Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Big news! I hope I can remember how to post a picture, because I now have an officially recorded sub-ten, road mile! :-)
    It was sunny and 52 degrees! I ran in short sleeves! Joy!!!! And most importantly, no Yaks. I felt so freeeee!!!!!

ScreenShot2014-03-07at94445PM_zps3894c76b.png
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Lowercase img
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    infection and fever for me lately...just now felt good enough to run and eased back in tonight

48 minute run @ 9:50...was all right...feb 23 was my last run prior to this, and you can def tell there was some drawback...although i think it can be quickly recovered. congrats on your sub 10 evr
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Big news! I hope I can remember how to post a picture, because I now have an officially recorded sub-ten, road mile! :-)
    It was sunny and 52 degrees! I ran in short sleeves! Joy!!!! And most importantly, no Yaks. I felt so freeeee!!!!!

Now that's a thing of beauty! My Yaks have been a lifesaver this winter...but I can't wait until I don't need them.

Glad you're starting to feel better Joe!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Went to yoga this morning then ran 8 miles this afternoon. It was 27 degrees and sunny with a bit of a wind but for the most part it wasn't too cold. I scoped out the route I planned to run and the roads were in rough shape (half wet / half icy) so I went to my backup route, which is a 2.5 mile loop. I was able to run on the road most of the time although there were a lot of puddles from snow melting so I had to stop a couple of times to let cars go so I could run around a couple of particularly big ones, and there were spots where the shoulders were icy so I had to step very gingerly.

I put in Jantastic that I was going to run 4 miles & had to predict a time, so I reset my Garmin halfway through so I would get my 4 mile data.

Miles 1-4 took me 54:44 (avg pace 13:42) and I burned 427 calories per my HRM
    Miles 5-8 took me 53:52 (avg page 13:29) and I burned 379 calories per my HRM

That's actually faster than my on-snow pace but not anywhere near the pace I was running pre-snow. Beth got faster from running on snow; I might be permanently slower.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    You'll get it back.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Ceci, that is an awesome run!!!

Madmiss and Jo, glad to see you are back running.

Beth, all that running on the track seems to be paying off for you.

Laura, I go through phases when my pace is really slow but as Varda says it does come back!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    We met up for our monthly group trail run this morning. My wife & I wanted to get more miles in so we got there shortly after 6am and ran 5 miles in the darkness. Daylight savings was not nice for early morning runners today! We then got some demo Montrail shoes to try out and headed back out with the group for another 5 miles. Then it was off to the doughnut shop where I definitely ate more calories than I burned, but it was worth it.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options

Terrific, Beth!! Great run! Plus, it sounds like you are a great coach, too. I would love to run with your group.
    infection and fever for me lately...just now felt good enough to run and eased back in tonight

48 minute run @ 9:50...was all right...feb 23 was my last run prior to this, and you can def tell there was some drawback...although i think it can be quickly recovered. congrats on your sub 10 evr
    Really sorry that you were sick, Joe. Glad that you are feeling better.

Sounds like a fun run this morning, Tim.

You'll go faster, Laura, as soon as you have sure footing. Partially clear footing isn't much better than not clear at all, because you still need to be careful all the time. For now, just relax and run. You're doing fine.

Thanks to Varda's link, I was able to plan out 5k, 3.5 mile, 4 mile, 5 mile, and 10k runs from the same starting point over familiar ground and with clear and easy to remember starting, stopping, and turn around points. So today I ran naked. No electronics at all. I just looked at the clock before I left the house and looked at it again when I got home. I had fun and Fells and I ran a practice 10k race. It was in the low 40sF and sunny. I was hungry so I ate a Power Bar "Performance Energy Blast" gel chew and carried three more. I ate one at 1 mile and walked about a minute, walked about a minute at 2 miles, turned around and ate a chew while walking a minute at 3 miles, walked a minute and ate a gel at 4 miles, walked a minute at about 5 miles, and then finished the run. Looking back I don't think that I needed all the walk breaks, but it's what I planned, so I did them. Next time I run this 10k route, I'll do three of the minute walk breaks at 1.5, 3, and 4.5 miles and see how that works out.
    This was a really fun run!

I'm going to go back and plan out 7, 8, 9, and 10 mile routes for the future. Even with electronics I really like knowing where and over what ground I'm going to run.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I hope you're right!

Tim that sounds like kind of a perfect morning!

Donna I love those chews. I don't know how I'd feel about running naked. I finally just dropped down from 3 devices (Endomondo, Garmin & Fitbit) to 2 (stopped using Endomondo).
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

Sweet!! Nice job!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Went to yoga this morning then ran 8 miles this afternoon. It was 27 degrees and sunny with a bit of a wind but for the most part it wasn't too cold. I scoped out the route I planned to run and the roads were in rough shape (half wet / half icy) so I went to my backup route, which is a 2.5 mile loop. I was able to run on the road most of the time although there were a lot of puddles from snow melting so I had to stop a couple of times to let cars go so I could run around a couple of particularly big ones, and there were spots where the shoulders were icy so I had to step very gingerly.

I put in Jantastic that I was going to run 4 miles & had to predict a time, so I reset my Garmin halfway through so I would get my 4 mile data.

That's actually faster than my on-snow pace but not anywhere near the pace I was running pre-snow. Beth got faster from running on snow; I might be permanently slower.

I wouldn't conclude that. You were still dealing with yucky terrain and traffic. I do think all the indoor track work has really worked for me. I push my pace each lap and keep my eye on the track clock. If I run one lap in a minute or less I know I am keeping a better than 10:30 pace. I am loosely following a FIRST plan, that recommends running your shorter runs at tempo pace. I also have conquered my distaste for hills and they are a part of most of my runs. On some of my short runs I do repeats. That has built my confidence and mental strength so much. Do you have access to a track? This is a link to the first article if you are interested.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/first-half-marathon-training-plan?page=single
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Tim, your day sounds just about perfect!

Romy, I think you are dead on about the track! I really think it helped me kick it up a notch.

Bts, you and Varda are inspiring me to run naked just for the heck of it. How nice to just enjoy the run. I wish we all could run together! Thanks for the vote of confidence on coaching. I am trying! I love this running thing so much. I just want to pay it forward. I really look forward to Tuesdays!

Laura-baby steps on the going naked. LOL! I totally get it. We are progress junkies. How can you keep a spreadsheet or have a good gauge of progress without data?

Today I ran my new longest distance, 9+ miles at an 11:30 average pace. My last mile was a wee bit over 11:00 and was my fastest mile! I was so shocked and pleased! It was 36 degrees and sunny! The bike trail portion was a little icy/snowy but mostly the roads/sidewalks were clear and dry. No yaks again! It was awesome! I really believe I can make it 13.1.

I saw the sticker I want…”I’m only half crazy…13.1”.

I also got Brooks Ghost 6’s that I am really looking forward to running in, but they will need to be exchanged ☹ The brooks emblems were not completely sewn down. I wrestled with whether to keep them, since that doesn’t really affect the function of the shoe, but for $110 I want shoes that at least start out unblemished.

I hope everybody had a wonderful weekend!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    No running for me over the weekend but I did ride 51 miles yesterday.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Donna - you know you're a runner when...

12. You know the exact mark of a mile in any direction from your front door.

http://womensrunning.competitor.com/2013/07/just-for-fun/20-signs-you-know-youre-a-runner_13932

Having 5k and 10k routes mapped out just confirms that you are hard-core.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Second run after being out of the loop for a few weeks, 3 miles outside. It felt so good to run outside! Temps were upper 20s and the 10 day forecast has nothing below 30. Maybe, just maybe spring will actually happen. I don't mind more snow, just sick of the stupid cold temps.

Varda, I kept thinking about what you said about not pushing it, so I started talking to myself to make sure I wasn't going faster than conversational pace. I'm glad nobody was around, they might have thought I was a bit crazy.

I'm so glad to see you back here, Rindy! :-) Of course you are crazy. We all are. You know you're a runner when...talking out loud to yourself in public seems like a good idea. LOL!

Makes total sense to me...
  • joedfro
    Options

I also got Brooks Ghost 6’s that I am really looking forward to running in, but they will need to be exchanged ☹ The brooks emblems were not completely sewn down. I wrestled with whether to keep them, since that doesn’t really affect the function of the shoe, but for $110 I want shoes that at least start out unblemished.

I finally ponied up the money for some Brooks Ghost 6 myself...I had a 10% coupon so I did it.

I am wearing them to work today to lightly break them in before I run tonight. Got a letter in the mail about a 5K I was supposed to do in December but was rescheduled due to weather conditions...Looks like we are on for April 13th now...I had forgoten about entering that race and was gonna make the half coming up my second and final race. But I guess I'm doing another 5K.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

I wouldn't conclude that. You were still dealing with yucky terrain and traffic. I do think all the indoor track work has really worked for me. I push my pace each lap and keep my eye on the track clock. If I run one lap in a minute or less I know I am keeping a better than 10:30 pace. I am loosely following a FIRST plan, that recommends running your shorter runs at tempo pace. I also have conquered my distaste for hills and they are a part of most of my runs. On some of my short runs I do repeats. That has built my confidence and mental strength so much. Do you have access to a track? This is a link to the first article if you are interested.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/first-half-marathon-training-plan?page=single

Thanks for the link. They need to make a version of this for slow runners so sentences like "For example, our 1:30 half-marathoner would run his long run at 7:22 per mile." wouldn't freak me out so much. I won't have access to a track until the snow melts, but then I could get on the local high school track.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Thanks for the link. They need to make a version of this for slow runners so sentences like "For example, our 1:30 half-marathoner would run his long run at 7:22 per mile." wouldn't freak me out so much. I won't have access to a track until the snow melts, but then I could get on the local high school track.

I just giggle at that. Who runs a 1:30 half?
  • joedfro
    Options

I just giggle at that. Who runs a 1:30 half?

I will...definitely not today...but someday