Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    5 miles last night and I stumbled across a really cool trail pretty near my office (about 2 miles). Of course, I might be changing locations soon :(

When I did the Good Form Running clinic, one lady who had just started running again after years was blowing herself out after a couple of minutes..."and I'm only doing a warmup at 11:30, so it's not that I'm going too fast." I was like "11:30 is my 5k pace. It IS possible to run slower than that."

I think 11:30 is totally doable for you, Beth. If you slow down on your long runs, don't despair. My experience was that the race was WAY easier. Just run to finish and you'll probably surprise yourself.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    LOL at 1:30 half. Considering that I finished my 10k just under 1:05...

Got in another 20 miles on the bike yesterday. I want the weather to stay just like it is now, but the next round of cold comes in tomorrow.

My FitTrip competition's weekly challenge is 100 miles on the bike. Can you do that one for me, or maybe have you and KP split it?

Just kidding.

Mostly...

71 down, 29 to go. Should knock out at least half of that today and zing it out of the park on Saturday!

:laugh:

You are UNREAL! Love it.

Ceci, I agree with Varda!^^^

You guys! :blushing:

You are the ones who are UNREAL with all the running!
    i wanna learn to bike!

Awesome, Joe! Cute pic too!!! I Love it!
    The bike makes a nice breeze. I hope too get into biking more this summer. My husband loves to ride as much as I love to run. Make sure you replenish those fluids!

I wish my husband would run or ride with me. All he wants to do is SWIM! (I'm so NOT a swimmer!)

I knocked out another 20 miles on the bike yesterday, dodging pedestrians on the trails. The next time the weather is perfect like it was yesterday, I'll have to go out to the local National Park to avoid the crowds!

The temperature has dropped 30 degrees, so highs only in the low 40's today. Maybe I'll run today...
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    thanks madmiss and bttr for the kind comments... the posted pic was kind of a continuation of the thing i was doing with my wife where we have been poking fun of our daughter for her selfies... i spent all day taking a selfie and messaging it to my wife everytime i did something... it was real funny, but you kinda had to be there..

pretty jealous that you guys have been able to find running clubs.. today is an off day unfortunately and then plan has all my distances short since i changed it up to train for the unexpected 5K a month from now, so it has mostly been speedwork...after that 5k i'll have a month to prepare for the half, i just want to finish it without dying so I am not concerned about time, plus whatever time it ends of being, that will be a PR since it's my only

I can get my wife to go to the track...she is doing the couch to 5k...she took the winter off, so she is starting all over... I am not sure it will stick, but I appreciate that she goes out when i have short workouts, even if she walks.

I need to learn about biking, cause I am sure i'll enjoy it.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    thanks madmiss and bttr for the kind comments... the posted pic was kind of a continuation of the thing i was doing with my wife where we have been poking fun of our daughter for her selfies... i spent all day taking a selfie and messaging it to my wife everytime i did something... it was real funny, but you kinda had to be there..

pretty jealous that you guys have been able to find running clubs.. today is an off day unfortunately and then plan has all my distances short since i changed it up to train for the unexpected 5K a month from now, so it has mostly been speedwork...after that 5k i'll have a month to prepare for the half, i just want to finish it without dying so I am not concerned about time, plus whatever time it ends of being, that will be a PR since it's my only

I can get my wife to go to the track...she is doing the couch to 5k...she took the winter off, so she is starting all over... I am not sure it will stick, but I appreciate that she goes out when i have short workouts, even if she walks.

Just finishing is *the* goal for your first half. It's too long to race it until you have a feel for the distance in a race atmosphere.

I'm no longer jealous of everybody on here who has found a run group, because I'm now doing the 4 group trail runs with BPRC in Kennesaw. The first one is 5k, this Saturday at 8 am. Given my life and priorities, this is a best case scenario for me.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    First of all, I'm going to start calling Joe 007 because I totally see the Bond, James Bond thing going.

Joe I first did C25K the summer of 2012. Finished, ran 5K, and then quit. The spring of 2013 I started again from scratch and this time it stuck for me. If I can run through a Minnesota winter, I figure I'm in it as long as I stay healthy. It's totally possible the same thing will happen for your wife! (Well hopefully she's not having to run through a Minnesota winter, but the part about it sticking.)

I ended up dropping out of the HM training group I had signed up for. My primary purpose for doing it was to have a group to run with, and after talking with my cousin who did it last year I'm pretty sure I'd be running alone. She was doing 12 minute miles on the long runs and she was way in the back by herself. If I'm going to run by myself I'd just as soon do it on my own schedule. They were following the Higdon plan, which my trainer had me print out so he can use that as a starting point to customize a training plan for me including some hills, speed work, longer long runs (so I'm not dropping back to 4 miles and rebuilding to where I am now), etc. He also sees me three times a week so if I have any aches or pains or issues he can adjust for me on the fly. I was thinking it was going to be something like the group that Beth is coaching, not just everybody starting out together than doing their own thing.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Aww, honey. I wish I could come up there and do long runs with you. Doing a half is so amazing and so overwhelming all at the same time.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I love reading all your posts! You've inspired me to try to find a half marathon to enter, probably in the Fall, if there are any that don't conflict with a dog event weekend. I've got at least one dog event every weekend from now until mid-June. It's going to be a bit challenging to fit my runs around them.

Today I ran to my Metabolic Conditioning class. Using the link that Varda gave me, I found that it was 1.5 miles from when I cross the highway to the door of the Fitness Studio (it takes me about 5 minutes to walk from my house to the light to cross the street there, so that's my warmup and cooldown for most of my runs), So I ran the mile and a half, then had the class, and then ran back. The weather people had been predicting a thunderstorm tonight, so I made sure that I had a baseball cap on and wore my Apollo running shoes. I thought that those shoes would be best in the rain and they did great. It was indeed storming when the class was over and so I ran back in twilight with the rain pounding and the wind blowing. It had gotten into the upper 60s F today and despite the fact that there's supposed to be a high of 32 F tomorrow, it was still in the low 60's this evening when class was over. Running in the rain felt invigorating!
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    First of all, I'm going to start calling Joe 007 because I totally see the Bond, James Bond thing going.

Joe I first did C25K the summer of 2012. Finished, ran 5K, and then quit. The spring of 2013 I started again from scratch and this time it stuck for me. If I can run through a Minnesota winter, I figure I'm in it as long as I stay healthy. It's totally possible the same thing will happen for your wife! (Well hopefully she's not having to run through a Minnesota winter, but the part about it sticking.)

I ended up dropping out of the HM training group I had signed up for. My primary purpose for doing it was to have a group to run with, and after talking with my cousin who did it last year I'm pretty sure I'd be running alone. She was doing 12 minute miles on the long runs and she was way in the back by herself. If I'm going to run by myself I'd just as soon do it on my own schedule. They were following the Higdon plan, which my trainer had me print out so he can use that as a starting point to customize a training plan for me including some hills, speed work, longer long runs (so I'm not dropping back to 4 miles and rebuilding to where I am now), etc. He also sees me three times a week so if I have any aches or pains or issues he can adjust for me on the fly. I was thinking it was going to be something like the group that Beth is coaching, not just everybody starting out together than doing their own thing.

Dang it! I wish we didn't live all spread apart! We could train together. Well, in a way, I guess we are. But actually running together would be awesome!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    I love reading all your posts! You've inspired me to try to find a half marathon to enter, probably in the Fall, if there are any that don't conflict with a dog event weekend. I've got at least one dog event every weekend from now until mid-June. It's going to be a bit challenging to fit my runs around them.

Today I ran to my Metabolic Conditioning class. Using the link that Varda gave me, I found that it was 1.5 miles from when I cross the highway to the door of the Fitness Studio (it takes me about 5 minutes to walk from my house to the light to cross the street there, so that's my warmup and cooldown for most of my runs), So I ran the mile and a half, then had the class, and then ran back. The weather people had been predicting a thunderstorm tonight, so I made sure that I had a baseball cap on and wore my Apollo running shoes. I thought that those shoes would be best in the rain and they did great. It was indeed storming when the class was over and so I ran back in twilight with the rain pounding and the wind blowing. It had gotten into the upper 60s F today and despite the fact that there's supposed to be a high of 32 F tomorrow, it was still in the low 60's this evening when class was over. Running in the rain felt invigorating!

Oh, Donna! I can't tell you how happy this post makes me!!! Crazy loves company, you know. You rock!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    I'm not saying I'm slow to be negative, it's reality and it doesn't bother me any at all. I don't compete with others, I compete with myself. I'll get faster as I go. It's just going to take more miles on the road. My 4-6 mile runs average between 13:30 and 14:30. I've done three 5ks and all in 39 minutes and change. I just really have to laugh when people talk about a slow pace at 8 or 9, for me it's a dream to break 10 min/mile. I read somewhere that the fast people should thank all of us slow pokes, cause we make them look good. If everyone was fast, would it still be special?

Yes! True!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options

LOL! Have you heard the song "#Selfie" by The Chain Smokers?
    I hope it sticks for your wife this time. For her good and yours. (If we can get the significant other involved, we can feel less guilty taking time for running!)

I have no doubt that you will rock your half!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    5 miles last night and I stumbled across a really cool trail pretty near my office (about 2 miles). Of course, I might be changing locations soon :(

When I did the Good Form Running clinic, one lady who had just started running again after years was blowing herself out after a couple of minutes..."and I'm only doing a warmup at 11:30, so it's not that I'm going too fast." I was like "11:30 is my 5k pace. It IS possible to run slower than that."

I think 11:30 is totally doable for you, Beth. If you slow down on your long runs, don't despair. My experience was that the race was WAY easier. Just run to finish and you'll probably surprise yourself.

Hopefully you stay with your current assignment long enough to enjoy that trail!

On the topic of maintaining an 11:30 pace over 13.1 miles...I want to believe you! :-)
  • likitisplit
    Options

Oh, Donna! I can't tell you how happy this post makes me!!! Crazy loves company, you know. You rock!

^^^Yes. This. Exactly.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Hopefully you stay with your current assignment long enough to enjoy that trail!

The great news is that my new personal trainer works out of her home...which backs up to that trail.

Did I mention that she's a runner who has trained with Jeff Galloway's wife and has run stretching clinics for them?
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    High 40's yesterday when I got home from work. Perfect for a run around the neighborhood!

2 miles + warm-up and cool-down:

3-12-14_zpsc0057571.jpg

Will be back on the bike today to finish Varda's 100 mile challenge!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    You are the best, Ceci!

I'm totally going to tell my coordinator that I had a friend complete the challenge for me and ask if that counts.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    The great news is that my new personal trainer works out of her home...which backs up to that trail.

Did I mention that she's a runner who has trained with Jeff Galloway's wife and has run stretching clinics for them?

This is terrific! Things are really looking good for your running future! Please share any good tips. :)
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    nice run Ceci..

Has anyone tried insanity or P90X? I'm thinking of trying insanity to shed these last few pounds and also to use as a crosstraining type of type which I am lacking in. I don't want to build muscle like a bodybuilder so I am hesitant that P90X is more for building mass.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experiences with these programs.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Wasn't Tim doing P90X for awhile?
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Wasn't Tim doing P90X for awhile?

Yep - last spring. P90X strength training routines are great. I highly recommend them. You definitely will not build "bodybuilder" type muscle in that program. But you will build some muscle and get more defined. I think all runners will benefit from strength training. P90X has a great leg routine that has a lot of moves that are good for runners. P90X3 came out recently and has shorter workouts but after watching them I think I still prefer the slightly longer workouts of the classic P90X. After finishing P90X I kind of floundered around for over a month trying to figure out what to do next while I dealt with a hip injury. I finally joined a regular gym so I could step up my strength training. I had maxed out with the weights I had available at home. Joining a gym has been one of the best things I ever did, besides starting to run.

Regarding Insanity, I'm not a big fan. I tried it and to me it's just more cardio and impact on the legs. On non-running days I want to avoid putting a lot of stress on my legs. I'm not that young any more and I need my recovery time. My wife still does it once a week. I go hit the weights while she does her class.