Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    can you do p90x without the weights..specifically dumbbells?
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    There are many body-weight exercises in P90X but you would be missing the benefit of over half the total exercises without weights. I would at least buy some cheap resistance bands - that's how I originally started strength training over a year before moving on to P90X. Body-weight squats are great if you want to avoid P90X and weights. As are pistol squats - I've been working on those lately. And there's a lot you can do with just a stability ball (awesome for core & hip work). I would also recommend you do some clamshells, side-leg raises, hip hikes, and monster walks 2-3 times a week. Hip weakness is something that affects most runners and lead to many seemingly non-related injuries like runner's knee, ITBS, and tendonitis in the lower legs.
  • joedfro
    Options
    settled... I will try P90X...I think i will adjust nutrition along their guidelines as closely as I can...(that is an assload of protein). I may call on you tim for tips and tricks...this will be my first foray into actually working out.

Now to find a P90X that someone bought and hardly used...off to craigslist!
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Good luck Joe! I didn't really follow their diet guidelines that closely. At first I dropped my carbs pretty low for at least a month and I saw my body fat dropping. But at the same time I was trying to run more and eventually the lack of enough carbs caught up to me. I slowly brought up my carb intake a little more each month. Now I'm at 40% carbs and it seems like a good amount, at least until I hit marathon training.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    nice run Ceci..

Has anyone tried insanity or P90X? I'm thinking of trying insanity to shed these last few pounds and also to use as a crosstraining type of type which I am lacking in. I don't want to build muscle like a bodybuilder so I am hesitant that P90X is more for building mass.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experiences with these programs.

I am doing Insanity at the moment, half way through the program for the 3rd time! As you can guess I love it. My husband does it too, he has tried other workouts (Tapout XT, Rushfit etc) but he always goes back to Insanity because it's the only one that motivates him. Choose something you enjoy because if you want to complete the whole program it needs to be enjoyable. But I do love weight lifting too and I sweat much less doing it!

I was at the doctor today about my sore thigh. I have to go for an x-ray next week to rule out a stress fracture, if that comes back clear I will be referred to physiotherapy. I asked the doctor if I could carry on exercising and was surprised when she said yes! Although she did say I am not allowed to run marathons though, lol!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Aww, honey. I wish I could come up there and do long runs with you. Doing a half is so amazing and so overwhelming all at the same time.

I wish you could too. :)
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I own the original P90 - did it for 45 days religiously, got sick for a week, and never started it up again. That version was awfully boring - lots of repetition. You did one workout days 1, 3 and 5 and the other workout days 2, 4 and 6, with the 7th day as a rest day. You did 2 sets of a bunch of things and when you moved to the advanced disk you did 3 sets of those exact same things (with options for making those same moves more challenging - like starting with knee push-ups, then moving to full push-ups, then moving to inverted push-ups). I was in horrible, horrible shape at the time so even the basic things were challenging for me, but even then I got bored.
  • joedfro
    Options
    well crap... just when i thought i knew what i was gonna do, i overthink it again...i dunno, i gotta figure something out and do more than just run
  • joedfro
    Options
    29 minute threshold run (5 min warm up/cool down and a 3 minute recovery jog) for an average of 9:05....

felt good and like i could've went another 3 miles
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    well crap... just when i thought i knew what i was gonna do, i overthink it again...i dunno, i gotta figure something out and do more than just run

I don't know. Sounds like Laura has the program for sale. Tim is right: you do need to strength train, especially since you're over 40.

I'm doing a progressive body weight program (convict conditioning), sort of a Callesthenics version of strong lifts 5x5 + biomechanics and mobility.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    5 miles last night and I stumbled across a really cool trail pretty near my office (about 2 miles). Of course, I might be changing locations soon :(

When I did the Good Form Running clinic, one lady who had just started running again after years was blowing herself out after a couple of minutes..."and I'm only doing a warmup at 11:30, so it's not that I'm going too fast." I was like "11:30 is my 5k pace. It IS possible to run slower than that."

I think 11:30 is totally doable for you, Beth. If you slow down on your long runs, don't despair. My experience was that the race was WAY easier. Just run to finish and you'll probably surprise yourself.

Hopefully you stay with your current assignment long enough to enjoy that trail!

The great news is that my new personal trainer works out of her home...which backs up to that trail.

Did I mention that she's a runner who has trained with Jeff Galloway's wife and has run stretching clinics for them?

Uh. NO! You did not mention it. That's like totally awesome!!!!!
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    High 40's yesterday when I got home from work. Perfect for a run around the neighborhood!

2 miles + warm-up and cool-down:

3-12-14_zpsc0057571.jpg

Will be back on the bike today to finish Varda's 100 mile challenge!

Wow, Chickie! You are fast!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

I don't know. Sounds like Laura has the program for sale. Tim is right: you do need to strength train, especially since you're over 40.

I'm doing a progressive body weight program (convict conditioning), sort of a Callesthenics version of strong lifts 5x5 + biomechanics and mobility.

Mine is the P90, not the P90X - the P90X they fixed the boring flaw from the P90.

And ditto the recommendation about strength training. I didn't start doing it until 44 and I absolutely love it. There are so many things you can do to strengthen you as a runner. You need strong hips. You need a strong core. You don't want to be bulky, but the people who get bulky really have to work hard to get there.
  • joedfro
    Options
    did not like hearing i was over 40 :( i'll start some strength training, just looking fora place to start.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Mine is the P90, not the P90X - the P90X they fixed the boring flaw from the P90.

And ditto the recommendation about strength training. I didn't start doing it until 44 and I absolutely love it. There are so many things you can do to strengthen you as a runner. You need strong hips. You need a strong core. You don't want to be bulky, but the people who get bulky really have to work hard to get there.

Yeah. P90X is a much different animal than P90. I did a few of the P90 videos before getting into P90X.

Running stuff this week:
    Tuesday: 3.2 miles group run
    Wednesday: track workout - 6 x 400m at 7:20 pace (total 3.75 miles with w/u and c/d)
    Thursday: 3.25 miles group run

Tomorrow is a 2.5 mile trail race - the 3rd race of my 8-race series. After the race I'm headed over to the Suwanee Beerfest where they have well over 200 American craft beers represented. For $35 I get a glass and unlimited refills for 4 hours. My Sunday long run should be interesting!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    did not like hearing i was over 40 :(

:laugh:

15.25 miles on the bike yesterday. That puts me at almost 107 for the week, and I'm not done yet! (If the rain holds off!)
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Torrential rain today so no run for me. But I did enter the Spring Fling virtual 5k in April! Everyone at my work thinks that is really cool! Got a phone call from radiology today and I've got an appointment 9am Monday, if everything is okay I should have an appointment with physiology by the end of the week (they aren't very busy at the moment, lol, so I can get a next day appointment). Still not 100% sold on my running shoes, did 3k in them and they felt great, did 4k on the same route a couple of days later and they killed my feet right from the start!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2014 8:21 PM
    To: JM
    Subject: 100 mile bike challenge

As I mentioned, I wasn't going to be able to do the bike challenge. However, I had my friend who is a hardcore biker do it for me. She's done 107 miles so far this week. Does this count?

Varda
    Sent: Friday, March 14, 2014 12:57 PM
    To: VL
    Subject: RE: 100 mile bike challenge

LOL, that’s funny! Unfortunately, no.

Tell your friend thank you though.
    -JM

Sent: Friday, March 14, 2014 1:45 PM
    Subject: "Timing of Food" Nutrition Seminar

Hello all,

I want to invite you all to join me on Wednesday, March 26th for a special Nutrition Seminar entitled “Clean Eating and the Timing of Food”. The seminar will begin at 1:30pm and last for approximately one hour. I will be providing nutrition tips concerning timing your meals for optimum results. I will discuss some of the basics of nutrition and macronutrients and how each one plays a part in helping you reach your goals. Lastly, following the seminar I will be open to answer any questions about my personal experience and how timing my food and eating clean has helped me physically and how it has allowed me to take my fitness to another level.

I look forward to seeing you all there, and if you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Be Fit,
    JM

Sent: Friday, March 14, 2014 1:46 PM
    To: JM
    Subject: RE: "Timing of Food" Nutrition Seminar

The term “clean eating” makes me want to bang my head against a desk. ;P

Sent: Friday, March 14, 2014 1:50 PM
    Subject: "Timing of Food" Nutrition Seminar

LOL
  • likitisplit
    Options
    did not like hearing i was over 40 :( i'll start some strength training, just looking fora place to start.

I think Beth is our baby.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Really love read this topic! Laughs, inspiration, and ideas!

Ran 6.5 miles and walked for about a half hour today. My hips, butt, and calves hurt. I am absolutely delighted about that, weird though that is. I like that it's an even kind of hurt, equal on both sides which means that it's not on the "knee gives me problems" side and it's not on the other side which would mean I'm over compensating. It's an equal hurt. Yeah!

One strange thing I've been noticing for the past month is that I'm noticing the downhills. It used to be that when I ran my regular route 5k or 4 mile, that I'd run the flat (a little longer for the 4 mile), then run up the long mile hill, then turn around and run down the hill and then the flat. I'd feel going up the hill. Boy, did I feel the hill. But then I'd be tired and just focused on the running home without really noticing anything other than breathing, posture, and getting one foot in front of the other and under the body. Then, just lately I've been feeling the hill. You know as a child the little thrill you get as you run downhill (or maybe you all get that now too), I'm feeling that, "Whee! Fun!" feeling during the steeper parts of the downhill. I'm even feeling it on the 10k when it occurs off and on mile 5, when I should be really tired again, but I'm still feeling it. I like that.