciously back off the pace, but I still ran 3 miles in just under 32 mins! I'm so happy!!! I just have to pinch myself! That first mile was 45 seconds FASTER than the mile intervals I was doing before my leg procedures. Apparently no music=faster me! Now, if only races were on completely flat climate controlled courses...;-)

That's a fantastic pace!! You are definitely getting faster! I still get a stitch pretty often when I am pushing a fast pace. I really have to focus on my breathing and try to breathe from my core. Keep up the good work!
  • timeasterday
    Finally hit 30 degrees...sooo... 50 minutes @ 10:03 per mile...

Nice work!!
  • timeasterday

Great job!! That's a good sign you are improving your fitness.
  • timeasterday
    I'm kinda glad I don't have the body health to run today!!!! It was freezing - I hate being sick tho, I'm running on Thursday regardless - my body has one day to get this snot out ;) especially since I ate so much yesterday - I feel gross not running ;(

Glad you're loving the new shoes Tim! Everyone is doing great!!!

Hope you feel better soon! At least the temps are finally coming up. Pretty warm by Saturday!
  • timeasterday
    One thing I forgot to mention from yesterday's run - I hit an average cadence of 193. Usually I am just under 180, or if doing a long slow run it is more like 165-170. Minimal shoes really do make you turnover your strides quicker! And with the extra data I get from the Garmin 620 I noticed a big decrease in vertical oscillation (I wasn't bouncing up and down as much) and ground contact time. Hopefully this leads to more efficient running and less injuries but we will see as I get more miles in those shoes.
  • joedfro
    too scared to try minimalist shoes...i have been running in Nike Free 3.0 (they are super cheap) so cpngrats Tim...I kinda get lost in all that cadence and oscillation jive...

Well...26 degrees this morning and less than 12 hours after my last 50 minute run, but with threat of more freezing rain today decided to hit my scheduled 50 minutes this morning...little slower @10:28 but still running by feel..wanna keep the easy runs easy...ran with a bacalave today and by the end felt like my head was on fire.

4.8 miles

292lnp0.jpg

2q3od2c.jpg

If any of you watch the travel channel, this is the street featured on one of those ghost shows where they have the investigator and the "medium" about the shadow people.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    You all make me feel like a slacker. What a speedy, motivated group!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    One thing I forgot to mention from yesterday's run - I hit an average cadence of 193. Usually I am just under 180, or if doing a long slow run it is more like 165-170. Minimal shoes really do make you turnover your strides quicker! And with the extra data I get from the Garmin 620 I noticed a big decrease in vertical oscillation (I wasn't bouncing up and down as much) and ground contact time. Hopefully this leads to more efficient running and less injuries but we will see as I get more miles in those shoes.

They are awesome because they keep you closer to the ground, which makes everything better somehow - form, speed, etc :)

That's AWESOME BETH!!!

I'm still sick, I'm so mad, I'm going to run on my birthday tomorrow even if I have to walk half the way :( I have 10ks and half marathon training to do, why doesn't my body get that? :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member

I am so proud of you, Petra! Happy tears. It's amazing how your body can suddenly adapt to running like that :)
  • likitisplit

That all sounds powerful, Tim!
  • likitisplit
    LOL, madmiss. Good luck on the run!

Joe - Love that graph. Nice even pace.
  • bttrthanevr
    Lot's o' good stuff on here tonight with the exception of madmiss's post. I'm so sorry you are still sick. Happy Early Birthday!!! I totally understand your desire to run if only a little, but take care of yourself. You don't want to make it worse and then lose even more time.

Nice graphs, Joe!

Excellent report, Tim!

You guys have me all intrigued with the minimal shoe talk. I currently am all trussed up with all manner of corrective devices...hmm...

Laura! PSHAW!! You are the LAST person I would accuse of slacking!
  • joedfro
    yeah, bttr...i spent some time reading about cadence and wondering if i need to pay more attention to it.. i will say i am a roll out of bed, strap closest shoes on and head out the door kinda guy.

i have a long stride, but i don't have any pain or discomfort, so i am not sure changing cadence is that great of an idea for me. guess i should break down and make the drive to a running store.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member

I am so proud of you, Petra! Happy tears. It's amazing how your body can suddenly adapt to running like that :)

Thanks, Varda. That means a lot. Running changes so many things in one's life and I'm glad I met this great group of dedicated people.
  • timeasterday
    Had a great track workout with the group last night. I haven't worked out with them since before Thanksgiving. Our coach had us doing 16 reps of 200m with a 200m jog in between. It was a 6:30 pace on each interval. My wife is still building back up slowly after taking a month off so the coach was nice enough to run with her as they did some slow 400m intervals. She seems to be all healed up after her stress reaction issue in her tibia. Now I'm having some issues with pain on the inside of my shin. I've had this before and I'm pretty sure (and so was the doctor back then) that it's the posterior tibial tendon acting up. I had a bruise appear on my shin after Sunday's long run and again after last night's workout. I definitely need to slow things down for a while and figure out what's causing this again. In the past it would get painful for a week or two and then just go away. And it happened every time I changed my running routine or added mileage (which I am doing now).