Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    I've had a fairly lazy couple of weeks and am trying to whip myself back into a routine.

Today was such a beautiful day so I went outdoors for my run. I did 5K in 40:48! Not particularly speedy but pretty great for me. It felt wonderful being outdoors after work again.

I'm starting to do some interval training on the treadmill now. It's still new to me but I'm hoping that it'll help with my speed come Spring.
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    I had a happy visit to the foot salon today :)

IMG_2012-2.jpg
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Glad to see you back, plexgut! Congrats on your 5K! Isn't it so reassuring to find you still have ability after a bit of a slack off? I think a rest makes us come back even better.

Everyone has been doing so well!

Madmiss, I am so happy for you!!! Definitely give an ice bath a try. Listen to Bee, she knows!

Welcome, newcomers!!!

Varda, jantastic is fantastic! It has encouraged me to push pace because I have to fit the runs in somehow.

I ran 2 miles on my old high school track yesterday. I was just slightly over 20 minutes for two miles. I was snatching just a tiny bit of time away from my darling niece and nephew and my sister. I didn't want to be very long, but I had to run, because my jantastic commitment was due! The last time I ran that track was in Freshman PE 25 years ago. Back then I was being forced, and I couldn't even run a complete lap without walking. Yesterday I ran it easily. I love my new life! :-)
  • bttrthanevr
    Today my wife & I went to a running clinic at a local hospital rehab center. They did some strength and flexibility tests and a video analysis of us on the treadmill. The video from behind confirmed what I was thinking - I am dropping my hip. It only happens on one side. When my right foot is on the ground the left hip drops. That indicates the right hip is weak. Also on the one-legged squat test my right knee tended to dive inwards. So I have some things to work on (even though I've already been working on my hips for a few months). And I was heel striking a lot, but I partially blame that on the treadmill. It makes me run unnaturally.

The treadmill totally whacks my form too. But it's cool you were able to see exactly what you need to work on. You have so many awesome opportunities/clinics in your area!
  • bttrthanevr
    No running for me over the weekend, but I did get in 2 long bike rides- 50 miles on Saturday and 20 miles on Sunday. Despite the wind, had great rides both days. I actually say 2 bald eagles!

So glad you were able to get out for two awesome rides! Does this mean winter is loosening it's grip? I sure hope so!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member

IMG_2012-2.jpg

AAAMMMMAAAZZZZIIIINNNNGGGG!!!!!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Cool nails madmiss!
    Today was such a beautiful day so I went outdoors for my run. I did 5K in 40:48! Not particularly speedy but pretty great for me. It felt wonderful being outdoors after work again.

I'm starting to do some interval training on the treadmill now. It's still new to me but I'm hoping that it'll help with my speed come Spring.

Great run Plex! The interval training definitely will help. Keep up the good work!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    No running for me over the weekend, but I did get in 2 long bike rides- 50 miles on Saturday and 20 miles on Sunday. Despite the wind, had great rides both days. I actually say 2 bald eagles!

So glad you were able to get out for two awesome rides! Does this mean winter is loosening it's grip? I sure hope so!

I think the grip is loosening! Weatherman says maybe 2 more winter ish storms this season, but nothing like the last month.

I rode another 13 miles yesterday and today is boot camp. If I can get off work a little early, I'll run before class.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member

IMG_2012-2.jpg

I WANT! i want. i want. i want. iwant.
  • likitisplit
    Glad to see you back, plexgut! Congrats on your 5K! Isn't it so reassuring to find you still have ability after a bit of a slack off? I think a rest makes us come back even better.

Everyone has been doing so well!

Madmiss, I am so happy for you!!! Definitely give an ice bath a try. Listen to Bee, she knows!

Welcome, newcomers!!!

Varda, jantastic is fantastic! It has encouraged me to push pace because I have to fit the runs in somehow.

I ran 2 miles on my old high school track yesterday. I was just slightly over 20 minutes for two miles. I was snatching just a tiny bit of time away from my darling niece and nephew and my sister. I didn't want to be very long, but I had to run, because my jantastic commitment was due! The last time I ran that track was in Freshman PE 25 years ago. Back then I was being forced, and I couldn't even run a complete lap without walking. Yesterday I ran it easily. I love my new life! :-)

I have heard that your old HS track is an amazing place to re-visit for that exact reason.
  • madmiss
    Thanks all for the comments :) I can't stop looking at my toe polish, which is super cute, but it is unfortunately attached to my feet, which are SUPER swollen and angry that I am not wearing running shoes. LOL
  • likitisplit
    So put on running shoes.

I wore my 5k medal all day today.
  • madmiss
    So put on running shoes.

I wore my 5k medal all day today.

Go varda!!!!! I did eventually put them in and went to run class for another 2 miles of speed work ;) which for me is a 10.12 and then a 10.42 (I had a slight stomach cramp) - always fun to run with the group! Pushing me to go furthers - eventually I will get speed and distance!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    @madmiss holy cuteness!!!! Love the pedi!

New in my running world: tried a pair of mizuno shoes tonight at a sponsored group run. ABSOLUTELY HATED THEM and they were uncomfortable to the point of painful. Ran out 1 mile then immediately back. Grabbed my Nike Free's and went back out for more. I like developing relationship with the different reps (good networking since I work for a race company) but man these demo shoe experiences are killing me lol.

Now to the good stuff... I received my second sponsorship last night! I am now part of the Honey Stinger Hive as a sponsored runner! #totallyfreakingridiculouslyexcited
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    New in my running world: tried a pair of mizuno shoes tonight at a sponsored group run. ABSOLUTELY HATED THEM and they were uncomfortable to the point of painful. Ran out 1 mile then immediately back. Grabbed my Nike Free's and went back out for more. I like developing relationship with the different reps (good networking since I work for a race company) but man these demo shoe experiences are killing me lol.

Now to the good stuff... I received my second sponsorship last night! I am now part of the Honey Stinger Hive as a sponsored runner! #totallyfreakingridiculouslyexcited

Yeah Mizuno's are a bit different than a lot of other shoes but I like them. I have 3 pairs! Which model did you try? They are typically much firmer and I like that for faster runs. But I would not wear them for 10+ miles. The sponsored group runs are great and I love trying on different shoes for a test drive. Next month on Fat Tuesday our local running store will have a big event with every major shoe company there and food too. It's perfect timing because I need some new shoes next month.

Congrats on the sponsorship!!
  • madmiss
    congrats on the sponsorship lilbee! That's so awesome! It must be so much fun to work for a race company! What do you do?
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Thanks @timeasterday and @madmiss!!

I work for 3WRaces as a race ambassador and sponsored runner. I am the designated rep for 3W at all of the RMRR (Rocky Mountain Road Runner) events. I also help facilitate our company owned races and events. Marketing, networking, etc. I also manage the @3WRaces twitter account. They pay for all my races. We sponsor group runs with all the major running shoe retailers in our area (Road Runner Sports, Runner's Roost, Endurance House, Boulder Running Company) which assists in making contacts and networking with a lot of different reps (shoe/apparel companies, athletic fuel companies, etc.) Our goal is to promote local businesses and support local charities through running. Can't wait to add Honey Stinger into the mix. I've been fueling with their products exclusively for almost a year. Everything about them works for me; taste, texture, performance... Thanks for inquiring. I love talking about 3W & HS!
  • likitisplit
    @madmiss holy cuteness!!!! Love the pedi!

!!!!!
  • likitisplit
    Next month on Fat Tuesday our local running store will have a big event with every major shoe company there and food too. It's perfect timing because I need some new shoes next month.

Which store? I checked out the Big Peach site and didn't see this listed. One of my friends is up in Woodstock and is trying to embed in the running community here. I was telling them about all the events over your way and would like to send them a link.
  • likitisplit
    Thanks @timeasterday and @madmiss!!

I work for 3WRaces as a race ambassador and sponsored runner. I am the designated rep for 3W at all of the RMRR (Rocky Mountain Road Runner) events. I also help facilitate our company owned races and events. Marketing, networking, etc. I also manage the @3WRaces twitter account. They pay for all my races. We sponsor group runs with all the major running shoe retailers in our area (Road Runner Sports, Runner's Roost, Endurance House, Boulder Running Company) which assists in making contacts and networking with a lot of different reps (shoe/apparel companies, athletic fuel companies, etc.) Our goal is to promote local businesses and support local charities through running. Can't wait to add Honey Stinger into the mix. I've been fueling with their products exclusively for almost a year. Everything about them works for me; taste, texture, performance... Thanks for inquiring. I love talking about 3W & HS!

I love the Honey Stinger products. The waffles are phenomenal.

If you remember my virtual 10k debacle last year (where I virtually bandited a race and still got the shirt and my time officially listed because the organizers were awesome)...that was a 3WRace event, so I heartily recommend them as a group to check out if anybody is interested in doing a virtual race.