Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    http://www.runningmap.com/

Ran eNaked last night (forgot my phone) and mapped my run today. Almost exactly 4 miles (yay for Jantastic) in about 55ish minutes (so, 13:45/mile).

I graduated C25k on February 9th last year, with a 15 min/mile stroller run.:happy:

I averaged 8 miles/week. This year, I average around 12. :flowerforyou:

In terms of min/mile, I'm about the same for an "easy run" :ohwell:

I can run easily for an hour, without music or distraction of any sort. :glasses:
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Next month on Fat Tuesday our local running store will have a big event with every major shoe company there and food too. It's perfect timing because I need some new shoes next month.

Which store? I checked out the Big Peach site and didn't see this listed. One of my friends is up in Woodstock and is trying to embed in the running community here. I was telling them about all the events over your way and would like to send them a link.

This will be in Suwanee at the Town Center Park. It hasn't been advertised yet. I run with several people that work there so that's how I found out. They will be doing something like this about every quarter.
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    http://www.runningmap.com/

Ran eNaked last night (forgot my phone) and mapped my run today. Almost exactly 4 miles (yay for Jantastic) in about 55ish minutes (so, 13:45/mile).

I graduated C25k on February 9th last year, with a 15 min/mile stroller run.:happy:

I averaged 8 miles/week. This year, I average around 12. :flowerforyou:

In terms of min/mile, I'm about the same for an "easy run" :ohwell:

I can run easily for an hour, without music or distraction of any sort. :glasses:

CONGRATS SO MUCH VARDA!!!!!

enaked - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Love the pedi madmiss, especially since it matches your shoes!

Congratulations on the sponsorship lilbee, sounds like alot of fun.

I got back home today after a few days away and my replacement running shoes had arrived, and guess what? They sent the wrong size AGAIN! I phoned them AGAIN and customer services talked me through ordering a Wife Fit, which was exactly the same way I had been doing it, and even though I selected 5.5D it was still showing in the description as 5.5Regular so I have no expectation these will be the correct size! So I have now ordered some from another website. I am getting desperate, the only thing that is holding my old shoes together is the mud!! I'm scared to wash them :laugh:
  • likitisplit
    Next month on Fat Tuesday our local running store will have a big event with every major shoe company there and food too. It's perfect timing because I need some new shoes next month.

Which store? I checked out the Big Peach site and didn't see this listed. One of my friends is up in Woodstock and is trying to embed in the running community here. I was telling them about all the events over your way and would like to send them a link.

This will be in Suwanee at the Town Center Park. It hasn't been advertised yet. I run with several people that work there so that's how I found out. They will be doing something like this about every quarter.

Thanks, Tim!!!
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Awesome news about the sponsorship lilbee, and trying out shoes must be interesting. i just ordered another pair of my faithful Adidas shoes, this time in pink and purple - also ridiculously excited.

Week 11 Day 1 of C210K today, this was the first 3x17 min set. No problems except another night of not possibly being able to meet my calorie goal, I need to space out during the day more because it's getting ridiculous and I don't want to lose any more weight.
  • likitisplit
    Awesome news about the sponsorship lilbee, and trying out shoes must be interesting. i just ordered another pair of my faithful Adidas shoes, this time in pink and purple - also ridiculously excited.

Week 11 Day 1 of C210K today, this was the first 3x17 min set. No problems except another night of not possibly being able to meet my calorie goal, I need to space out during the day more because it's getting ridiculous and I don't want to lose any more weight.

Cashews.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member

Cashews.

Covered in dark chocolate
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    sponsorship sounds very cool...

hope everyone has been able to get their runs in.. sounds like varda is kicking a bit of *kitten*!

28:40 min run tonight as per gipis

5 minute warmup and cool down @ 10:10
    8 X :50 (max pace) around 6 ish with 1:30 minute recovery jog 12:50ish)

damn these max pace speed work runs really kick my *kitten*

ekj7nq.png
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Great workout Joe! Tonight the track was occupied so we did hill repeats nearby. One mile warmup, then 6 hill repeats which totaled 2 miles, then one mile cooldown. Each hill was run about 7:30 pace up and a slow jog back down to the start.
  • likitisplit

More seriously, I've renamed my meals with my calorie targets. So:

Breakfast - 530
    Lunch - 700
    Snack - 200
    Dinner - 950

That way I know I'm eating "enough" at each meal to keep me satisfied without snacking, but also giving myself ample warning that I'm going to need a lighter snack otherwise I'll be having water and pickles (just kidding) for dinner.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Cashews.

Covered in dark chocolate

:laugh:

I went for a run along the river this afternoon. I was running along thinking that this 5K is the longest 5k ever! I had to push myself to make the last 5 minutes. It was a hard run. Then I looked at my Garmin and I'd run 6k; not 5! 6K in 47:50! That motivated me a lot. I walked towards home and, after resting up, ran another 1K without any problems.
    It was a beautiful semi-overcast day and the river is slowly coming to life. Spring must be on its way soon.

Varda, your gains this year are wonderful. It's so motivating to look back a year and see where we were. It's hard to see the changes & improvements happening from day to day.
    Today's run is 2:10 shorter in time and 1k longer in distance than my very first 5K run and I don't really feel as if I'm getting any faster (but I do feel that I'm stronger) and that was roughly a year ago (maybe 13 months).
  • arrseegee

More seriously, I've renamed my meals with my calorie targets. So:

Breakfast - 530
    Lunch - 700
    Snack - 200
    Dinner - 950

That way I know I'm eating "enough" at each meal to keep me satisfied without snacking, but also giving myself ample warning that I'm going to need a lighter snack otherwise I'll be having water and pickles (just kidding) for dinner.

Thanks, that's a really good idea and I'll do something similar. Cashews (dark chocolate or plain) are also a good interim measure!

The reason I'm having problems is until now I've been working with my sedentary TDEE calorie goal on MFP and then eating back all exercise calories, which means with my current 3x a week running schedule I have days with radically different calorie goals. I'm fine if I run in the morning because I have the rest of the day to achieve the goal but it can be problematic if I run in the evenings and haven't compensated in advance during that day. Will have to change how I'm doing it because with two evening runs this week I'm starting to run up a fair calorie deficit and I don't think planning to drink a few extra glasses of wine tomorrow night is the best way to manage that!
  • likitisplit
    Thanks, that's a really good idea and I'll do something similar. Cashews (dark chocolate or plain) are also a good interim measure!

The reason I'm having problems is until now I've been working with my sedentary TDEE calorie goal on MFP and then eating back all exercise calories, which means with my current 3x a week running schedule I have days with radically different calorie goals. I'm fine if I run in the morning because I have the rest of the day to achieve the goal but it can be problematic if I run in the evenings and haven't compensated in advance during that day. Will have to change how I'm doing it because with two evening runs this week I'm starting to run up a fair calorie deficit and I don't think planning to drink a few extra glasses of wine tomorrow night is the best way to manage that!

That's the strategy MadMiss uses and it seems to work for her (LOL).

I had the same issue, many runners do. Especially when you start doing 10 miles on Sunday morning. What I did was a modified TDEE method that it seems that many of us land on.

Figure out your weekly calories for running (1100). I only use half of them for this (because I was at a deficit and wanted a bit of "padding"). (550)

Divide them by 7 days in a week. This gives you your average additional calorie requirement. (80)

Portion them out out between meals. (I think I'll have 50 extra for my snack and 30 more for lunch).

THAT's what I used to name my meals. Some days I'd be a little over. Some days I'd be a little under. But, over a week, it all worked out.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    I got back home today after a few days away and my replacement running shoes had arrived, and guess what? They sent the wrong size AGAIN! I phoned them AGAIN and customer services talked me through ordering a Wife Fit, which was exactly the same way I had been doing it, and even though I selected 5.5D it was still showing in the description as 5.5Regular so I have no expectation these will be the correct size! So I have now ordered some from another website. I am getting desperate, the only thing that is holding my old shoes together is the mud!! I'm scared to wash them :laugh:

Romy, that's got to be so frustrating! Hope you get correct shoes as soon as possible!

I've managed a steady stair routine over the past two weeks while I've been at work. I do a minimum of 2 reps of 5 flights twice a day, every work day. I've also started to "run" some of them rather than the fast walking. My goal will be to continue the same pattern, not increase the number of flights or the reps, but increase the amount of stair running I do as I decrease the stair walking. My little exercises in my cubicle have varied as I have time to do them. I'm doing calf raises and desk pushups most of the time and squats and stretches if I have time.

I really hope that this will help with keeping my running up when I'm not able to get out there running. Last weekend was hard with both Friday and Monday in the car for 10+ hours. I did get the treadmill running in on Saturday, but that was it for the week. I do have planned runs for Friday and Sunday. I'm planning to start my own variation of the Hal Higdon Novice 1 Half Marathon plan tomorrow and see how long it takes me to reach that distance. I'm very pleased to find that without really trying, Fells and I are running 4 miles most of the time now rather than the 2 or 3 we were running most of the time in the Fall. I know that I'm progressing much slower than everyone else who posts here, but I am progressing and I'm having fun and that's all that matters.
  • likitisplit

Romy, that's got to be so frustrating! Hope you get correct shoes as soon as possible!

I've managed a steady stair routine over the past two weeks while I've been at work. I do a minimum of 2 reps of 5 flights twice a day, every work day. I've also started to "run" some of them rather than the fast walking. My goal will be to continue the same pattern, not increase the number of flights or the reps, but increase the amount of stair running I do as I decrease the stair walking. My little exercises in my cubicle have varied as I have time to do them. I'm doing calf raises and desk pushups most of the time and squats and stretches if I have time.

I really hope that this will help with keeping my running up when I'm not able to get out there running. Last weekend was hard with both Friday and Monday in the car for 10+ hours. I did get the treadmill running in on Saturday, but that was it for the week. I do have planned runs for Friday and Sunday. I'm planning to start my own variation of the Hal Higdon Novice 1 Half Marathon plan tomorrow and see how long it takes me to reach that distance. I'm very pleased to find that without really trying, Fells and I are running 4 miles most of the time now rather than the 2 or 3 we were running most of the time in the Fall. I know that I'm progressing much slower than everyone else who posts here, but I am progressing and I'm having fun and that's all that matters.

I don't think you really are progressing more slowly. I peaked for a half marathon in October, but 4 miles is kicking my butt just the same now. I tried to run 6 or 7 last week and ended up walking home and resting for a day because of sciatic pain (because my body got tired and bottomed out.) I love your cubical exercises!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member

I know that I'm progressing much slower than everyone else who posts here, but I am progressing and I'm having fun and that's all that matters.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the stair workouts and the cubersizing (® pending)!!!!

Also, if you're enjoying your runs that's the most important thing! Don't feel like you aren't progressing fast enough. There's no deadline for improvement!
  • likitisplit
    Instructions for today's run: 12 minutes as fast as possible. I tried. It was hot (sorry B). I couldn't breathe. I felt sick. I slowed down. Average time? 10:30. On a track, but still. Not bad at all for 1.33 miles.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Haven't run this week yet. Was away Mon-Wed for half term and yesterday was so windy I was struggling to walk. Today is looking much nicer, it's sub zero right now but by the time I get home from work it should have warmed up a couple of degrees. I wish I worked in a bigger office so I could do some cubercise!!

I'm about 4 days behind on my training but as I don't have any races planned till September I don't think that is going to be a problem, lol! I'm hoping to pick up a couple of 5k races over the summer but they don't do a lot of 5ks where I live, mainly just 10ks. Even the nearest park run is an hours drive. Happy Friday everyone!
  • arrseegee
    Thanks again Varda, I'll have to sit down and do some calorie-juggling math this weekend.

Today I did C210K Week 11 Day 2. It's supposed to be 3x17 min runs but I decided to add an extra 3 min onto each set to bring it up to an hour. It felt pretty good despite a head wind in the second half, and at 60 mins I just kept on running and finished my first ever 10km run in 1:01:26! YAY! :drinker:

I'm really happy with it. 10km has seemed like a distant goal for a while (the most I've previously run was 8.2 km) so now I can go back to following the rest of my C210K plan knowing that I can do it.

And now I think I shall celebrate... with cashew nuts.