Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Replies

• romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    @Ceci_O_K Well done and congratulations on getting first in your age group. I may get to raise a glass to you today although it is more likely to be next Friday.

@ romyhorse At least you were able to run afterwards, doing it the other way round really messes up the weights session. I try to keep SL5x5 and C2xk apart by at least 12 hours to have any reasonable success with both. However running after SL5x5, I think is beneficial, not from a time perspective but from the fact that you legs are already fatigued and you need to work through it. I would be more concerned that you did a a double session a couple of days after having a sore knee. I would have taken it really easy until I had done a session of each. Each to their own, I suppose. Well done and I hope you enjoyed your lunch and cinema trip.

I did think it would be beneficial to run on tired legs, I didn't expect it to be so hard though! My sore knee wasn't anything serious, I just tweaked it walking up stairs, something I had done several times before. After injuring my knee last summer and having a suspected stress fracture of my femur at the beginning of this year I am very careful and tend to take rest days for even the slightest niggle. And we did have a lovely day out yesterday thanks, ate lots and only took 4000 steps. Thankfully we are hillwalking today and I will running later in the day.
  • romyhorse
    C210k W9D2 completed. Not as I intended though. On the last interval I caught up with a chap who was going at a slower pace, he asked for a tow. I slowed down and we talked for 10 minutes while still making progress. Before we split I had managed to help him speed up, he had struggled in the first half of his run. Although the session was not the one I planned, I wanted to see how my stamina was at the end of the run, it did help me understand the HR range I need to be in to run and talk. And for that I am truly grateful. Have fun with whatever you plan to do over the next couple of days

Well done and great job for helping out a fellow runner!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    C210k W9D2 completed. Not as I intended though. On the last interval I caught up with a chap who was going at a slower pace, he asked for a tow. I slowed down and we talked for 10 minutes while still making progress. Before we split I had managed to help him speed up, he had struggled in the first half of his run. Although the session was not the one I planned, I wanted to see how my stamina was at the end of the run, it did help me understand the HR range I need to be in to run and talk. And for that I am truly grateful. Have fun with whatever you plan to do over the next couple of days

I had mixed feelings to start with, but I figured nothing depended on my time and so if it helped him out then it was worthwhile. It cost me nothing to help out someone who reached out for help. Glad you enjoyed your day
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    It's been a few days since my last update, but I'm proud to say that I finally finished my 60 minute run...TWICE! Once was my c210k graduation run, and the other was this morning to kick off half marathon training. I doubt I'll actually fork over the money to run one this year, but at least I'll be able to build up a nice big mileage base before the winter kicks in and I can't go out anymore.

My goal for this month is to focus on getting my strength training in. I've been digging my heels in about it for a while now, and I really should have started months ago. I just hate it so much, and I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • ftrobbie
    Congratulations on finishing twice. Hope you can achieve your strength training goals
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Congratulations on running 60 minutes twice! That's a wonderful start to your half marathon training! Way to go!

I had a good run on Friday, running 5.5K in 43:45. It was an afternoon run, so hot & a bit close.

This morning, I went out early with the intention of running an easy 60 minutes. I concentrated on keeping the pacing slow and easy, testing my speed by speaking the lyrics of my songs out loud and checking my Garmin for speed. I did it and covered 7.4K in that time. I haven't run 60 minutes since the heat started and I'm very happy that I can still do it.

Got a new pair of shoes yesterday: Saucony Omni 13. They are still in the closet. I'm going to finish the summer in my ASICS.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Congratulations Ceci!! Nice race!

Sounds like a good run Robbie, helping out a fellow runner is always good.

Looks like you're getting some nice runs in Romy, and your daughter too.

Congratulations on the two 60 minute runs, Andie. It took me a while to find a type of strength training I liked and felt comfortable with. too.

I ran 10 miles today. The plan was to get out by 6:30 to 7 am and take Fells. I got up late, got distracted, and finally set out by 9:30 am. The whole run south I saw the shade on the other side of the trail and was happy that I['d have that on the way back. I ran the 5.5 miles to the ranger station (This sounds very out in the woods. It's a paved rail to trail. I wasn't trail running). Used the bathroom and felt good and thought about running the whole way back and doing 11 miles. After about a half mile going north I was hot, miserable and grumpy. I hate sun. My glasses were sliding down my nose. I spent the rest of the run alternating between carrying them and wearing them. I saw only two runners on the way home, 20 walkers, and probably 100 bicyclists. I got so annoyed with the bikers; just a reflection of my mood in general. They looked so comfortable and many were barely peddling, just gliding and all happy. I was hot, barely moving in comparison, and really annoyed at the world.

When I stopped running at the stop light going from the trail to my neighborhood I started seeing stars and wondered if I would faint halfway across the road. Then I couldn't see cars coming from my right as every time I looked that direction, the minivan sitting there ready to turn left blinded me with all the light it was reflecting. It was a bit scary as both of those things were really affecting my sight. I focused on the crossing indicator man and trusted that when he said I could cross the road, I could.

I'm going to try very hard never to run so late again in the morning again. I think I can actually take a higher heat as long as the sun is not so shiny. I'm an early morning or an evening runner!
  • btsinmd
    I had a good run on Friday, running 5.5K in 43:45. It was an afternoon run, so hot & a bit close.

This morning, I went out early with the intention of running an easy 60 minutes. I concentrated on keeping the pacing slow and easy, testing my speed by speaking the lyrics of my songs out loud and checking my Garmin for speed. I did it and covered 7.4K in that time. I haven't run 60 minutes since the heat started and I'm very happy that I can still do it.

Got a new pair of shoes yesterday: Saucony Omni 13. They are still in the closet. I'm going to finish the summer in my ASICS.
    Nice run!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Had a good week of training totaling 39.6 miles - my highest weekly mileage yet. I ended the week with my longest run ever - 14.3 miles at 8:43 avg pace. This week I should finally crack 40 miles for the week. Got a 15 mile long run coming up this weekend.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Bad me for not keeping up here!
    Well done everyone!

Tim, mega miles glad you're travelling well.
    btsinmd - the vision stuff sounds scary, definitely try to avoid ;)

Patrya good work on nailing the 60min run!
    Andie Whooo to double 60min run :)
    Robbie, great work on helping out another runner
    Ceci - New pb and Age group winner WHOO HOOO!!!
    Romy - I hope your knee niggles vanish quickly!

An intended easy 11.7 tonight, one part of my goal was to never be faster than 5:30/k. I broke that maybe twice on downhills, but it was just super easy. Averaged a little over 6:30/k for the entire run. Tonight was the first time in a long time I've dealt with wind on my run. I had a head wind up every hill LOL. However because I had intended to go slow tonight I found it extremely amusing that I felt like I was almost running on the spot, as I refused to make it anything else than an easy run. Good run on semi tired legs after my trail (horse) ride yesterday.
  • romyhorse
    Sounds like everyone has had a good weekend of running.

On Sunday I went hill walking with my family up Bennachie, it isn't that high but it is very steep. It was 10,000 steps to the top and back, my Fitbit vibrated just as we got back to the car park. In the afternoon I ran 10k, it was supposed to be 13 but my legs were tired after all the climbing. So now I am having a rest day as the tail end of Hurricane Bertha passes over us.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I never did get the Friday run in. I went for an hour on Saturday and it was hard. I was wearing the PureFlows and had done squats the night before, which may have contributed, but the amount of physical activity was nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm looking for being able to run at my base no matter what life throws at me, not trying to push for a PR. So I'm staying to my current two days at 40 minutes and one day at an hour for another two weeks.

I am looking forward to my Tuesday trail run, and that is a VERY good sign.

PS. I realized that if I only run trail 5ks for the rest of my life, I could be happy. I like being a distance runner. I want to be a distance runner. However, if my body wants to play games, I will still be a happy runner.
  • likitisplit
    Had a good week of training totaling 39.6 miles - my highest weekly mileage yet. I ended the week with my longest run ever - 14.3 miles at 8:43 avg pace. This week I should finally crack 40 miles for the week. Got a 15 mile long run coming up this weekend.

Wow. That's a great base!
  • likitisplit
    Congratulations Ceci!! Nice race!

Sounds like a good run Robbie, helping out a fellow runner is always good.

Looks like you're getting some nice runs in Romy, and your daughter too.

Congratulations on the two 60 minute runs, Andie. It took me a while to find a type of strength training I liked and felt comfortable with. too.

I ran 10 miles today. The plan was to get out by 6:30 to 7 am and take Fells. I got up late, got distracted, and finally set out by 9:30 am. The whole run south I saw the shade on the other side of the trail and was happy that I['d have that on the way back. I ran the 5.5 miles to the ranger station (This sounds very out in the woods. It's a paved rail to trail. I wasn't trail running). Used the bathroom and felt good and thought about running the whole way back and doing 11 miles. After about a half mile going north I was hot, miserable and grumpy. I hate sun. My glasses were sliding down my nose. I spent the rest of the run alternating between carrying them and wearing them. I saw only two runners on the way home, 20 walkers, and probably 100 bicyclists. I got so annoyed with the bikers; just a reflection of my mood in general. They looked so comfortable and many were barely peddling, just gliding and all happy. I was hot, barely moving in comparison, and really annoyed at the world.

When I stopped running at the stop light going from the trail to my neighborhood I started seeing stars and wondered if I would faint halfway across the road. Then I couldn't see cars coming from my right as every time I looked that direction, the minivan sitting there ready to turn left blinded me with all the light it was reflecting. It was a bit scary as both of those things were really affecting my sight. I focused on the crossing indicator man and trusted that when he said I could cross the road, I could.

I'm going to try very hard never to run so late again in the morning again. I think I can actually take a higher heat as long as the sun is not so shiny. I'm an early morning or an evening runner!

How is your blood pressure? Low is always good, but it can cause things like this.
  • likitisplit
    Beat my PB 5k by 2 seconds!

Official time 30:22, first in my age group!

I love smaller local races. This was in conjunction with a grape festival, so my "trophy" is a very nice wine glass with a medal attached.

:drinker:

Wow. That is so awesome. Great job on your PB.
  • likitisplit

I had mixed feelings to start with, but I figured nothing depended on my time and so if it helped him out then it was worthwhile. It cost me nothing to help out someone who reached out for help. Glad you enjoyed your day

Sometimes Personal Bests have nothing to do with time or distance. Good work!
  • likitisplit
    It's been a few days since my last update, but I'm proud to say that I finally finished my 60 minute run...TWICE! Once was my c210k graduation run, and the other was this morning to kick off half marathon training. I doubt I'll actually fork over the money to run one this year, but at least I'll be able to build up a nice big mileage base before the winter kicks in and I can't go out anymore.

My goal for this month is to focus on getting my strength training in. I've been digging my heels in about it for a while now, and I really should have started months ago. I just hate it so much, and I have no idea what I'm doing.

I'd like to take the opportunity to recommend the book "Easy Strength" again. It is such a great resource for figuring out how strength and the conditioning strength work brings to the rest of your goals fits in with everything. I've been able to take a much more relaxed and enjoyable approach because of it (well, I was doing relaxed and enjoyable anyway, but not I feel good about it :laugh: )

What are your goals for strength? For fitness? What's your current program? What do you like/not like about it?
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Spent some time catching up on the past couple pages. I've fallen way behind! I'm still doing 3 mile easy runs 3x a week until my tendonitis clears up. My foot hurt enough after Saturday's run that I skipped today's run to give it a little extra rest time. I'm going to stop at the running store tomorrow after work & get fitted for different shoes. Mine only have 200 miles on them but my problems started shortly after I switched to these shoes so it's worth trying out something else.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Spent some time catching up on the past couple pages. I've fallen way behind! I'm still doing 3 mile easy runs 3x a week until my tendonitis clears up. My foot hurt enough after Saturday's run that I skipped today's run to give it a little extra rest time. I'm going to stop at the running store tomorrow after work & get fitted for different shoes. Mine only have 200 miles on them but my problems started shortly after I switched to these shoes so it's worth trying out something else.

Sorry to hear that. Definitely talk with the people at the store and explain what you are experiencing. My store will exchange shoes if they are causing a problem even after 100 miles or more (if they fitted you in the first place). After nearly 2 years of running I am still trying to figure out the right shoe. I think I am getting close.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member

Sorry to hear that. Definitely talk with the people at the store and explain what you are experiencing. My store will exchange shoes if they are causing a problem even after 100 miles or more (if they fitted you in the first place). After nearly 2 years of running I am still trying to figure out the right shoe. I think I am getting close.

I really thought these were the right shoe, and they got me through training for & running my half. I need new shoes for in the gym anyway so I'll transition them to my gym shoes & buy new ones for running. These are the first shoes I've actually tracked mileage for - usually I just replace them when my shins & knees tell me it's time - so I have no idea what's normal for me. Some have lasted longer than others.
  • davetheperson
    davetheperson Posts: 124 Member
    Last week I think I tried to do too much, and just barely finished my long run of 8.5 miles last Saturday. I'm trying to take it easier this week. I have my first official 5K on Sunday. I did 3.24 miles in 30min tonight. I plan on doing 3-4 miles on Wed and Friday, circuit training on Tues and Thurs, and rest on Saturday.
  • ftrobbie

How is your blood pressure? Low is always good, but it can cause things like this.

Low is not always good but I understand the position the comment was made from. I have bouts where my BP is 88/55 with hr at 40 bpm and I struggle to function. Spent yesterday afternoon and evening at the local teaching hospital. I think it is related to being on low level blood pressure meds and having lost 30kgs with no change in prescription. However the concern is that my BP is also at 120/80 some of the time, there is a balance between high bp and low bp, I don't seem to be able to get into the Goldilocks zone, just right. A whole battery of checks were done yesterday, with no conclusive outcomes and more continuous monitoring tests are required. I don't feel safe about doing c210k sessions on the roads at the moment because I do not know how I am going to react. And everything was going so well. Looks like maintenance with no exercise for a while. I wish you all success on your upcoming sessions and look forward to hearing about them.

Edited to correct formatting on quotes
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    I finally had no good excuse to skip so I went to do Speed Work with the local running store.

Run 800m at your target 5k pace, run 200m all out sprint, rest 1 minute, repeat

Most of the people there did 5 reps, I made it 4 at a pretty good pace for me, finishing 2.75 miles in 27:08 minutes. That included the 1 minute rest breaks. I wasn't the slowest there. Everyone made me feel welcome and several were shouting encouragement as they passed me by. I will do it again.
  • PaytraB
    Everyone is having a good week!

Taeliesyn, headwinds are a duel-edged sword. I like the coolness of them but they really do make one feel as if one is running on the spot. I just see it as resistance training. :D

Romy, your family hill walk sounds lovely. Good on you for going out for a 10K run afterwards. That's real dedication.

Varda, sometimes I get frustrated at my running (too slow, not long enough, etc) but, on the whole, I'm happy with my shorter runs. Come fall (cooler weather & more stamina), I still plan on working towards 10K and making a 6K run my base. I'll never be a distance runner but hope to always be happy with my running.

Laura, keep taking care of your foot. Did you get new shoes? I picked up a new pair on the weekend but haven't run in them yet. Love getting new shoes (runners or otherwise).

I've only had 2 pairs of shoes and have tracked my mileage on them. My first pair transitioned from the road to the treadmill and have 700Km on them (I will now transition these to walking/garden shoes). My second pair have just over 700Km on them right now and are still going strong (these will be transitioned to the treadmill soon).

Dave, good luck in your 5K this weekend. Congrats on running 5K in 30 minutes! You're an inspiration. That's my ultimate goal time.

Ceci, that sounds like fun! Well done!
  • likitisplit
    Last week I think I tried to do too much, and just barely finished my long run of 8.5 miles last Saturday. I'm trying to take it easier this week. I have my first official 5K on Sunday. I did 3.24 miles in 30min tonight. I plan on doing 3-4 miles on Wed and Friday, circuit training on Tues and Thurs, and rest on Saturday.

Exciting!
  • likitisplit
    I finally had no good excuse to skip so I went to do Speed Work with the local running store.

Run 800m at your target 5k pace, run 200m all out sprint, rest 1 minute, repeat

Most of the people there did 5 reps, I made it 4 at a pretty good pace for me, finishing 2.75 miles in 27:08 minutes. That included the 1 minute rest breaks. I wasn't the slowest there. Everyone made me feel welcome and several were shouting encouragement as they passed me by. I will do it again.

Applause! You are going to break 30 minutes in your next 5k, I just know it!!
  • likitisplit
    Everyone is having a good week!

Taeliesyn, headwinds are a duel-edged sword. I like the coolness of them but they really do make one feel as if one is running on the spot. I just see it as resistance training. :D

Romy, your family hill walk sounds lovely. Good on you for going out for a 10K run afterwards. That's real dedication.

Varda, sometimes I get frustrated at my running (too slow, not long enough, etc) but, on the whole, I'm happy with my shorter runs. Come fall (cooler weather & more stamina), I still plan on working towards 10K and making a 6K run my base. I'll never be a distance runner but hope to always be happy with my running.

Laura, keep taking care of your foot. Did you get new shoes? I picked up a new pair on the weekend but haven't run in them yet. Love getting new shoes (runners or otherwise).

I've only had 2 pairs of shoes and have tracked my mileage on them. My first pair transitioned from the road to the treadmill and have 700Km on them (I will now transition these to walking/garden shoes). My second pair have just over 700Km on them right now and are still going strong (these will be transitioned to the treadmill soon).

Dave, good luck in your 5K this weekend. Congrats on running 5K in 30 minutes! You're an inspiration. That's my ultimate goal time.

Ceci, that sounds like fun! Well done!

What you do is so inspirational, it's nothing short of amazing.
  • PaytraB
    Varda, me??? I'm just getting out a few times a week and plodding along. It's all of you that are amazing, what with the good times, the races, the groups. It all keeps me very inspired and motivated.
  • btsinmd

Low is not always good but I understand the position the comment was made from. I have bouts where my BP is 88/55 with hr at 40 bpm and I struggle to function. Spent yesterday afternoon and evening at the local teaching hospital. I think it is related to being on low level blood pressure meds and having lost 30kgs with no change in prescription. However the concern is that my BP is also at 120/80 some of the time, there is a balance between high bp and low bp, I don't seem to be able to get into the Goldilocks zone, just right. A whole battery of checks were done yesterday, with no conclusive outcomes and more continuous monitoring tests are required. I don't feel safe about doing c210k sessions on the roads at the moment because I do not know how I am going to react. And everything was going so well. Looks like maintenance with no exercise for a while. I wish you all success on your upcoming sessions and look forward to hearing about them.

Edited to correct formatting on quotes

Do you get the flashing lights and slight dizziness that I got last Sunday? I'm wondering now what is was that was so affecting me. What physical symptoms have you had? I've got a similar thing with taking blood pressure medication and it changing and not changing due to my weight, so now it could be wrong.
  • likitisplit
    Varda, me??? I'm just getting out a few times a week and plodding along. It's all of you that are amazing, what with the good times, the races, the groups. It all keeps me very inspired and motivated.

Yes, you. I need the times, the races and the groups to stay on focus. You do it all on your own. THAT IS SO AWESOME.