EPLWE! general chit chat thread.

Options

Replies

• MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I thought some of you might find this IIFYM video by Layne Norton interesting:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6H2edyPLU8

He specifically mentions pizza in the video

FWIW, minimalistshoeaddict inspired this challenge. he's always doing unusual food challenges for himself, so i decided to throw my hat in the ring with this one. there is another eating challenge group on here (i don't know the group name offhand) where they challenge each other to eat certain amounts of calories in certain periods of time, but those guys are mostly bulking and need extra calories. maybe when minimalistshoeaddict sees this post, he can provide the link for those interested in seeing what they do in that group.

Thanks! I think this is the group you are referring to. Anyone interested should feel free to join!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/7058-mfp-speed-eating-competition-
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

it's just a matter of adjusting the amounts and then choosing your other foods wisely... anyone can find room for a daily treat in their diet. they just have to have the understanding of how to do it and the willpower not to let a couple of Hershey's kisses turn into a whole bag of Hershey's kisses in one sitting. i think by not depriving yourself and eating small amounts of foods you love daily, you fight off the urge to binge. that's my experience. i still do occasionally of course. i ate a whole bag of pretzels watching the game on Sunday. fortunately, i have a high TDEE so those 1500-1600 calories weren't a problem. but it would have been better to stop at half a bag. :tongue:

Oh thats not what i meant. I mean, lets say you eat your protein (and some fat) allotment in chicken. You still will have cals, carbs and the like leftover. Does that mean you can eat the remainder in say gummy bears? How does one function w all that sugar, or is IIFYM a little more balanced, allowing for some treats, not crazy ways to fit a lot of junk in there?
    I think it's a very much a personal choice. Myself, I don't worry about sugar or sodium, neither seem to affect me or my weight loss. Here's an example of applying IIFYM to a lower intake day. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity
    She could've had gummie bears, but the ice cream fit in nicely and, equally as important, was what she wanted.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    Options

it's just a matter of adjusting the amounts and then choosing your other foods wisely... anyone can find room for a daily treat in their diet. they just have to have the understanding of how to do it and the willpower not to let a couple of Hershey's kisses turn into a whole bag of Hershey's kisses in one sitting. i think by not depriving yourself and eating small amounts of foods you love daily, you fight off the urge to binge. that's my experience. i still do occasionally of course. i ate a whole bag of pretzels watching the game on Sunday. fortunately, i have a high TDEE so those 1500-1600 calories weren't a problem. but it would have been better to stop at half a bag. :tongue:

Oh thats not what i meant. I mean, lets say you eat your protein (and some fat) allotment in chicken. You still will have cals, carbs and the like leftover. Does that mean you can eat the remainder in say gummy bears? How does one function w all that sugar, or is IIFYM a little more balanced, allowing for some treats, not crazy ways to fit a lot of junk in there?

In the example you just provided (of getting all your protein and fat from chicken and all remaining calories and carbs from gummy bears) the diet would be deficient in fiber.

While fiber is a micro nutrient (not a macro nutrient) it is mentioned specifically in the Layne Norton (PhD in Nutritional Sciences) video I linked. I track fiber as well. Most days (except just prior to a race where I limit it on purpose) my fiber is close to goal.

Sodium and sugar intake concerns are different for different people. Obviously a diabetic with high blood pressure (for example) is in a different situation than I am.

For someone like me both sodium and sugar have an important purpose while training for a marathon:

Sodium:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-runners/pass-salt?page=single

For most endurance athletes with normal blood pressure, too little sodium is more of a concern than too much. This is part of the reason endurance athletes drink Gatorade to replace their electrolytes (potassium and sodium although the importance of calcium, magnesium etc should not be ignored either). Muscle cramping is often caused by low sodium levels. If you often get cramps during/after a long run, swim in the pool or ride on the bike this is something you might want to research as a possible cause.

Sugar:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1091070-carb-loading-the-western-australia-method
    http://beta.active.com/nutrition/articles/the-evolving-art-of-carbo-loading?page=2
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12048325

Large quantities of high glucose index foods such as gummy bears (over a short period of time) can help you attain supranormal muscle glycogen levels which can be very helpful prior to an endurance event such as a marathon (or long distance cycling such as in the cited study)

My point is that while certain micro nutrients are important, don't assume that lots of Doritos (sodium) or gummy bears (sugar) are necessarily bad for everyone in every situation.

For the record I plan on eating a ton of gummy bears or similar foods this Saturday prior to my marathon on Sunday. I used the same method (carb loading protocol with high glucose index foods as described in the strudy above) prior to my 25k race last month
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Ah ok, i get it a little better now. Im just trying to understand IIFYM a little better - theres a right way and a wrong way to do it, right? Or is there no wrong way? I like the fiber idea. I may add that in as well.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    Options
    Ah ok, i get it a little better now. Im just trying to understand IIFYM a little better - theres a right way and a wrong way to do it, right? Or is there no wrong way? I like the fiber idea. I may add that in as well.

You will do great! Different people can be successful with different macro and micro nutrient targets.

I definitely would not tell anyone their method is "wrong" if its working for them!

I am just here because I love pizza and I like to encourage people to continue eating the foods they love as part of a balanced diet instead of giving them up completely:)

Some people may like this idea and some may hate it but there is one thing that really helped me a lot:
    I track all of my calorie and macro targets on a WEEKLY basis. This takes all guilt and stress away from my diet because I know I can exceed my average daily target one day by a large margin and still hit my weekly goal by the end of the week.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Liking life already:

131001total_zpsd69b7a2c.jpg
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    Options
    Liking life already:

Five Guys + Pizza = Delicious menu!
  • LadyKT
    Options
    Liking life already:

Nom...Nom....Nom....
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    Here's my contribution: tonight's dessert:
    602f1981-4708-405b-addd-81febf5b4b19_zpsf29bcc0e.jpg
  • cem614
    cem614 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Here's my contribution: tonight's dessert:
    602f1981-4708-405b-addd-81febf5b4b19_zpsf29bcc0e.jpg

Ohhh myyyy.....I need to step it up.

What is it?
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    Here's my contribution: tonight's dessert
    ((Awesome Dessert Picture))

I Am Not Worthy!!!.
    Way TO Raise The Bar!
  • Cindyinpg
    Options

Ohhh myyyy.....I need to step it up.

What is it?
    Angel food cake: 150cals
    Frozen Strawberries: 50cals (the season for fresh strawberries is over up here :sad: )
    Chapmans Black Jack Cherry Frozen Yogurt 1 cup 240cals
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    Brainy Burro, I noticed on your post that you talked about how our macro goals are fixed and that it is incorrect that MFP increases them with exercise. I guess I knew that, but I never really thought about what it meant. I certainly knew that we didn't need to worry about meeting the fiber increases. But if I am understanding it right: after meeting our fixed protein, fat, micro, fiber goals, there is no need to worry about balancing the 'exercise/discretionary calories? Or should we should be increasing our macros equally?
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    Options
    Not sure if this is appropriate to post here but here is my last timed attempt at eating an entire pizza:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HXMyHSd-ws

I was in maintenance at the time and the pizza fit into my weekly calorie and macro targets nicely.

This week my diet is more controlled but I will repeat the challenge again one day next week (after my marathon) when I hope to break the 10 minute pizza barrier.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Brainy Burro, I noticed on your post that you talked about how our macro goals are fixed and that it is incorrect that MFP increases them with exercise. I guess I knew that, but I never really thought about what it meant. I certainly knew that we didn't need to worry about meeting the fiber increases. But if I am understanding it right: after meeting our fixed protein, fat, micro, fiber goals, there is no need to worry about balancing the 'exercise/discretionary calories? Or should we should be increasing our macros equally?

MFP assumes those extra calories should be allocated according to the same ratios you have set for your other calories. i don't view it that way. those calories are completely discretionary to me. if i was eating them back, i'd try to eat more fat to get closer to the standard recommendation for my body weight, but other than that... i wouldn't worry about how they are allocated.

here are the standard rules. i don't follow the fat rule because it's just a bit too much for me (i don't want to eat 800 calories of fat per day and have fats set to 50% of my intake). i do attempt to meet my protein goal. that's important to me for LBM retention.

minimum daily fats = 0.35g/lb of bodyweight
    daily protein = 0.8g/lb of LBM

LBM = (100%-BF%) x bodyweight

these goals are functions of your bodyweight and BF%. going for a 2.5 hour walk at the end of the day doesn't magically make my body need another 70g of protein if i've already met my daily goal. that's just a waste of protein, especially if i am drinking a protein shake to get it (a 10lb bag of Optimum Nutrition gold standard whey goes for about $110). so you can do whatever you want to do with those discretionary calories at the end of the day. :)

as i lose more weight, i will try to keep my fat intake around the same level though, so that macro will slowly increase from the current 30% setting.
  • LadyKT
    Options

MFP assumes those extra calories should be allocated according to the same ratios you have set for your other calories. i don't view it that way. those calories are completely discretionary to me. if i was eating them back, i'd try to eat more fat to get closer to the standard recommendation for my body weight, but other than that... i wouldn't worry about how they are allocated.

here are the standard rules. i don't follow the fat rule because it's just a bit too much for me (i don't want to eat 800 calories of fat per day and have fats set to 50% of my intake). i do attempt to meet my protein goal. that's important to me for LBM retention.

these goals are functions of your bodyweight and BF%. going for a 2.5 hour walk at the end of the day doesn't magically make my body need another 70g of protein if i've already met my daily goal. that's just a waste of protein, especially if i am drinking a protein shake to get it (a 10lb bag of Optimum Nutrition gold standard whey goes for about $110). so you can do whatever you want to do with those discretionary calories at the end of the day. :)

I have a question about that - what if you calorie cycle? Would you still aim to hit the same protein & fat target or base it on a percentage? Or would you just eat less carbs on a lower day? Sorry if its a silly question, i just never figured how one did macros while calorie cycling.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

I have a question about that - what if you calorie cycle? Would you still aim to hit the same protein & fat target or base it on a percentage? Or would you just eat less carbs on a lower day? Sorry if its a silly question, i just never figured how one did macros while calorie cycling.

i don't calorie cycle. at least not intentionally. it's an idea borrowed from the body building world and being applied to weight loss for non-bodybuilders. in my personal opinion, it's more broscience than actual science. as i understand it, it's more of a strategy to control appetite than anything else, so i don't see it as necessary for my weight loss. *shrugs*

all that said, your protein and fat goals are goals you should try to meet every day, even on low calorie days. so i guess if you're calorie cycling, you should preferentially eat foods high in fat and protein on those low calorie days to get as close to your goals as you can.

1g protein = 1g carbs = approx. 4 calories
    1g fat = approx. 9 calories
  • Cindyinpg
    Options

as i lose more weight, i will try to keep my fat intake around the same level though, so that macro will slowly increase from the current 30% setting.
    That's good to know. I set my macros on that calculation above a few months ago, but with eating back exercise calories I've been struggling to hit the higher protein goals MFP sets. As an example, today, (yesterday now, I guess), I had 150 grams of protein and it still wanted me to choke back another 11 grams. Realistically I shouldn't need more than 120 or so. I've been thinking something was wonky but I wasn't sure what it was.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    I am sitting in my lab diabolically plotting the next "nasty" thing I am going to eat - muwahh hah hah! :smokin:
  • LadyKT
    Options
    I am sitting in my lab diabolically plotting the next "nasty" thing I am going to eat - muwahh hah hah! :smokin:

I had a latte & a donut. And used up almost all my carb allowance for the day.

I think I'm doing this wrong....