Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    4 miles easy pace this afternoon. Still windy but warmed up a little with the sun shining. I haven't been doing any running the day after my track workouts but I think this will be a good thing going forward. It forces me to slow down because I'm still tired and it's good for recovery. I'm slowly working towards a schedule where I run Tue/Wed/Thu/Sat/Sun. It has been just Wed/Fri/Sun. Next month I'll add a 4th day of running and by late May I'll add that 5th day. That should get me prepared to start marathon training in mid-July.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I went for a run in my new shoes today. I now have sore knees, sore feet, a sore ankle and a sore thigh! They are back in the box and my 5th pair of running shoes are on the way...

Hope you had fun with your coaching Beth!

ARGH. That is not fair at all. You are in Scotland? I think this indicates a niche for a decent running shoe mail order service. Business idea?
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    I went for a run in my new shoes today. I now have sore knees, sore feet, a sore ankle and a sore thigh! They are back in the box and my 5th pair of running shoes are on the way...

Hope you had fun with your coaching Beth!

ARGH. That is not fair at all. You are in Scotland? I think this indicates a niche for a decent running shoe mail order service. Business idea?

Yes, I'm in Scotland. There is a good mail order running shoe company, SportsShoes, but they charge for delivery and returns which all adds to the cost of the shoes, which is why I had tried to use Amazon. The Saucony's were from SportsShoes and were described as supremely cushioned, but my sore knees will tell you they were rock hard! And my feet are still sore from being forced to midfoot strike and run on the outsides of my feet. I'm trying Asics Cumulus next, if I could find another pair of New Balance like my old ones I would stock up!

Tim I would love to be able to run 5 times a week, not sure my body would love it though!
  • romyhorse
    I think I have found a pair of running shoes I like! Went for a run in the Asics this afternoon and I'm feeling okay, still need to fiddle a bit with the lacing but these could be the ones. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Also entered myself and my husband in the Loch Ness 10k today. I couldn't understand why it was so expensive! Then I scrolled down to find the next page button and realised I had entered us in the marathon, lol!
  • timeasterday
    I hope you finally got the right shoes Romy! What an ordeal!!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    I think I have found a pair of running shoes I like! Went for a run in the Asics this afternoon and I'm feeling okay, still need to fiddle a bit with the lacing but these could be the ones. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Also entered myself and my husband in the Loch Ness 10k today. I couldn't understand why it was so expensive! Then I scrolled down to find the next page button and realised I had entered us in the marathon, lol!

The Loch Ness 10K sounds like the coolest thing ever. Glad you found some shoes! Which Asics? My outdoor running shoes are Asics and they're really comfortable except they're just a little too big.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    4 miles easy pace this afternoon. Still windy but warmed up a little with the sun shining. I haven't been doing any running the day after my track workouts but I think this will be a good thing going forward. It forces me to slow down because I'm still tired and it's good for recovery. I'm slowly working towards a schedule where I run Tue/Wed/Thu/Sat/Sun. It has been just Wed/Fri/Sun. Next month I'll add a 4th day of running and by late May I'll add that 5th day. That should get me prepared to start marathon training in mid-July.

That sounds exhausting.
  • romyhorse
    Thanks Tim.

The Loch Ness 10K sounds like the coolest thing ever. Glad you found some shoes! Which Asics? My outdoor running shoes are Asics and they're really comfortable except they're just a little too big.

I got the Cumulus, they're not as comfortable as my NB but are more comfortable than anything else I have tried. The Loch Ness Festival of Running has the coolest medals, mine is the same as this one
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-17rDvd9UHZw/UknafCTeaLI/AAAAAAAAApU/xUabqRc5SFg/s1600/Loch+Ness.jpg
    except it says 10k and is silver.
  • timeasterday
    I got the Cumulus, they're not as comfortable as my NB but are more comfortable than anything else I have tried. The Loch Ness Festival of Running has the coolest medals, mine is the same as this one
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-17rDvd9UHZw/UknafCTeaLI/AAAAAAAAApU/xUabqRc5SFg/s1600/Loch+Ness.jpg

I recently read something about the Loch Ness race. I was thinking I want to do that some day. Scotland is definitely on my bucket list of places to go and I want to run that marathon before I get too old!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Thanks Tim.

I NEED one of those.

So, I have bronchitis. That means I do a mile today and try for four miles on Sunday, right?
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Thanks Tim.

I NEED one of those.

So, I have bronchitis. That means I do a mile today and try for four miles on Sunday, right?

I'm pretty sure I need one of those too!

Varda, you're such a badass.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member

All good, Romy! My first shoes were Asics. I liked them, but they were too small and I almost lost a toenail. My last two have been two different New Balance and I really like them both. I wear the older pair all the time and the newer pair only when I run.

The Loch Ness 10k (and the marathon, too) sounds really fun!

Ran a slow and easy 3.56 miles today and walked the extra half mile to cover 4 miles total. I had planned to do 5k and then realized that I was running farther than that and stopped when I figured it out. I really wanted to only do 5k and I may be running three days in a row and didn't want to suddenly run many more miles than i have been.

Then I went to my canine freestyle class and then dropped the dogs off and went to a Zumba class. This was my third Zumba class and I still prefer doing a lot of other things instead, but I bought 20 fitness classes that I have to complete by mid-June. I've been to 9 in the past two months, mostly Metabolic Conditioning and the three Zumba. But, as it's been getting lighter in the evening, I've been wanting to increase my running days. I'm hoping to get in all the fitness classes, but the only way I will is if I get as many as possible in by the end of March. Starting in April, I don't have to teach puppy class on Tuesdays anymore, but I added a dog agility class and a dog obedience class, both on Wednesday evening. I'll want to start running on Tuesday evenings, adding it to my Friday afternoon and Sunday runs, swim on Monday evenings and Saturday mornings, and bike on Saturdays and maybe Sundays. That leaves every other Thursday Metabolic Conditioning and/or Friday evening Zumba to fit in these fitness classes. I'd rather just be done with them once Spring hits and maybe start attending just the strength fitness classes again late next Fall..
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Romy, that's quite the shoe saga. I hope you get the right shoes this time.

Laura, congrats on getting into the HM. That's wonderful and you're going to do great!

Beth, you rock! You're going to be an inspirational coach. Those women are lucky.

There is one short (half mile) trail in my neighbourhood. I enjoy running through it so I think I'd like trail running. I should maybe start exploring running areas that I may have to drive a short distance to.

Today I set a personal record: 5K in 38:16! I was super happy with that. After a short 2 minute walk, I ran another K for a total of 6K in 46:20.

Your PR is awesome!!!! Go Plexgut! and then you ran extra...double plus awesome! :-)!!!!!
  • bttrthanevr

Sounds like a good plan. I have to admit I'm envious. I struggle to fit in three days running. It's not for lack of desire. :-) I'm so thankful the days are getting longer (even if it's not any warmer). Being able to run out the front door just before dinner or between dinner and bedtime for the chitlin's helps!
  • bttrthanevr

LOL! Way to sign your hubby up for a bit more than he suspected! I hope it went/goes well. I'm glad you finally got some shoes that may work.
  • bttrthanevr
    Thanks Tim.

Ooooh, I want one! So cool!
    I've worn exclusively Asics since I started running. I am going to treat myself to some new shoes (and another professional fitting) as soon as I can get to the run shop (at least 1 1/2 hours drive).

I'm also excited that if I can get out early from work, my running group has a guest speaker for this week that will be doing running form evals just prior to the meeting. I will be there will bells on!!!

I'm hoping for a long run tomorrow outdoors...but we shall see. I'm not as tough as Laura!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Went back to the circle track friday after work and did 3 easy miles with a hangover - yes, I drink when I have to go to customer dinners of my hubby's ;) then today I went out for 3.5 with a borrowed new orange mud hydra quiver water pack thingy the run I store LENT me to try until the hot pink one I ordered comes in ;) they have the best customer service ever, they let customers try things, borrow things, it's just amazing. I'm so glad to try this as it s $85!!!! But I really hate things around my waist, and the Nathan pack I bought just aggravates me, so I'm up for spending some more money so I can carry water with me with little aggravation. Apart from hearing the sloshing of the water a little bit it was very comfy, and it holds an ice pack so your back feels great!!! Can't wait to try it for a long run tomorrow.... Now if my tight calf + some muscle an inch above my knee would stop being aggravated tight and twingy at me, I'd be much happier!

http://www.orangemud.com/products/hydraquiver

I want to run Loch Ness - sounds awesome!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    The cold finally kept me inside this weekend. I ran 6 brutal treadmill miles to meet my Jantastic commitment, only to realize when I got home & went to log it that I had apparently said I would run 7 miles this week. So I had to use a Joker because there is zero chance of me running another mile today.

Once upon a time Jason recommended breaking up the treadmill long runs by doing something else every couple of miles, so I did bike/run intervals. I biked 10 minutes, ran 2 miles, biked 10 minutes, ran 2 miles, biked 10 minutes, and was feeling pretty good for my final 2 minutes so pulled up the metronome app on my phone and decided to try to run at a cadence of 180 which turns out to be significantly faster than I run. I made it for half a mile, dropped the cadence but kept that speed for another quarter mile, then just hit the wall. I think it took me something like 44 minutes to do the final 2 miles, despite doing the first 3/4 mile at 5.5mph, because I had to keep working in walk intervals and I slowed down for my run portions (anywhere from 4.5 - 5.0). Walked a final quarter mile to bring that segment to an even 3 miles including my walk intervals, got in 10 minutes cool-down minutes on the bike, then made sure to stretch & foam roll.
  • romyhorse
    I'm having a day off today, the only exercise I'll be doing is walking my dog. The front of my thigh has been sore for a few weeks when I run and I've had an ache in my hip, just assumed it was a thigh strain. But since my awful run in the Saucony's on Wednesday my hip has been really painful. When I lift my thigh I get a stabbing pain in my hip and turning it certains ways is really sore. I ran 5k on Friday and 4k yesterday because when I run it's just the front of my thigh that is sore, not my hip, but the pain in my hip is getting worse. If it's still as sore tomorrow I'm going to make a doctor's appointment as when I googled it it was quite scary!

I'm typing this on my husband's laptop, I normally use my tablet and I keep waiting for predictive texting to bring up the word I'm typing, and for it to automatically use a capital letter at the start of a sentence, it's made me so lazy!!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Romy how high up on your thigh? Wonder if it's your IT band. When I first started having IT band issues it hurt to the point where I was limping.