Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Arrseegee did the first post and Lilbeesmommy did the second.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    I've been a total sloth the past few days. The storm really threw me out of my routine. I haven't run since Tuesday and haven't been to the gym all week. But I think I needed a break with nagging pains in my knee and feet. Sunday will be my next run - going to tackle Sawnee Mountain for the first time. Next week I'll get back on track.

Seems like a good time for a recovery week!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Seems like a good time for a recovery week!

Yep, that's what I'm calling it! Another sinful day today - just finished some cupcakes from a local bakery. Man, those were good!!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    I don't know why I am hesitant to register for a full Varda. I promised some girl friends that I would "train" for one so that's what I am doing lol. My longest run as you know is a 20 mile training run. Maybe if I can run a 26 mile trainng run successfully I will register for a full. Thanks for the encouragement. ????????

To everyone that's running their first half or first 10k or even first 5k: it will be over sooner than you think so enjoy every minute of it! Smile and after you cross the line give yourself a big hug & pat on the back! You earned it!
  • likitisplit
    That's what I was thinking about doing this year: registering for the half but training for the full. For two reasons: a lot of people on the LDR board said that their half time didn't drop until they trained for a full, and to see if I have what it takes without the risk of having to recommit.
  • timeasterday
    That's what I was thinking about doing this year: registering for the half but training for the full. For two reasons: a lot of people on the LDR board said that their half time didn't drop until they trained for a full, and to see if I have what it takes without the risk of having to recommit.

That sounds like a good strategy. Your half time will definitely get better as your long runs get longer. I plan to get up to 23 miles for my long run by summer if everything goes OK. But right now rethinking my entire plan for the year (still doing a marathon but taking it much more slowly getting there).
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Arrseegee did the first post and Lilbeesmommy did the second.

Yep, knew I was missing something! Lol

I'm so nervous for today!!!!!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    My new running shoes arrived today. Was really disappointed when I tried them on. They were tight across the front and I could feel my toes starting to go numb! Re-laced them but that didn't help. I know I have wide feet but they are not that wide!! Then I looked at the tab and realised they had sent normal fit instead of wide fit! Now I have to wait till the end of next week till I get them, hopefully they will send the correct size this time.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    My new running shoes arrived today. Was really disappointed when I tried them on. They were tight across the front and I could feel my toes starting to go numb! Re-laced them but that didn't help. I know I have wide feet but they are not that wide!! Then I looked at the tab and realised they had sent normal fit instead of wide fit! Now I have to wait till the end of next week till I get them, hopefully they will send the correct size this time.

That stinks!
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    hey everyone.. sorry about the shoes and I also have thought about training for a full, but doing a half...but I thought that I would complete a half first before i worry about strategy.

1 hour 45 minute run today
    10.4 miles
    10:06 pace

im a bit sore in the legs but not tired
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Up in the Montreal, QC area today, so treadmill running is my only choice. Ran 3 miles as fast as I could go with walking and/or rest intervals every 0.5 miles. When I say 3 miles, the walking wasn't counted among the 3 miles.

Glad to see everyone up and running despite the winter weather!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Did my first 10k today. 1:08:??

Son was ahead of me and doing lots of walk/jog, I think so I didn't catch up. He got 4th in age group, I got 12th.

And he said he felt he could run another 4 miles, which is good since we are signed up for a 10 mile race in October!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Congrats fleetz!!!! Nice run joe -

Today I did my first half officially 2:45:53 - with a 22mph headwind holy wind!!!!! Had a great time no bathroom breaks needed so proud I'm still wearing my medal ;)

photo.php?fbid=10202289129804129&l=16d267f71c
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Congratulations fleetz and madmiss, great times for you both!!!
  • timeasterday
    Did my first 10k today. 1:08:??

Super job fleetzz!!
    Today I did my first half officially 2:45:53 - with a 22mph headwind holy wind!!!!! Had a great time no bathroom breaks needed so proud I'm still wearing my medal ;)

Way to go madmiss!!! That wind was awful today!
  • PinkNinjaLaura

Congrats!!!

Tried to fix your photo (IMG has to be in small letters) but didn't work.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    I was supposed to run 6 miles. It was just starting to snow when I went out, and the wind had picked up from when I had been outside half an hour earlier, so I was dressed wrong for the elements. I bullied myself into going 4 miles, thinking that was my Jantastic commitment. Yeah, it's 5. I can't talk myself into running more in the snow but will head to the gym later & run a couple more miles on the TM.
  • likitisplit
    hey everyone.. sorry about the shoes and I also have thought about training for a full, but doing a half...but I thought that I would complete a half first before i worry about strategy.

1 hour 45 minute run today
    10.4 miles
    10:06 pace

im a bit sore in the legs but not tired

Completing a half first will give you a good sense of the training involved and the distance.
  • likitisplit
    I was supposed to run 6 miles. It was just starting to snow when I went out, and the wind had picked up from when I had been outside half an hour earlier, so I was dressed wrong for the elements. I bullied myself into going 4 miles, thinking that was my Jantastic commitment. Yeah, it's 5. I can't talk myself into running more in the snow but will head to the gym later & run a couple more miles on the TM.

You are a rockstar, Laura!
  • likitisplit

Great job on your half! That distance is no joke. How are you walking?

I tried using my magic talents to fix your image, but no-go. Part of the reason is because the facebook page has privacy settings.

Awesome on your 10k fleetzz. I thought that was a great distance. Far enough to be a push, not long enough to shred your body.

Great times, everybody!