Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Treadmill run tonight after my trainer workout. Last week the treadmill kind of kicked my butt so I was a little nervous, but it felt good tonight. I was going to run 2 miles, Jason told me to run 2.25, and I ran 2.5. My cousin was running next to me (he got into the same HM I did - this will be his 2nd year) and even though he was running at a 6.5 and I was running at a 5.3 we had a matching cadence. He is a foot taller than me and half my age. But 5.3 (1.0 incline) is the fastest I've run that distance so I was really happy with that. Body felt nice and relaxed.
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    GO TEAM LAURA!!!!!! So happy for you!!!!!

Ran 4 miles today on a new track, in a circle, 1 mile a loop. Didn't love it, didn't hate it, felt wierd wierd wierd running on concrete... I usually run right on the road, without any ups and downs, and no turns to speak of really.... I may go back for some more torture tomorrow ;)
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    GO TEAM LAURA!!!!!! So happy for you!!!!!

Ran 4 miles today on a new track, in a circle, 1 mile a loop. Didn't love it, didn't hate it, felt wierd wierd wierd running on concrete... I usually run right on the road, without any ups and downs, and no turns to speak of really.... I may go back for some more torture tomorrow ;)

Thanks!

That's a dang big track if it's 1 mile a loop. Do you alternate which way you run around it since you are turning?
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    My first outside run since Mid-December!

2-24-2014_zps784a075d.jpg

:happy:
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Great runs Laura, madmiss, and Ceci!!

Rest day for me today. Sooo sore from yesterday's gym workout!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Great pace!

My 3rd pair of Brooks Ghosts arrived today, also the wrong size! I phoned customer service yet again and she offered to re-order them for me!! Seriously?? My back up pair of Saucony Powergrid Triumphs arrived yesterday, I ordered the 2011 model as they were really cheap and will do for now. Wore them for a workout in my home gym (garage!!) and I'm not 100% sold on them but will need to run in them tomorrow to see how they feel.
  • madmiss
    Options

Great pace!

My 3rd pair of Brooks Ghosts arrived today, also the wrong size! I phoned customer service yet again and she offered to re-order them for me!! Seriously?? My back up pair of Saucony Powergrid Triumphs arrived yesterday, I ordered the 2011 model as they were really cheap and will do for now. Wore them for a workout in my home gym (garage!!) and I'm not 100% sold on them but will need to run in them tomorrow to see how they feel.

I would be cancelling my order and going with a different company - that's shameful! It can't be that hard to read a box label lol I'm sorry Romy!!

Great run Ceci!

Laura - I haven't yet, but I may yet today. Still debating going back there for more torture or going to run class - lol
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Great pace!

Seriously? That is not cool at all. I'm glad you have a backup pair of shoes.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Treadmill run tonight after my trainer workout. Last week the treadmill kind of kicked my butt so I was a little nervous, but it felt good tonight. I was going to run 2 miles, Jason told me to run 2.25, and I ran 2.5. My cousin was running next to me (he got into the same HM I did - this will be his 2nd year) and even though he was running at a 6.5 and I was running at a 5.3 we had a matching cadence. He is a foot taller than me and half my age. But 5.3 (1.0 incline) is the fastest I've run that distance so I was really happy with that. Body felt nice and relaxed.

Cadence is everything! Or at least it seems to be the key for me. Once I picked up my cadence regardless of actual pace evrything went better. I was less tired, less sore, and faster! Yay, Laura!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options

Great pace!

Unbelievable, Romy! They should be sending you a free pair! (But only once they confirm the right width!!!) Geez!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Tonight was my first run as a running coach. I'm still processing it. I feel a huge but pleasing sense of responsibility toward the women I am coaching. My co-coach and I haven't "bonded", but I'll work on that. In the meantime, I am thinking about how to help my women achieve their goals and have a good time getting there. :-)
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    Congrats bttr and best of luck....

I ran my first trail tonight.... 4 miles @ 10:16ish.... Calves are smoked from correcting a lot from the uneven terrain.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Romy that's irritating about your shoes -- especially since as I recall you were pretty sure they were going to be wrong.

Beth great job! I have no doubt you will bond with your co-coach. Otherwise we can straighten her out for you if you want. (I'm mostly joking....)

Joe I did a very short trail run last year & can't wait to do more of it this year. I physically could have run further than I did but I let myself be intimidated by how hilly the trail was. At the moment my favorite trail is groomed for cross-country skiing.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Congrats bttr and best of luck....

I ran my first trail tonight.... 4 miles @ 10:16ish.... Calves are smoked from correcting a lot from the uneven terrain.

Nice Joe!! It's a great workout for the stabilizing muscles of the legs & ankles. I'm definitely addicted to trails now!!
  • madmiss
    Options
    Go run coach Beth!!!!!

I dislike trails, I am always worried about my ankles ;( I'd rather take my chances with a car also than some of the wild animals we have around here ;) sort of kidding ;)

Didn't get to run at all yesterday, had to go help out at other office after work, and rain forecast for today.... I'm still bringing my gear!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    This addresses some of the issues about trail running:

http://www.runnersworld.com/trail-running-training/how-do-i-switch-roads-trails
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I went for a run in my new shoes today. I now have sore knees, sore feet, a sore ankle and a sore thigh! They are back in the box and my 5th pair of running shoes are on the way...

Hope you had fun with your coaching Beth!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Romy, that's quite the shoe saga. I hope you get the right shoes this time.

Laura, congrats on getting into the HM. That's wonderful and you're going to do great!

Beth, you rock! You're going to be an inspirational coach. Those women are lucky.

There is one short (half mile) trail in my neighbourhood. I enjoy running through it so I think I'd like trail running. I should maybe start exploring running areas that I may have to drive a short distance to.

Today I set a personal record: 5K in 38:16! I was super happy with that. After a short 2 minute walk, I ran another K for a total of 6K in 46:20.
  • madmiss
    Options
    Go plex!!!!!!! Way to pr!!!

Thanks for the link Tim!
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Tough track workout tonight. 8 x 800m intervals at 7:30 pace. It was cold with a strong wind. Hopefully I will sleep well tonight!