JMBR start 9/30/13

Options

Replies

• LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options

I laugh whenever Jillian mentions "all the weight you've lost" because I've not lost any! I'm not gaining weight or overeating, but I can't seem to sustain the motivation to eat at a 500+ deficit. Any advice, guys? :/

Are you netting only 500 calories? That is really rough. I do not follow the meal plan but eat 1200 plus exercise calories back so usually about 1500-1600 a day as MFP suggested. I have a lot more to lose than you and I believe when she makes her statements about weight lose it is for larger people. At one time she says 5 lbs a week, that is not going to happen for many people. I would definitly try eating more.
  • LessthanKris
    Options
    Today I started Week 13. I was tempted to call it quits at 12 weeks but I could definitly improve on 11 and 12 and like that it is bringing me right up to the week of Thanksgiving.

Keep at it ladies. I am already feeling great just having stuck through this program, regardless of the results.
  • Happytofu
    Happytofu Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Are you netting only 500 calories? That is really rough. I do not follow the meal plan but eat 1200 plus exercise calories back so usually about 1500-1600 a day as MFP suggested. I have a lot more to lose than you and I believe when she makes her statements about weight lose it is for larger people. At one time she says 5 lbs a week, that is not going to happen for many people. I would definitly try eating more.
    Not even 500, not when I average out the entire week. I'll be really good for about three days and then eat at maintenance for a few, but I log everything diligently and should still be losing 1/4 of a kg a week. I definitely underestimate my exercise calories so it can't be that.

I'm definitely not keeping up the level of cardio I used to, back in America when I had access to a 24/7 and $10/month gym. I was easily burning 800+ calories a day. Here, the gyms are expensive, far away, and have very limited hours, and my apartment is on the second floor so I need to be mindful of when I do cardio workouts. (I carpeted my floor in a sandwich of a bunch of yoga mats, then a rug, then two more yoga mats on top, and I work out in socks, but I can hear my neighbor clipping her nails... the walls are that thin.)

I mean, I'm an ovo-vegetarian!! I eat exclusively vegetables, beans, fresh fruit, whole grains, and sometimes eggs. My only regular guilty splurges are chocolate and cheerios (original! with no added sugar!) but I can pack away impressive amounts of both, easily enough to undo the benefits of sixty minutes of Jillian. :frown:

I'm a little embarrassed to post this, but here's a picture I took shortly before starting BR: http://happytofu.org/images/dress.jpg (it's not my official "before" picture... that one shows way more skin... hopefully I'll look so badass after completing BR that I can post both it and the after)

So, I'm not stupid, I know I don't have a lot of weight to lose, but I'd really like to be able to SEE all these muscles I can feel getting bigger!! Plus, I swear all 5kg went right to my stomach, exactly where I would most like to see some definition. :grumble:

Anyway, I'm going to stop whining about my lack of weight loss and do my last W5 (for this cycle anyway). I'll kick it's *kitten*, too, because I've gotten stronger if not thinner!! :sick: ...then I'll eat a piece of the pumpkin pie I just made. (I think I'm starting to see my problem. :laugh: )
  • Happytofu
    Options
    OMG I can't believe it wouldn't let me post P u s s y c a t

I choked on my water when I read this. That's HILARIOUS. I also was struggling to figure out what you possibly could have written, as f-ing cat made no sense. :laugh:
  • ktno1
    ktno1 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I don't think I hate workout 7 as much as I hated workout 5. I feel insane for saying that.
  • LessthanKris
    Options

Not even 500, not when I average out the entire week. I'll be really good for about three days and then eat at maintenance for a few, but I log everything diligently and should still be losing 1/4 of a kg a week. I definitely underestimate my exercise calories so it can't be that.

So, I'm not stupid, I know I don't have a lot of weight to lose, but I'd really like to be able to SEE all these muscles I can feel getting bigger!!

One thing you see alot on these forum is the idea for not eating below 1200 calories (I recently posted a thread about it). If you are too low, you can really hurt your metabolism. Do a search if you have not already. I found users to have compelling arguments against going too low on calories. It sounds like you can enjoy your slice of pie and even then some :O). When people start weight training they start eating more calories too to feed those muscles.

I can totally understand wanting to see the muscles. I have the opposite problem in that I have so much fat covering those muscles that I cannot see the definition she promises in her DVDs. I have dropped weight and inches, but when I look in the mirror, I see how far I have to go and I think it will take me awhile to truly appreciate the road to my goal.
  • Happytofu
    Options
    One thing you see alot on these forum is the idea for not eating below 1200 calories (I recently posted a thread about it). If you are too low, you can really hurt your metabolism. Do a search if you have not already. I found users to have compelling arguments against going too low on calories. It sounds like you can enjoy your slice of pie and even then some :O). When people start weight training they start eating more calories too to feed those muscles.

I can totally understand wanting to see the muscles. I have the opposite problem in that I have so much fat covering those muscles that I cannot see the definition she promises in her DVDs. I have dropped weight and inches, but when I look in the mirror, I see how far I have to go and I think it will take me awhile to truly appreciate the road to my goal.
    Yaah... I think I should try upping my cardio, since cutting more calories clearly isn't an effective strategy for me.

I think it can be motivating in its own way, though. By the time you and I slim down enough to see definition, our muscles will be huuuuuge! It's like slowly unwrapping a present!

Thanks for the encouragement! Now let's DO THIS THING! :mad:
  • Daisychain65
    Daisychain65 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    First W10 today, can't say I was brilliant but at least I was able to give it a good go and I burned 300 cals which is high for me for these workouts. I do my first cardio 3 tomorrow which some seem to like and others hate so I'm going in with an open mind. How's everyone else doing?
  • ktno1
    Options
    First W10 today, can't say I was brilliant but at least I was able to give it a good go and I burned 300 cals which is high for me for these workouts. I do my first cardio 3 tomorrow which some seem to like and others hate so I'm going in with an open mind. How's everyone else doing?

WO10 looks weirdly fun to me. I'm sure that's just because I haven't done it yet. Also I'm scared for cardio 3. It looks insane!

I'm doing cardio 2 today and that concludes week 7 (I'm a few days behind) Then one more week of WO7 & WO8 & Cardio 2 and then I'm officially done with phase 2.

I'm terrified for phase 3 although last night I was attempting to show my mum what a wheel push-up was and to my great surprise I could actually do it! Haha I'm sure I can't do anything in workout 11 though :P
  • ktno1
    Options
    I'm really sick of cardio 2 - it's so hard for me. I only have to do it twice more which is great, but then I have to start doing cardio 3. I have taken a sneak peak at the workouts in phase 3 and I'm just sitting here wondering to myself how I will ever be able to do them, even with modifications.

I am now 3 days past where I quit this program last year. I have just finished week 7 today. If I finish week 8 I'll be really proud of myself for finishing phase 2, which I didn't manage to do last time. I really want to keep going and do phase 3 but I'm just so intimidated and I feel like my body just won't be able to handle it.

I guess all I can do is try. It's no good wussing out before I've even attempted it, I guess.
  • Daisychain65
    Options
    I'm really sick of cardio 2 - it's so hard for me. I only have to do it twice more which is great, but then I have to start doing cardio 3. I have taken a sneak peak at the workouts in phase 3 and I'm just sitting here wondering to myself how I will ever be able to do them, even with modifications.

I am now 3 days past where I quit this program last year. I have just finished week 7 today. If I finish week 8 I'll be really proud of myself for finishing phase 2, which I didn't manage to do last time. I really want to keep going and do phase 3 but I'm just so intimidated and I feel like my body just won't be able to handle it.

I guess all I can do is try. It's no good wussing out before I've even attempted it, I guess.

Definitely no wussing! Nobody said you have to do it perfectly, just do your best, adapt where you need to and think of how proud of yourself you'll be when you reach the end.
  • ktno1
    Options

Definitely no wussing! Nobody said you have to do it perfectly, just do your best, adapt where you need to and think of how proud of yourself you'll be when you reach the end.

These are the exact thoughts I need to hammer into my head! So glad to have you all for support! :)
  • Daisychain65
    Options
    1st Cardio 3 done today and I'm still standing, though there was a point straight after where I wasn't. It's really not too bad, hard but broken down into 20 second exercises so you kinda know you can do it . I can't say I was doing the moves as quickly as they were on screen or as competently but I was able to give them all a go. Feeling good :happy:
  • ktno1
    Options
    1st Cardio 3 done today and I'm still standing, though there was a point straight after where I wasn't. It's really not too bad, hard but broken down into 20 second exercises so you kinda know you can do it . I can't say I was doing the moves as quickly as they were on screen or as competently but I was able to give them all a go. Feeling good :happy:

That's awesome! I hope I'm able to say the same thing...
  • KMJ1686
    KMJ1686 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I just went through all the posts...you guys are doing so well...I wish I was still doing the program :sad:

A little update...I never went to my rheumatologist because I just knew that wasn't the problem. I have an appointment on Tuesday with an orthopedic.

Quick question...has anyone ever use a knee brace before? Did it help and what kind did you use? Just a simple one, I don't need anything fancy.

My knees still aren't doing so great, a little better but not healing fast enough for me. I've been missing Zumba classes and I probably should just go and modify like I did--but when I know the moves and dances I don't like modifying :grumble: Something is better than nothing though--I also miss doing Jillian Michael's so I'm very curious what the orthopedic has to say on Tuesday.
  • LessthanKris
    Options
    [/quote]
    I'm terrified for phase 3 although last night I was attempting to show my mum what a wheel push-up was and to my great surprise I could actually do it! Haha I'm sure I can't do anything in workout 11 though :P
    [/quote

Oh my gosh, if you can do a wheel push up, I think you will do great on the other workouts. I have a hard time getting off the crown of my head or keeping my hands flat on the ground to get up to even hold wheel, let alone push up.I think that, the dive bombers, and holding chudarunga (sp?) are the worst. The rest of the moves are manageble.

Only one more Workout 12 today and one more Cardio 3 on Saturday and I am done!!! I do not find cardio 3 too bad. I think the worst part is cannonballs after all the high knees. The rest does not seem so bad and goes by really quickly. Doing Cardio 3 two times a weeks though did start to bother my knees.

ktno1, keep with it and do what you can. I left weeks where I definitly needed work but I figure hopefully on the next round I will be even stronger and do better. Leaves a reason to through a second round too.
  • hcobb33
    hcobb33 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    OMG I can't believe it wouldn't let me post P u s s y c a t

LOL I literally spent ten minutes trying to work out what that word was supposed to be and why on earth it was censored! Hahahaha so ridiculous!

Haha - me too!!
  • hcobb33
    hcobb33 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Well, there you go. Go at your own pace, it's still valid. You gave it your best effort and that's all you can ask of yourself :)
  • LessthanKris
    Options
    I finished! Will share final results after my rest day because the scale as not moved since my last weigh in.

I am going to miss Jillian (crazy huh) over the next few weeks but I am going to give my body a break from all the damn plyo every day for the last 5 weeks. I may throw in a 30 Day Shred or Ripped in 30 every once in awhile but now I wonder if those will be much of a challenge.
  • ktno1
    Options
    Hey everyone! I just went through all the posts...you guys are doing so well...I wish I was still doing the program :sad:

A little update...I never went to my rheumatologist because I just knew that wasn't the problem. I have an appointment on Tuesday with an orthopedic.

Quick question...has anyone ever use a knee brace before? Did it help and what kind did you use? Just a simple one, I don't need anything fancy.

My knees still aren't doing so great, a little better but not healing fast enough for me. I've been missing Zumba classes and I probably should just go and modify like I did--but when I know the moves and dances I don't like modifying :grumble: Something is better than nothing though--I also miss doing Jillian Michael's so I'm very curious what the orthopedic has to say on Tuesday.

Hope things improve soon! I'm also curious about the knee brace. Anyone?

I feel like my knee pain is because the stabilising muscles/tendons/whatever (memory of first year anatomy is failing me) aren't strong enough. I also know my quads are a lot stronger than my hamstrings which causes an imbalance.