Running accountability!

Options
12345679»

Replies

• zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Yay! Glad to see the runners are back!

I got up at 6:30 am to run W11D2 as I'm going out with a girlfriend tonight for dinner, and it will be too late/I won't have the inclination to run when I get home with a belly full of food and wine! It wasn't too cold, and I got to see the sky turn shades of pink as the sun came up, which was really pretty...around all the houses, trees and hydro poles. But, my legs were HEAVY. I didn't eat anything before I went. I guess I could get away with that on the C25K program, but not on the 10K trainer. Any suggestions on what I can eat first thing, that will digest quickly, give me energy for the run, but not make me throw up and is not a smoothie as I am lactose sensitive?

Knit - it's hard to motivate yourself to run when it's dark & cold. Red - you know, I'm thinking the same thing. This morning's run didn't seem as cold and dark as my after work runs. Also, there was no wind...definitely something to consider. Except for the getting up early part - my running days are Tuesday and Thursday and I play hockey on Monday and Wednesday nights - which often means I'm up super late. I can't seem to get by on 5 hours of sleep like I did in my 20's. :P
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    zanne - when I run first thing I just have a cup of coffee. When I was in training the day of my long run I would have a 1/4 cup of oatmeal or half a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter. A banana is another good option.

I find running in the cold my legs are heavy and I don't run as fast as I think I am.....lol

Karen
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I am going out to drinks then more drinks and snacks tonight so I had to get my run in this morning too. I am so glad I did. I am happy to report that the dog was much more cooperative this morning so I was able to run the entire 4.3 miles. Its great to be officially back to running!

Zanne: a bananas are great. You can also try a couple Shot Bloks a gu or half of a clif bar or similar, even a little bit of gatorade. I personally like some gatorade and half whole wheat english muffin with PB before long runs of 8+
  • zanne54
    Options
    I ran W11D3. It was snowing. Fun times.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Had my community 5K on Saturday and SHREDDED my time from the spring. We had the same race, same course in April and it took me about 42 minutes. This time...26 minutes!! Granted, it turns out it wasn't a full 3.1 miles but I'm too excited about my improvement to care much. :)
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Had my community 5K on Saturday and SHREDDED my time from the spring. We had the same race, same course in April and it took me about 42 minutes. This time...26 minutes!! Granted, it turns out it wasn't a full 3.1 miles but I'm too excited about my improvement to care much. :)

Thats AWESOME!! Congrats! You are one FAST lady!

I had a 4 mile race on Sunday - felt like 10 degrees clear but windy

This week I have a 5 mile turkey trot on Thursday and a 10K on Sunday and then I am done with racing until March!

The 4 miler was the last race I needed to qualify for the 2014 NYC Marathon! So if I choose to, I have the option of doing NYC again!
  • zanne54
    Options
    Fantastic achievements for both of you Knit & Red! Woohoo!

W12D1 completed last night. It started to sleet about halfway through. Fortunately, I finished it before it got too slippery to run. I'm going to try to keep running for as long as I can stand the weather. At some point, I'm going to need to suck up the cost and go buy some proper winter running gear. Just trying to hold off as long as I can as I'm about a size away from goal, and only want to buy gear once!
  • zanne54
    Options
    W12D2 last night. It was -7C/19F, and there was a dusting of snow on the ground. I ran in the middle of the street. Not like Pacman down the dividing line middle, but definitely not on the edge of the road. I didn't want to hit any icy patches covered just enough snow to make them super slippery. I wore 3 shirts - one cotton short sleeve tight fitting v-neck, a long sleeve heavy cotton over it, and another heavy cotton tshirt over that - and I wasn't cold once I got going. At some point, I will have to suck it up and buy proper winter running gear, but I'm going to continue putting it off as long as possible.

I found I had to dig deeper to finish the third set of 18 minutes. Unsure if that was due to feeling a bit "off" the past couple of days, or if it was from running in a colder temperature. I will tell you that by the end of the run, my nose hairs were crunchy from the cold - but not so bad as -12C/10F when they actually freeze.