December workout reports

Options
lwoodroff
lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
Whether you are doing SL 5x5, 3x5, Starting Strength, Madcow, Texas, Wendler, or some other wondrous stuff, come and tell us about it and we can share the highs and lows of lifting together :)

Replies

• catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be on vacation from mid-December to mid-January. I won't be near a gym so have started doing "You are your own gym" instead of 5/3/1. I'm determined to not come home 10 lbs heavier.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I will be beginning 2nd week of 5x5 tomorrow (or Monday) and really looking forward to the progress i make during December.
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Wendler 5/3/1: Bench

First time benching on this program. I lowballed the weight. It's a smidge too low, but I will probably just stay there to rehab my shoulder and concentrate on form. Better safe than sorry and in PT again. ;)

40/45/50lbs 1x5+ (last set you do as many reps as you can. I did 20 before my left arm gave out)
    2-15lb DBs 5x10

Bent Over DB Rows 25lb DB 5x10
    Lotsa warm-ups & stretches

The husband worked out with me today--he rarely lifts. It was fun :smile:
    ~Cheryl
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Final workout of Week 3 ???????? && feeling pretty happy ???? progress is being made!

85# Squat 5x5
    70# Bench Press 5x5
    75# Barbell Row 5x5
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    :frown: Not lifting for a while...tendonitis in right wrist/ forearm and both ankles is really slowing me down. I will lurk in the background and live vicariously :sad:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I lifted today... I just kinda did my own thing. Bunch of compound lifts. I did 50 assisted pull ups, and a few arm iso exercises. I like the all you eat approach to lifting. :bigsmile:
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    AAbru I feel for you. Tendonitis sucks. I am back after a long break with high hamstring tendonitis. I just did body weight squats and I used the bar for bench and rows. I just stopped all together because I was worried about getting imbalances if i just did bench and no rows so I am just starting again. I guess my old body really needs to go slowly. And when I start running again I will do it slowly as well. It is quite discouraging to not be able to do what I used to do however I was very happy to be lifting again. I have been feeling that I have been doing a reverse body recomposition (muscle being replace by fat) We just had my mother in law's funeral on friday so I really needed a lift. All the preparation, even though I wasn't directly involved has been exhausting. Now that it is all over I am looking forward to getting back to the healthier lifestyle. I feel like I have really strayed off the path and I am struggling to find my way back.
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! So I've been lurking in this group for a few weeks now while I put my home gym together and worked on proper form. I just completed my first workout of week 2 and so far things are going smoothly.

Squats: 60#
    Overhead press: 50#
    Deadlifts: 105#

I feel like squats are going to be my first failure...today was a bit of a struggle but managed to complete the 5x5. Were squats the first lift that anyone here failed at? I have to admit I'm a tad surprised because like most women, I considered my bottom half to be the strongest part of my body. Also, I feel pretty good doing the deadlifts, but noticed that my back rounds ever so slightly right at the beginning of each lift and then straightens back out after getting the bar off the floor. Any advice for preventing this?
  • LSJC18
    LSJC18 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

If you've seen my post about not being able to lift the empty barbell... I'm able to lift it now! Yay! Haha.

Uhmm I guess I could report my latest lifting stats?

Squat: 65lbs 5x5
    Bench Press: Empty bar (45lbs) 5x5
    Barbell Row: Empty bar (45lbs) 5x5
    Overhead Press: Empty bar (45lbs) 5x5
    Deadlift: 120lbs 1x5

:D

I think my stats are sort of weird.. Haha, I hope I can start adding weights on all my empty bars.. I have very little upper body strength..

Anyway, hope all of you are doing great! <3
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    My game got cancelled Sunday so big conditioning session instead, and it was a chilly 3degrees
    Here it is in all its glory:

Dynamic Warm Up:
    BW Squats 10
    Jumping Jacks 10
    Seal Jumping Jacks 10
    Front Skips – 20yrds down and back
    Stationary Side Lunge 8EL
    Side Shuffle – 20yrds down and back
    Side Stationary Leg Swings 10EL
    Front Stationary Leg Swings 10EL
    60% Build Up Sprint – 30yrds down and back
    Lunge Walk – 10 steps down and back
    Backpedal – 20yrds down and back
    Squat Jumps 5
    75% Build Up Sprint – 40yrds down and back

Change of Direction:
    20yrd Pro Agility Shuttle 3 reps from left
    3 reps from right
    30sec rest between reps

3 Cone Drill 5 reps
    1 min rest between reps

Illinois Drill 3 reps
    Goal to complete all 3 reps in under 15secs

Line Speed Work:
    Loaded 20yrd Sled Sprint 6 reps
    30sec rest between reps

Free Sprints 20yrds 4 reps
    30sec rest between reps, 1min after last rep

30yrd Sprint 3 reps
    Rest time it takes to walk back, 1min after last rep

40yrd Sprint 4reps
    2mins rest between reps
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I swear I just can't get parallel or maybe I just can't see that I am at parallel. My trainer told me that some people just can't achieve it.... I'll keep trying.

Today was rough. My back is cranky. Yoga was interesting yesterday (had to bend the knees when going up and down in sun salutations and was so tight that certain poses I can do were challenging yesterday. Freaking sitting in a car for 6 hours will get you every time). The squat weight was really challenging for me this morning.

Squat 95lbs 5x5
    OHP 55lbs 5x5
    DL 65lbs 1x5

Hears hoping Wed I feel better. It was a so/so day and Wed should probably be better.
  • kellenas
    kellenas Posts: 154
    Options
    I stalled yesterday for the first time on one of my sets for bench. I've been doing the SL 5x5 for 3 weeks and now entering my 4th week. My bench went like this 5-5-5-5-4 at 80lbs. Everything else looks good:

Squat: 95 lbs
    OHP: 60lbs
    Barbell Row: 80lbs
    Deadlift: 155bls
    Bench: back to 75lbs.
  • wendypow
    wendypow Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Have been doing 5x5 since 10/21/13 but switched to 3x5 the last couple of weeks.

Today:

squat: 130 (3x5)
    row: 75 (3x5) I have been stuck at this weight for a month! I HATE ROWS. Hate them.
    bench: 85 (3x5)
  • debress
    debress Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Squat: 95 pounds
    OHP: 60 pounds (5,4,3,3,3)
    Deadlift: 145 x 3

Attempted to deadlift 155, and couldn't get it off the floor. My lifting partner handed me his belt, strapped me in tight, and... still couldn't get it off the floor. After all that, I tried 145 pounds, which I did like a boss last week, and could only manage 3.

But I'm progressing on my squats, so that's something good upon which to focus.
  • cpiton
    Options
    Wendler 5/3/1: Military Press (OHP)

Not my finest. I think I did too much shoulder warm up before lifting and, with my bum shoulder, I just didn't do well.

40/50/55 1x3+ (last set, as many reps as possible--I only got 5. Boo)

DB OHP 4x10 (15lb DBs--could not get that last set for 5x10)

Negative chin ups. Disheartening. 1x10
    I threw in some glute bridges 3x20 with a 45lb BB just to make me feel better. :')
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hey all it's me again...hehehe

Missed Friday no spotter (benching 105 and I need one) and Christmas thing as well so Workout A Today

Still not squats as it still hurts my leg (listening but I don't want to) I slipped Saturday and aggravated it I think so another week off of squats.

Bench 105 today Failed on sets 2-5 4, 2, 2, 2....blah....
    Rows (deload due to injury and no pain while doing it) 5x5 @ 90 feeling good about that

Looking forward to getting back to all my lifts.

Husband wants me to deload down now...gonna wait one more workout.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Frustrating evening.
    57.5kg squats. Only filmed the first set as I got into a debate with a bro who was dropping the bar from a great height about high bar/low bar. Realised my toe slide is better but I'm dropping too low again (my default when I'm concentrating on other things). Also failed to count correctly on the second set. Well, I counted successfully to 3, but forgot somehow I was doing 5s. Like I always do. Numbskull. 535.

42.5kg bench. Was supposed do drop down as I had 3 failures but was so convinced last week's was a fluke as I didn't have a spotter, was determined to give it a last shot. Had one guy spot the first two sets, followed my instructions perfectly. Then he left, so I got one of the staff to spot my third set. Identical set of instructions, but after the first two reps the hovering hands appeared and despite me growling, remained. So technically it was 4 but he helped the last rep ("it's all you" my *kitten*), so counting 553. Grr.

Then got brave and tried the prowler. Oh my goodness my CV fitness has gone to pot. And my teeth hurt from all the cold air! Will be trying that torture again. And that was unladen!
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    AAbru I feel for you. Tendonitis sucks. I am back after a long break with high hamstring tendonitis. I just did body weight squats and I used the bar for bench and rows. I just stopped all together because I was worried about getting imbalances if i just did bench and no rows so I am just starting again. I guess my old body really needs to go slowly. And when I start running again I will do it slowly as well. It is quite discouraging to not be able to do what I used to do however I was very happy to be lifting again. I have been feeling that I have been doing a reverse body recomposition (muscle being replace by fat) We just had my mother in law's funeral on friday so I really needed a lift. All the preparation, even though I wasn't directly involved has been exhausting. Now that it is all over I am looking forward to getting back to the healthier lifestyle. I feel like I have really strayed off the path and I am struggling to find my way back.
    So sorry for your loss. A year ago I completed Insanity and was running 7 miles at a time. Then life got in the way. I am highly frustrated with my injuries. Perhaps I will deload and lift lightly. I think it was OHP that flared my wrist.
  • cpiton
    Options
    Wendler 5/3/1: Deadlift

90/95/105 1x3+ (17 reps on last set)
    5x10 RDL

5x10 leg raises (3x10 lying & 2x10 hanging!) Never been able to do those before :smile: Good day.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'll join the "tendonitis sucks" bandwagon. My wrist is finally feeling better after several months of taking it easy, I also think OHP had something to do with that pain. (too much computer time doesn't help either, ha ha)

I'm doing 5/3/1, just finished up my last session of de-load week so next time will get back to the heavy lifts. Hopefully I can handle it since I've been slacking with the holiday and we just moved also, and my kids had the pukes a couple weeks ago. *sigh* Life.

Squats: 95lbs
    Bench 75 lbs