Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member

I just giggle at that. Who runs a 1:30 half?

I will...definitely not today...but someday

I'll get there in a couple years or so.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    31 minute easy run @ 9:12 3.4 miles

new ghosts felt good on feet...but muscle soreness in front of legs, I suspect it's because my form is terrible, kinda look like I'm falling down when i run...but i felt more smooth...i will hope that these muscles that are sore are just muscles that are finally getting involved into this crazy thing i'm doing.

On a side note:

warm temps bring out "casual" walkers... and by this i am not trying to be mean or offend others, but I was quite frustrated that they would walk 5 deep and on the the inside lanes.. not once did they move over to let me run by..had to take to the grass on the track. Also their kids would randomly stand or walk out onto the track. So rude. End of rant.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    In response to the 1:30 HM...I totally agree Laura and Varda! I just tried to get over the fact that I wasn't even on their chart. The math still works. I like knowing just what pace I should be running for each type of run or workout based off of my pace.

Tim and Joe, I have no doubt that you will run that fast or faster someday!

Joe, I wonder if your soreness has to do with the toecurl the shoe has? the curl upward at the toe is supposed to help you roll through. Or something like that. As for your form...falling is good! Make gravity work for you every step! LOL!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    For anybody just starting this group, this thread is a place for us all to check in on our running plans and cross training schedules...and everything related (and some things non-related)....
  • likitisplit
    31 minute easy run @ 9:12 3.4 miles

new ghosts felt good on feet...but muscle soreness in front of legs, I suspect it's because my form is terrible, kinda look like I'm falling down when i run...but i felt more smooth...i will hope that these muscles that are sore are just muscles that are finally getting involved into this crazy thing i'm doing.

On a side note:

warm temps bring out "casual" walkers... and by this i am not trying to be mean or offend others, but I was quite frustrated that they would walk 5 deep and on the the inside lanes.. not once did they move over to let me run by..had to take to the grass on the track. Also their kids would randomly stand or walk out onto the track. So rude. End of rant.

If it's not causing you to change your gait or speed, then I'd just call new muscle and keep a mental eye on it.

I totally get the walkers on the track. Think of them as cross training. ;)
  • likitisplit
    In response to the 1:30 HM...I totally agree Laura and Varda! I just tried to get over the fact that I wasn't even on their chart. The math still works. I like knowing just what pace I should be running for each type of run or workout based off of my pace.

Joe, I wonder if your soreness has to do with the toecurl the shoe has? the curl upward at the toe is supposed to help you roll through. Or something like that. As for your form...falling is good! Make gravity work for you every step! LOL!

If your toes are up, it's supposed to help you load your calves more quickly.

To be realistic: a 1:30 half is just under a 7 minute mile. All of our men are probably capable of that and at least a quarter of our women. However, that possibility is so far down the road that I just file it under "crazy things my plan asks me to do" and refuse to think about it yet.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    LOL at 1:30 half. Considering that I finished my 10k just under 1:05...

Got in another 20 miles on the bike yesterday. I want the weather to stay just like it is now, but the next round of cold comes in tomorrow.
  • likitisplit

Got in another 20 miles on the bike yesterday. I want the weather to stay just like it is now, but the next round of cold comes in tomorrow.

My FitTrip competition's weekly challenge is 100 miles on the bike. Can you do that one for me, or maybe have you and KP split it?

Just kidding.

Mostly...
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member

My FitTrip competition's weekly challenge is 100 miles on the bike. Can you do that one for me, or maybe have you and KP split it?

Just kidding.

Mostly...

71 down, 29 to go. Should knock out at least half of that today and zing it out of the park on Saturday!

:laugh:
  • likitisplit

Just kidding.

Mostly...

71 down, 29 to go. Should knock out at least half of that today and zing it out of the park on Saturday!

You are UNREAL! Love it.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    intervals tonight:

5 minutes warm up / cool down @ 10:00
    00:50 at 6:30, with 1:30 recovery jog @ 10:30

ran a little more to even out to 3 miles...amoutned to about 27 minutes of running.

Feels great, but the heat (78 degrees..haha) made me red faced

oavn0l.jpg

i wanna learn to bike!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Nice run Joe! Yeah it was warm here too for tonight's group run - about 75. Got in 3.2 miles at 9:30 pace. Felt great!
  • bttrthanevr
    intervals tonight:

5 minutes warm up / cool down @ 10:00
    00:50 at 6:30, with 1:30 recovery jog @ 10:30

ran a little more to even out to 3 miles...amoutned to about 27 minutes of running.

Feels great, but the heat (78 degrees..haha) made me red faced

oavn0l.jpg

i wanna learn to bike!

Awesome, Joe! Cute pic too!!! I Love it!
    The bike makes a nice breeze. I hope too get into biking more this summer. My husband loves to ride as much as I love to run. Make sure you replenish those fluids!
  • bttrthanevr

Just kidding.

Mostly...

You are UNREAL! Love it.

Ceci, I agree with Varda!^^^
  • bttrthanevr

If your toes are up, it's supposed to help you load your calves more quickly.

To be realistic: a 1:30 half is just under a 7 minute mile. All of our men are probably capable of that and at least a quarter of our women. However, that possibility is so far down the road that I just file it under "crazy things my plan asks me to do" and refuse to think about it yet.

I need to get my shoes exchanged so I can run in them. I'm excited about them.

I am secretly hoping for a 11:30 pace for my half. That would be a bit over 2:30 hours. Unfortunately there's a nice big long hill in the middle of it. Fortunately that means the second half is back downhill! I will be happy just to finish running. I need to start practicing on the route so I can own that hill!

I did a hilly run tonight with my group. I chose the route (4.6 miles) and set the pace (about 12:00 average). The second mile was a steady 250 foot climb. It was nice to see how pleased everyone was with themselves. That climb is tough. They took it on and whipped it! We WILL be ready to run the Cinco HM! Hills schmills...what goes up must come down! :-)
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    NIce pic joe!!!! You look like Daniel Cameron sort of ;)

Go Beth!!!! Sub 10!!!!

I've been out an about a few times, only ever 3 miles at a clip though, but hopefully I'll be back at it hard core soon. Feeling good, and can't remember who the orig poster was. But whoever said to try and walk in a straight line and it making you feel pigeon toes would help your form. I started doing it and it totally does, all my leg and ankle pain went away and I got faster. I'm trying conscientiously to each time I run the 1 mile track by my office, which I did today, 3 laps in 87!!!! degrees!!!

On another note, my hot pink hydra quiver came in today ;) woot woot! Can't wait to use it! Used he demo model today and needed it badly - had a drink every half mile or so - it was very handy!

Oh and each time I run the track I'm a rebel and don't stretch. It's wierd I feel so naughty but also better, somehow?!?!? Not sure how that's possible, but hey whatever works!
  • bttrthanevr
    NIce pic joe!!!! You look like Daniel Cameron sort of ;)

Go Beth!!!! Sub 10!!!!

I've been out an about a few times, only ever 3 miles at a clip though, but hopefully I'll be back at it hard core soon. Feeling good, and can't remember who the orig poster was. But whoever said to try and walk in a straight line and it making you feel pigeon toes would help your form. I started doing it and it totally does, all my leg and ankle pain went away and I got faster. I'm trying conscientiously to each time I run the 1 mile track by my office, which I did today, 3 laps in 87!!!! degrees!!!

On another note, my hot pink hydra quiver came in today ;) woot woot! Can't wait to use it! Used he demo model today and needed it badly - had a drink every half mile or so - it was very handy!

Oh and each time I run the track I'm a rebel and don't stretch. It's wierd I feel so naughty but also better, somehow?!?!? Not sure how that's possible, but hey whatever works!

87 degrees!!!! Wowza! I guess you did need that quiver of water!!!! I can't even fathom that kind of heat. I'm glad to hear that you are on a comeback trail! You will be laying down tons of miles before you know it.

You better be stretching though, you rebel. That will bite you in the butt if you don't watch out. :-)
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Got 4.3 miles in this afternoon. All I have to say about that is that is sucks to run when you are sick, but you guys already know that.

I went to my first running club meeting today. They had it at a physical therapy office. It was mainly a big Q&A session, a lot of questions about hip strength and how a lack of it can cause issues with your knees. From what I'm told it was a slim turnout, yet there were still a good 25 or so people there. Most of them die hard marathoners, that talk about doing a slow 8 min/mile pace for 15 miles :) I did actually find someone that is as slow as me. I'm told more of the relatively newer/slower runners come out when spring hits. Looking forward to meeting more of them.
  • bttrthanevr
    Got 4.3 miles in this afternoon. All I have to say about that is that is sucks to run when you are sick, but you guys already know that.

I went to my first running club meeting today. They had it at a physical therapy office. It was mainly a big Q&A session, a lot of questions about hip strength and how a lack of it can cause issues with your knees. From what I'm told it was a slim turnout, yet there were still a good 25 or so people there. Most of them die hard marathoners, that talk about doing a slow 8 min/mile pace for 15 miles :) I did actually find someone that is as slow as me. I'm told more of the relatively newer/slower runners come out when spring hits. Looking forward to meeting more of them.

Way to slug it out despite the ick, Rindy.

I think we need to stop categorizing ourselves as slow, even though "Slow is the new fast"! We need some re-branding. Madmiss, aren't you in Advertising? Determined? Deliberate? Dogged? Triple D's! Nah, that's no good...Help me out here people. Our tenacity and dedication deserves positive recognition. :-)
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    I'm not saying I'm slow to be negative, it's reality and it doesn't bother me any at all. I don't compete with others, I compete with myself. I'll get faster as I go. It's just going to take more miles on the road. My 4-6 mile runs average between 13:30 and 14:30. I've done three 5ks and all in 39 minutes and change. I just really have to laugh when people talk about a slow pace at 8 or 9, for me it's a dream to break 10 min/mile. I read somewhere that the fast people should thank all of us slow pokes, cause we make them look good. If everyone was fast, would it still be special?