JMBR start 9/30/13

Options

Replies

• Happytofu
    Happytofu Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I too am starting this for the 2nd time. I bought this last year and got pregnant soon after starting, so had to put all the DVDs on the shelf. I started 3 weeks ago, but injured my foot so am repeating week 2 because I can't do some of the higher impact stuff in workout 3. I'm finding the meal an too time consuming and expensive. Do people just follow the net 1200 calories on MFP, or do you keep your total calories consumed under1200?
    I actually really like a lot of her recipes, and I'm a freakin' no-dairy vegetarian! I just modify them a lot. Her shiitake/barely stew tastes just like this popular vegan Thanksgiving roast (especially because I made vegan andoullie sausages to sub) and I ended up making it for lunch two weeks in a row. (I batch cook.)  Her potato salad, chili bean burgers, and banana pops are also big favorites of mine.

But overall I use MFP because there just isn't enough variety to keep me interested for three months.

I eat 1,400-1,600 a day wheras most people do 1,200. They're dropping weight and I'm on a plataue (kinda... muscle is definitely replacing fat, just currently at the same rate).

Anyway, just track honestly and you can always modify/adjust later.

Good luck and hopefully a swift recovery!
  • ktno1
    ktno1 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I had a bunch of resistance bands to substitute for hers but they never really worked the same. Ended up just ordering her cable from amazon for like $12 and it's actually really good. Glad I spent the money.

Anyway, good luck on those last stubborn kgs! Hopefully phase 2 will kick their butt and melt them away! :)

That would be tempting if I shipping here didn't cost more than the thing itself. I may grab one next time I'm in the states, though.

Thanks! I do confess that I'm not as good as you guys with calories. I usually eat around 1,400-1,600 a day but that's lower than my BMR without active lifestyle or exercise factored in. My job involves a lot of running around and I don't own a car or even a chair, so whenever I try to stick closer to 1,200 my energy tanks and it's no good.

Tonight is W5 again. Ugh. It's not nearly as exhausting as W6 but that's because I can barely keep up/do proper form/stay balanced. It's suuuuuch a bummer!

Yeah shipping is a royal pain. Makes me wish I didn't live in Australia haha. 1400-1600 is perfectly fine. Obviously your body is making changes (even if the scale won't admit it) which is great! I sit on my butt all day except to do JMBR so I am fine on 1200. If I had to be more active I'd probably pass out on 1200 and would up it a bit.

I just rewatched W5 to see what I'm in for again tomorrow. The first two circuits are pretty tolerable. The third one I just die and then the last one I'm falling all over the place because by that time my body's too exhausted to handle any sort of balancing moves. Single leg squats are the devil!

I agree on being more exhausted with W6 but I felt like I actually kept up with it and was exhausted in a good way not in a "oh wow I couldn't do anything and I'm dying" way.
  • ktno1
    Options
    Wow cardio 2 is tough! Having said that, I kept up with absolutely everything except the burpees. I just don't even have the flexibility to jump back into a ball and then jump up. My knees splay to the sides or I land with straight legs. The form is just awful. I focused on doing only 5 each time, nice and slowly, with the best form I could. Hopefully these will improve. Next time I'll push myself more in the 2nd and 3rd circuits too!
  • KMJ1686
    KMJ1686 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Yeah shipping is a royal pain. Makes me wish I didn't live in Australia haha.

You live in Australia? Haha Australia is a place on my bucket list to visit someday!
  • KMJ1686
    Options
    Weighed in today and gained .5 :grumble: Not thrilled :ohwell: but oh well...on to week 6!
  • ktno1
    Options

You live in Australia? Haha Australia is a place on my bucket list to visit someday!

Yep sure do! My bucket list involves visiting....pretty much anywhere else haha!
    Weighed in today and gained .5 :grumble: Not thrilled :ohwell: but oh well...on to week 6!

What about inches though? I have a feeling I won't lost much weight adjusting to workouts 5 and 6 because my muscles will be retaining water for some serious healing!
  • KMJ1686
    Options

Yep sure do! My bucket list involves visiting....pretty much anywhere else haha!

What about inches though? I have a feeling I won't lost much weight adjusting to workouts 5 and 6 because my muscles will be retaining water for some serious healing!

Ever since I seen the episode from when Oprah went there during her 25th season I was in awe and would love to get there someday...Hey we'll swap I'll go there and you can come here lol

Inches...I feel like I'm shrinking...I agree with the adjusting to workout 5 & 6, I'm beyond sore lol Maybe next week will be better now that I know what to expect. I can't be discouraged though--just gotta keep moving! I'm almost half way through the program! Wow, just writing that, it's crazy to think I'm going into week 6 on Monday! It'll be tough though this month, our work always brings in a catering company to do a Thanksgiving lunch a week before Thanksgiving...Thanksgiving is a favorite of mine---smaller portions that all I gotta think about :wink:
  • Daisychain65
    Daisychain65 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the burpees too, not sure I'll ever master those but I try to do what I can, just much slower than they are doing on screen.
  • ktno1
    Options
    Guys I'm having a really hard time with workout 5. I actually stopped and just cried twice during it today. Up until now I've felt like I'm keeping up but this workout is just so tough for me and negative thoughts are starting to get the better of me.

In the first circuit, I can't really do the pushups so I'm just kind of holding plank then rotating into sideplank, which is fine, but I can't do it straight after mountain climbers. I just collapse on the floor. I also can't really do the jump squats after being in that stupid crescent pose. My quads kill me!

Second circuit I actually like and I get a bit of confidence back during it and generally feel fine.

That is until the 3rd circuit hits. I can NOT do those crab things with a leg in the air. My arms are shaking trying to keep up even with both feet on the floor. Cable punches are impossible after that circuit. The flyes I almost kept up with until the last set when my arms just gave out.

The fourth circuit - I don't get why the single leg squats are there. They just make my glutes/hamstrings KILL and I have to use them again tomorrow. I don't feel it anywhere else. The tricep pushup things are weird because they don't hurt. I can't feel anything working/burning, but I struggle to do them without moving my legs around. I think my triceps simply aren't strong enough.

When I read over this I actually realise I'm doing MOST of the workout pretty well, with a few modifications here and there. It's not really that bad. It's just the mindset I get myself into. Ugh!

How is everyone going? Still keeping up? Someone else vent so I know I'm not the only one that's super frustrated with this stupid workout!
  • ktno1
    Options
    I struggle with the burpees too, not sure I'll ever master those but I try to do what I can, just much slower than they are doing on screen.

Same here. I watched a video on youtube where they start the burpees with legs spread a bit and put their hands down on the floor between the feet. It looked so much easier/less stressful on the back. I'm going to try it next time.
  • Daisychain65
    Options
    Guys I'm having a really hard time with workout 5. I actually stopped and just cried twice during it today. Up until now I've felt like I'm keeping up but this workout is just so tough for me and negative thoughts are starting to get the better of me.

In the first circuit, I can't really do the pushups so I'm just kind of holding plank then rotating into sideplank, which is fine, but I can't do it straight after mountain climbers. I just collapse on the floor. I also can't really do the jump squats after being in that stupid crescent pose. My quads kill me!

Second circuit I actually like and I get a bit of confidence back during it and generally feel fine.

That is until the 3rd circuit hits. I can NOT do those crab things with a leg in the air. My arms are shaking trying to keep up even with both feet on the floor. Cable punches are impossible after that circuit. The flyes I almost kept up with until the last set when my arms just gave out.

The fourth circuit - I don't get why the single leg squats are there. They just make my glutes/hamstrings KILL and I have to use them again tomorrow. I don't feel it anywhere else. The tricep pushup things are weird because they don't hurt. I can't feel anything working/burning, but I struggle to do them without moving my legs around. I think my triceps simply aren't strong enough.

When I read over this I actually realise I'm doing MOST of the workout pretty well, with a few modifications here and there. It's not really that bad. It's just the mindset I get myself into. Ugh!

How is everyone going? Still keeping up? Someone else vent so I know I'm not the only one that's super frustrated with this stupid workout!
    Don't get disheartened you are definitely not alone!

This sounds like me with WO5, I have never managed a proper pushup (ever) and I just rotate into side plank too. I manage about two dips with my leg up then I'm back to doing it (or trying) with my feet planted. I didn't find the tricep pushes hard either to start with, but I didn't have my hand positioned properly at the armpit and I wasn't fully straightening it, I also found it better now I use my abs more to raise my body, so at least I'm getting a better work out on those muscles. Still not overly difficult this way but harder than it was. With the other moves I've found slowing it down a bit and just keeping to a steady pace means I can keep going through it with out stopping even if I'm not 'keeping up' with the team.

It seems to me the idea behind doing this is to get better and stronger, we haven't all started from the same point so we can't all achieve the moves exactly as the are done on screen, and that's okay, we'll get there and when we do Jillian will just add more weight and make us do it under water probably lol

You are doing brilliantly, hitting week 5 is an achievement on its own. Now stop with the negative thoughts and 'remember you can do anything for 30 minutes' Oh and Jillian WILL come through the screen and yell at you if you 'phone if in' x
  • ktno1
    Options
    This sounds like me with WO5, I have never managed a proper pushup (ever) and I just rotate into side plank too. I manage about two dips with my leg up then I'm back to doing it (or trying) with my feet planted. I didn't find the tricep pushes hard either to start with, but I didn't have my hand positioned properly at the armpit and I wasn't fully straightening it, I also found it better now I use my abs more to raise my body, so at least I'm getting a better work out on those muscles. Still not overly difficult this way but harder than it was. With the other moves I've found slowing it down a bit and just keeping to a steady pace means I can keep going through it with out stopping even if I'm not 'keeping up' with the team.

It seems to me the idea behind doing this is to get better and stronger, we haven't all started from the same point so we can't all achieve the moves exactly as the are done on screen, and that's okay, we'll get there and when we do Jillian will just add more weight and make us do it under water probably lol

You are doing brilliantly, hitting week 5 is an achievement on its own. Now stop with the negative thoughts and 'remember you can do anything for 30 minutes' Oh and Jillian WILL come through the screen and yell at you if you 'phone if in' x

Hahaha thank you SO much for this! :) I guess I do need remember to take my time. I should stop looking at the screen so intently and just go at my own pace with good form. I agree with the abs thing on the triceps pushes - at least then I know I'm working something and can feel it. I'll try it next time. Also I literally laughed out loud at "make us do it under water" hahaha I genuinely would not be surprised, knowing her.

Thanks again for the support! You ladies are all so lovely :) Let's kick some butt!
  • Daisychain65
    Options
    Week 7 WO7 1st attempt.............................The only heart I want to gargle right now is Jillian's :mad: , that is all!
  • ktno1
    Options
    Week 7 WO7 1st attempt.............................The only heart I want to gargle right now is Jillian's :mad: , that is all!

Oh no! I'm scared!!!
  • hcobb33
    hcobb33 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Starting Week 6 tomorrow. This is my second go round. I finished phase 2 last year and then sustained a knee injury and never did phase 3. This time, if everything goes as planned, I should be done by the end of December. I did Ripped in 30 before starting BR again and it seems to have helped.
  • KMJ1686
    Options

Workout 5 is tough...the first time I started it I yelled and complained and swore at Jillian the whole 30 minutes lol

I can't do a normal pushup for the life of me! I modify and go onto my knees, quickly go into a plank and turn and raise the arm. I don't go as fast as them so I can do correct form.

For the crab things...if you notice where they place there hands, finger tips facing towards your back, I turn my hands facing towards the side, it's easier for me to complete that---otherwise I can feel I will pull a muscle in my arms. Also, I can not lift a leg either, I feel it in my hamstring and it feels like I will pull something in there too so to avoid a setback I have to modify.

Hang in there girl!! Almost on to week 7....but from what I just read from DaisyChain...I'm nervous lol
  • ktno1
    Options

Workout 5 is tough...the first time I started it I yelled and complained and swore at Jillian the whole 30 minutes lol

I can't do a normal pushup for the life of me! I modify and go onto my knees, quickly go into a plank and turn and raise the arm. I don't go as fast as them so I can do correct form.

For the crab things...if you notice where they place there hands, finger tips facing towards your back, I turn my hands facing towards the side, it's easier for me to complete that---otherwise I can feel I will pull a muscle in my arms. Also, I can not lift a leg either, I feel it in my hamstring and it feels like I will pull something in there too so to avoid a setback I have to modify.

Hang in there girl!! Almost on to week 7....but from what I just read from DaisyChain...I'm nervous lol

I feel it in the hamstring too! Feels like something's going to tear so I'll keep modifying on that one. Good idea on going to the knees for the pushup - I'll try that next time, and also turning the hands sideways, but I feel like that releases the work from the triceps a lot?

Just when we're starting to get over the dread of workout 5...along comes workout 7 rearing its ugly head!!!
  • ktno1
    Options
    Starting Week 6 tomorrow. This is my second go round. I finished phase 2 last year and then sustained a knee injury and never did phase 3. This time, if everything goes as planned, I should be done by the end of December. I did Ripped in 30 before starting BR again and it seems to have helped.

I'm starting Week 6 in two days so we're just about at the same point. I also did this last year. In fact, the end of week 6 is pretty much when I quit so if I finish phase 2 I'll be really happy.
  • ktno1
    Options
    I genuinely enjoy workout 6! I never thought I'd say that about one of these workouts...

The only thing I'm still struggling with is single leg squats. I'm just placing the toe of my other foot on the floor to help me get deeper on the way down, but on the way up I'm lifting the foot so only one leg is working to push up. I feel my legs working really hard that way, but doing it all on one leg I just can't get the range of motion so I don't really feel like my legs a working. This is a good middle ground for me until I get the strength/flexibility/balance to do the whole movement on one leg.
  • ktno1
    Options
    Also 6 has way better music than 5. Does that affect anyone else? The music in 6 really puts me in the mood to work hard.