JMBR start 9/30/13

Options

Replies

• LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    [crazy mode/] Woohooo! scorpion pushups! Wheel pushups! Pushups, pushups, dive bombers (or something like that...) oh, and that yoga-ranga thing Grrrrrrrr...[crazy mode off] :drinker:

I could not believe when I saw Omar doing the scorpion pushups! He had his leg touching the floor. I can't even get my head off the ground for a wheel pushup for more then a second.
  • KMJ1686
    KMJ1686 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Anyone else having issues with their knees hurting? Prior to this I never had an issue with pain, and I remember last year I had the same problem, but my knees hurt daily and sometimes wonder how I'm going to be able to go on. I'm thinking I may have to stop for a bit and have my knees recover :ohwell:

My knees do not like jumping moves. I'm actually doing okay this time around by focusing really hard on good form and they're not giving me much trouble. But in the later workouts where everything is "plyo" I will probably still be stepping instead of jumping to save my knees!

I've been trying to push through it and then both times this week I've cut back on lunging or jumping. I do Zumba twice a week and certain times through out the 1hr we do squats and lunges and I can't even do that anymore without my knees killing me. :( I didn't even workout yesterday. I might have to completely modify certain ones to protect my knees especially for the upcoming workouts with more plyo.

Are you doing Jillian's cardio 2? If you are, cutting that out is the first good move to save your knees. And definitely don't do cardio 3!

Those crossover lunges bother my knees - I'm just going to do side lunges instead if it starts to hurt. And the "lunge chops" in workout 6 - I do those the same way we do them in WO5 (without the step) otherwise it really aggravates my knees.

If you're modifying as best you can and your knees are still giving you hell, all you can really do is take some time off. Have you considered getting a knee brace? I'm seriously thinking about it, not sure how helpful they are though.

I haven't done Cardio 2, couldn't do it lol Last week I did Turbo Jam in place of it. I'm taking this whole week off, even Zumba and starting back up on Monday. I will be modifying as best as I can and never though of doing the same thing with the lunge chops for workout 6 as we do in 5. Good tip! If I don't seen an improvement next week I may get a knee brace or I just might stop the program completely.
  • ktno1
    ktno1 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Anyone else having issues with their knees hurting? Prior to this I never had an issue with pain, and I remember last year I had the same problem, but my knees hurt daily and sometimes wonder how I'm going to be able to go on. I'm thinking I may have to stop for a bit and have my knees recover :ohwell:

My knees do not like jumping moves. I'm actually doing okay this time around by focusing really hard on good form and they're not giving me much trouble. But in the later workouts where everything is "plyo" I will probably still be stepping instead of jumping to save my knees!

I've been trying to push through it and then both times this week I've cut back on lunging or jumping. I do Zumba twice a week and certain times through out the 1hr we do squats and lunges and I can't even do that anymore without my knees killing me. :( I didn't even workout yesterday. I might have to completely modify certain ones to protect my knees especially for the upcoming workouts with more plyo.

Are you doing Jillian's cardio 2? If you are, cutting that out is the first good move to save your knees. And definitely don't do cardio 3!

Those crossover lunges bother my knees - I'm just going to do side lunges instead if it starts to hurt. And the "lunge chops" in workout 6 - I do those the same way we do them in WO5 (without the step) otherwise it really aggravates my knees.

If you're modifying as best you can and your knees are still giving you hell, all you can really do is take some time off. Have you considered getting a knee brace? I'm seriously thinking about it, not sure how helpful they are though.

I haven't done Cardio 2, couldn't do it lol Last week I did Turbo Jam in place of it. I'm taking this whole week off, even Zumba and starting back up on Monday. I will be modifying as best as I can and never though of doing the same thing with the lunge chops for workout 6 as we do in 5. Good tip! If I don't seen an improvement next week I may get a knee brace or I just might stop the program completely.

It's really disappointing to have to stop when you're determined to keep going but your body is like "yeah no I'm not doing that, gimme a break!" Jillian's programs always mess with my knees. One reason I think is she does so many reps and does them so quickly. Any time I see any sort of lunge or squat now, I probably do about half as many as they do on the DVD. I do them nice and slowly and concentrate really hard on my form. I think this is saving my knees a bit on this go around. But ultimately, if your knees continue to hurt badly, it's not worth continuing and doing serious damage. I hope the week off improves things! I'll be sad to see you go :(
  • ktno1
    Options
    SO excited for my last ever workout 5 tomorrow! :D
  • NadDrew
    NadDrew Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    About the knees, it will get better as you get stronger....i'm being doing JMBR for 9 months now and my knees are fine I guess the muscles around it are stronger...but my weakest parts are my shoulders, push ups are very tough for me...
  • KMJ1686
    Options

It's really disappointing to have to stop when you're determined to keep going but your body is like "yeah no I'm not doing that, gimme a break!" Jillian's programs always mess with my knees. One reason I think is she does so many reps and does them so quickly. Any time I see any sort of lunge or squat now, I probably do about half as many as they do on the DVD. I do them nice and slowly and concentrate really hard on my form. I think this is saving my knees a bit on this go around. But ultimately, if your knees continue to hurt badly, it's not worth continuing and doing serious damage. I hope the week off improves things! I'll be sad to see you go :(

I don't want to stop, but it's already Friday and I see no improvement with my knees. I don't know what I'm going to do next week. I'm starting week 6 over next week and I hope things go okay. I don't want to go this has been such an awesome group! I definitely will take your advice though on going slower and concentrating more on my form, fewer reps. If I stop the program, I'll definitely come back in a few months just take a break from JM, I'll continue doing something else though with a lower impact on the knees, and I would still keep checking here to see how all of you finish! I just hope I don't have to get to that part! Have a great weekend everyone!!!! :):):)
  • hcobb33
    hcobb33 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yes, my knees hate all the plyo. Last time I started BR, I bought some of those interlocking squishy mats (got mine from Amazon). My work out room is in my basement and the cement floors are KILLER for plyo. The squishy mats help a LOT. I also really have to pay attention to my form while I do the moves like the cross over lunge. For plyo, I try to land softly and on the balls of my feet whenever possible.
  • hcobb33
    Options
    Finished the strength portion of week 6 ... just cardio to go tomorrow. Getting ever closer to phase 3... I haven't previewed them at all and I;m thinking it's probably for the better based on some of the comments I've seen here. EEEEEEP!
  • ktno1
    Options
    Workout 5 is OVER WOOOOOOO!!! I'm sure I will learn to hate workout 7 just as much, if not more.
  • hcobb33
    Options
    Workout 5 is OVER WOOOOOOO!!! I'm sure I will learn to hate workout 7 just as much, if not more.

Good thing it's only for 2 weeks :) 7 is in store for me tomorrow. If I remember correctly, there are crow pushups... kind of awkward, especially since I am still doing modified pushups on my knees. Oh well, I'll make it work.
  • noemibp
    noemibp Posts: 167
    Options

You will. :wink:
  • ktno1
    Options

Good thing it's only for 2 weeks :) 7 is in store for me tomorrow. If I remember correctly, there are crow pushups... kind of awkward, especially since I am still doing modified pushups on my knees. Oh well, I'll make it work.

Haha I remember when I did this last year and I'm doing all these one-legged pushup variations on my knees but still can't do a regular pushup. I felt very silly!
  • ktno1
    Options

You will. :wink:

I'm scared haha
  • Happytofu
    Happytofu Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Aarrrggh I am so jealous!!! I had to take a week off (turns out I had bronchitis... not awesome) so today was only my second W5. I will say, though, I also flushed away my bad attitude and I did MUCH better. I did the yoga warmup twice to ensure I had it down--starting off frustrated was one of my problems last time, probably. This time everything went much better and I was definitely way more tired.

I am legitimately looking forward to W6 tomorrow. I always feel super badass after the even numbers.

I'm stubbornly determined to finish the program by my winter trip starting Dec 21, but now I'm a week behind... so this week I'm going to try to do: W5, W6, W5+C, W6, W5, W6+C, REST. We'll see. ~_~.

For now, I finished my hour workout, so now I get to reward myself with dinner and Downtown Abbey!!
  • ktno1
    Options

Aarrrggh I am so jealous!!! I had to take a week off (turns out I had bronchitis... not awesome) so today was only my second W5. I will say, though, I also flushed away my bad attitude and I did MUCH better. I did the yoga warmup twice to ensure I had it down--starting off frustrated was one of my problems last time, probably. This time everything went much better and I was definitely way more tired.

I am legitimately looking forward to W6 tomorrow. I always feel super badass after the even numbers.

I'm stubbornly determined to finish the program by my winter trip starting Dec 21, but now I'm a week behind... so this week I'm going to try to do: W5, W6, W5+C, W6, W5, W6+C, REST. We'll see. ~_~.

For now, I finished my hour workout, so now I get to reward myself with dinner and Downtown Abbey!!

Being sick sucks! :(

It's amazing how much your attitude can make a difference. And I agree about the yoga warmup - my inability to do it put me in a bad mood from the very beginning!

Very impressive that you're trying to catch up by doing the cardios on the same day. I do that here and there when I take days off for whatever reason life throws at me. I feel like a total champion after doing two workouts in one day!
  • ngraysmith
    ngraysmith Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am finally back to Jillian after having to take 2 weeks off due to ParvoVirus. Not fun. Happy to be back! I did start with Workout 1 again today, planning W2 for tomorrow, moving on to W3 and W4 at some point this week. Then planning to do two more weeks of W3 and W4, so I will finish the first phase by the end of November. Phase 2 during December - hopefully will combat all that holiday stress and parties.

Only good news about my 2 weeks off, I still managed to loose some weight and inches, so that is great! Down 17 pounds since I started September 19th and 7.5 pounds since starting Body Revolution on October 7th. Haven't measured yet (can't find the measuring tape) but I try on my want-to-fit-into-by-Thanksgiving pants on and I can get them buttoned and not explode out of them so that is good. I think in 2 weeks I will actually be able to wear them to Thanksgiving dinner!

I haven't had a chance to review posts, will try to soon.
  • KMJ1686
    Options
    Hi everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend! My knees are still not good, and actually are getting worse :-( I'm going to end the program and just focus on Zumba without doing the squats and lunges. I hope things get better because I would love to jump back into it in January. If anyone does another round in January I'll be here again! I wish you all luck and I know you can do this! Makes me sad to stop but I have to get my knees better...and now with the winter coming the cold air isn't helping them.
  • ktno1
    Options
    Hi everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend! My knees are still not good, and actually are getting worse :-( I'm going to end the program and just focus on Zumba without doing the squats and lunges. I hope things get better because I would love to jump back into it in January. If anyone does another round in January I'll be here again! I wish you all luck and I know you can do this! Makes me sad to stop but I have to get my knees better...and now with the winter coming the cold air isn't helping them.

So sad to see you go! :(:(:(

I will possibly be up for another round in January so might join you then. Good luck with all your goals!
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Hope you feel better. I am finishing up in the next two weeks and plan on starting again January 6th so hope to see you then!
  • hcobb33
    Options

Haha I remember when I did this last year and I'm doing all these one-legged pushup variations on my knees but still can't do a regular pushup. I felt very silly!

7 was just as ugly as I remembered. That's ok, I'm determined to conquer the entire program.